Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #61
0bli0
2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year

a graduated ND filter would definitely help with the above scene. i'd probably start with a stop or so underexposure and then go from there.

my Disney photo gallery | my flickr gallery

0bli0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #62
Merrywheather
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great information!

Merrywheather is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #63
Groucho
Why a duck?
You need every advantage you can get

FWIW, on my recent trip, I didn't mount my new ND8 filter even once, and used my circular polarizer less than I thought I might have before I left. Maybe because I was switching lenses so much, I didn't feel like switching filters, too. But I did wear my filter wallet on my belt every day so they were there waiting for me. I also don't have a CP for the lens I probably used the most (31mm F1.8) and my second-most-common was my fisheye, which you can't put a polarizer on. I could have used one for my macro lens but my CP in that filter size is a cheapie and I didn't want to chance degrading my image. So basically, I mainly used it on my 50-135mm, and once or twice on my 28-75mm which I didn't use often. I do think it did help, when I did use it. FWIW, it's a Hoya HMC, which isn't too cheap but not to expensive, either - bought from Spotlight Camera on eBay, I've bought from them twice and had very good results both times.

I don't think you'll find much use for ND filters at Disney parks. If things are so bright that you'll need one, then chances are it's midday and very crowded, and you're trying to get a slow shutter speed so you'll probably want to use a tripod or at least monopod, which will be even more of a pain during the day than in the evening. You need to be really after the photo. Even with all the gear I have carried my past few trips, there are shots that I think would be good that I just can't be bothered to go through the effort of taking - and that's saying something.

I personally don't think a split will be very useful either, as you'll rarely see a clear, open horizon - most of the time, you're looking at various buildings and structures, and those'll get darkened along with the sky.

Again, just my opinions for Disney park trips only. Not applicable for non-Disney-park situations.
trip reports: 6/12, none; 1/11, Animal Kingdom Villas live TR, full TR (up to day 4); 6/10, Star Wars Weekend, Pop Century; 1/10, Beach Club Villas full TR, live TR; 1/09, Old Key West; 4/08, Beach Club Villas; 9/07, Disneyland Hotel; 1/07, Saratoga Springs Resort

groucho.org gallery (main site) - Flickr - Google+ Pentax Photo Gallery - Pentax Auto 110, H3, 2x Spotmatic, 3x K1000, red K-x, K-5, K-3, Q, WG3
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye, 16-50mm F2.8, 18-55mm, 31mm F1.8, 50mm F1.2/F1.4/F1.7/F2.0, 50-135mm F2.8, 50-200mm, 55-300, Zenitar 16mm fisheye, Lensbaby Composer, Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro, F Nikkor 105mm F2.5, M42: Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro, Pentax 35mm F3.5, 55mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, 2x 135mm F3.5, 300mm F4, 2x Vivitar 200mm F3.5, Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #64
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Anyone familiar with Formatt filters?

So dh asks me the other day if I'd like anything particular for mother's day, and I told him I want what every girl wants--a two-stop graduated neutral density filter for the wide angle lens I haven't ordered yet. I was looking at this one on B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Density.html

According to the specifications, it will rotate (I assume like a cp?). The comparable Tiffen says "not applicable" in that spot on the specs list. I've never used a split nd filter. How do you line it up correctly if it doesn't rotate? Am I just being dense (edited to apologize for the unintentional pun)?

Any thoughts?

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #65
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

I don't know anything about Formatt. I will say that I have a strong personal preference for Cokin style GND filters. The Cokin style is a little plastic holder that screws onto the front of your lens. The filters are squares of filter material that you slide into the holder. Like the lens you described, you can rotate the holder. The big advantage is that you can slide the filter up and down (or left and right). No big deal for a polarizer, but for a GND, that means that you can stick the "horizon" line right where you want it.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #66
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarbieri View Post
I don't know anything about Formatt. I will say that I have a strong personal preference for Cokin style GND filters. The Cokin style is a little plastic holder that screws onto the front of your lens. The filters are squares of filter material that you slide into the holder. Like the lens you described, you can rotate the holder. The big advantage is that you can slide the filter up and down (or left and right). No big deal for a polarizer, but for a GND, that means that you can stick the "horizon" line right where you want it.
That's a good point. I like to travel as light as possible, so a simple filter seemed preferable. But I'll look at the Cokin and similar some more.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #67
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Must have filters?

I am ready to delve into the world of filters (beyond the UV that we already have as protection more than anything) - what do you more experienced persons consider essential in the world of filters? Based on what I know so far I am leaning towards, at minimum, the following:

Circular Polarizer
Graduated ND
Color Warming

Anything else that would be good (for mostly landscapes or indoor portraits, etc.)? Brand recommendations?
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #68
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

All I currently have is the CP's, I have thought about ND's but haven't made the plunge yet.

Personally I wouldn't buy a colored filter, because you can do any of that in PP with digital.

The only other one that interests me at all is one of the Star Filters for long exposure night shots.

As for brand, mine are Hoya's. Remember that if you have an expensive lens and put a cheap filter in front of it, then you will have severely degraded the quality of the lens with that.
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #69
Golf4food
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mason View Post
All I currently have is the CP's, I have thought about ND's but haven't made the plunge yet.

Personally I wouldn't buy a colored filter, because you can do any of that in PP with digital.

The only other one that interests me at all is one of the Star Filters for long exposure night shots.

As for brand, mine are Hoya's. Remember that if you have an expensive lens and put a cheap filter in front of it, then you will have severely degraded the quality of the lens with that.
I am thinking of the color warming filter because I take photos for my office (employee awards and such) and we have horrid florecent lighting that makes everything yellow no matter what I do to the white balance, other settings, or do in photoshop. I am thinking that the color filter might allow me to use flash and get a better result on those. (I take them all outside whenever possible, though.)

Anyone have comments on Tiffen filters or any other brand recommendations? (Nothing against Hoya, I have a Hoya UV now, just looking at all options.)
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #70
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
I am thinking of the color warming filter because I take photos for my office (employee awards and such) and we have horrid florecent lighting that makes everything yellow no matter what I do to the white balance, other settings, or do in photoshop. I am thinking that the color filter might allow me to use flash and get a better result on those. (I take them all outside whenever possible, though.)

Anyone have comments on Tiffen filters or any other brand recommendations? (Nothing against Hoya, I have a Hoya UV now, just looking at all options.)

For the horrid floresents get an 18% gray card and set your own custom WB. The one I have came from www.balancesmarter.com it is pretty slick

Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #71
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

One concern if you use a UV filter is to take it off before using other filters. Stacking filters multiplies any image degradation, especially flare.

The only filter I normally use is a polarizer. I have a 8X ND for lowering shutter speed on bright days but rarely use it. Instead of a split ND I use HDR with three images.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #72
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post

you should be able to color correct in photoshop,

I take pics in my office all the time, and color correction is simple with PAint shop pro..

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #73
Golf4food
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
you should be able to color correct in photoshop,

I take pics in my office all the time, and color correction is simple with PAint shop pro..
The software I have available is basic Microsoft picture editor on the work computer, and an old version of PSP5 that is many years old and behind the times. I am by no means skilled in the arts of digital photo manipulation.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #74
mabas9395
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Try posting a sample of one of your office pictures. A lot of us love tweaking other people's photos. Maybe we can help you find a way of fixing them with the tools you have.

I have the same problem you do taking pictures in my church's gymnasium; fourecent lights plus a yellow cast to the basketball court floor. Pictures of my son's cub scout meetings look awful. Do you use a flash in your office? In my case, the yellow from the gym plus the blue from the flash equals a white balance nightmare. Custom W/B is the best way to go.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #75
DueyDooDah
DIS Veteran

I, too, would suggest you forego the colored filters. Everything can be done in post-processing (still a stupid term to me. either you're processing or you are not.)

Now, if you are shooting JPG, you will have trouble correcting for the lighting in your office. If you have the option on the camera, set white balance to tungsten or white florescent (depending on the lighting) before the shot. This should help.

If your shooting RAW, then your camera surely came with some type of software that will help. It will have the capability to change the WB quite easily and it will not be necessary to set it on the camera. If you don't have the software, your manufacturer may have it available for download.

It's been over 24 hours since I was at WDW.
I don't think I can wait any longer.
DueyDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter storage case

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: