Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

TIME FOR A RANT!!!!! Today Show story

Has anybody else seen this??!!??

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!???

WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING???!!!???

http://www.today.com/news/undercover...nes-6C10131266

SOME SORRY PEOPLE.....

Robin & Angel "D"
Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]

DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder homeEBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
timmac
DIS Veteran

At this point, the story is actually pretty old news, been out for a few weeks now.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
At this point, the story is actually pretty old news, been out for a few weeks now.
True, but this is the first time there's been video evidence of it happening.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I'm rather speechless right now. The comments made by the "tour guides" are unbelievable. So they don't care about bypassing people who have been waiting in line, but how about how their actions may very well effect other disabled people? I hope they catch these people and ban them for life.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
rteetz
DIS Veteran

These people are insane. Those two don't even look disabled one bit I can't believe these people don't care about what they are doing. Disney needs to put together a new policy for there disabled guests even though it may not be fair this is unacceptable. if you dont want to wait in a long line get a fastpass they are free for everyone and give you little to no wait times. I think maybe disabled guests should maybe automatically get fastpasses and not sit and wait in line all day long. this is not acceptable to hire a "disabled" guide and get on rides with no problems what so ever.

disney lover at heart

[/url]
rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

I didn't want to believe this story was true when we first read it on the show. It seemed so despicable that it had to be 'made up'.

Seeing the video shows just how awful these people are and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Not sure what Disney can do to stop this from happening altogether but let's hope Ryan and Mara get stopped at the gates and banned from the parks for life!!!

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

This video was at Disneyland.

At WDW the Guest Assistance Card specifically states it is not intended to bypass lines.

Also, at WDW the normal and official response from Guest Relations for mobility and/or stamina issues is to recommend renting a wheelchair or ECV.

At WDW almost all lines are "mainstreamed" where a person with a disability will go through the regular line to the Load area. If there are stairs, at a certain point in the line the people with the wheelchair or ECV will then be led to a special area. But they still have gone most of the way through the line.

And there are very few attractions where you bypass the line entirely.

And I have noted that when I am in an ECV certain attractions actually have a longer wait for people using the alternate route.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
darrengs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
...Those two don't even look disabled one bit...
Please be aware that you can't "see" all disabilities.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post
I didn't want to believe this story was true when we first read it on the show. It seemed so despicable that it had to be 'made up'.
...or at a minimum, overexaggerated. Maybe a one-off instance that someone blogged about and it caught fire on social media. But no. It is real. And it is really disgusting. The biggest problem is that it is situations like this (with Ryan and Mara waltzing in with GAC cards, seemingly able-bodied and profitting all the while) that will cause people to continue to question the legitimacy of other people's "invisible" disabilities. That sort of insensitivity has always been a problem when it comes to wheel chairs, scooters and GAC cards. And people like Ryan and Mara will only make the problem worse.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
...or at a minimum, overexaggerated. Maybe a one-off instance that someone blogged about and it caught fire on social media. But no. It is real. And it is really disgusting. The biggest problem is that it is situations like this (with Ryan and Mara waltzing in with GAC cards, seemingly able-bodied and profitting all the while) that will cause people to continue to question the legitimacy of other people's "invisible" disabilities. That sort of insensitivity has always been a problem when it comes to wheel chairs, scooters and GAC cards. And people like Ryan and Mara will only make the problem worse.
This ^^^ It bothers me so much how a story like this will effect people who are legitimately using GAC cards. An FB acquaintance already sent me a link to the video with an "I told you so" message.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 05-31-2013 at 11:53 AM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I recently just last week toured the park with a person in a wheelchair. We did not go the front of the line nor did we expect to. It was my parent who is having a hip problem. He can't walk the park but still wanted to go. Like stated on the podcast the line has been mainlined. The only one that sent us to the front was the Land boatride but I think that will stop with time.

These people just make it bad for everyone and that's the big problem here.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Why Guest Relations Does Not Ask For A Doctor's Note

1. The ADA does not allow requiring proof of a disability if the individual is granted access equal to that of a person without a disability, to the extent possible. It only requires proof if a person will be granted access that is more than a person without a disability. Accordingly, Disney in the United States is not legally permitted to ask for any proof of a disability.

2. I found that in Disneyland Paris they do require proof of a disability. But the equal to the GAC is automatically a front-of-the-line pass. And even though I was in my ECV (which I brought with me) I still needed to get their Access Pass. Luckily I knew this in advance and brought my car hang tag.

3. It is unfortunate, but here is a sample letter from a doctor. I will analyze it afterwards.

Quote:
(Starting with the doctor's letterhead, with the Doctor's name, address, phone, DEA Number, etc)

To Whom It May Concern:

My patient, Alfred E. Neuman, suffers from severe multiple onychocryptosis. Due to Mr. Neuman's condition he is unable to stand for prolonged periods without extreme pain; accordingly, please allow him immediate access to seating for all rides and shows. Any other considerations and courtesies which can be offered to Mr. Neuman will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

/s/ Heinz Doofenshmirtz, MD
If I am handed a letter such as that (which I cannot ask for) and the Guest demands that I read it I will do so.

A. Although I am not medically trained I have some non-technical medical knowledge. The Guest should not expect me to know what onychocryptosis is.

B. We do not give a FOTL Pass, and a GAC states on it that it is not intended to bypass lines. The only Guests who get a GAC with FOTL access are children on a Wish Trip. So I cannot give a GAC for immediate seating.

C. As there does to be an indication of a need (unable to stand for prolonged periods) I will take the official stance of suggesting that the Guest rent a wheelchair, or, if 18 or older, to rent an ECV. At least this one does give a need and not just a diagnoses.

D. As far as "other considerations and courtesies", we will always do what can be best, in our opinion, to assist a Guest with their needs so they can have equal access.

E. And as far as the doctor's note itself, I have no idea if:

i. The note was actually signed by the doctor.

ii. Mr. Neuman is actually a patient of Dr. Doofenschmirtz

iii. Does Dr. Doofenschmirtz actually exist, or

iv. Is Dr. Doofenschmirtz actually a licensed physician.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

While I am thrilled that Disney is doing something about this, the conversation in another thread about “special rights” and “fake disabilities” and ECV users going ahead of people’s precious children on the bus is driving me mad.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
kuzco-like
Mouseketeer

Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by the comment by the guy from the American Association for People with Disabilities? He says something about people exploiting people with disabilities to get to the front if the line. Can it really be called exploitation if the disabled people not only willingly participate, but also post the advertisements to offer their "services"? The way it's worded makes the disabled people sound like victims, which, in this type of situation, I don't think is completely accurate. Just my humble opinion.
kuzco-like is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: