Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #76
wdwfam
Mouseketeer
 
wdwfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 405

DD is also doing really well. She too has 3 roommates, one of which isn't clicking as well either. But the other three girls are having a blast! We talk every day, so I'm dealing better than I thought I would. But that is because she is having so much fun. The great thing about it was that she met SO many kids on Facebook before even going down there. A lot of the kids come up to her and ask, "Are you ......"? I better not write her name, since so many people know her. But she is working at MK.
wdwfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #77
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfam View Post
DD is also doing really well. She too has 3 roommates, one of which isn't clicking as well either. But the other three girls are having a blast! We talk every day, so I'm dealing better than I thought I would. But that is because she is having so much fun. The great thing about it was that she met SO many kids on Facebook before even going down there. A lot of the kids come up to her and ask, "Are you ......"? I better not write her name, since so many people know her. But she is working at MK.
The same thing happened to me! I met so many people from Facebook (most from the Fall 2008 CP board)...it was great!
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #78
mum's the word!
Greetings from 'sunny' London UK.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2

Facebook and college folks @ WD Fl.

How do folks get in touch via Facebook ( as your semester references etc would not easily transpose for us Brits.) I would like to recommend to my Daughter that she has a nosey on f/b to broaden her horizons with regard to meeting folks other than those in her immediate vacinity in the appt. or at work. Many thanks in advance.
mum's the word! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #79
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum's the word! View Post
How do folks get in touch via Facebook ( as your semester references etc would not easily transpose for us Brits.) I would like to recommend to my Daughter that she has a nosey on f/b to broaden her horizons with regard to meeting folks other than those in her immediate vacinity in the appt. or at work. Many thanks in advance.
It's easy to keep in touch via Facebook, because you can send messages and stuff on it. I love Facebook.
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #80
crazylena
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18

Smile new career start parent

Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this. My daughter just started the career start program last week. We drove down together from Minnesota and after getting her settled I flew home (crying all the way).
I was very impressed by everything I saw during the short time I was there. I felt the complex she'll be living in seemed very safe with the 24 hour security guards.
I have been peeking in on these discussions for the last few months and someone suggested family members stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort and I ended up staying there while my daughter got all checked in. I highly recommend this hotel. It's literally right across the road from the Vista Way complex and the Chatham is basically behind it. The staff was great too. While I was trying to check out of the hotel I was crying the whole time and they seemed so understanding and said I was definatly not the 1st parent they've seen crying when it was time to leave.

I talked to my daughter last night and she said she's been assigned to 3 seperate locations in Epcot with 3 seperate costumes. I was surprised by that. I thought she'd only be in one spot. But she was ok with it. I could tell she was tired and still a little overwhelmed but seems to be adjusting well.
She thought the traditions class was a lot of fun and is especially excited now that she can go to any of the parks for free.
She ended up with 5 other roommates. I met 3 of them and they seemed very sweet.
To all of you parents who have kids in the program I look forward to hearing more about theirs and your experience with the program.

God Bless, crazylena
crazylena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #81
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylena View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this. My daughter just started the career start program last week. We drove down together from Minnesota and after getting her settled I flew home (crying all the way).
I was very impressed by everything I saw during the short time I was there. I felt the complex she'll be living in seemed very safe with the 24 hour security guards.
I have been peeking in on these discussions for the last few months and someone suggested family members stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort and I ended up staying there while my daughter got all checked in. I highly recommend this hotel. It's literally right across the road from the Vista Way complex and the Chatham is basically behind it. The staff was great too. While I was trying to check out of the hotel I was crying the whole time and they seemed so understanding and said I was definatly not the 1st parent they've seen crying when it was time to leave.

I talked to my daughter last night and she said she's been assigned to 3 seperate locations in Epcot with 3 seperate costumes. I was surprised by that. I thought she'd only be in one spot. But she was ok with it. I could tell she was tired and still a little overwhelmed but seems to be adjusting well.
She thought the traditions class was a lot of fun and is especially excited now that she can go to any of the parks for free.
She ended up with 5 other roommates. I met 3 of them and they seemed very sweet.
To all of you parents who have kids in the program I look forward to hearing more about theirs and your experience with the program.

God Bless, crazylena
Welcome!!

Glad to hear your daughter is doing well. Where is she working at Epcot?
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #82
crazylena
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18

Smile

Hi Joanna, thank you for the nice welcome. I hope you won't be offended but because I'm an overprotective mama I'm not comfortable saying exactly where she's working. I'm not very computer literate.
I just talked with her last night and she said yesterday was the 1st day she really had a lot of fun at work. It was her first day not in training and I think she was glad to be doing more. Today she has the day off and she said she wants to go over to Epcot and just explore the park. She said a lot of people ask questions and because she had never been to Epcot before she wants to get more familiar with the park.
I wish I was there! I've never been to Epcot myself but I went on the Sorren (bad spelling,sorry) ride at DL and it will definatly go down as my all time favorite ride! When we go to visit my daughter in November we will definatly be going to Epcot!
crazylena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #83
onelostsockie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida!
Posts: 139

Sharing experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtoaster2 View Post
Wow! I bet that is pretty crazy to see half of the apartment leave. Not sure if you will even know the answer, but did they leave on their own choice (homesick, injured themselves, didn't enjoy the experience, etc.) or were they actually termed by Disney?

It isn't that crazy to see that many people leave. You seem curious why people leave the program, so I thought I would share here!
I went through a lot roommates in my 3 bedroom apartment in Vista. Luckily, I was never moved. My immediate roommate and I filled out a "please don't move us" form when we got to 50% occupancy.
My roommates reasons for leaving: #1 got injured in apartment kitchen and was wheelchair bound. Her job would not accommodate her since it wasn't a work-related injury. #2 had breast cancer and needed testing #3 Left with the roomie who had breast cancer. #4 Left because she was trained to be a chef and got stuck cutting fruit on all her shifts. #5 Got fired for blowing up and drunkenly attacking me (I'm was ok). #6 Was raped by coworker/had emotional problems. & #7 I got my certificate of completition and left 2 weeks early.

The 1 out of the original 8 that lasted the whole time pretty much stayed in her room the whole time (her other bed remained empty and good bit of the time too!). The cool thing was, every time there was a new roommate expected, they would clean the entire apartment! Not once did I scrub a shower, toilet, or vacuum my carpet!
I had a good friend who had a similar experience with so many roomies leaving, except his were all termed due to job-related things (missing too many days, cursing, etc.)

Even with all the bad stuff, I don't think there was one person who didn't have fun on the program! There are always going to be "questionable" people (I think I just proved that). It's the real world. Just because people are in WDW, doesn't mean they are sheltered from the bad stuff. Some people seem to think that way, but my mother and I had realistic expectations. She knew there would be lots of "temptations" as she referred to it. She called me EVERYDAY (how annoying for me--the "ignore" button on my phone became my best friend).

There are going to be sucky days on the program. I called my parents on the phone at like 3am on several occasions. I found myself pretty well adjusted, but it is totally normal for CPs to get upset, especially when first starting out. I saw it happen a lot!

One thing I appreciated that my mom always told me it was OK if I wanted to come home. Nobody was forcing me to be there. That put things in perspective and made it totally my choice to stay, no matter how bad things got (I was sooo tempted to come home when I was out for sick 8 days after 1 day of training). Some CPs I talked to seemed more forced to be there...like it was a waste or failure if they didn't finish.

The CP is supposed to be all about experience and learning. I say advise your DD or DS to have FUN first, all that other stuff the program promises will come in time.
onelostsockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #84
deadtoaster2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelostsockie View Post
My roommates reasons for leaving: #1 got injured in apartment kitchen and was wheelchair bound. Her job would not accommodate her since it wasn't a work-related injury. #2 had breast cancer and needed testing #3 Left with the roomie who had breast cancer. #4 Left because she was trained to be a chef and got stuck cutting fruit on all her shifts. #5 Got fired for blowing up and drunkenly attacking me (I'm was ok). #6 Was raped by coworker/had emotional problems. & #7 I got my certificate of completition and left 2 weeks early.
In of themselves, most of them sound like pretty typical reasons for leaving (except #6... that is just terrible! But I guess it could happen anywhere). However when you consider that all of them occurred in such a short period of time AND the fact that they all happened to people living in the same apartment it starts to seem less like coincidence and more like something else came into play (for lack of a better word). Also if you don't mind me asking, how did #1 injure herself that badly in the kitchen? I mean, again, sure its possible for all of these things to have occurred, but when they all happen in the same place and at relatively the same time.... I don't know, It just seems a little off to me.
__________________
I've been BOOed by Seewhatimesdone!
deadtoaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #85
onelostsockie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida!
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtoaster2 View Post
In of themselves, most of them sound like pretty typical reasons for leaving (except #6... that is just terrible! But I guess it could happen anywhere). However when you consider that all of them occurred in such a short period of time AND the fact that they all happened to people living in the same apartment it starts to seem less like coincidence and more like something else came into play (for lack of a better word). Also if you don't mind me asking, how did #1 injure herself that badly in the kitchen? I mean, again, sure its possible for all of these things to have occurred, but when they all happen in the same place and at relatively the same time.... I don't know, It just seems a little off to me.
It was a short period of time. I didn't do advantage, just plain ol' fall! Supposedly a lot of people get fired for underage drinking, but I personally never knew anybody that happened to. Most of the people outside my apartment I knew got fired for getting too many points (calling out too much).

I'm not sure what else came into play. Except that they were living in the same apartment as me. I didn't do anything to them! I swear! I tried to be friends with the rotating roomies.

#1 was my immediate roommate and best friend, she's somewhere around these boards too. I hope she doesn't mind me telling this story! She fell in the tiny kitchen in Vista and hurt her knee somehow. I wasn't there when it happened, but an ambulance came and checked her out. She didn't have to go to the ER. The next day she was in extreme pain and I drove her to that urgent care place near Vista. The doctor at the urgent care gave her the wrong kind of knee/leg brace, and the specialist she went to was a quack. Disney gave her a date to come back to work and she was unable to recover in time. She is eligible for rehire and applied to do the program again spring 09. Hope she gets in!

...The weird thing about the whole thing is we were already assigned to a handicap accessible apartment. We had a walk in shower with a chair, bars by our toilet, and wood floors. Those came in handy!

To be on topic with the parents thing... It is good for CPs to have some kind of insurance while there! Accidents do happen! I am covered under my parents, but hate doctors and hardly ever go. I got the flu when I first got there and was out of work for 8 days. I'm not sure they would have been as cool about letting me back to work if I hadn't had that paperwork from the urgent care center.
onelostsockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #86
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylena View Post
Hi Joanna, thank you for the nice welcome. I hope you won't be offended but because I'm an overprotective mama I'm not comfortable saying exactly where she's working. I'm not very computer literate.
Of course not!
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #87
tnmom25
I don't say anything funny, I just laugh at everyone else!
 
tnmom25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,773

I have just started looking into this program. My dd is a hs Sr. this year and we're exploring our options for the future. I'm still reading on page one, so I have some catchup up to do, but just wanted to subscribe so I could find this thread later
__________________



2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 Offsite ~ March 2010 Princess Half Marathon ASMu ~ Sept.2010 POR ~ Sept.2013 FW Cabin for Villains Party



tnmom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #88
tlynk
DIS Veteran
 
tlynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,181

Question Parents whose DS/DD have finished CP???????

Hello-my DD is interviewing this evening for the Disney College Program and I have many questions (apologies in advance ):

1) If DD gets accepted for the Spring 2009 CP does anyone know the exact date in January that she would start?

2) Do you know if she would be able to take online courses from the college she is currently attending now? I know she will be super busy, but I'd like to keep her moving towards her degree by at least taking 1-2 online courses.

3) There is no way she can bring her car from the West Coast to Florida? I'm nervous about when she will need to buy groceries, or go to a store such as Walmart- does a bus stop directly in front of the stores and then return to pick up?

4) How safe did your DS/DD feel and did you feel pretty good about safety as a parent?

5) Did Disney ever schedule an occasional beach trip or other trips to give the students a break?

6) Last question for now- If DD is accepted- is there a roommate questionnaire that she would fill out? Does Disney try to place students who are compatible together?? For example it might be hard to share with someone who is messy or visa versa, or with someone who wants to party all night or visa versa??

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate any feed back you can give this nervous mother.
__________________



DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC (x2), WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston): Disney Fantasy 10/15 (Eastern Caribbean). DVC Owner - OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #89
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynk View Post
Hello-my DD is interviewing this evening for the Disney College Program and I have many questions (apologies in advance ):

1) If DD gets accepted for the Spring 2009 CP does anyone know the exact date in January that she would start?

2) Do you know if she would be able to take online courses from the college she is currently attending now? I know she will be super busy, but I'd like to keep her moving towards her degree by at least taking 1-2 online courses.

3) There is no way she can bring her car from the West Coast to Florida? I'm nervous about when she will need to buy groceries, or go to a store such as Walmart- does a bus stop directly in front of the stores and then return to pick up?

4) How safe did your DS/DD feel and did you feel pretty good about safety as a parent?

5) Did Disney ever schedule an occasional beach trip or other trips to give the students a break?

6) Last question for now- If DD is accepted- is there a roommate questionnaire that she would fill out? Does Disney try to place students who are compatible together?? For example it might be hard to share with someone who is messy or visa versa, or with someone who wants to party all night or visa versa??

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate any feed back you can give this nervous mother.
1. The dates vary. Spring dates start around early-mid Jan, and Spring Advantage dates start later in Jan up to early Feb. When I did Spring 2005, my check-in date was Jan 12.

2. I think it could be possible. She would need to discuss it with her school, as every school does credits and stuff differently.

3. The CP buses go to Walmart. And there is a Walgreens next to Vista, if she needed to get something quickly.

4. I have felt pretty safe on all of my CPs. Security does a good job there.

5. Yes. Housing does different stuff. They have done beach trips in the past.

6. There is a roomie notification system. You can be paired up with 1 roomie. I have never done it (I always got my roomie randomly, at check-in). But it's pretty good.
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #90
tlynk
DIS Veteran
 
tlynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,181

Thumbs up

Thanks Joanna71985 for the quick reply!!! I feel a little better now. The next step is to wait to see if she gets into the program. I think she is hoping for the Jan-May session. Again- thank you!
__________________



DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC (x2), WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston): Disney Fantasy 10/15 (Eastern Caribbean). DVC Owner - OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: