Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #1081
Atotty
DIS Veteran
 
Atotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,170

I think it's different for everyone. My dd checked in Feb 1 and was done by lunch. Was off the second day and did traditions the third day. Was off the fourth and started training the 5th.

Her roommates for the most part checked in Feb 1; done by lunch. Off day 2. Traditions day 3 and training day 4.
__________________
=^..^=
Anna T.
Moved Here December 2012; POP Thanksgiving 2012; Day Trip July 2012; Yacht Club CL May/June 2012; Offsite School Competition April 2012; CBR Mar 2012; POP Jan/Feb 2012; DTD Hilton Apr 2011; POFQ/AKV/CSR Nov 2010; CBR/Windsor Hills/POR June 2009; AKV/RPH/Windsor Hills June 2008; All Star Sports/Dolphin Thanksgiving 2007; POP/Windsor Hills June 2007; POP June 2006; POR Oct 2005; POR May 2004; AKL May 2003; MK 1985; Epcot 1984; Disneyland 1969
Atotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #1082
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3poohlovers View Post
Thanks! We are also DVC members. Unfortunately, we already made our plane reservations and so we aren't arriving until the day before she checks in. So, once your DD checked-in, were you able to see her for dinner? We are renting a car so we will be helping her get settled. She won't have a car with her though. Her boyfriend also just applied but hasn't been accepted though so I have no clue what to do about dinner reservations. Fortunately, we are staying in a DVC villa so we don't have to worry about doing a package and adding them. If they spend the night with us, great, but if not that's ok, their names will still be on our room reservation. Because we live in CA, we won't be back until Thanksgiving to see her. Hopefully it all works out.

How does your DD like it?
Okay, our daughter checked in on Monday. We met her at DTD with her "new roommates" and the other parents for a quick lunch at Earl of Sandwich. Then they had a couple of hours to get stuff moved into their apt. before they had that mandatory apt. meeting. THEN...yes we went to dinner. She stayed with us at POR. that last night. All of the girls stayed that last night with their parents. Then on Tuesday they had the day off...except she had to run back to Casting to redo that finger print thing. So that would be a day you could hang out and have dinner. Then on Wed. I am pretty sure it was Traditions and those times vary. They have morning ones and afternoon ones. Not sure if they do an evening one. Her and her roommates did the afternoon one. So that might be another night you can hang out with her. She started her training on Thursday as did 2 of her roommates but the one didn't start until Sat. SO I think it will just depend on check in and then she will know her schedule more. There are 4 of them in an apt. only one girl from Hawaii did not have her car. My husband and son drove her car down from MD. I know it is hard to have a car when you live on the west coast or Hawaii for that matter. LOL You can always add them to your ADR and if they can't make it, then you just show up and explain that your daughter/boyfriend are in the college program and their schedules changed.

BTW...we love Thanksgiving at WDW. We have been 4 times I think during that time. We are going back over Spring Break, renting a house at Windsor Hills with my parents. That will be a first for us. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope her boyfriend makes it in too. My daughter is having a hard time being away from her boyfriend back at college in MD. He is coming over his spring break the third week of March. Then just this week he told her he is driving down on Friday of this next week to see her over the three day weekend. They are both missing each other a lot.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #1083
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran
 
momof3poohlovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Posts: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Okay, our daughter checked in on Monday. We met her at DTD with her "new roommates" and the other parents for a quick lunch at Earl of Sandwich. Then they had a couple of hours to get stuff moved into their apt. before they had that mandatory apt. meeting. THEN...yes we went to dinner. She stayed with us at POR. that last night. All of the girls stayed that last night with their parents. Then on Tuesday they had the day off...except she had to run back to Casting to redo that finger print thing. So that would be a day you could hang out and have dinner. Then on Wed. I am pretty sure it was Traditions and those times vary. They have morning ones and afternoon ones. Not sure if they do an evening one. Her and her roommates did the afternoon one. So that might be another night you can hang out with her. She started her training on Thursday as did 2 of her roommates but the one didn't start until Sat. SO I think it will just depend on check in and then she will know her schedule more. There are 4 of them in an apt. only one girl from Hawaii did not have her car. My husband and son drove her car down from MD. I know it is hard to have a car when you live on the west coast or Hawaii for that matter. LOL You can always add them to your ADR and if they can't make it, then you just show up and explain that your daughter/boyfriend are in the college program and their schedules changed.

BTW...we love Thanksgiving at WDW. We have been 4 times I think during that time. We are going back over Spring Break, renting a house at Windsor Hills with my parents. That will be a first for us. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope her boyfriend makes it in too. My daughter is having a hard time being away from her boyfriend back at college in MD. He is coming over his spring break the third week of March. Then just this week he told her he is driving down on Friday of this next week to see her over the three day weekend. They are both missing each other a lot.
Thank you! I think I am going to just make reservations with her and her boyfriend and then if they don't make it (or DD's boyfriend doesn't make it into the CP) I will just do what you say and tell them at check-in they couldn't make it. I think it is better to have them on the reservation and cancel than to try and add them.

I really hope her DB makes it into the CP because I have a feeling it will be really hard for her to be away from him for that long. I remember dating my DH at that age and I know I wouldn't have been able to be apart from him for that long. Her DB will come with us for Thanksgiving though if he doesn't get in.

We have also gone several times during Thanksgiving. That is usually the week we go. I love that time of the year!
__________________
momof3poohlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #1084
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran
 
momof3poohlovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Posts: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atotty View Post
I think it's different for everyone. My dd checked in Feb 1 and was done by lunch. Was off the second day and did traditions the third day. Was off the fourth and started training the 5th.

Her roommates for the most part checked in Feb 1; done by lunch. Off day 2. Traditions day 3 and training day 4.
Thanks! I am hoping she is able to spend the evenings with us but if she can't I totally understand. She has been living away from home for the last year and a half while attending college so I am hoping she won't get too homesick.
__________________
momof3poohlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #1085
recmouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Farmingdale, NY
Posts: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3poohlovers View Post
My daughter was accepted last week into the college program for fall!!!!! I am so excited for her but have a ton of questions. I have read through some of this thread and thank you all so much for the information, it has definitely helped. One question I haven't seen yet is, she checks in on Aug. 8th, we live in California and are all flying out there. How much time will she have to spend with us once she checks in on the morning of the 8th? The only reason I am wondering is I am trying to plan dining and I am not sure if she will even have time to eat with us in the evenings. We will be there until the 12th so will she even have time to see us the first 4 days of the program? I just don't want to exclude her but I also understand that she probably won't have time to see us either.
It's definitely different for everyone. With my daughter and her 3 roommates... they had varying Traditions times, and all started training on different days. My daughter had something everyday the first several days. Two of her roommates had 2 off days before training... you just don't know! She checked in on Wednesday and I flew out on Saturday night. The last I saw her was on Friday night.

What I do know... that check in day is hectic! Well especially when it comes to moving them into the apartment, meeting roommates, the girls running to meetings, parents running to Target and Walmart, and others cleaning and setting up tvs and computers, etc. But it all works out!

My daughter doesn't have a car there. We are DVC members and stayed at the Boardwalk. We flew down the day before her check in date but I had shipped 3 boxes with her linens, some clothes, bed risers and whatever else I could think of down the week before. That was a BIG help! I really only had to go food shopping for her on check in day and a few other odds and ends.

I included her in all our dinner reservations. She texted me early enough so I would know if she was going to make it. If not - I called dining and cancelled her... I didn't want to tempt getting stuck with the new $10 no-show fee!

She's working QSFB... she says it's hard but she is having a good time as well!

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.
recmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #1086
atlastiseethelight
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 13

Whoops, wrong thread, and I don't know how to delete yet. Sorry, ignore me!
atlastiseethelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #1087
Thepen
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2

When my dd checked in, she got there at 7:45am and they were already checking in people. Because of the late start date, they were not allowed to do the roommate match beforehand. She and two other girls basically met in the line and decided to room together. A fourth girl was added.

They went from check in to casting. At that time, she was told in which park she would be working and in which section of the park, but not which rides (she's in Attractions. She found out which rides her first day of actual park training). She was back with us shortly before noon. During that time -- from 7:45am to noon -- we were at the Welcome Center where they gave us a packet, a tour of the Vista Way apartment set up, and you could sit through a short DVC presentation.

Once they got back from casting, we went over to the apartment. Since they were assigned Vista Way, we just walked/drove there from the Welcome Center. Three of the girls were there with parents and one girl had flown in by herself. We moved them in. Two of the girls went off with their parents. We invited the girl without parents to come out with us for lunch. (To be honest, I don't know what she would have done for lunch otherwise as there was naturally no food at the apartment and there is no place to buy it at the complex. I guess she would have had to hoof it out to the main drag and walk to some place.) We left after that to get our plane back home. The apartment meeting was at 3pm. My dd had dinner with the girl who had flown down alone, while the other two girls went out with their parents. One set of parents flew home early the next morning and the final set were staying for a week or so.

The girls were off the next day and three of the four roommates hung out together. They spent some time at the Boardwalk via the bus service and going to Target/ Walmart for apartment stuff (after waiting 90 minutes for a bus that never came, my dd just used her car to make the shopping trips). The fourth girl's parents were still there and so she stayed with them. The girls had different schedules in terms of when they took Traditions and started training and how long their days were. My dd had very long days right from the beginning and if we'd been there, we would have only seen her in the evenings.

I think the biggest adjustments for my dd were (1) in working full-time hours on your feet. She is exhausted after 7 straight days of 8 hours on her feet and being "on stage" with guests during the entirety of that time. (2) expectations. I think she was expecting/hoping that the Disney supervisors would be nicer than supervisors she's had. She's worked since she was 14 in a variety of settings and she's had some real jerks for supervisors here at home, so she's not an inexperienced worker. She was hoping Disney would be a better working experience. Let's just say that some times it's been a good experience and sometimes it's been very negative, largely because some of the supervisors are fine and some are... not.

Last edited by Thepen; 02-15-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Thepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #1088
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 2,264

My DD was disillusioned by the management, too. She said they are underpaid and miserable. And sometimes nasty. She went down thinking career and will come home instead.

OTOH, they don't seem to have dampened her enjoyment of her time as a cast member!
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #1089
DeeCee735
"How Do You Know of the Key?"
 
DeeCee735's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISshopkeeper View Post
My DD was disillusioned by the management, too. She said they are underpaid and miserable. And sometimes nasty. She went down thinking career and will come home instead.

OTOH, they don't seem to have dampened her enjoyment of her time as a cast member!
My son as well. He got wonderful experience, had a great time and made lots of friends. However, the pay is very low and getting in as a career is very competitive. He will use the experience for his resume, but he isn't looking for full time employment there...
__________________
Diane
Upcoming:
AKV 11/14,BWV 2/15,BWV4/15

AKV 6/14,VWL5/14,BWV 2/14,BWV 11/13, AKV 10/13,AKV/BWV 3/13,AKV 2/13,BWV 12/12 SEDONA RCI TRADE 4/12,BWV 2/12, OFFSITE 12/11,AKV11/11,DREAM/BWV 4/11, AKV 2/11, SSR 1/11, BWV 6/10, HH 3/10, AKV/BWV1/10,AKV11/09, OKW 3/09, BWV 1/09, BWV 10/08,AKV/BWV/HHI/CHARLESTON PL 4/08,BWV 9/07, HH 4/07, BWV 2/06, BWV 10/05, OKW 2/05,BWV 3/04,BWV 10/03, BWV 2/03, BWV4/02,Wonder&BWV2/01,BWV 5/00,Offsite2/00,WL/CS98,Poly 6/95
DeeCee735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #1090
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran
 
momof3poohlovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Posts: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepen View Post
When my dd checked in, she got there at 7:45am and they were already checking in people. Because of the late start date, they were not allowed to do the roommate match beforehand. She and two other girls basically met in the line and decided to room together. A fourth girl was added.

They went from check in to casting. At that time, she was told in which park she would be working and in which section of the park, but not which rides (she's in Attractions. She found out which rides her first day of actual park training). She was back with us shortly before noon. During that time -- from 7:45am to noon -- we were at the Welcome Center where they gave us a packet, a tour of the Vista Way apartment set up, and you could sit through a short DVC presentation.

Once they got back from casting, we went over to the apartment. Since they were assigned Vista Way, we just walked/drove there from the Welcome Center. Three of the girls were there with parents and one girl had flown in by herself. We moved them in. Two of the girls went off with their parents. We invited the girl without parents to come out with us for lunch. (To be honest, I don't know what she would have done for lunch otherwise as there was naturally no food at the apartment and there is no place to buy it at the complex. I guess she would have had to hoof it out to the main drag and walk to some place.) We left after that to get our plane back home. The apartment meeting was at 3pm. My dd had dinner with the girl who had flown down alone, while the other two girls went out with their parents. One set of parents flew home early the next morning and the final set were staying for a week or so.

The girls were off the next day and three of the four roommates hung out together. They spent some time at the Boardwalk via the bus service and going to Target/ Walmart for apartment stuff (after waiting 90 minutes for a bus that never came, my dd just used her car to make the shopping trips). The fourth girl's parents were still there and so she stayed with them. The girls had different schedules in terms of when they took Traditions and started training and how long their days were. My dd had very long days right from the beginning and if we'd been there, we would have only seen her in the evenings.

I think the biggest adjustments for my dd were (1) in working full-time hours on your feet. She is exhausted after 7 straight days of 8 hours on her feet and being "on stage" with guests during the entirety of that time. (2) expectations. I think she was expecting/hoping that the Disney supervisors would be nicer than supervisors she's had. She's worked since she was 14 in a variety of settings and she's had some real jerks for supervisors here at home, so she's not an inexperienced worker. She was hoping Disney would be a better working experience. Let's just say that some times it's been a good experience and sometimes it's been very negative, largely because some of the supervisors are fine and some are... not.
This is great information. My DD is also working Attractions so it will be nice to give her a head's up!
__________________
momof3poohlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #1091
Yvette563
Mouseketeer
 
Yvette563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Posts: 121

Question Pending Letter

Hi everyone... I have a question which may have already been asked and aswered. I have skimmed thru all the posts but there are so many I can't seem to find what I'm looking for..

My DD applied for Fall Advantage, took her online test and finally interviewed on Feb 6th. She said she felt the interview went well.. We have been waiting on pins and needles to hear from them and finally got a "Pending Final Decision" email this morning. My question is... For those of you who's children also received this letter, did your child get accepted into the program.. The email said we would hear back by April and that wait is going to drive us INSANE! So I'm just trying to get a feel for what the majortiy has been out there... Thanks so much! And thanks to ALL who have posted on this thread! The info on here is invaluable...
Yvette563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #1092
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran
 
Praise2Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Jacksonville, AL. USA
Posts: 3,004

Yes, my DD was pending when she applied. April is the latest she'll find out but it could be sooner. My DD was pending for about 2 or 3 weeks before she was accepted. Others I've read about were pending the whole time. Many who are pending are eventually accepted, but some are not. I guess it depends on which roles are available and which are already filled. My DD did get the role she wanted (Costuming). How many roles did your DD check off?
__________________
~Lisa~






Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Praise2Him is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #1093
Yvette563
Mouseketeer
 
Yvette563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
Yes, my DD was pending when she applied. April is the latest she'll find out but it could be sooner. My DD was pending for about 2 or 3 weeks before she was accepted. Others I've read about were pending the whole time. Many who are pending are eventually accepted, but some are not. I guess it depends on which roles are available and which are already filled. My DD did get the role she wanted (Costuming). How many roles did your DD check off?
Thank you so much for your quick reply... She chose Operations such as attractions, guest research, park greeter, photopass photographer, main entrance operations, and character attendant, costuming, retail sales, disney desk, front desk, guest services, Food and Bev.. I think she tried to let them know she was up for anything... Congrats on your DD acceptance!!!
Yvette563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #1094
johnandsadie
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17

How do you check your dashboard?

My son just had a phone interview and we are waiting. How do you check the dashboard?
johnandsadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #1095
Yvette563
Mouseketeer
 
Yvette563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandsadie View Post
My son just had a phone interview and we are waiting. How do you check the dashboard?
Hi there... If you go to http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/default/ you can log on to his dashboard... During the initial application process my daughter had to creat a login and password.. So your son should have set that up already.. If not I believe you can create one on the website... Hope this helps.. Good luck to your son... The waiting is HORRIBLE... lol Many prayers that he gets accepted!!!
Yvette563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: