Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #691
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins86 View Post
All the apartment stuff is handled when you check into the program not during the application process.
If you have your heart set out on Patterson, my suggestion would be to arrive at check in early.
Thanks for the info! Good to know.

I have more questions. On move-in day, do they have shuttles that take the student and their luggage to, let's say, Patterson, from Vista Way check in? I'm just wondering if any parents out there, or students moving in by themselves, have attempted to move in without a rental car or their own car. I know the Disney park/resort transpo buses do not allow luggage on them, so wasn't sure if they have shuttles that will allow luggage? Or is a taxi best? I'm not sure of the layout and how close one complex is to another when lugging belongings, so just trying to get a general idea.

DD is unsure about applying, but being a planner, I like to know things ahead of time.

tink
tinkerbellmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #692
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellmagic View Post
Thanks for the info! Good to know.

I have more questions. On move-in day, do they have shuttles that take the student and their luggage to, let's say, Patterson, from Vista Way check in? I'm just wondering if any parents out there, or students moving in by themselves, have attempted to move in without a rental car or their own car. I know the Disney park/resort transpo buses do not allow luggage on them, so wasn't sure if they have shuttles that will allow luggage? Or is a taxi best? I'm not sure of the layout and how close one complex is to another when lugging belongings, so just trying to get a general idea.

DD is unsure about applying, but being a planner, I like to know things ahead of time.

tink
When my DD checked in, I had to leave earlier than originally planned. I dropped her off at Vista Way and the bus took all the room mates to Chatham to their apartment. If you are coming the day of check in from the airport, there is a Disney arranged discounted shuttle service. One of my DD's room mates came in that way. The CPs drop off their luggage in a holding area and then go check in, parents go to the family tent and when they finish their check in, they pick up their luggage and either take the bus or if you have a car drive to your apartment.

We're from California, it was the first time my DD was that far away from home for an extended period. We were VERY impressed with the check in and security Disney has in place in all the apartment complexes.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #693
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
When my DD checked in, I had to leave earlier than originally planned. I dropped her off at Vista Way and the bus took all the room mates to Chatham to their apartment. If you are coming the day of check in from the airport, there is a Disney arranged discounted shuttle service. One of my DD's room mates came in that way. The CPs drop off their luggage in a holding area and then go check in, parents go to the family tent and when they finish their check in, they pick up their luggage and either take the bus or if you have a car drive to your apartment.

We're from California, it was the first time my DD was that far away from home for an extended period. We were VERY impressed with the check in and security Disney has in place in all the apartment complexes.
Thank you for the reply. So it sounds like they do have a shuttle/bus that takes students and their luggage from check-in at Vista to another complex, if they are staying in Chatham or Patterson.

Oh boy, that brings me to more questions. Are parents allowed to ride this shuttle/bus with the student, from Vista check-in to either Chatham or Patterson to get them settled before parents leave for good? How far of a walk is it from Vista check-in, to the farthest DCP apartment complex? Is it walkable? thnx
tinkerbellmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #694
heartofdisney
Mouseketeer

daughter wants to apply for CP....question

Hi. I have a daughter starting community college this fall. She is planning to take the first semester there,and then apply to the CP for the spring semester before she transfers over to a 4 year college.She is hoping that this extra time will help her to figure out what she would like to major in.Of course I have alot of questions and concerns. I have been reading some of the posts here and have learned alot,but there are way too many for me to spend reading each one,and so if this questions has been already answered,I apologize. I would like to know exactly what sort of areas my daughter could apply to work in. Are all areas of entertainment open for the CP? I ask because my daughter is a dancer,and that is what she is hoping to do while in the CP. She also has another opportunity as a dancer somewhere else,but prefers to try for the CP first.Before she applys however, I would like to know if Disney uses students in the CP in the parades or shows,ect? What exactly are the areas in the program offered to select from?
-POFQ - August 28-September 6,2009

My first trip report-A spoonful of sugar helps to keep my mouth shut!
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2301208

We are going back!!! And bringing a new family member with us!!! April 7- 15, 2013
heartofdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #695
illini4princess
Earning My Ears

Most of the information I've gleaned about the Entertainment CP role has been from this thread.

For Entertainment, Disney uses a color coding system that indicates a person's level and what types of roles they are able to go into. This includes students who are doing the CP. So theoretically, a CP student who has a high color for dancing and/or acting would be eligible for more performance-type roles.

More info on the color codes: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....r#post24065851
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....r#post23043085
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=847
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=838

However, from most of what I've read, CP Entertainment majorly consists of face and fur characters. Not because students are less talented necessarily, but because their employment will be such short term. Disney might not see such a point in spending weeks prepping a student for a show when they will only be in Orlando for 4 1/2-7 months.

Last edited by illini4princess; 06-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.
illini4princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #696
heartofdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini4princess View Post
Most of the information I've gleaned about the Entertainment CP role has been from this thread.

For Entertainment, Disney uses a color coding system that indicates a person's level and what types of roles they are able to go into. This includes students who are doing the CP. So theoretically, a CP student who has a high color for dancing and/or acting would be eligible for more performance-type roles.

More info on the color codes: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....r#post24065851
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....r#post23043085
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=847
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=838

However, from most of what I've read, CP Entertainment majorly consists of face and fur characters. Not because students are less talented necessarily, but because their employment will be such short term. Disney might not see such a point in spending weeks prepping a student for a show when they will only be in Orlando for 4 1/2-7 months.

Thank you so much for your much appreciated answer.. Your explanation makes sense too,about how Disney using the students in the CP who will be working in the entertainment program. I will let my dd know so that she can make a well informed decision about this now. From everything I have read so far,the program does still seem to be a special experience in and of itself and I feel better now that I understand it more.This is a very helpful forum!
-POFQ - August 28-September 6,2009

My first trip report-A spoonful of sugar helps to keep my mouth shut!
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2301208

We are going back!!! And bringing a new family member with us!!! April 7- 15, 2013
heartofdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #697
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofdisney View Post
Thank you so much for your much appreciated answer.. Your explanation makes sense too,about how Disney using the students in the CP who will be working in the entertainment program. I will let my dd know so that she can make a well informed decision about this now. From everything I have read so far,the program does still seem to be a special experience in and of itself and I feel better now that I understand it more.This is a very helpful forum!
My DD is currently a Character Performer/College Program. She has danced for 18 years with a few professional gigs and has always wanted to work for Disney. She is being trained right now and there has been no mention of dancing as a character; she is doing the Fall Advantage program. She will consider extending her placement or possibly attempting to stay on with the company - her dream would be to be a dancer on the cruiseline. In her researching, it appears that most dancers are at least 5' 4" and she isn't that tall. Your DD can always check the audition area of the website to see what is actually available for dancers beyond the College Program.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #698
mickmom728
Mouseketeer

discount questions

Do any of you know about the discounts that the CP participants get? Is it hard to find availability for rooms like during the first two weeks or so of December? Does anyone have access to when the maingate passes are blacked out? I understand it is announce three months out but do they usually black out early December? We are planning our trip and would hate to not be able to use the discounts and tickets. I am hating the fact that we would have to wait until August when he has access to the Hub to finalize our plans!
mickmom728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #699
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmom728 View Post
Do any of you know about the discounts that the CP participants get? Is it hard to find availability for rooms like during the first two weeks or so of December? Does anyone have access to when the maingate passes are blacked out? I understand it is announce three months out but do they usually black out early December? We are planning our trip and would hate to not be able to use the discounts and tickets. I am hating the fact that we would have to wait until August when he has access to the Hub to finalize our plans!
I made room reservations in advance to hold a room and then when DD was able to get on the HUB and check availability she then booked a room for us at BWI. Because she will stay with us, we are receiving a 50% discount on a club level room. She accessed the HUB in mid June to reserve the room for November. I'm not sure about blockout days but will ask her to check on that and will post if she has info.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #700
mickmom728
Mouseketeer

thanks

Thank you, Itinkso! I have a room reserved at POFQ but would love an "upgrade" if DS can swing it. You will love BWI--that was our first onsite trip back in 1999! Enjoy!
mickmom728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #701
photoluvsmom
Earning My Ears

coming home

I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on the procedure when a cast member is returning home? Do they get help sending things home, do they have transportation from their housing to the airport, what time do they need to be out by, etc. Any and all information is appreciated.
photoluvsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #702
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoluvsmom View Post
I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on the procedure when a cast member is returning home? Do they get help sending things home, do they have transportation from their housing to the airport, what time do they need to be out by, etc. Any and all information is appreciated.
They need to be out by 11, everything else is on their own.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #703
mickeys#1fan
Mouseketeer

Any parents with kids at Rosen School?

DD is a rising high school senior. She wants to major in theme park management, and Rosen is her top pick. We toured last week, and it looks great! Does CP count toward their requirement to work in a paid internship? Has it been a worthwhile experience for your kids?
January 2001 - New members at VWL
June 2001 - HHI Resort
June 2001 - 4 day Wonder
July 2001 - VWL
Sep. 2001 - BWV
Dec. 2001 - VWL
May 2002 - HHI Resort
Aug. 2002 - BCV
Sep. 2002 - OKW
May 2003 - HHI
July 2003 - VWL
May 2004 - HHI
Aug 2004 - SSR/BCV
March 2005 - OKW/VWL
July 2005 - HHI
mickeys#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #704
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeys#1fan View Post
DD is a rising high school senior. She wants to major in theme park management, and Rosen is her top pick. We toured last week, and it looks great! Does CP count toward their requirement to work in a paid internship? Has it been a worthwhile experience for your kids?
My daughter is a Senior at Rosen. The paid internships only count once you are a student but if she does a CP and then is a student at Rosen she can change her status to part time and count it as the paid internship from then out.

My daughter did junior college, then the CP for two semesters, then back here to do a couple of summer classes and then transferred to UCF Rosen. Some of the teachers she has had have been phenomenal - one was the former VP of entertainment at Disney, another a GM at Universal, lots of great experiences. Some of her field trips have included Halloween Horror Nights at Universal, a visit at the Peabody, gosh my mind is going blank. And there is a required guest lectures class that has had some really interesting speakers - one was the owner of the Mexican Cantina (and all of the other stuff she owns at Disney) before they started the renovations and she shared with the class what they were going to be doing.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. We are an out of state (tuition) family also and I can share what I know about that with you as well.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #705
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
My daughter is a Senior at Rosen. The paid internships only count once you are a student but if she does a CP and then is a student at Rosen she can change her status to part time and count it as the paid internship from then out.

My daughter did junior college, then the CP for two semesters, then back here to do a couple of summer classes and then transferred to UCF Rosen. Some of the teachers she has had have been phenomenal - one was the former VP of entertainment at Disney, another a GM at Universal, lots of great experiences. Some of her field trips have included Halloween Horror Nights at Universal, a visit at the Peabody, gosh my mind is going blank. And there is a required guest lectures class that has had some really interesting speakers - one was the owner of the Mexican Cantina (and all of the other stuff she owns at Disney) before they started the renovations and she shared with the class what they were going to be doing.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. We are an out of state (tuition) family also and I can share what I know about that with you as well.

Liz
This is all completely right. However let me just add that Rosen requires you work a certain number of hours per week or in the semester for it to count as credit. The exact number escapes me at the moment, but it's reasonable.

Rosen's a good school, and it fully utilizes its geographic situation to its advantage, which benefits the students.

Out of State tuition is absolutely ridiculous, though, and only getting worse. Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes is quite difficult to obtain (though not impossible), so you have to take that into consideration.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: