Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #1111
taigirl87
Resident Pixie Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentfan6 View Post
Living in a wellness apartment does not mean there will be no alcohol, smoking or partying. It just means that if you get caught with alcohol in the apartment you can be immediately terminated. If she's not a partier or a smoker, she needs to hand pick her roommates and not leave it up to chance. I would suggest that she go non-wellness and pick roommates who are like her and not into parties and smoking. This way, she takes less of a risk if someone bring alcohol home. She may not want to be stuck with a bunch of partying 18 year-olds, which could well happen in wellness.
This is the exact reason why I went non-wellness instead of wellness. My roommate and I are both lds and don't drink, so we debated back and forth but ultimately we didn't want to risk getting terminated for our roommates mistakes(they don't ask questions, so if you are over 21 and in wellness, and you didn't rat your roommates out, your gone as well they'll assume even that you supplied it). We ended up with two wonderful roommates who did drink and party, but never at home, and not in excess. And if your daughter does end up with partiers, she can always request to change. Also, she should look into staying at chatham(that's where I was) or Patterson as she runs less risk of being out with partiers there.
taigirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #1112
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraney106 View Post
Thank you for the info. My daughter is 22 but doesn't drink or smoke. Hoping she is requesting wellness. She is NOT a partier by any means.
My daughter just turned 19 and will graduate this next spring and wants to move on with life. She does not party and would do wellness if selected, but the pended is killing her, she is not used to dragging her a.. with anything.

She is now just talking about doing an internship, she is just about fed up with Disney and so am I. Time to write letters again.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #1113
BadDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigirl87 View Post
This is the exact reason why I went non-wellness instead of wellness. My roommate and I are both lds and don't drink, so we debated back and forth but ultimately we didn't want to risk getting terminated for our roommates mistakes(they don't ask questions, so if you are over 21 and in wellness, and you didn't rat your roommates out, your gone as well they'll assume even that you supplied it). We ended up with two wonderful roommates who did drink and party, but never at home, and not in excess. And if your daughter does end up with partiers, she can always request to change. Also, she should look into staying at chatham(that's where I was) or Patterson as she runs less risk of being out with partiers there.
My S was a CPer last year (Spr Adv 2011)
He turned 21 down there and changed from wellness to non-wellness.
The maturity of his 21+ roommates made his experience better.
They worked together to take out garbage, clean the bathroom, and wash dishes. They respected each others work times and room temperture.
BadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1114
BadDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraney106 View Post
Thank you for the info. My daughter is 22 but doesn't drink or smoke. Hoping she is requesting wellness. She is NOT a partier by any means.
If security finds alcohol in a wellness apt in an area open to all the residents, ALL residents will be terminated regardless who brought it in.

Pick non-wellness. 18 year olds are not as mature as a 22 year old. My S was 20 going on 21. His first group of roommates had taken only 1 college class and still had a H.S. mentality.

My 2 cents.
BadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #1115
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

My DD was 19 and "met" all 7 roommates on FB ahead of time. All agreed to no drinking, drugs, partying, etc. One month after arrival her room roommate met a boyfriend who was 26 & bought her alcohol which she put in her locker in their closet. She was termed the next day after security showed up to inspect the apartment. She told them she was the only one who drank it and no one else was termed (I guess since it was in her locker, not in the open). But anyway, it just goes to show that even though roommates may agree on things at the beginning, it can change once they get down there.

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #1116
Brenda P
Earning My Ears

Bittersweet

My dd got in to the fall program. She will be 21 when she goes. Having issues between being so excited for her and panicky and sad for me! Am I the only one? How are the other moms dealing? Also finding it stressful trying to budget enough $ to visit several times. Have not read all the posts here yet so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. What type of discounts do they get for their families to come to visit? How do you book? Should we buy annual passes now or is their some type of discount she could get on that?

Thanks for the help!
Brenda P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #1117
Gucci65
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
My daughter just turned 19 and will graduate this next spring and wants to move on with life. She does not party and would do wellness if selected, but the pended is killing her, she is not used to dragging her a.. with anything.

She is now just talking about doing an internship, she is just about fed up with Disney and so am I. Time to write letters again.

Jack
I know it's hard, but have a little patience. I believe there is a lot that goes into the College Program selection. My daughter applied for Spring 2012 the day it opened (sometime in August), had her phone interview a week later and got her acceptance 10 days after that (she is a junior). Her friend did everything exactly the same EXCEPT she was pended and finally found out around 12/10/11 that she was not accepted.

We found out later that she was on academic probation because she had dropped a few classes (which also meant bad attendance) AND her GPA was under 2.0. I also think that she limited herself because she put BBB as her first choice, character attendant as her second choice......cant' remember her third.

On the brighter side, since my daughter checked in on 1/9/12 she is absolutely LOVING everything about the program! No issues with work, classes, managers, nada. Only bad thing was that her roommate was termed from the program last week.

Good luck and although it's hard (I went thru this only a daily basis with the girls mom) it will be worth it in the end when she gets accepted :0)
Gucci65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #1118
Gucci65
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Jack
Mr. Jack - I just noticed that you said your daughter will graduate next spring. So forgive me for asking.........is she still in high school? If so, that may be why she is still pending...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #1119
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci65 View Post
Mr. Jack - I just noticed that you said your daughter will graduate next spring. So forgive me for asking.........is she still in high school? If so, that may be why she is still pending...
She will graduate from Washington State University with a 4 year degree. Her GPA is about 3.9, they are about ready to start their spring break neck week. The whole process has held up the whole families plans for vacation or virtually any travel. Our vacation time has to be submitted at least 4 months in advance and most depends on when my boss is in the office. I have a contract that say I work when he does...period, plus I also work a consulting job that requires travel so we wait..
Thanks for the advice but patience is something I wish I had but do not have the luxury for.

Have a great weekend,

Jack
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #1120
Gucci65
Earning My Ears

Quote:
She will graduate from Washington State University with a 4 year degree. Her GPA is about 3.9, they are about ready to start their spring break neck week. The whole process has held up the whole families plans for vacation or virtually any travel. Our vacation time has to be submitted at least 4 months in advance and most depends on when my boss is in the office. I have a contract that say I work when he does...period, plus I also work a consulting job that requires travel so we wait..
Thanks for the advice but patience is something I wish I had but do not have the luxury for.

Have a great weekend,

Jack
Any news yet Jack?

Your daughter certainly has great qualifications! The only holdup I can think of is if she had very limited role choices like BBB or character attendant.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #1121
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci65 View Post
Any news yet Jack?

Your daughter certainly has great qualifications! The only holdup I can think of is if she had very limited role choices like BBB or character attendant.

Thanks for asking, not a word as of yet. I think her first two choices were Hotel CS(something like that) and photographer. We are hanging in there.
My son is in his second week of AF basic training so we have added that trip to Lackland late April. I hate not be able to plan.

Jack
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #1122
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for asking, not a word as of yet. I think her first two choices were Hotel CS(something like that) and photographer. We are hanging in there.
My son is in his second week of AF basic training so we have added that trip to Lackland late April. I hate not be able to plan.

Jack
Hope you don't mind someone new piping in to this! I know that working the front desk at the hotels and photographer are both roles where they don't hire a ton of people to fill, and people who make those their only/primary choices seem to often get pended. I'm basing this off of the number of people on the facebook groups who end up pended, saying their first choices were more selective roles or roles that weren't hiring as many people. I had asked for Pirate's League/BBB and Character Attendant in my interview and I don't think they saw me as a perfect fit for that, because I was pended for a while before eventually being accepted and given the role Merchandise, which I actually specifically said I didn't really want, but would do if it was needed since my work background is all retail.

And I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but I contacted them by email and let them know that I could do other roles that I hadn't mentioned in the interview, and that I'd be very happy to even work an outdoor cart in Merchandise, and within 24 hours I heard back with an acceptance.

I hope she hears back soon, I know how stressful it is to wait and wait and wait and not know your future!
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #1123
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikistitch View Post
I had asked for Pirate's League/BBB and Character Attendant in my interview and I don't think they saw me as a perfect fit for that, because I was pended for a while before eventually being accepted and given the role Merchandise, which I actually specifically said I didn't really want, but would do if it was needed since my work background is all retail.
FYI - TPL and BBB are Merch roles. TPL has pulled Merch CPs and crossed trained them as Pirates when we were low on labor.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #1124
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
FYI - TPL and BBB are Merch roles. TPL has pulled Merch CPs and crossed trained them as Pirates when we were low on labor.
Oooh, are they? BBB is listed separately now on the application but if it's a Merch role, I hope maybe I'll get TPL since I had so much fun when I took my nephew to do it on our last trip! It would be so awesome and fun to get cross trained to do it :D
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #1125
jrico
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if disney offers any discounts on staying on property before check-in?
I understand park passes are not something that CPs get till they have completed Traditions.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: