Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #271
jrgutknecht
Mouseketeer

my prayers

My thoughts and prayers are with Diana, Brian and all of Bob's family and friends. I considered Bob my i-pod friend and I am still in shock at his loss. I only hope that the loving thoughts of the thousands of people that Bob touched brings some small condolences to Bob's family. A truly wonderful man and he will be missed and remembered fondly.
jrgutknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #272
Jhalkias
DIS Geek
I am on a break from life to DIS

I am so so sad to hear this. I got to meet Bob at the Podcast meet, and we got to exchange some grocery store stories. When I had a question for the Podcast, and it was too late to get it on the show before I left, Bob called me to give me the answer. He really knew how to care.

For those of you so close, it must be a terrible loss.

The thoughts and prayers of our family are with all of you and Bob's family.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #273
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

I'm stunned by this news and know that Diana, his family and his podcast friends will miss him dearly.
Bob has become an icon for many on this board and podcast. I say that not in any elevated way but as a genuine, fun loving and helpful individual.
To not be able to hear the banter with his dearest of friends (John and Kevin) is something I can't even begin to imagine
Whenever I needed to be reminded of and appreciate the good in this world, Bob is one of those I think about.
I also hope that the family can take some comfort from knowing how much Bob touched many. The celebration of his life will be his legacy

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #274
MD DisneyFreaks
Mouseketeer

Nothing more to say than what's already been said...

I've never met him, but have felt like I knew him and that he was a friend. I pray for God to comfort his family and to bring peace where there is none.

What a tragedy...

I'll also be praying for the Podcast crew as they surround Bob's family and continue as Bob would have wanted.

MD DisneyFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #275
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

My deepest sympathies and regrets to his family and all of you on the Roundtable.

To all your listeners, Bob was more than a voice on an iPod. His humor and generosity will be sorely, sorely missed.

Rest in peace, Bob!!!!! We'll miss you! Hugs to his family and his friends on the Roundtable

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #276
biscuitgirl

This is such sad, sad news.... Thank you for letting us know. It's such a shock. Please let us know more details when they become available.

Bob will be sadly missed. Prayers for his family and friends during this tough time...
biscuitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #277
pixiedoodle74
Earning My Ears

I am so sad to hear this news. Bob's family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

I've been BOOed! Thank you Amy!!(M I C K E Y)
First and only Trip to WDW(so far): July 3-10, 2006 POR
DH Me DS20 DS15 DD13
pixiedoodle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #278
pperfectmom
Has the sense of direction of a manatee
What's a chachi?

Bob will definately be missed by all. The podcast just won't be the same without his interpretation of the English language. My heart goes out to those close to him.

pperfectmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #279
Plutofan
DIS Veteran

Our prays go out to his family and the podcast. We love hearing Bob on the weekly podcast and he will be greatly missed. I hope that when things get back to normal if they ever can that you all do a tribute show to Bob and maybe allowing listeners to call in. We all will miss him greatly.

Last edited by Plutofan; 04-29-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Plutofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #280
Madi100
DIS Veteran

Wow! I just read this, and I am so saddened by it. While I know the DIS will go on, it will never be the same without him. To all of his family (including the pod squad who were his family), my prayers go out to you. I was never one of the lucky ones who had the fortune of meeting Bob, but I loved to listened to him. I loved to hear what great friends you all were. And, I loved the childlike love that Bob had for Disney.

Madi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #281
DVC Kathy
Mouseketeer

When DH read Pete's post to me last night, I just couldn't believe it. I cried last night, and I'm crying again now. It couldn't be - he just had some food poisoning.

My first Bawb memory was the now-infamous Dole Whip podcast, but I am so grateful that I have many more. DH and I commute together, and we just started listening to the podcast in the car. Yesterday afternoon on the drive home, we heard the voicemail from the young Disser who wanted to buy a Christopher Robin pin from Bob. It was priceless. You just knew that kind-hearted Bob would provide the pin - and never dream of taking any money for it.

I was lucky enough to have met Bob at the December 6th podmeet last year, but I considered him a friend well before that.

It is obvious that he was a good, kind, deeply caring person. His deliberate responses and unique vocabulary, both of which he used to draw humor out of the podcast crew, were his signature, and will not be forgotten.

Interventions, Sarasota Springs, and MoGeeToes will forever be part of my vocabulary.

So, everyone, raise your dole whip or MoGeeToe high and toast Bob Varley, the "French" Chef.

My thoughts and prayers are with Diana, Brian, and the rest of the Varley family, as well as the Podcast crew and the rest of Bob's DIS family.

Kathy Clawson

DVC Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #282
wdwowner
Mouseketeer

What a bummer way to start the day.

I was the one who started the "Bob for President" thread.

I know I will feel Bob in the parks every time I visit from now on.

Next time you feel that 'puff of air' blowing past you, thats Bob on KartKam making more videos.

Thanks Bob!
wdwowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #283
ead79
Disney Bride!
Wants the perfect pancake pan
Really likes a lot of NSYNC's songs
I hope my new job isn't like the movie "Office Space"

I am so very sorry to hear of Bob's passing. My prayers are with Diana and Brian as well as with Pete, the podcast team, and all of Bob's dear friends. May the Lord give you all comfort during this terribly difficult time. Bob always brightened my day and made me laugh as I listened to the podcast. He will be greatly missed, and I can only imagine how much more so by those that interacted with him in person.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #284
aprince&princess
DIS Veteran

I don't know what to say. My thoughts and prayers go out to Diana and all of Bob's family and friends.

I never met Bob in person, but I truely loved listening to the podcast where I always enjoyed Bob's segments. We too were in the parks April 19, 20 & 21st and had an eye out for Bob.

Please post a place where we can send our condolences.
Vickie

aprince&princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #285
tomu570
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho

To think I woke up this morning looking forward to hearing a new Podcast so I could, for at least a little while, transport myself to the "Happiest Place on Earth". But instead I was hit with the harsh reality of life and the reminder that life is really too short. So remember to give your kids a hug and tell them that you love them because you just never know.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by this loss, especially Diana, Brian.
1968 - First Disneyland Trip, 1979 - First WDW Trip, January 1998 - Polynesian, May 1999 - Grand Floridian/Disney Wonder/Yacht Club (Honeymoon), June 2001 - WDW Dolphin, August 2001 - Disneyland, March 2003 - Yacht Club, March 2005 - Caribbean Beach, April 2006 - 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise, June 2007 - Polynesian, August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside, April 2009 - Grand Floridian, May 2010 - POP Century, August 2013 - All Star Music January 2015 - All Star Sports

Last edited by tomu570; 04-29-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: reworded
tomu570 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: