Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #616
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey4ever111 View Post
My daughter is getting so discouraged because a few people who interviewed the same day got acceptance emails!! I know she will be devastated if she didn't get in!! This has been one of her dreams since she was about 9!!

I have been reading that alot of people that got accepted got there first choice for roles!!

Have a great day everyone!!
I don't think anyone has heard in Maryland yet - and don't forget, your mail may be delayed because of that freak snowstorm!

It's been almost three weeks (three weeks tomorrow) for me, and I haven't heard a peep. So she's not alone!
ZeroToHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #617
MrsPiglet
Wow, this makes me feel sort of powerful
When is the next Glow party?

how much do they need to bring

Hi all, My DD has been accepted for merchadising. She is so excited. She has been on facebook and found roomies. At this point my concern is How much money do they need to bring with them? How long is it before they get their first paycheck?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #618
dnoyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiglet View Post
Hi all, My DD has been accepted for merchadising. She is so excited. She has been on facebook and found roomies. At this point my concern is How much money do they need to bring with them? How long is it before they get their first paycheck?
She will need enough money to last for a couple weeks. Her first check will be very small after rent is taken out for the first two weeks.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #619
bopnopper9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiglet View Post
It depends on how much she's bringing from home. She'll need enough for two weeks worth of groceries, toilet paper, shower stuff, etc. as well as enough for a pair of shoes and possibly some socks.

Many locations require you to have a specific type of shoes/socks to work there. Usually said shoes can be found at Wal-mart for about $20 (mine were fifteen, I believe) and the socks were another $10 or so.

If you want an actual number, it really depends, but I started out with $150 and I was fine. However, I drove down and brought a lot of stuff in the car with me (soap, shampoos, some snacks, bedding, cleaners, etc.) I would probably recommend $150 as the minimum but $200-$300 to have spending/play money as well.

The first real, usable pay check will be about two weeks after she arrives. Hope this helped!

luckiestkid.blogspot.com (my normal blog)
dcpdocumenter.blogspot.com (Disney blog!)
bopnopper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #620
tiggeraholic
Mouseketeer

Any parent remotely interested in DVC, the time to buy is when your child is in the college program. If you have any questions feel free to PM me .
tiggeraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #621
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggeraholic View Post
Any parent remotely interested in DVC, the time to buy is when your child is in the college program. If you have any questions feel free to PM me .
Possibly, but not necessarily. Several of my DD's roommates parents own DVC and it's great. We don't, but remember, this is probably the only time you can get rooms at a 50% discount (if your child stays with you). We usually stay value or moderate, but last week we were able stay at Beach Club, club level because of the great discount we got.

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #622
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
Possibly, but not necessarily. Several of my DD's roommates parents own DVC and it's great. We don't, but remember, this is probably the only time you can get rooms at a 50% discount (if your child stays with you). We usually stay value or moderate, but last week we were able stay at Beach Club, club level because of the great discount we got.
He's actually referring to the Cast Member discount on Disney Vacation Club memberships, which as a courtesy is extended to the parents of Disney Internship Programs Participants.

It's actually a pretty nice discount - currently 20% off as of the time of this post. And you can continue to receive discounted hotel rooms even if your child does not remain with The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies after their program ends.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #623
DisneyWatchMan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post
He's actually referring to the Cast Member discount on Disney Vacation Club memberships, which as a courtesy is extended to the parents of Disney Internship Programs Participants.

It's actually a pretty nice discount - currently 20% off as of the time of this post. And you can continue to receive discounted hotel rooms even if your child does not remain with The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies after their program ends.
I'm not sure what you mean by "you can continue to receive discounted hotel rooms even if your child does not remain with the The Walt Disney Company".
DisneyWatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #624
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWatchMan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "you can continue to receive discounted hotel rooms even if your child does not remain with the The Walt Disney Company".
I think the poster means by buying into DVC you are continuing to receive discounted hotel rooms - the value of a CRO rented DVC room is much higher than what an owner pays over the long haul.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #625
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post

Oh wow, that's interesting. I did not know that. Pretty nice!

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #626
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Im new to this forum as I have a dd who is intrested in doing the CP. I started reading through this thread, but thought I would post a couple of questions.
My dd is a sophomore at Liberty University right now. She was wanting to do the spring 2011 cp, but Liberty says she has to have 18 credit hours in her major (journalism) under her belt before doing the cp. She wont have that many so she will probably have to do fall 2011.
She will also have to take a couple of online classes during her cp so she will still graduate on time.
As far as costs, what will she have to put money out for? I know there is housing and food, but are there any others? How much money does a typical CP make in a week?
Will she be able to get us a discount at Disney for hotel when we visit and park tickets if we choose to go?
I think I remember reading that some people found roomates over facebook. Can someone point me in the right direction to find lots of facebookers who are doing the program? (is there a "group"?)
We are going to try and get to a seminar at Virginia Tech next month to get more questions answered. Does anyone have a child from Liberty University that has done this? Does anyone have a child majoring in Journalism? If so what job were they given to go along with that field?

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is overwheming to say the least.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #627
Cara6190
Earning My Ears

I just got accepted!

I was accepted for the Fall Advantage program! I just got the e-mail today. I'm going to be a custodian! I actually think that will be good for me, so I'm excited!

Last edited by Cara6190; 02-18-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Cara6190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #628
dnoyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
Im new to this forum as I have a dd who is intrested in doing the CP. I started reading through this thread, but thought I would post a couple of questions.
My dd is a sophomore at Liberty University right now. She was wanting to do the spring 2011 cp, but Liberty says she has to have 18 credit hours in her major (journalism) under her belt before doing the cp. She wont have that many so she will probably have to do fall 2011.
She will also have to take a couple of online classes during her cp so she will still graduate on time.
As far as costs, what will she have to put money out for? I know there is housing and food, but are there any others? How much money does a typical CP make in a week?
Will she be able to get us a discount at Disney for hotel when we visit and park tickets if we choose to go?
I think I remember reading that some people found roomates over facebook. Can someone point me in the right direction to find lots of facebookers who are doing the program? (is there a "group"?)
We are going to try and get to a seminar at Virginia Tech next month to get more questions answered. Does anyone have a child from Liberty University that has done this? Does anyone have a child majoring in Journalism? If so what job were they given to go along with that field?

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is overwheming to say the least.
My daughter went to summer school to get extra credits before she did the CP. It also helped to keep her on our insurance.

She will need enough money to last the first few weeks until she gets a real check. Most make around $1000+ a month and rent (the only bill they pay) is $300 and up depending where you pick to live.

Once in the CP she can get you a Disney Resort room 40% off (50 if she stays with you) and yes she can get you guest tickets for up to 3 people at a time.

Can't help you with the Facebook thing.

There isn't a internship for journalism in the CP. She would have to agree to one of the roles offered. Go to the Disney World College Program site and look at the selections. My daughter did Merch at the HS and loved it.

Good luck it's a lot to learn
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #629
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara6190 View Post
I was accepted for the Fall Advantage program! I just got the e-mail today. I'm going to be a custodian! I actually think that will be good for me, so I'm excited!
Congrats!
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #630
stephsboys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara6190 View Post
Congratulations!! My son has been working as a custodian for about a month and he loves it~~ Lots of interaction with guests and he has gotten to work at a lot of different locations in EPCOT and now he is going to work at ESPN Sports Complex during Spring Training. He is really excited - he's a huge baseball fan!!

It may not sound like the most glamorous job, but it has been great for him!
Good luck!
stephsboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: