Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #1216
Brenda P
Earning My Ears

My dd wanted Patterson because she had heard it was nicer. However there were no rooms available at check in. She did not want Vista Way. She is at Chatham and seems to like it just fine. I suggest riding around to all 3 before checkin day. Check out the surroundings and see which you think you will like and then have a back up plan. That's what we did!
Brenda P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #1217
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouschinesec View Post
My DD20 has just been accepted for the spring 2013 semester. Can anyone give me a run down on the different "personalities" of the varying apartments. She is 20 entering the program, so all we know is she will be "wellness" whatever that means. She does not have to cover all her expenses herself, so if it's a case of we have to pay $40 more a month to be in a newer, nicer place, then that is what I would prefer to do.
You don't have the option of upgrading your dd's CP apartment by offering Disney more money. She can make a request for a specific apartment complex, but in the end, she will get what she gets -- by which I mean, she may have a choice and she may not. It all depends upon what's available when she checks in. Obviously, the earlier you check in that morning, the better chances you have for having a variety of options.

When my dd got to check in, she was the third person in line. Even still the options were: an apartment for 4 at Vista or an apartment for 2 at Chatham. There was nothing available at Patterson. She chose the Vista 4 bed because she thought the odds were greater that she'd find a compatible roommate/friend if she had 3 others to pick from instead of just one. All of her roommates had the same offer and all chose the Vista 4 bed for the same reason. They all met in line that morning because at the time, there was no roommate matching available to them.

Vista is the older apartment complex, but when we were moving her in with her roommate's parents, all of the parents were commenting on how much nicer the Vista apartment is compared to the dorm rooms they were leaving behind. None of the girls really complained about living in Vista during their time there and in the end, they thought all the angst about where they were going to live was much ado about nothing.

I'll also note that my dd spent so much time away from the apartment, that the quality of the apartment was inconsequential to her. The only thing she really complained about was the unreliability of the internet connection.

Vista is known as the party apartment, but my dd didn't really experience that. She had two roommates who went OUT and partied every night, but they didn't party at the apartment. On the other hand, she had friends in both Patterson and Chatham who had roommates terminated for underage drinking in their apartments.

She also knew people who got terminated while on the "party bus" -- there is a bus that goes to the Disney apartments and picks the kids up and brings them to nightspots. They would then get on the bus and come back to the apartments. Occasionally, however, the party bus people would be met by Disney security and be terminated on the spot. One night, an entire bus of kids was terminated while on the bus -- the kids were so rowdy, the bus driver pulled over, called Disney and the CP director came out and fired them all. (It's amazingly easy to get into bars and drink in Orlando, btw. Those two roommates of dd's that went out partying every night were 19 years old and got into bars every night and drank.)

Last edited by Andtototoo; 09-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1218
szymcl
Mouseketeer

My daughter was assigned to Vista on Sept 5. We had driven around the other complexes and they are newer and in a better area for jogging maybe, and closer to the Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine, is any of you need a Catholic Church! She did have a choice, but she had met some girls in line that she wanted to room with and the only choice for those 6 girls to be together was Vista.
She likes it just fine. Her apartment is located steps away from the bus stop, and to get to the jobs, it picks up Vista last so she gets to work fast. Coming home it drops off at the the other complex area first. (She does have a car, but is usually taking the bus). It is a bit worn, one of her dresser drawers doesn't open and close well, and she happens to be in one of the apartments with 6 girls and 2 bathrooms. With a drawing of straws, she is sharing a bathroom with 4 girls, because one of the bedrooms has a bathroom inside. That is just how they are handling it. She shares a nice big walk in closet with her roommate.
This works well for her, she is a college grad, hoping to stay on after the program, so she appreciates the lower cost per week! And she loves her roommates! She is a lifeguard, one of the other girls is as well, 1 is in merchandise at Epcot, 1 is quick service and 2 are in culinary. The culinary girls will only be there through the end of the Food and Wine Festival.
Naturally the girls have very different hours and are not all home at the same time!
szymcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #1219
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

My daughter was accepted yesterday for Spring advantage. She wants to wait to hear if her friend was accepted before she accepts. How long does she have to accept and pay?

I'm going to be furious if she turns it down because of her friend, this was my daughters dream for years...
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #1220
vellamint
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
My daughter was accepted yesterday for Spring advantage. She wants to wait to hear if her friend was accepted before she accepts. How long does she have to accept and pay?

I'm going to be furious if she turns it down because of her friend, this was my daughters dream for years...
I feel for you....she has 10 days to accept....can you talk her into it anyway....sheesh I would be furious also.

Disney Parents....does anyone have a good packing list....I may have seen one on this thread but I read it before my girls were accepted and dont want to read the whole thing again....

If we are arriving at Saratoga Springs the day before can I ship a box there? Can I ship them a box each AFTER we get home from bringing them. I am a "nester" and cant imagine them being able to survive until August with only what we can bring in one suitcase and one carry on lol.

So excited for them
05/14 Disney College Program #2! Kidani --
02/13 Disney Fantasy & CSR -- 05/13 AKV Mothers Day!! -- 06/13 WL -- 08/13 OKW --10/13 POR F&W/MNSSHP -- 12/13 ASP MVMCP/Candlelight! -- 02/2014 Disney Fantasy
01/13 -- Disney College Program!! - SSR
02/12 Disney Dream -- 08/11 BLT - Kids 1st Trip "Home" -- 09/11 POR F&W/MNSSHP
11/2010 Disneyland Paris For My GIRLS SWEET 16!! (Sequoia Lodge)
08/09 All Star Sports -- 11/09 BWV & Disney Wonder -- 2/2010 The Disneyland Hotel -- 10/10 BLT F&W/MNSSHP
01/09 Grand Floridian & Disney Wonder -- 8/08 Hard Rock Hotel & Cypress Pointe & Pop Century --
2/08 Animal Kingdom Villas --
8/06 All Star Movies & Venetian Villages -- 4/06 Grand Californian
3/05 Wilderness Lodge Villas -- 8/04 Disneyland & DCA -- 2/04 Boardwalk Villas -- 8/03 HIFS & Marriott Cypress Harbour
1/03 Beach Club Villas & Old Key West -- 4/02 Radisson Twin Towers & Caribbean Beach -- 8/00 Holiday Inn Sunspree
vellamint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #1221
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellamint View Post

If we are arriving at Saratoga Springs the day before can I ship a box there? Can I ship them a box each AFTER we get home from bringing them. I am a "nester" and cant imagine them being able to survive until August with only what we can bring in one suitcase and one carry on lol.

So excited for them
Yes to both questions. Your daughters will have an address and the box will be held in the office for them. They should receive a notice that it has arrived but I always made sure my daughter knew to expect it.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #1222
jmqidoc
Earning My Ears

Daughter DCPSA2013 Custodial

WHOOHOO.. just about as excited for my daughter as she is...after being pended from first day of interviews and turned down last day off acceptances.. she applied again. This time.. shes in.. after many days of anxiety and tears and joys .. we can now plan the next step.
Intro..
DD.. Nikki 20 attends Univ of Oregon (GO DUCKS) Soph.
will be doing Spring advantage 2013 Custodial.

She got the acceptance yesterday.. we paid the fees.. she will be checking in Jan 21. Thankfully I had enough flight mileage to get the two of us to Orlando. We will arrive Saturday.. her check in is Monday. that will get us Sunday to possibly enjoy the parks. Hopefully one of her friends will be able to meet us and get us in the park.. HMM her xbf starts Jan 7. so he would have already done traditions and gotten his passes right?

Any suggestions on inexpensive ways to make this work.. I am hoping to stay in one of the Value resorts. Any idea how the hotel discounts work.
I figure it would be easiest for us to stay at a Value resort and utilize the Transportation from the Airport. When she checks in we will most likely get a taxi.

HAHA and to make things work for me.. seeing we had enough points for two one way to Orlando with United.. I checked my Alaska mileage and if I pay a flight home one way I will have enough points for a free return flight for DD. So basically I will be able to get a flight from Orlando for myself for $160 one way and all remainder flights will be free with mileage..

OHHh DD will be making a FB group for Spring Advantage parents.. will post info when it is started.

ohh one other ?? any idea of schedule of events once they are checked in? would she possibly have the day after off or is it full scheduled of events for her once she is checked in> She is saying Traditions usually is two days after check in... anyone able to clarify this?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #1223
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

My daughter applied to to Spring session and not the advantage. Curious what fees are we talking about - amount and what they are for and does this also apply to the regular Spring session.

Thank you.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #1224
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqidoc View Post
HMM her xbf starts Jan 7. so he would have already done traditions and gotten his passes right?

ohh one other ?? any idea of schedule of events once they are checked in? would she possibly have the day after off or is it full scheduled of events for her once she is checked in> She is saying Traditions usually is two days after check in... anyone able to clarify this?
Most likely, but not always (sometimes it can take a bit before the Maingate arrives).

And the next day sometimes has the housing meeting. Traditions falls on the third day (so a Wed, if check in on a Mon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
My daughter applied to to Spring session and not the advantage. Curious what fees are we talking about - amount and what they are for and does this also apply to the regular Spring session.

Thank you.
The fee is $300 (which is rent for 2 weeks). And it applys for both regular and advantage
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #1225
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Thank you Joanna. I really hope she gets this. I don't know who will be more disappointed if she does not

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #1226
Yvette563
Mouseketeer

Hi there everyone!! My daughter was accepted for the Spring Advantage @ WDW yesterday.. We are sooooo excited.. In all honesty I am excited and a little sad that my oldest child AND only girl will be leaving. We live in Southern California so making the trip out to visit more than once is not feasible. Anyway... I do have a few questions to ask. I apologize in advance if they have already been asked and answered...

For those who have their children already in the CP can you give me an idea on a shopping list of what you shopped for once your child received their apt assignment.

Also, I know there is no TV in the apt, did anyone purchase a tv for their child or have one shipped to them? I've read that they spend so much time out of the apt, do they need a tv?

Lastly, is there a site or thread where future CP's can try to meet possible roommates?
Thank you all so much! I know this thread will end up being a Godsend!
Blessings
Yvette
Yvette563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #1227
jmqidoc
Earning My Ears

Yvette563..Congrats to you and your DD. There is a couple groups on Facebook of many others who have applied and accepted for Spring or SA DCP. If you do a search on FB for Disney College Program Spring/Spring Advantage 2013, Disney College Program Spring 2013, this will get you/her to the main tallks. there have been many seperate groups started for the specific dates of movein. I have also started a page for parents. DCP Spring/ Spring Advantage 2013 Parents I am hoping that people will join the group and give each other not only helpful advise but also support.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/430218563680184/ (link for parent group)

There are many sites on the internet with info on moving lists. Simply do a search for DCP Packing list.. there are some YOUTUBE thingies as well.

http://www.wdwradio.com/2012/02/the-...-what-to-pack/

http://beth-john.blogspot.com/p/coll...king-list.html

Thanks Joanna for the insite on maingate passes. Im sure we are all awaiting that magical day of Passes. Too bad we cannot utilize them when we are moving our darlings in.

Getting excited for things to come... what a exciting journey for our children to experience
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #1228
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Thank you Joanna. I really hope she gets this. I don't know who will be more disappointed if she does not
No problem! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her

Quote:
Thanks Joanna for the insite on maingate passes. Im sure we are all awaiting that magical day of Passes. Too bad we cannot utilize them when we are moving our darlings in.

Getting excited for things to come... what a exciting journey for our children to experience
You're welcome!
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #1229
tripletots
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yvette563..Congrats to you and your DD. There is a couple groups on Facebook of many others who have applied and accepted for Spring or SA DCP. If you do a search on FB for Disney College Program Spring/Spring Advantage 2013, Disney College Program Spring 2013, this will get you/her to the main tallks. there have been many seperate groups started for the specific dates of movein. I have also started a page for parents. DCP Spring/ Spring Advantage 2013 Parents I am hoping that people will join the group and give each other not only helpful advise but also support.

There are many sites on the internet with info on moving lists. Simply do a search for DCP Packing list.. there are some YOUTUBE thingies as well.

I just put in a request to join your group. My DD was accepted for Attractions.

. .
tripletots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #1230
Yvette563
Mouseketeer

Quote:

JMQIDOC,

Thanks so much for all the info! This helps sooooo much.. Will definitely be joining your FB group! Thanks again...

Blessings
Yvette
Yvette563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: