Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #721
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
She says asking for time off has to be done months in advance. I can't believe this is so, since she wouldn't be getting paid for it. It would be basically her regular two days off plus three or four days.

What's the procedure for asking for time off? She seems to think that decisions are made in a very arbitrary way; I think that even if her immediate managers are sticklers for procedure, there must be someone at a high management position who she could appeal to.

Any suggestions?
She does have to put in for it on the Hub. It's not as arbitrary as it seems. There are usually a limited number of vacation "slots" open for each day and location and once those are taken, the time off is denied (which is why putting in as soon as you know is best). Also, if it is expected to be a busy time, there may not be any availability for vacation. If it comes back denied, as the PP said, it's her responsibility to find someone to take the shifts from her, but she won't know what those are until a week or so out, so she needs to be finding seasonal people or part timers who can use the extra hours and would be willing to help her out. Last resort, she can ask her managers for ADOs (approved days off), but some areas, by rule, don't grant them.
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #722
mickmom728
Mouseketeer

So if they want to ask for days off should they do it under "vacation days" or "personal days"? My DS just put in for some days in Oct. and Dec. when he will have visitors and he wasn't sure if they were actually vacation days?
mickmom728 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #723
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmom728 View Post
So if they want to ask for days off should they do it under "vacation days" or "personal days"? My DS just put in for some days in Oct. and Dec. when he will have visitors and he wasn't sure if they were actually vacation days?
It doesn't really matter which one (as CPs don't get vacation or personal days), so either should be fine. When I put in for days off on the CP, I put down days off without pay
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #724
Blueline
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
It doesn't really matter which one (as CPs don't get vacation or personal days), so either should be fine. When I put in for days off on the CP, I put down days off without pay
yup they dont pay you to take off lol.

This is what I look like when waiting for the acceptance letter.
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #725
1955girl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchlady View Post
My daughter is planning on applying for 2011 spring. She would like to know more about the costuming role. Does anyone have any info on this role? Any words of advice would be great! Thanks
DD worked as a CP in costuming and is now there as a full time coordinator! She worked at MK during her CP, but is now at the Studios. The previous poster is correct, there is a lot of heavy lifting, running around, getting in harnesses and going up on floats.... that's if you work parades. The hours can be crazy and you are outside a lot! But you get a view of WDW that most people NEVER see! And yes, you do have to do laundry. Costumers are a dedicated bunch of VERY hard workers that often don't get much recognition for all the work they do, but they are a crucial part of making the magic!
PM if you want more info!

Kim

John 14:6
1955girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #726
kt-scarlett
Migraines are stupid, throw rocks at them.

Disney Vacation Club Cast Member Discounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post
He's actually referring to the Cast Member discount on Disney Vacation Club memberships, which as a courtesy is extended to the parents of Disney Internship Programs Participants.

It's actually a pretty nice discount - currently 20% off as of the time of this post. And you can continue to receive discounted hotel rooms even if your child does not remain with The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies after their program ends.
Hi! My DD is a CPer and I had hoped to buy a small add-on to my DVC contract while she is there this fall. However, according to my guide, the CM discount (15%) can only be used towards purchases in 'new' properties such as Bay Lake Tower, Grand Californian, Aulani (sp?), and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I want to add on at Wilderness Lodge so no CM discount for me! Oh well.

Just thought I would give a heads up on this six month old topic. Have a great day.

HOTEL ROYAL PLAZA '86 CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT '92 DIXIE LANDINGS '97 WILDERNESS LODGE '97 OLD KEY WEST ‘98 SWOLPHIN '98,'00, ’01, ’03, ’04, ‘05 VILLAS AT WILDERNESS LODGE '01, ‘08, '11, '14 BEACH CLUB '02, '10 BOARDWALK INN ‘02 BEACH CLUB VILLAS '03 BOARDWALK VILLAS '99, ’00, ’02, ’03, ’04, ’05, ’06, ’07, '08, ‘10, '11, '12, '13, '14 POP '10, '12, POFQ '11 POR '11, '12 DCL WONDER TO ALASKA '13 VILLAS AT GRAND CALIFORNIAN '13 ANIMAL KINGDOM VILLAS '14
kt-scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #727
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

I am sorry, I am sure this information is someone but I was hoping someone could answer my question here. My DD wants to go this program in a couple of years (after her first year of college is complete), and I was wondering:

1. Do they earn enough money to pay their expenses there, or is there a "cost" to parents for them to be in it?

2. Do they actually earn some college credits while there? Or is it a complete semester (or two ) off from college?

Thanks!
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #728
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
I am sorry, I am sure this information is someone but I was hoping someone could answer my question here. My DD wants to go this program in a couple of years (after her first year of college is complete), and I was wondering:

1. Do they earn enough money to pay their expenses there, or is there a "cost" to parents for them to be in it?

2. Do they actually earn some college credits while there? Or is it a complete semester (or two ) off from college?

Thanks!
1 - Depends on the person. I made enough to self sustain, but I did not really go out, do a lot of social events, and I always purchased cheap groceries.

2 - Depends on the college. I did not. But there is an option to earn credits if the institution supports the program and your DD starts talking to her adviser now to set up those requirements. Some will take on-line classes, others earn internship credit, those are just a couple of options.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #729
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
1 - Depends on the person. I made enough to self sustain, but I did not really go out, do a lot of social events, and I always purchased cheap groceries.

2 - Depends on the college. I did not. But there is an option to earn credits if the institution supports the program and your DD starts talking to her adviser now to set up those requirements. Some will take on-line classes, others earn internship credit, those are just a couple of options.
Thanks that helps a lot.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #730
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:

1. Do they earn enough money to pay their expenses there, or is there a "cost" to parents...

Thanks!
DD is in the program right now and she nets between $150 - 200 per week after her Vista Way rent is taken out. She is in Entertainment and does receive some overtime on a weekly basis. Her car is still at home as she graduated from college in June and had to check-in two days later...so, she doesn't have to pay for gas and we did cover the registration costs for her when they came due. Other than that, we haven't had to send any money to her; she paid for her textbook for her HR class.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #731
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
DD is in the program right now and she nets between $150 - 200 per week after her Vista Way rent is taken out. She is in Entertainment and does receive some overtime on a weekly basis. Her car is still at home as she graduated from college in June and had to check-in two days later...so, she doesn't have to pay for gas and we did cover the registration costs for her when they came due. Other than that, we haven't had to send any money to her; she paid for her textbook for her HR class.
Wait! So is this something they can do AFTER they complete college? I thought it was done during college but before graduation. That would be nice.

So if your daughter working on Graduate level courses there? Or more undergraduate classes?

And thanks, it is nice to know that for 1. they don't have to have a car and 2. they can actually do this without costing us more money.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #732
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Wait! So is this something they can do AFTER they complete college? I thought it was done during college but before graduation. That would be nice.

So if your daughter working on Graduate level courses there? Or more undergraduate classes?

And thanks, it is nice to know that for 1. they don't have to have a car and 2. they can actually do this without costing us more money.
As long as you apply when you are still in school, you can do the CP after you graduate. That's what I did for my last CP
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #733
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:

The courses aren't considered graduate level and she won't be using them for an post-grad degree. She wanted to take classes because they were available and will help her decide what she wants to do after her CP.

We have offered to ship her car to her but she has continually told us she does not need it for her CP. If she were to get accepted for a Professional Internship then we'll have to get her car to her. The CP interns have the best arrangements: housing, shuttles and extra activities.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #734
beautygirlsmom
Mouseketeer

My daughter is also ending up with anywhere from $150 - $200 weekly after her rent is taken out. We send her $100 a month for gas for her car (she drives a little car), so her only real expenses are entertainment. She spends most of her time in the parks, which doesn't cost anything, and she might buy a bit of lunch or something, but she's managed to sock away more than $3000 since she started in May.

She is a UCF student, and she is taking online courses while she's at Disney, so she's gotten full credit for everything she's taken so far (two summer classes).
beautygirlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #735
DZMike
Desert Storm, OIF, and WDW Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautygirlsmom View Post
My daughter is also ending up with anywhere from $150 - $200 weekly after her rent is taken out. We send her $100 a month for gas for her car (she drives a little car), so her only real expenses are entertainment. She spends most of her time in the parks, which doesn't cost anything, and she might buy a bit of lunch or something, but she's managed to sock away more than $3000 since she started in May.
WOW! She is doing great. My two DS were accepted for Spring Advantage. One is 21 and theother 18 so they probably won't be living together. Based on your post, I take it your daughter does not eat. That appears to be the biggest expense for a CP.
Mike
DZMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: