Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1066
dustydanny
I'm a Disney Mom accepted into Disney College Program spring 2012! Whoo hoo!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDad View Post
Register at Centura Care, it's a non-Disney health clinic / urgent care. They cater to CPers (they will pick up a CPer). My S completed the program last year (Sp 2011).
Unfortunately, tourist do go to WDW sick since they've paid for non-refundable plane tickets, etc. CPer get sick and it's no fund figuring out how to pay for a $150 strep test when you're on min wage.

I got the call at 2pm in theafternoon and had to provide payment info over the phone (you can set that up there).

If your kid is in Comm College & living at home, this is above and beyond a great exp,

Thank you so much for this great information! I arrive 1/23 and was wondering about this very thing. I know what you mean about sick guests (I've been guilty of that myself )

I think a flu shot is a good idea as well (can't hurt) I don't wanna look this ------->>>
dustydanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #1067
recmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustydanny View Post
Thank you so much for this great information! I arrive 1/23 and was wondering about this very thing. I know what you mean about sick guests (I've been guilty of that myself )

I think a flu shot is a good idea as well (can't hurt) I don't wanna look this ------->>>
Yep - I had my daughter get a flu shot!
recmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #1068
Iris
Not-so-secretly wishing to own the Disney Wonder
Loves her Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by recmouse View Post
Any CP'ers out there that remember those 1 or 2 things they wish they had with them when they first got there? I just don't want to go crazy buying things at Walmart that I could have brought with us.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Since you are flying, it might be easier to get some things at Walmart once you arrive - things we wished we had - - CLEANING SUPPLIES! My DD stayed at Vista during the first part of her program and the rooms were pretty dirty and lots of cleaning needed to be done. During her extension she stayed at Chatham which was a little cleaner but still needed some extra cleaning. It still baffles me to this day why PM can't get these places cleaned in time for all the move-ins with the prices they are charging per student for each of these places.

Formerly of #462 and #737 Disneyland-1967&1987 : Prior trips to WDW-1971,1975,1976,1981,1986,1991,Every year since 1994 Disney Wonder Cruises: 2001,2002,2003; Nov.3, 2004-DVC AKL (last trip as a CM~ )December 7-10, 2004 Pop with DD for 1st trip to Pop Warner ChampionshipsJune 2005-DVC SS; Dec. 8-11, 2005 All stars with DDs for Pop Warner ChampionshipsDec. 23, 2005 - Boardwalk~Christmas at WDW!! Royal Carribbean Cruise 2005July 6-13, 2006 ~ Boardwalk DVCDLR ~ February 17-22, 2007~1st time in 20 years!June 18-25, 2007~OKW DVC September 9-13,2007~AKL DVC;June 2008~OKW DVC;JUNE 2009~ OKW DVC September 2009~DVC WL; 2 trips in one year!;Aug29-Sept.5,2010-DVC OKW~Taking DD to WDW for CareerStart!!;December 9-15, 2010 @DVC SSR to see Steph! February 26-March 4, 2011~OKW DVC to see Steph as a Character Performer!!:May 11-16,2011~OKW DVC to help move Steph permanently to Florida!;June 22-27,2011-quick trip to see Steph;Oct. 13-22, 2011-Girls trip!;Dec.4-10, 2011~DVC SSR to see Steph in the castle show!,3/27-4/1/12~Off property to help Steph move!:Nov.8-13,2012~DVC-F&W5K&visit Steph!
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #1069
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

This is my first post here so please tolerate my ignorance. My DD just finished her phone interview last night and now we wait to see what the next step may be. She is 18 but will be a senior in college starting the spring and since DLR is closest to where we live hope if accepted that is where she will be going.
I have wandered thru the thread but, I am clueless what happens next, she was told in 3 weeks she should hear.
Can some please point me in the right direction so I can establish a better knowledge base.

Thanks,

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #1070
Amanda08
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
This is my first post here so please tolerate my ignorance. My DD just finished her phone interview last night and now we wait to see what the next step may be. She is 18 but will be a senior in college starting the spring and since DLR is closest to where we live hope if accepted that is where she will be going.
I have wandered thru the thread but, I am clueless what happens next, she was told in 3 weeks she should hear.
Can some please point me in the right direction so I can establish a better knowledge base.

Thanks,

Jack
All you have left to do is wait! Make sure your daughter keeps checking her dashboard on the college program site for her status and any communications. Good luck!

Feel free to follow me!
www.twitter.com/AmandaE21
Amanda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #1071
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda08 View Post
All you have left to do is wait! Make sure your daughter keeps checking her dashboard on the college program site for her status and any communications. Good luck!

Thank you for your quick response..I so much love waiting..

Jack
Old 01-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #1072
blackjackdelta

This morning she told me there many rejection notices being sent out. Any news on that. I just told her to remember that she has not received one, so be positive...which she usually is.

Jack
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #1073
mickeyway
Mouseketeer

My Daughter did the application and then something on the web and it came back saying she was a strong canidate for the program. The noticed said to watch her email for an interview set up. I am assuming this is all good news, But is that pretty much how it goes? Does most everyone get through the first few steps? She is very excited and reallly wants to be a photo pass photographer.
Wilderness Lodge 10,08,06,04
mickeyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #1074
recmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyway View Post
My Daughter did the application and then something on the web and it came back saying she was a strong canidate for the program. The noticed said to watch her email for an interview set up. I am assuming this is all good news, But is that pretty much how it goes? Does most everyone get through the first few steps? She is very excited and reallly wants to be a photo pass photographer.
I'm not sure if everyone even gets to the phone interview part... I think some are rejected before that. My daughter's happened very quickly... she found out she was accepted about 2 weeks after her phone interview. There were other kids that took a few months... and other kids that did the phone interview and were pending and then never accepted.

Also - she got accepted for Quick Service Food and Beverage. It wasn't what she requested but she said they kept asking her about her job experience at Carvel!

One of her current roommates ended up as a Photopass Photographer - she didn't want that either but they saw that she worked part time in a photo studio!

They are all just happy that they were accepted... but they are all working hard!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #1075
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Giddy beyond belief!!

My son just got his acceptance for Fall Advantage 2012

He'll be working QSFB!! He's hoping to get assigned to Hollywood Studios. He selected his move in date and is looking for a roommate.

I am so excited for him and so proud of him. He applied last semester and did not get accpeted. He was disappointed. I told him to try again. So glad he did!!

Now to the planning - fly or drive, when to arrive, what to bring
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #1076
blackjackdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by APB513 View Post

He'll be working QSFB!! He's hoping to get assigned to Hollywood Studios. He selected his move in date and is looking for a roommate.

I am so excited for him and so proud of him. He applied last semester and did not get accpeted. He was disappointed. I told him to try again. So glad he did!!

Congrats to your son, still waiting on DD's announcement, she is wanting the DLR, looks like most that are coming out are for the World.

Jack
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1077
recmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APB513 View Post

Ahhhhhh yes... now comes the fun part. We flew down but my daughter has 2 roommates that have cars there. (She went down not having roommates and got matched up there) If you can manage to have him have a car there... it's probably better... it just couldn't work out in our case. But my daughter is doing quite fine getting around to work between the busses provided, her roommates having cars, and making friends that happen to have cars there. If you fly - I shipped 3 boxes of her stuff to the resort we were staying at... it was less I had to purchase that first day. As a matter of fact... alll we had to do was pretty much shop for food and some other incidentals for the apartment.

Search through this board and there are several lists that some posters put up that are great! The information on the Disney site isn't that... informational to be honest!

Feel free to private message me if you'd like. My daughter is working QSFB in Hollywood Studios!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1078
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran

My daughter was accepted last week into the college program for fall!!!!! I am so excited for her but have a ton of questions. I have read through some of this thread and thank you all so much for the information, it has definitely helped. One question I haven't seen yet is, she checks in on Aug. 8th, we live in California and are all flying out there. How much time will she have to spend with us once she checks in on the morning of the 8th? The only reason I am wondering is I am trying to plan dining and I am not sure if she will even have time to eat with us in the evenings. We will be there until the 12th so will she even have time to see us the first 4 days of the program? I just don't want to exclude her but I also understand that she probably won't have time to see us either.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #1079
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3poohlovers View Post
My daughter was accepted last week into the college program for fall!!!!! I am so excited for her but have a ton of questions. I have read through some of this thread and thank you all so much for the information, it has definitely helped. One question I haven't seen yet is, she checks in on Aug. 8th, we live in California and are all flying out there. How much time will she have to spend with us once she checks in on the morning of the 8th? The only reason I am wondering is I am trying to plan dining and I am not sure if she will even have time to eat with us in the evenings. We will be there until the 12th so will she even have time to see us the first 4 days of the program? I just don't want to exclude her but I also understand that she probably won't have time to see us either.
Congrats!!! Our daughter is at Disney now. She officially checked in on Monday Jan. 9th. We arrived on Friday so that we could spend time together on Sat. and Sunday. I would have gone down days before that, but her two brothers had school. Anyway..she checked in on that Monday and was supposed to have OFF that next day. She and a few others ended up having to go back to Casting for a redo on their fingerprints. Her pinky didn't come through right. Anyway...after that she had things going on. They have traditions and training starts up right away. If it were me, I would go down several days before she actually checks in. We spent that Monday helping her move into her apt. Then she and her roommates had a mandatory apt. meeting that lasted almost 2 hours later that day. So plan on doing things together prior to her checking in. We returned to Disney about 10 days later. We are DVC members and we stayed 8 nights. She was able to stay with us all 8 nights even though she was working through some of it. She has two days off a week now. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #1080
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Congrats!!! Our daughter is at Disney now. She officially checked in on Monday Jan. 9th. We arrived on Friday so that we could spend time together on Sat. and Sunday. I would have gone down days before that, but her two brothers had school. Anyway..she checked in on that Monday and was supposed to have OFF that next day. She and a few others ended up having to go back to Casting for a redo on their fingerprints. Her pinky didn't come through right. Anyway...after that she had things going on. They have traditions and training starts up right away. If it were me, I would go down several days before she actually checks in. We spent that Monday helping her move into her apt. Then she and her roommates had a mandatory apt. meeting that lasted almost 2 hours later that day. So plan on doing things together prior to her checking in. We returned to Disney about 10 days later. We are DVC members and we stayed 8 nights. She was able to stay with us all 8 nights even though she was working through some of it. She has two days off a week now. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Thanks! We are also DVC members. Unfortunately, we already made our plane reservations and so we aren't arriving until the day before she checks in. So, once your DD checked-in, were you able to see her for dinner? We are renting a car so we will be helping her get settled. She won't have a car with her though. Her boyfriend also just applied but hasn't been accepted though so I have no clue what to do about dinner reservations. Fortunately, we are staying in a DVC villa so we don't have to worry about doing a package and adding them. If they spend the night with us, great, but if not that's ok, their names will still be on our room reservation. Because we live in CA, we won't be back until Thanksgiving to see her. Hopefully it all works out.

How does your DD like it?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: