Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #1411
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Hi again,

My dd should be applying for the extension on Monday - how soon will we find out if she gets it or not. TIA. I need to cancel some r/t flights and would like to do it soon.

Upcoming/planned trips:
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #1412
teacher100
Mouseketeer

Wellness or Nonwellness?

My son will be 21 if he gets in the Disney program. He does not drink, but he's worried everyone in the nonwellness apartments will be younger and possibly alcohol in causing trouble for him. He really is not into the party scene.
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #1413
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher100
My son will be 21 if he gets in the Disney program. He does not drink, but he's worried everyone in the nonwellness apartments will be younger and possibly alcohol in causing trouble for him. He really is not into the party scene.
If you are under 21 you don't have a choice...you have to live in the 'wellness' apts. Only those aged 21 or older are eligible for nonwellness. Honestly, the problem is a lot of the under 21 don't want over 21's in their rooms because if they happen to change their mind & bring alochol into the apt, they can get the whole apt termed. Many of the under 21s are scared of this because there is nothing they can do to protect themselves if the over 21s can legally buy alcohol. I totally get where they are coming from! It's an unfortunate situation.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #1414
RogerRadcliffe
Imagineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher100 View Post
Is he 21 before the start of his program? If so he's eligible to choose between wellness and non-wellness. I'd honestly recommend non-wellness as it's 21+ and there's no concern for alcohol.

If he's not then he will be automatically placed in wellness, where the alcohol rule stands. He's honestly not the only one seriously concerned about the matter, but if you find the right group you'll be fine. There's always been the concern of "What if someone brings alcohol in" which won't be if you're with the right people.

Either way, I'd definitely recommend him checking out the Facebook Groups, Tumblr Roommates and here on the Disboards for roommates. Just find someone that you'll get along with well.

Have a Magical Day!

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
―Walt Disney
RogerRadcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #1415
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

[QUOTE=markleventhal;47689379]With respect, I think your experience may have been a few years ago, before Obamacare. Under the ACA all children are covered on their parent's family insurance plan until they are age 26. It does not matter if they are students, it does not matter if they live at home, it does not matter if they are married.The new law says the insurance carrier must keep the on the plan until age 26 if you have a family policy.

The only exception is if they have a job that offers them health insurance . In that case, even it it is worse coverage, they must accept it and they insurance company has no obligation to keep them on the parent's policy. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
Not true on the insurance and that is why its a subject parents might want to discuss on the boards -- it really depends on the parent's insurance policy.

In our case the child has to be in school full time (and that is determined by what the school says is full time) == which would be 12 hours each semester so my daughter did not qualify for the insurance she had been previously covered under. This varies greatly from one company to the next, from one insurance policy to the next. That meant we had to look for alternative insurance (or not) and I could share with other parents what we ended up doing.
That is NOT the Only exception. The law actually reads "certain grandfathered plans". Learned this the hard way as Verizon dropped BOTH my adult kids because their father is retired, no longer an "active" employee. So there ARE cases where the law does not apply. In fact, after 30 YEARS of coverage for me, we had to produce a marriage license to verify MY coverage.
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1416
Eyepga
Earning My Ears

My daughter just got her acceptance to the Fall program at Disneyland - she's in the program in Orlando now, working as a concierge. Fall role is in merchandise. I don't see very many California programmers out there. Anyone??
Eyepga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #1417
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

DS is not eligible to apply yet, but I am trying to wrap my head around a few things.

He will be pursuing a BFA in Theatre. He already has extensive theatre experience and some dance training. Two different colleges he is considering have told him they will NOT give him credit for the onsite WDW classes. His only choices would be online classes or co-op credit for Theatre if he was in an Entertainment role. What are other kids doing about this? I just noticed today that the kids can be part time students as opposed to full time, which takes away some of the pressure of carrying 12 hours online. I think that would require an insane amount of discipline.

Are CP Entertainment roles generally only offered in the Fall? I see that there are auditions around the country for the month of March. Are those the only CP Entertainment auditions all year? Would a March audition be valid for a Spring program?

Thanks!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #1418
Tom999
Earning My Ears

It's fan here.

Tom999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #1419
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post
DS is not eligible to apply yet, but I am trying to wrap my head around a few things.

He will be pursuing a BFA in Theatre. He already has extensive theatre experience and some dance training. Two different colleges he is considering have told him they will NOT give him credit for the onsite WDW classes. His only choices would be online classes or co-op credit for Theatre if he was in an Entertainment role. What are other kids doing about this? I just noticed today that the kids can be part time students as opposed to full time, which takes away some of the pressure of carrying 12 hours online. I think that would require an insane amount of discipline.

Are CP Entertainment roles generally only offered in the Fall? I see that there are auditions around the country for the month of March. Are those the only CP Entertainment auditions all year? Would a March audition be valid for a Spring program?

Thanks!
Our dd did the cp last Jan. her university did not give her credit either. She basically took the semester off. She took one Disney class and she was the only one in that class who did not get credit. She took a class in the summer when she got back. She also ended up taking 21 credits and did an internship this past fall semester trying to play catch up. She will graduate in Dec. of this year instead of May.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #1420
jobro912
Mouseketeer

@jackskellingtonsgirl...My son is pursuing a BFA at Stephen F Austin...He will be doing the college program for Fall and his role is Custodial...so nothing to do with Theatre at all. He is having an issue finding out what he needs to do to maintain enrollment, but he is pretty much on a full ride with scholarships, etc, so will probably attempt 12 hours online...But in his program he will be able to do Music Appreciation: History of Rock and Intro to Philosophy online...both count toward his degree plan. He is also planning on speaking with his Advisor about doing a Theatre Independent Study in conjunction with the Entertainment Seminar the CP offers. So we shall see how this will all play out. Bottom line for him is that if he isn't able to maintain full time in order to keep financial aid, he won't be able to go.

As far as entertainment roles in the College Program, the only thing offered is Character. The auditions this month are for the Fall Program. Auditions are held again in the Fall for the Spring Program. I measured him last night and he is 5'11...He is going to do some yoga stretching over the next week and half or so to try to measure in at auditions at 6'. Really short, and really tall auditioners are given special consideration. So hopefully he can stretch it an inch for the 23rd.
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #1421
jobro912
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Our dd did the cp last Jan. her university did not give her credit either. She basically took the semester off. She took one Disney class and she was the only one in that class who did not get credit. She took a class in the summer when she got back. She also ended up taking 21 credits and did an internship this past fall semester trying to play catch up. She will graduate in Dec. of this year instead of May.
The whole credit thing baffles me in some ways. My son's university promotes the DCP like crazy...in fact, there are currently 3 Campus Reps there, and it is a school of only 13K. He can't get a straight answer on credit..I am fairly certain he can't get credit for just doing the program...which some schools offer, but I am hoping it is not an all or nothing prospect. I have read on some sites that the schools required the CP participant to take a leave of absence to do it. Oh well, it would be nice if he would talk to the campus reps about their experience. There are at least 13 at WDW this semester from his school...I can't imagine that they all just dropped school completely for the semester. But who knows?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #1422
RogerRadcliffe
Imagineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyepga View Post
My daughter just got her acceptance to the Fall program at Disneyland - she's in the program in Orlando now, working as a concierge. Fall role is in merchandise. I don't see very many California programmers out there. Anyone??
Congratulations to her acceptance into the Disneyland Resort Fall Program! There's quite a few others around here that have been accepted for Disneyland, but not as many compared to Walt Disney World it may seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post

His only choices would be online classes or co-op credit for Theatre if he was in an Entertainment role. What are other kids doing about this? I just noticed today that the kids can be part time students as opposed to full time, which takes away some of the pressure of carrying 12 hours online. I think that would require an insane amount of discipline.

Thanks!
For credits, it honestly depends upon the school's requirements and fulfillment needed to keep in good standing, in addition to their major as well. Most of us just take online courses in the mentime. If he's quite serious about it all, I'd definitely advise only considering entertainment, even though he'll learn a lot from any role, really. I completely get that it's closely related to acting, but he'll still have similar experiences no matter where he's at. It would definitely be a consideration to have when the time comes, and to sit down with the adviser/department head to determine if the role he's selected for can count for something.

The College Program Offers the Entertainment and Performer roles during both Spring/Fall seasons. Auditions for the Fall Season are in March/April, while Spring Auditions are in September/October. So, March auditions would only be valid for the Spring Program as auditions occurs for the following program season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro912 View Post
I measured him last night and he is 5'11...He is going to do some yoga stretching over the next week and half or so to try to measure in at auditions at 6'.
I actually got a good giggle out of this! I'd just advise standing up straight. During my auditions we had to take off our shoes as well, as it's filling out an applicant form, receiving audition numbers, measurements & face profiles.

Have a Magical Day!

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
―Walt Disney
RogerRadcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1423
jobro912
Mouseketeer

LOL, RR...He was flat footed and shoeless when we measured. Whatever it takes ;-) If I could find a rack...well, you know.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1424
BadDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher100 View Post
My S22, did the program in Spring of 2011. He was 20 when he started, turned 21 when he was down there.

I recommend your S going into a NON-wellness apt. 2 reasons:
1) There is a very big difference in maturity of 18/19 to 21 year old males. My S's first roommates just completed 1 semester of college and still had a h.s. mentality. My S had over a year of college under his belt. When he turned 21 he transferred from a wellness to a non-wellness. Yes, there was beer in the frig however, the roommates were thinking about graduation and getting a job not partying. Plus, they all understood that it was their responsibility to clean-up after themselves. In wellness, no one took out the trash, washed dishes and cleaned the bathrooms (waiting for mom to show-up?). In non-wellness, they got white glove awards.
2) If any alcohol is found in a publicly accessible area in a wellness apt: All tenets will be terminated. No exceptions!
BadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #1425
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
This is where I get confused. I am fine with him NOT getting any college credit while he is there. I thought WDW required the kids to be enrolled in some sort of class they would get credit for, either through WDW if the college allows that or through the school directly. So, if their school will NOT give them credit, can they go and take a WDW class that won't transfer for credit and not be kicked out of the program? One school we spoke to said DS can take one co-op class IF his assigned role is a DIRECT tie-in with his major (Theatre), and they allow one online distance learning class, so he could still do a 3 hour online course no matter what role he was assigned in the CP.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: