Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #556
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwynlea View Post
Oh, my. Having just returned home tonight after the sudden passing of my grandmother last Wednesday, I'm shocked, saddened, and numb to hear that one of my podcast friends has also passed on. My heart goes out to the family and close friends of Bob...having been on the end of a hard loss only a few days ago myself, I can empathize with how you're feeling - how I'm still feeling for my granny and how I know we will all feel for a long while to come. Although I only met Bob once, at the podcast meet in December, he felt like a friend to me (as all the pod squad do). In fact, DH was planning to ask Bob on Sunday at the live show if he'd like to get together sometime to go golfing...now DH and I will attend the Sunday memorial sad we will never have the chance to make that offer. My thoughts and prayers are with Bob's family and friends. I just don't know what else to say.
I'm sorry about your grandfather passing

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #557
awatt
My pontoon boat is like a floating patio!

I only met Bob once at the podcast meet, but you didnt even have to meet him to know what a sweet person he was- you could here it come through on the podcast. And a person so full of the magic too, an inspiration for all of us in that respect. Sending my y prayers to his friends and family.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #558
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

I came here because no one else understands my sadness and it is comforting to read other's posts that mirror my exact feelings. What a surprise to see Bob's family and friends post here as well. I am loving the Bawb stories - it helps to ease the pain. What a tribute to Bawb to see the hundreds of posts here - a real testament to his kind heart, wonderful personality, and charming wit. To Diana and the rest of Bawb's family (including Bawb's Dis family) - Bawb's memory will live on forever in our hearts. He means so much to so many people.

~Stacy

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #559
Pin Wizard
I now have a new favorite at Barnies
Don't touch my FDNY Mickey pin!
Virginia girl @ heart

I am so sorry to read this. Many prayers for Bob's family and for all the DISers who make it so apparent in your posts that he meant so much to you! From one who doesn't stray from the CB too often.
Pin Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #560
The Disney Fanatic
DIS Dad's Club Member #1

Bob read one of questions on the Pod Cast back in November and I saw him on his "Kart" in December leaving EPCOT. He was one of a kind and is truly missed.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #561
Mickey_Man
DIS Veteran

A Disney tribute to Bawb - the DISers are shedding tears for our loss.

1/12 CR New job celebration! 1/11 SSR 1st Full Marathon 9/10 CSR -Baby's first trip! FEB 2010 Dolphin: Winter Getaway! JUL 2009 Wilderness Lodge Villas & Swan: 6th Anniversary DEC 2008 - Dolphin - Mousefest/MVMCP JUL 2008 - BCV & WL - 5th Anniversary JAN 2008 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon JUL 2007 - Dolphin JAN 2007 -Dolphin - WDW 5K AUG 2006 - Dolphin FEB 2004 -CB JUL 2003 - WEDDING @ Wedding Pavilion and Honeymoon @ Grand Floridian!!!! FEB 2000 - 1st trip! Dixie Landings
Mickey_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #562
Mayasmama
Earning My Ears

Our Dearest Bob

I am deeply sorry to hear about the passing of our much beloved Bawb. My daughter and I will be going to the World in June and were hoping to join the ranks of the Bawbarrazzi.

I agree with everything that has been said here and offer my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and the podcast team. I hope you find strength in your treasured memories during this difficult time.

Ancient Egyptians believed that upon death they would be asked two questions and their answers would determine whether they could continue their journey in the afterlife. The first question was, "Did you being joy?" The second was, "Did you find joy?"

Bob, you certainly lived a life of brought and found joy!

Here's raising a Dole Whip to ya!

Peace & Blessings!

Kelly
Mayasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #563
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

I have been a podcast listener for over a year, but I have just recently gotten on the boards. I feel a tad bit like a moocher, but I just had to post my condolences.

I just saw this news this afternoon while I was at work, and I wanted to cry!!! I did not realize how much this podcast crew meant to me until that moment. Bob was a fantastic member of the podcast crew!! Every time I went to Disney in the past year, I actually looked for him and his cart! I am normally super-shy when I go up to famous people (yes, Bob was famous to me), but I knew he would be one to enjoy my nutcase nature.

This is going to sound odd, but I felt like me and Bob were slightly kindred, in that we were both teased for our speech and how we say certain things. I have my my little "autistic slip-ups" as I like to call them, and say the wrong thing, and I am often teased by my friends because of it. When I used to listen to Bob mess up certain words on the podcast, I very often said, "yup, I've done that before." That was why I sometimes felt for the man when he got teased. However, I later realized that that was the (strange and twisted?) way that the guys and lady showed their love for him.

I cannot imagine what the Varley family and the podcast crew are going through right now, but it has to be hard. I have never been through a sudden death like this before, so I cannot claim to know how you feel, but I can see why it would be gut-wrenching. I just wanted to tell all of you guys that I am praying for you so that you will find peace in this situation. I know that Bob is at peace now, but those he left behind will not be for a while.

I believe with all my heart that death is not the end of the story. It may be a curse, but God always finds ways to create blessings out of it. This outpouring of love on these boards and the coming together of us all is one aspect of it, and Bob's eternity in heaven will be another. I can see him up there sans boot napping until all of his friends and family finally get up there to meet him. Yes, I am being funny(?) intentionally. I know Bob would not want anyone to be sad over him for long.

From my own experience, the knowledge that they will be in a better place is not a great comfort, so I will not go any further into that. Like I said before, Diana, Bryan, Andrea, etc, you are in my prayers. I will mourn this loss right along with you every step of the way.

Thank you Bob, for all you have done for us!! You will be missed!!

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #564
BlackNGold
Earning My Ears

Bawb, you will be truly missed...and thank you for bringing such joy to my life as a member of the podcast crew...god bless your soul...
BlackNGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #565
bzelf
Mouseketeer

It is comforting to read everyone's comments. I cry and cry, then I'll laugh reading a "Bobism". Then I'll cry again.

Bob was such a special person who could make so many people who never met him (or each other) care so much about him, his family and friends. I know I'm a better person for knowing him through the podcasts and this website.

Thank you Bob!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #566
bostran1
Mouseketeer

This is truly a sad day. Goodbye, Bob. You will be missed but remembered for your humor and helpfulness. I am touched to know that I knew you through the podcast. I can only imagine how lucky those close to you are for having known you so well. My thoughts and prayers to you, your family, and those who count you as friend.

Website and Blog

Flickr Stream
bostran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #567
lovehoney
DIS Veteran

I'm another that considered Bob a friend I never met. He seemed to have such a gentle soul. I am so sad to hear of his passing. My condolences to the Varley family and Bob's DIS Unplugged Podcast family.

Farewell my podcast friend.
lovehoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #568
B&WMickey
DIS Veteran

I am deeply saddened to hear the news of Bob’s death. Bob, his family and his friends will be in my prayers during this difficult time.

Thank you Bob for all you brought to us on a weekly basis; we will all truly miss you.
November 2000 - Beach Club
December 2002 - Grand Floridian
January 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
November 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
B&WMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #569
Joel&Bee
Earning My Ears

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Varley family and the Podcast team.

God bless you Bob. Thank you for sharing your disney spirit with us all.

Me playing bass with The Tropicals in Animal Kingdom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf8R7zVt1M

Last edited by Joel&Bee; 05-05-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Joel&Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #570
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

I finally got a moment in my crazy week to download this week's podcast.

Then I saw Pete's headline- "sad day" and the picture of Bawb's "kaht".
I thought- oh no- something happened to the cart.... but no.
OMG- I can't even express how hard this hit me. Like a punch in the gut.
Wow.
No, I've never met Bob in person. But I have enjoyed listening to him and the rest of the podcast crew for quite sometime now. I feel I know him better than most of the people I work with everyday... maybe even some of my family.

My heart and prayers go out to Diana and Brian, the podcast team and all of the Dis-ers who love Bob.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: