Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #496
dnoyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhw View Post
Thanks for the reply. Now, are Chatham and Patterson near the same area? Do the CP students need to bring their own TV? Is there cable in each room or just in the living room?
Chatham and Patterson are next to each other. If you want a TV you will need to bring one or buy one there. My daughter is at Patterson and they have cable in the bedroom.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #497
merlib
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3pauls View Post
Mary,

You might want to do a little research on this. We're in Columbus, Ohio, and my daughter (and I) are currently full-time students at Franklin University. If you review the paperwork, this program is considered (and designed to be) a college internship that most colleges consider full-time attendance, if scheduled properly with their college advisor. In fact, Disney encourages them to be enrolled in online college courses if the classes Disney offers on-site for free can't be transferred for credit to their own school.

Our college tells us she is the first student of theirs to attend this program. She will be dual-enrolled (one independent study internship for 4 semester hours at Franklin, and two pre-approved Disney courses for 4 semester hours each). Though the courses are provided free of charge by Disney (except for books and materials), she will still pay tuition to Franklin for 12 semester hours to maintain full-time college status. This way, she maintains her financial aid package and her health insurance through us.

If she's enrolled in college now, or can enroll at a local college of yours, I'd speak to their advisors to see if/how this may work for your child. I know some colleges already have this program established and can tell you what does/doesn't transfer, or what to enroll in to maintain full-time status. From what I've learned, each school is different in how they handle this situation. However, I also believe that the student has to be either approved or referred by his/her college as well. Again, I may be wrong....just trying to offer some advice from what I've read and learned from my daughter that will be arriving on Jan 11th for her Spring program.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply re: health insurance. My DD situation is a little different in that her particular college is specialized (early childhood) and none of the courses that Disney offers can be applied toward her major (Elementary Ed). She has been researching this since she found out about the program in 9th grade and actually talked to the people at her college before enrolling about this. So -- even though she will not be able to get credit for her time and Disney, she is determined to do it.

I talked to my benefits manager again, and because we do live in CT there is a state law that says she has to be covered under my health insurance until the age of 26 with two conditions -- fulltime student or living in the state of ct. Since this is truly an Internship, my benefits managers says she will still be covered under the plan -- she will just loose dental/vision. We can live with that!

My DD can't wait and I know it will be a wonderful learning experience for her --even without the college credits!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #498
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhw View Post
Thanks for the reply. Now, are Chatham and Patterson near the same area? Do the CP students need to bring their own TV? Is there cable in each room or just in the living room?
In our apartment in Chatham there was not a cable hookup in the bedrooms, only in the living room. You would have to get a splitter and wire it around to get it.
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #499
rhw
Mouseketeer

thanks, trying to get the little things taken care of.
rhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #500
rubbergypsy
DIS Veteran

My son was accepted into the c/p, his check in date is 1/27, he is driving up with his dad to arrive on 1/26. I will fly in on 1/26-how long should I stay? We plan on helping him get whatever he needs for the apt. Do we as parents get to see his living quarters? Is there anything for parents such as a meeting etc... ? or are they on their own? Perhaps should we come in earlier or is our date of 1/26 good? Will we get to see him at all? Any info helpful.
rubbergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #501
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbergypsy View Post
My son was accepted into the c/p, his check in date is 1/27, he is driving up with his dad to arrive on 1/26. I will fly in on 1/26-how long should I stay? We plan on helping him get whatever he needs for the apt. Do we as parents get to see his living quarters? Is there anything for parents such as a meeting etc... ? or are they on their own? Perhaps should we come in earlier or is our date of 1/26 good? Will we get to see him at all? Any info helpful.
While he checks in on the 27th they have a tent where the parents can gather - there is a tour of the facilities that goes from there, I think a film running, that sort of thing.

Once he gets his keys you can accompany him to his apartment. He will have some meetings during the day and next day but yes there is time to see him during the next couple of days.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #502
mollay
Princess-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3pauls View Post
Mollay,

My daughter is attending this Spring. She already wanted to apply, but was even more encouraged once she spoke to others that had completed the program. Maybe you can find someone for your mom to talk to, or have her read the information on the website. I believe it's a lot like living in a college dorm, along with working full-time for Disney. Furthermore, if you ask your college advisor, being able to list this on your resume is a HUGE plus - especially if you are studying anything in the Business, Public Relations, Event Planning, Management, etc...fields.

If you're on Facebook, there is a young lady named Mandy Cuckler that you may want to contact. She was in the program, and now live in Florida. Though I don't personally know her, I sent her a message to ask about her experience. She's been a GREAT source of encouragement and information for both my daughter and me.

Good luck!
Hi my3pauls,

Thankyou so much for the response! I'll certainly look into Mandy Cuckler! I also was pretty sure this program would look good on my resume -- still deciding a major though -- and I hope I'll get through to my mom soon that this really is a rare oppurtunity.
Thanks!! I really appreciate it
Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #503
swissfamilyrobinson
Mouseketeer

Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfamilyrobinson View Post
I've been reading around on the CP Board, but can't seem to find out what I need to know. I hope someone can help us!!

Our situation:

My DD20 just completed her Associates Degree in Music at the local community college this summer. This fall she couldn't decide what to do, so she didn't enroll anywhere. After some career testing/counseling, she had decided to go on to a four year school in the spring to continue her education. However, when we contacted a couple of the schools she was interested in, they said their scholarship money wouldn't be available for spring - she would have to wait until fall (for the department scholarships - not Phi Theta Kappa, etc.)

So, she has now decided to apply for the Spring 2010 CP at WDW. (Very weird, that she and I thought of it on the same day, unbeknownst to the other!) From what I can gather, you have to be enrolled either FT or PT to enroll in the CP. And it's too late to apply for full term fall semester courses.

Our questions:

1. Would she be eligible to apply for Spring 2010 CP if she enrolled in a Term II Internet Class at the community college (which begins Oct. 8)?

2. Does she have to be enrolled anywhere for Spring 2010 (college wise) or can she wait until Fall 2010 to continue her studies at a new college?

I know our situation is convoluted - please let me know if I need to clarify anything! Any help anyone could give us would be most appreciated!!
Just thought I'd give everyone an update - my DD was accepted into the CP into Attractions! She is also headed to Atlanta on Nov. 4 for the Character Performer auditions.

Thanks to everyone - this board is an invaluable source of information!
swissfamilyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #504
dreamerjlee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlib View Post
Thanks for your reply re: health insurance. My DD situation is a little different in that her particular college is specialized (early childhood) and none of the courses that Disney offers can be applied toward her major (Elementary Ed). She has been researching this since she found out about the program in 9th grade and actually talked to the people at her college before enrolling about this. So -- even though she will not be able to get credit for her time and Disney, she is determined to do it.

I talked to my benefits manager again, and because we do live in CT there is a state law that says she has to be covered under my health insurance until the age of 26 with two conditions -- fulltime student or living in the state of ct. Since this is truly an Internship, my benefits managers says she will still be covered under the plan -- she will just loose dental/vision. We can live with that!

My DD can't wait and I know it will be a wonderful learning experience for her --even without the college credits!

I am also a El Ed. major just finishing my student teaching. There is one class that I saw that could apply to education that talks about learning from your surroundings. This is a major component for my elementary education program. I applied for this spring. If I take a class I will take this one. I may not take a class because right now I am just ready for graduation in December.
dreamerjlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #505
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfamilyrobinson View Post
Just thought I'd give everyone an update - my DD was accepted into the CP into Attractions! She is also headed to Atlanta on Nov. 4 for the Character Performer auditions.

Thanks to everyone - this board is an invaluable source of information!
Congratulations to your DD - I'm glad it worked out for her! And good luck in the audition. My DD was thinking about going to Atlanta also, but she got her first choice of role (Costuming) so she decided to do that instead, since her major is Fashion Design & Merchandising.

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #506
swissfamilyrobinson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
Congratulations to your DD - I'm glad it worked out for her! And good luck in the audition. My DD was thinking about going to Atlanta also, but she got her first choice of role (Costuming) so she decided to do that instead, since her major is Fashion Design & Merchandising.
Thank you! Actually, costuming was my DDs first choice, also - she wants to major in something like Fashion Design or Costume Design. But she likes to act, too, and wants to give the character performer auditions a shot. BTW, we also live in Alabama!
swissfamilyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #507
CP2010Mom
Earning My Ears

Hello - I'm so happy I found these boards. I've spent the weekend going through the threads but I still have a couple questions I would like to have answered if someone can help me out.

1) Are the laundry facilities in each apartment? If not, where?

2) Some of you mentioned going to Walmart to get things for the apartment. What types of things are you buying? My son is driving so we will be bringing the majority of the stuff he needs, I just don't want to forget anything. He will be bringing bedding, etc.

I know another mom is thinking about flying down after her child/husband drive down. We were actually thinking of this as well but I just can't get out of my son how long he would want us to stay, if at all. We will have two kids back home so I don't want to stay long. I think we may just end up leaving it that my husband drives down with son and flies back late on check-in night. If anyone thinks my husband should stick around another night, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
CP2010Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #508
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP2010Mom View Post
1) Are the laundry facilities in each apartment? If not, where?
It varies based on complex. I lived in Patterson and there were a couple buildings throughout the complex dedicated to laundry. I learned quickly that it's always full in the evening, but when I did my laundry at 9am I would have no problem finding a machine.

I'm pretty sure Chatham is set up the same way, but I believe Vista has laundry in each building.

Quote:
2) Some of you mentioned going to Walmart to get things for the apartment. What types of things are you buying?
FOOD! Walmart has a cheapest food, and with a Disney pay it's the best bang for your buck. Other items I bought right away were the cleaning supplies (trash bags, sponges, windex, etc.) we also purchased a towel rack for the back of the bathroom door, a dry eraser board calendar for the apartment, swifter sweeper, and Brita filter. Those are the things I'm remembering at the moment.

Quote:
3)I think we may just end up leaving it that my husband drives down with son and flies back late on check-in night. If anyone thinks my husband should stick around another night, please let me know.
That would be fine - my family stayed until the next day just because the flights were cheaper, but leaving on check-in night would easily be enough time!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #509
Virgderon
DIS Veteran

My D is currently in the program- she works at Big Thunder and loves it. Let's see if I can cover a few of the things that have been asked:

At Chatham, your internet is hard wired. So, you have to buy a wireless router if you want internet access without sitting at a desk in the hallway.

I left late in the day on Day1, but I live in Tampa, so I knew I would be back whenever she needed me, and she likes her own space, so it worked out fine.

At least in Chatham, there is a huge difference between the size of the bedrooms and the bathrooms. One bedroom is huge and has a walk in closet, and the other is tiny, has a tiny closet and tiny bathroom. If you get the smaller room, you may need some more storage options. Hooks for the bathroom door, a couple more plastic bins for storage etcc.

Also, if your kid gets the smaller room, be prepared for some resentment of the roomates who got the bigger room. Why Disney has such a difference in the size of the room, with no rent difference, is beyond me.

At Chatham, the laundry is a building away from my Ds, but that does not seem to be an issue.

The one thing that some of the kids were not prepared for was the dress code. Read it- understand it, and abide by it. If your D has 2 tone hair- make sure to get it all one color before you get there. My Ds roomate had to pay $125 to get her hair color to all one color before she could go to work. She also got sent home for wearing the wrong shoes for training.

The college program is wonderful, but it's a job. Be prepared to follow the rules on how to look and how to behave- disney is serious about maintaining their brand . For many of the college kids, they struggle to be on time at work. They can't be late to work- if it happens enough, they will get sent home.

If I sound negative, don't worry , I'm not. My D loves the experience and has applied to extend. I'm just putting it out there that it is a job, and one to be taken seriously. :-)
Virgderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #510
rbrainerd
Mouseketeer

My DD just put in for extension as well. She works entertainment costuming at HS and LOVES it. We drove her from MI and flew back home so she could have her car...a huge plus. If you take the bussing system to work, then you have to leave a good hour plus in advance to your shift. She took the bus for about a week to see where she was going then quickly switched to taking her car. She lives at Chatham and has the "small bedroom". She actually likes it cause the cable cord reaches into their room for their TV and also the large room has the clothes closet in the bathroom...not something she likes. We stayed for 4 days after she moved in and had tons of time to spend with her. Along with a Walmart there is a Publix which is really nice and has a larger selection of food items..Walmart can be crazy at times, esp. when move in time comes. Best advice we remember is bring or buy: a mattress pad if not something like a memory foam pad, over the door towel rack, wireless router, computer, and not too many clothes (you won't need them..you live in your "costume" cause you WILL be working). The most important thing, if you want to stay, is to follow the community code and work code. They give you rules (code) when you move in so read them and as far as work, be responsible and things go well. My DD loves it. She gets kinda wore out after 48 hours a week, she's on a 9 day stretch now with some 10.5 hour shifts, but she works with wonderful people so she has no complaints. They basically are like her family for they work together and hang out after work together...and they are regulars, not even CP"S In short...you will work, you will meet people that you will always remember, and you have a wonderful opportunity to work for a great company. Good luck!
rbrainerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: