Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #1021
recmouse
Mouseketeer

How many days to set up CP daughter?

http://<a href="http://distickers.co...rder="0"/></a>My daughter got accepted for January - August 2012. I'd rather book our flights sooner than later. Any experienced parents or CP'ers out there know how long I should plan on staying to help set her up, etc?

Last edited by recmouse; 10-31-2011 at 05:53 AM.
recmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #1022
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

On move-in day, this past August, the bulk of the time I spent was waiting while she checked in. Once I got her stuff inside the door of her apartment, I looked around, met the roomies and was done! She set herself up. So I was there a total of 9am to around 11:30 or so.
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #1023
recmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISshopkeeper View Post
On move-in day, this past August, the bulk of the time I spent was waiting while she checked in. Once I got her stuff inside the door of her apartment, I looked around, met the roomies and was done! She set herself up. So I was there a total of 9am to around 11:30 or so.
I'm surprised because I know when we set her up in her dorm we had to run out and pick up those last few things for her room, etc. Did you get to see her after that at all? We're coming from NY so not sure how long I should stay... of course... I'd love to stretch it out!

If you don't mind me asking... Do they need a lot of clothes, bedding etc? Anything in particular your child was glad she had with her? I feel like I'm starting all over here... sorry! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #1024
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by recmouse View Post
I'm surprised because I know when we set her up in her dorm we had to run out and pick up those last few things for her room, etc. Did you get to see her after that at all? We're coming from NY so not sure how long I should stay... of course... I'd love to stretch it out!

If you don't mind me asking... Do they need a lot of clothes, bedding etc? Anything in particular your child was glad she had with her? I feel like I'm starting all over here... sorry! Thanks!

Our daughter is checking in on Jan. 9th and will be there until June 1st. We minus hubby) are flying down on the 6th after our sons get out of school. My husband is driving her car down on Friday. We are planning "family" time on Sat. and Sunday in the parks. Then on check in day we plan to help her move in. The boys and I are flying home late afternoon on Tuesday the 10th and my husband is flying back on Wed. late afternoon so he can spend that evening with her. We have heard that the day after check in is a FREE day so if they need to go out and buy stuff they have that day too. That is why my husband is staying one extra day. The boys don't need to miss more than 2 days of school so we are going back a day before him.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #1025
recmouse
Mouseketeer

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #1026
DISshopkeeper

Quote:

We did forget her "comforter" which is actually a t-shirt blanket I made her. They do need twin sheets as well.

We spent some time together beforehand, arrived Saturday for a Monday drop off. I left her there and then I did see her later that day when we went to Target for a few things. I really wanted her to bond with those roomies, rather than spend time with me. I left early Tuesday morning, without seeing her again. Seems to have worked out, she's having a blast!!

I played the odds before we went and actually bought her black sneakers, white sneakers and hiking boots in her size so we wouldn't have to drive all over for shoes. the intention was to return the un-needed ones. this completely backfired on me as 1) she never found out what shoes she would need until after I left, and 2) She needed black flat dress shoes!

I didn't worry about what she didn't have, because it's not difficult for them to get to Walmart.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #1027
psherman42
Mouseketeer

wrong thread.

Disney College Program
Fall 2011: Quick Service Food & Beverage (ABC Commissary)
Spring Advantage 2013: Merchandise (World of Disney)
Fall 2013: Professional Intern
My DCP blog: http://dreamitdoitdisney.tumblr.com/
psherman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #1028
KCMiller
Has decided she does not need anonymous approval, even if it does come from a fairy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Our daughter is checking in on Jan. 9th and will be there until June 1st. We minus hubby) are flying down on the 6th after our sons get out of school. My husband is driving her car down on Friday. We are planning "family" time on Sat. and Sunday in the parks. Then on check in day we plan to help her move in. The boys and I are flying home late afternoon on Tuesday the 10th and my husband is flying back on Wed. late afternoon so he can spend that evening with her. We have heard that the day after check in is a FREE day so if they need to go out and buy stuff they have that day too. That is why my husband is staying one extra day. The boys don't need to miss more than 2 days of school so we are going back a day before him.
Don't count on it being a totally free day - some have it off, some don't - they have a lot of things scheduled those first days, and depending on what their role is, they may move directly into training, or have their Traditions class. But even if they have the Traditions class or training, they'll still have time to spend with family, and it's a great time - the only downside is that your child can't get you into the parks for a few weeks after they check in (but there's plenty to do without heading into the parks, of course).

Also, and this is for everyone, if you're going down to help them move in, after you drop them off at the check in, go DIRECTLY to Walmart to buy anything they need. It becomes a MADHOUSE later that day, and they run out of things (although they do know when the move in dates are, and stock accordingly). We didn't head to the Walmart that the bus takes them to, we went to the one down 535 (there is also a small outlet mall down that way with an Easy Spirit shoe outlet store, where we picked up her work shoes - she needed black 'dress' shoes, and would be on her feet all day at the Haunted Mansion, so we wanted really supportive shoes, better than you'd find at Walmart). The Walmart was still pretty crowded, but nothing like the other one (and I'm not sure where that one is, but it's by a Publix, and it's where the shuttle bus takes the kids to go shopping). And if you wait until after they go through the entire check in process, which takes hours, the crowds will have formed. My advice? If you can, shop the night before, or shop while they are checking in.

KC

My DD was a Maid at Haunted Mansion , and then she was a Merchantainer at AK ! Hooray for the College Program!

My DS was a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, and then a lifeguard at Caribbean Beach! Hooray for the College Program!
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #1029
recmouse
Mouseketeer

I keep seeing the shoes brought up. But it looks like there are different times kids find out what kind of shoes they need. What are people running to Walmart for? Food? Hangars? I'm guessing we will try to bring most of what she needs with us. Does anyone know - will the sheets she used for her dorm beds (extra long) fit the beds at the apartments? Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #1030
DISshopkeeper

Quote:
I keep seeing the shoes brought up. But it looks like there are different times kids find out what kind of shoes they need. What are people running to Walmart for? Food? Hangars? I'm guessing we will try to bring most of what she needs with us. Does anyone know - will the sheets she used for her dorm beds (extra long) fit the beds at the apartments? Any help is appreciated!
No, the beds are regular twin.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #1031
racefans44
Mouseketeer

Discount Question

My son was accepted into the CP program and he will check-in Jan. 30. I am planning on going down for spring break and staying on Disney property. The free dining offer is in effect during that time and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to book with the free dining or wait until ds checks in and get the discount. Does anyone have any insight?
Thanks!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #1032
DISshopkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefans44 View Post
My son was accepted into the CP program and he will check-in Jan. 30. I am planning on going down for spring break and staying on Disney property. The free dining offer is in effect during that time and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to book with the free dining or wait until ds checks in and get the discount. Does anyone have any insight?
Thanks!
Congrats! what's his role? I don't think his discounts kick in immediately.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #1033
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Thanks!
He won't start getting discounts until he gets his ID, which isn't until Day 3 (just a heads up).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #1034
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What are people running to Walmart for? Food? Hangars?
Cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, broom, mop, sprays, plunger... we split the cost for all those items equally between the roommates.

Quote:
Thanks!
You will be required to also purchase a minimum number of tickets to be eligible, so keep that extra cost in mind as well. If you have no need for those extra tickets, the cost is probably a wash and it would be cheaper to just get a room at the discount and pay for the dining plan.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #1035
racefans44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISshopkeeper View Post
Congrats! what's his role? I don't think his discounts kick in immediately.
He will be in Attractions, his first choice.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: