Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1261
Traveliz
DIS Veteran
 
Traveliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris View Post
I know of a lot of CPs that never seemed to have enough money but it really depends on the individual. My DD did the program Fall 2010 and extended until May 2011(works there permanently now) and finished the program with a substantial amount in her savings account. She did have a car as well but really did not go to the restaurants or visit other parks (like universal/sea world, etc). The first part of her program, she really didn't work more than 40 hours because of her location. The opportunity is there to save, but i noticed a lot of her roommates and friends tended to go out quite a bit and that's where the money flew.
My daughter did too - she was in Attractions and often worked 50 plus hours a week though. She did go out a lot but I don't think she visited the other parks (she might of done a Halloween Horror Night at Universal). She did not have a car though and was dependent on the buses. Most of her going out was with others or on Disney property.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #1262
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws
 
FINFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 1,000 miles N. of WDW
Posts: 12,446

Hi all My DS was accepted yesterday for Spring '13. He wanted Custodial and was placed in Custodial so he is happy, he's o.k. with the yuck end because he also loves the "streets" end I am proud of him and he had a quick turnaround (Phone interview Thursday night, acceptance e-mail Monday)guess there aren't high requests for Custodial, lol...BUT...this will throw his timing off of transfering from Community College to his target 4 year . His major has limited "seats" for transfer students and now he will only have 1 semester completed instead of a full year, not helping his chances. I suggested(from a safe distance ) possibly considering declining Spring and re-applying for Fall, but that went over like a ton of bricks. Add my concern about all the kids who get termed due to roommate "misjudgements" I am really unsure. How are you guys with kids under 21 dealing with that?
I guess he is willing to deal with the timing of his overall education changing, but I am not so sure he will still feel that way in a year or 2. I asked him to please wait 3 days to give his acceptance, to REALLY think it over..but he is chomping at the bit to send in his reply of yes. He is also concerned that he is losing time on which days he can check in, it appers sooner is better than later. BTW....the guy/girl ratio is huge...he is having a bit of troube even finding Wellness guys that are not into partying
__________________
Future Floridian
Jimmy Buffett makes my day
Major Miami Dolphin's Fan, since '71
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!


FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #1263
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order
 
Desiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA USA
Posts: 5,352

Hi everyone!

My DD is having a phone interview on Monday. I'm nervous and excited at the same time for her! She had missed the intitial introductory meeting (it was at a different college here in town) but she did the online application. So I guess we need to find out as much information that we can. Does anyone have any tips for the phone interview? I basically tried to tell her to be enthusiastic and maybe ask a few questions. Any other tips would be appreciated! Now off to read and research!
__________________
DH: Me: DD (18):

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #1264
RogerRadcliffe
Imagineering
 
RogerRadcliffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Neverland
Posts: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
How are you guys with kids under 21 dealing with that?
I guess he is willing to deal with the timing of his overall education changing, but I am not so sure he will still feel that way in a year or 2. I asked him to please wait 3 days to give his acceptance, to REALLY think it over..but he is chomping at the bit to send in his reply of yes. He is also concerned that he is losing time on which days he can check in, it appers sooner is better than later. BTW....the guy/girl ratio is huge...he is having a bit of troube even finding Wellness guys that are not into partying
First off, congrats on your Son being accepted into the program from a Community College! I've found that it's a bit tougher to be accepted from one since there's not exactly a department that deals with internships.

If I were you I'd just let him accept it. He's obviously had the motivation it takes to complete the entire process, and holding him for 72 more hours may not seem like much but it will switch up the arrival dates for him.

As far as housing/roomates goes, he's probably good with the internet. First, he could look on these boards for a few guys that need roommates, as I'm sure quite a few people will be looking for some in the next few weeks when acceptances come out. Next, I'd suggest Tumblr if he has one, as I know quite a few people match roommate applications on there. There's also a few other sites that I'll leave for you to discover. Last but not least, he could just wait until check-in day and be paired with whomever is left.

You've also got to understand as a parent (who I hope was once a teenager) that partying is just a part of being young. It's just about being smart with it.

Also, check out this Roommate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
Hi everyone!

My DD is having a phone interview on Monday. I'm nervous and excited at the same time for her! She had missed the initial introductory meeting (it was at a different college here in town) but she did the online application. So I guess we need to find out as much information that we can. Does anyone have any tips for the phone interview? I basically tried to tell her to be enthusiastic and maybe ask a few questions. Any other tips would be appreciated! Now off to read and research!
Congrats on your Daughter's interview!

With the DCP Information Meeting you just get to see a powerpoint and get some information on the College Program. It's actually a bit better that she didn't go as she doesn't miss out on much and I've found that things on the internet are a bit more informational from a personal perspective. More or less, there's a few other things that I'd rather not mention.

My best personal tip for the interview is to first show some excitement! They want people that are enthusiastic who can make guest's day Magical! Also, smile while you're doing your interview as you can hear a smile through the phone.

Also, if you're willing to help her out, practice with her over the phone or in person by just having her turn around. Not being able to see someone in person makes a phone interview different than most.

Also a few resources that I've found over time --

1. Tricky CP Interview Questions
2. Disney Internships & Programs Blog

Browse around the second blog as there's an actual phone interview page.

Good Luck!

Have a Magical Day!
__________________

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
―Walt Disney

Last edited by RogerRadcliffe; 10-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.
RogerRadcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #1265
GrowUp2BaPrincess
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 103

Smile Thrilled to be a parent of a DCP Spring Advantage kid!

Hi all,

My name is Christy. We found out last week that our son, Blake, was accepted into the DCP. His arrival date is January 7th. We LOVE Disney and we couldn't be happier for Blake to be going. He's wanted to go ever since we learned of the program years ago. It's one giant step on his path to becoming an Imagineer someday!

I've joined the facebook group for parents. I'm nervous, happy, excited, shocked, and every other imaginable emotion...can't wait, yet can't believe he's going to be 19 hours away from home.

Looking forward to getting to know some of the parents who will be learning about this experience of a lifetime along with me.

Christy
GrowUp2BaPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #1266
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws
 
FINFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 1,000 miles N. of WDW
Posts: 12,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRadcliffe View Post
First off, congrats on your Son being accepted into the program from a Community College! I've found that it's a bit tougher to be accepted from one since there's not exactly a department that deals with internships.

If I were you I'd just let him accept it. He's obviously had the motivation it takes to complete the entire process, and holding him for 72 more hours may not seem like much but it will switch up the arrival dates for him.

As far as housing/roomates goes, he's probably good with the internet. First, he could look on these boards for a few guys that need roommates, as I'm sure quite a few people will be looking for some in the next few weeks when acceptances come out. Next, I'd suggest Tumblr if he has one, as I know quite a few people match roommate applications on there. There's also a few other sites that I'll leave for you to discover. Last but not least, he could just wait until check-in day and be paired with whomever is left.

You've also got to understand as a parent (who I hope was once a teenager) that partying is just a part of being young. It's just about being smart with it.

Also, check out this Roommate thread.


Congrats on your Daughter's interview!

With the DCP Information Meeting you just get to see a powerpoint and get some information on the College Program. It's actually a bit better that she didn't go as she doesn't miss out on much and I've found that things on the internet are a bit more informational from a personal perspective. More or less, there's a few other things that I'd rather not mention.

My best personal tip for the interview is to first show some excitement! They want people that are enthusiastic who can make guest's day Magical! Also, smile while you're doing your interview as you can hear a smile through the phone.

Also, if you're willing to help her out, practice with her over the phone or in person by just having her turn around. Not being able to see someone in person makes a phone interview different than most.

Also a few resources that I've found over time --

1. Tricky CP Interview Questions
2. Disney Internships & Programs Blog

Browse around the second blog as there's an actual phone interview page.

Good Luck!

Have a Magical Day!
thanks for the response and the good wishes. I had no idea it was tougher to get accepted from a CC , but we are for sure proud of him...oh I was definitely a young teenager. I am not uptight about the normal rights of pasage occuring, but I am concerned as to the amount of blogs/posts what-have-you of kids who have been termed for being stupid, and then their roommates who have been termed along with them JUST because they live in the same apartment that the wrong-doer did. That's the stuff I am concerned with. If my DS blows it on his own then he gets what he deserves but if he is playing by the rules and still goes down with the ship, that's hard to take~ IF it happened to lose a semester of school on top of it is rough. I totally get why so many wait until they are 21 to apply for the program, a ton of stress is lifted off of them. DS actually agreed that he was glad we made him wait, he talked to his counselor again today who pointed out both the positives and negatives of missing the semester. Mainly risking getting into his major as a Transfer student, but also pointed out that the college may like seeing that he completed the CP program which woud be veiwed as a plus. At any rate, he survived having to "stop and think" before he acepted...also so that he did not do so prematurely for WDW sake either. Best to know for sure so you can decline and let another hopeful have the chance. Guess it is on to the next step now, thanks for the roommate sites...but is it just me or are there WAY more girls posting for roommates than they guys are?
__________________
Future Floridian
Jimmy Buffett makes my day
Major Miami Dolphin's Fan, since '71
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!


FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #1267
Brenda P
Earning My Ears
 
Brenda P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbnancy
Hi,
Just received a call back from the Communication office. The email will come out once a month and the first one we will receive will be the beginning of Sept.
Did you ever get an email? I still have not received anything.
Brenda P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #1268
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 6,641

Daughter's interview was Tuesday - today received email that she was accepted - custodial. She is happy!!
__________________
DVC 10/00 OKW - 6/02 BCV

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1269
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws
 
FINFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 1,000 miles N. of WDW
Posts: 12,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowUp2BaPrincess View Post
Hi all,

My name is Christy. We found out last week that our son, Blake, was accepted into the DCP. His arrival date is January 7th. We LOVE Disney and we couldn't be happier for Blake to be going. He's wanted to go ever since we learned of the program years ago. It's one giant step on his path to becoming an Imagineer someday!

I've joined the facebook group for parents. I'm nervous, happy, excited, shocked, and every other imaginable emotion...can't wait, yet can't believe he's going to be 19 hours away from home.

Looking forward to getting to know some of the parents who will be learning about this experience of a lifetime along with me.


Congrat's! It IS exciting

Christy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Daughter's interview was Tuesday - today received email that she was accepted - custodial. She is happy!!
My DS is in Custodial too! There is a facebook page for Disney CP Custodial, she should join it!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/disn...0183881692223/
__________________
Future Floridian
Jimmy Buffett makes my day
Major Miami Dolphin's Fan, since '71
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!


FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #1270
Yvette563
Mouseketeer
 
Yvette563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Daughter's interview was Tuesday - today received email that she was accepted - custodial. She is happy!!
AnnaS

CONGRATS to your daughter! My daughter is SA Arriving Jan 7th in Custodial too! YAY!! CUSTODIAL
Yvette563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #1271
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order
 
Desiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Baton Rouge, LA USA
Posts: 5,352

Thanks for the advice everyone! Now the waiting for the phone interview begins!
__________________
DH: Me: DD (18):

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #1272
IrishTink
I do believe in faeries, I do, I do!
Wow i didn't realize how excited i am
 
IrishTink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,982

I found this WDW CP Family Guide on the website and it contains a lot of useful information. (This is for 2012, couldn't find one for 2013.)
http://cdn.disneycareers.com/managed...de_12-2012.pdf
IrishTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #1273
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws
 
FINFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 1,000 miles N. of WDW
Posts: 12,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTink View Post
I found this WDW CP Family Guide on the website and it contains a lot of useful information. (This is for 2012, couldn't find one for 2013.)
http://cdn.disneycareers.com/managed...de_12-2012.pdf
GREAT help! Thank you for posting this
__________________
Future Floridian
Jimmy Buffett makes my day
Major Miami Dolphin's Fan, since '71
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!


FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1274
Traveliz
DIS Veteran
 
Traveliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
thanks for the response and the good wishes. I had no idea it was tougher to get accepted from a CC , but we are for sure proud of him...oh I was definitely a young teenager. I am not uptight about the normal rights of pasage occuring, but I am concerned as to the amount of blogs/posts what-have-you of kids who have been termed for being stupid, and then their roommates who have been termed along with them JUST because they live in the same apartment that the wrong-doer did. That's the stuff I am concerned with. If my DS blows it on his own then he gets what he deserves but if he is playing by the rules and still goes down with the ship, that's hard to take~ IF it happened to lose a semester of school on top of it is rough. I totally get why so many wait until they are 21 to apply for the program, a ton of stress is lifted off of them. DS actually agreed that he was glad we made him wait, he talked to his counselor again today who pointed out both the positives and negatives of missing the semester. Mainly risking getting into his major as a Transfer student, but also pointed out that the college may like seeing that he completed the CP program which woud be veiwed as a plus. At any rate, he survived having to "stop and think" before he acepted...also so that he did not do so prematurely for WDW sake either. Best to know for sure so you can decline and let another hopeful have the chance. Guess it is on to the next step now, thanks for the roommate sites...but is it just me or are there WAY more girls posting for roommates than they guys are?
Ok first congrats for your son! And second I don't believe it is any tougher to be accepted from a CC - it might be harder to deal with a CC after you are accepted but Disney doesn't care if you came from a CC. I have to say of the hundreds of CPs my daughter has worked with a whole bunch of them have been from CCs (and she came from a CC herself)

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #1275
IrishTink
I do believe in faeries, I do, I do!
Wow i didn't realize how excited i am
 
IrishTink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
GREAT help! Thank you for posting this
You're welcome!
IrishTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: