Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #556
karliebug
DIS Veteran

My DD's health is iffy right now. She has a chronic illness and is scheduled to arrive Feb. 1 so we are hoping to get her back on track before then. She is currently going on spring advantage and will be there until August 13. If she starts feeling ill again can she cut her program short and end in May with the regular spring students? I guess what I am asking is can she switch from spring advantage to regular spring once she is there.
karliebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #557
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Based on other people's experience, I would say that the answer to that would generally be no.

She would need to terminate her CP Contract, which would result in a, at best, Restricted Rehire Status with The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

However, given her circumstances, she should contact Florida-Site College Recruiting on (407) 828-1000 to discuss your options.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #558
Kobe
Earning My Ears

Question about new CP

My daughter just started as a new cp cast member. She has never been away from home, she went to the university close to our home. She just found out she is on the ride that she told her interviewer she would not be able to do and that is Jungle Cruise. She is afraid of water and is not as outgoing as you need to be to do the Captain position. She is out of her mind with worry that they will not change her job. She is also just a bundle of nerves being away from home and now with this. She starts her 6 day training today and does not know what to do. Please, if anyone has any advice for her I would appreciate it. Please don't tell me to have her suck it up and go for it because that is not an answer. Thank you....
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #559
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Did she mention it to her COT (coordinator of training)? At the end of her park Orientation class (Once Upon a Time is now) she will meet her COT. That is the person to start the communication with as it might be as easy to just switch her with another CP that is also entering the AD/LIB attractions team.

Once she gets trained at Jungle it will be hard to move because they do not like to cross train CPs in AD/LIB. She should talk to her COT ASAP!!! Typically the training office's phone number is listed on that paper schedule she got for training. Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #560
Kobe
Earning My Ears

From what I understand they did things a little different this time around. She was only told she had AD/LIB up until the end of Once upon a time. They took them all around the park, showed them everything and didn't tell them what ride they had until the very end. That was yesterday, Sat at about 3p.m. At once she told the COT this this was the only ride she told her recruiter that she did not think she could do because of the water and lines that she would have to say. He said she must go through the 6 days of training before they would consider moving her. Once she got back to the apartment she tried to call casting, recruiting and everything else she could but everything was closed. She went to training today and was going to talk to the COT again but he was not too receptive to listen to her yesterday so I am not sure what is going to happen today. I tried to call today to the cp recruiting office but everything is of course closed until Monday. I guess I just feel lost since she has never been away from home. I want to give her the means to handle this on her own so that she can continue with this wonderful program. She has been to Disney 15 times so she is not new to the area, I think she just needs to gain some confidence in herself that she can handle change and move forward. Thank you all for listening, it has been hard for me as well.
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #561
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

We just got back from taking our DD down to check in on Jan. 6. Everything went great (except it was FREEZING!) We got to Vista Way at 7:30 and were told that they would start letting people in at 8:30, but it was actually 8:00. We walked to the check-in area and took a quick photo outside, but no parents allowed in (already knew that), so went to the Family & Friends tent. Don't expect much here...outside there was a table with the Program Guide for Families (pick up and go) and another table for soliciting DVC memberships. Inside was chairs, coffee & hot chocolate. That's it - no people to actually tell you what to expect or answer questions.

DD had met some girls on Facebook and arranged to room with them. There are 8 of them in a 4 bedroom at Chatham, and one of the girls' dad is a DISer (Hi mickeymoo!) Very impressed with the apartment - much nicer than I expected! She likes all her roommates and they are getting along very well.

DD's role is Costuming and she found out that she is in Entertainment Costuming at Hollywood Studios, which is exactly what she wanted, so she's thrilled!

She did Traditions on Friday, then went to the MK with a roommate and 2 guys she met at the Welcome Party on Thursday (not sure how I feel about that - ha!)

Everytime I talk to her, she is bubbling over with excitement. My husband says I'm jealous, but I'm not...really! Okay, I do wish I had done the CP when I was in college, but hey, I just may move down there and work at Disney someday. And I am truly happy for my DD and hope that she has the experience of a lifetime!

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Praise2Him is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #562
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
I guess I just feel lost since she has never been away from home. I want to give her the means to handle this on her own so that she can continue with this wonderful program. She has been to Disney 15 times so she is not new to the area, I think she just needs to gain some confidence in herself that she can handle change and move forward. Thank you all for listening, it has been hard for me as well.
I don't have any advice for you, Kobe, but I just want to say that I'm really sorry this happened and I hope that everything works out for your DD. Hopefully they will move her to somewhere she's more comfortable. I know it's hard being so far away and feeling helpless. to you!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #563
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
At once she told the COT this this was the only ride she told her recruiter that she did not think she could do because of the water and lines that she would have to say. He said she must go through the 6 days of training before they would consider moving her.
I'm so sorry her COT did not help her, hopefully her trainer was able to help her today. I used to be a trainer in Adventureland and I know my COT would have helped someone immediately if they were in a role they are not comfortable with, especially with a fear of a major part of the attraction. I certainly hope they do not make her complete all 6 days.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #564
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
Everytime I talk to her, she is bubbling over with excitement. My husband says I'm jealous, but I'm not...really! Okay, I do wish I had done the CP when I was in college, but hey, I just may move down there and work at Disney someday. And I am truly happy for my DD and hope that she has the experience of a lifetime!
My older 2 DDs were the same way on their CPs. I'll admit it, I WAS jealous, so I went back to grad school to qualify for the program! I did MY CP Jan '09 (and had to tell the folks at check-in several times that I REALLY was a participant, NOT a parent ) I went on to a management internship and today I start my new role as a statused duty manager. You just never know where that path will lead...

I'm glad your DD is settling in
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #565
stephsboys
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone
Great info Thanks so much It has helped so much to get ready for this!
My son is checking in for Spring Advantage on the 27th, I am going down with him and hanging out for a few days to play!! I have couple questions.
I am traveling with my CP kid and my 3 year old (yes a 3 year old!) We have read in various places that children are not allowed at the CP housing. Will I be OK for check in day to have him with me? I am planning to drop and go and wait to be summond for chauffer duties to grocery store, target etc, but I would like to take the tour and pick up info, but I will have the little man with me.

My son had thyroid cancer last year (he is absolutely fine now - thank God) and is on meds for that and some blood pressure issues. Does anyone have suggestions about a pharmancy close by or would be better to do mail order??

Typically when do the CP participants start in their role? I would love to catch a few photos on his first days when he is doing his disney job.

One more thing - have any of you ever ordered grocery delivery for your CP kids? Suggestions?? We've used Garden Grocer for our Disney trips, but a bit spendy for every week.

Thanks again for the great info
Steph
stephsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #566
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Oops, Steph and I were posting at the same time - this response is to GrayGables (I knew I should've quoted!)

Oh yes, I know your story! I read your blog when I 'met' you on the Homeschool board. (I homeschooled my DD too) I think it's so cool what you've done. I'd love to do the same! Unfortunately, my DH can't retire for 9 more years, but when he does we'd love to move to the Orlando area and work at Disney.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #567
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephsboys View Post
Hi everyone
Great info Thanks so much It has helped so much to get ready for this!
My son is checking in for Spring Advantage on the 27th, I am going down with him and hanging out for a few days to play!! I have couple questions.
I am traveling with my CP kid and my 3 year old (yes a 3 year old!) We have read in various places that children are not allowed at the CP housing. Will I be OK for check in day to have him with me? I am planning to drop and go and wait to be summond for chauffer duties to grocery store, target etc, but I would like to take the tour and pick up info, but I will have the little man with me.

My son had thyroid cancer last year (he is absolutely fine now - thank God) and is on meds for that and some blood pressure issues. Does anyone have suggestions about a pharmancy close by or would be better to do mail order??

Typically when do the CP participants start in their role? I would love to catch a few photos on his first days when he is doing his disney job.

One more thing - have any of you ever ordered grocery delivery for your CP kids? Suggestions?? We've used Garden Grocer for our Disney trips, but a bit spendy for every week.

Thanks again for the great info
Steph
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I do know that there wasn't a tour this year. I heard a man asking about it - he said that a couple of years ago his older child did the CP and the families were taken on a tour. The CM didn't know anything about it and there wasn't anything like that this year - just a table to pick up the info. I didn't see any children there, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem to take him with you to pick up the booklet.

At check in, they gave us a 1 day parking pass to get into the apartments. They just waved us in whenever they saw it, so I don't think they would even know if you had a little one in the car. I'm not sure about the rules, though, but I think families are allowed in the housing that one day.

Will your DS have a car? If not, I know the bus runs to WalMart, which has groceries and a pharmacy. I've also heard it may go to Publix (grocery store, but more expensive than WalMart). Also, his roommate(s) may have a car.

What is your DS's role? Different roles have different training schedules. For example, DD checked in last Wed., had Thurs. off, then Traditions on Fri. (I think that's pretty standard). Her roommates that are in Attractions, Merchandise, etc. had training on Sat. and pretty much started on the job training the next day or two. DD, on the other hand, is in Costuming and had training Sun., Today, and Fri., and is supposed to start on the job training tomorrow (Wed.) Unfortunately, she's in a backstage role, so we'll never get to see her doing her job, but it's what she wanted, so that's okay!

Hope this helped a little bit! Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #568
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

One more thing I thought of for those going down soon. Make sure your child's birth certificate is not laminated. If it is, make sure you also have their social security card!

Several of my DD's roommates live in states where the original birth certificates are laminated, with the state seal going through the laminate, and Disney would not accept them. Unfortunately, they didn't have their ss cards with them either, and they had to go to the local ss office the next day to get another one.

Also, don't forget (like we did), that if they are going to have a car, you must give Disney a copy of the insurance policy that shows the child as the designated driver of that car. If you forget, you can have it faxed to them.

Last edited by Praise2Him; 01-12-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #569
stephsboys
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. My son is going to be a custodian so he was told he would most likely be in a park - yeah!!! We talked with a lot of custodians when we were there in November and they were having a great time. Made him feel a lot better about doing custodial work. He will definitely be on stage in a park. Right now I am planning to fly home on Tuesday so it sounds like he could be in a park over the weekend - cool!
stephsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #570
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Yes, it seems like those who do custodial really like it a lot. Hopefully you'll be able to see him while you're there!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: