Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #451
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynk View Post
My DD has only been in the Disney CP for about 2 weeks now, and already one roommate went home and two more are contemplating it? Almost everyone she knows is homesick and regrets applying now. Is this norm? DD says she is sticking it out, but is disappointed to be losing some new friends.
My DD is 2 1/2 months into her CP and has lost only one roommate to homesickness. But this was her room mate's first time away from home and she had not ever been to WDW either. My DD just had her first bout of homesickness this last week which I expected sooner as she's 3000 miles away from home. I don't know that all students understand that they are working for a major corporation that just happens to be Disney. They work hard but as my DD says, she's learning so much and classes haven't even started yet. I think this program tests one's work ethic and one's ability to work with different personalities as well as serving so many different guests. Congrats to your DD for making the commitment to hang in there.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #452
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
My DD has only been in the Disney CP for about 2 weeks now, and already one roommate went home and two more are contemplating it? Almost everyone she knows is homesick and regrets applying now. Is this norm? DD says she is sticking it out, but is disappointed to be losing some new friends.
I think it really depends on the person. Over my 4 full programs, only one of my roomies left to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp'ersmom View Post
Is it true they changed the check-in to a 2 day procedure now, Traditions being on the second day?
Check-in now is a 1-day process. Everything that happened on Day 2 now happens on Day 1 (finding out work locations, ect). I like it much better this way. And Traditions is usually on Day 3.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #453
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

What do the students do on day 2 if all the check is in done on Day 1 and Traditions is day 3?
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #454
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
What do the students do on day 2 if all the check is in done on Day 1 and Traditions is day 3?
Nothing (although, I suppose if you got to check in late on Day 1, you might do some of the stuff on Day 2 instead). I took care of some of my shopping on Day 2.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #455
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
You have that very important roommate meeting and hash all that out before problems arise. Ours took nearly 3 hours.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #456
cp'ersmom
Mouseketeer

None of my daughters roommates are talking about leaving but they are all having trouble getting along. I told my daughter it's early days, learn how to live with different personalities and you can add that to your list of job related benefits. Other than that she is loving it and taking full advantage of all that is offered.....already booked to visit in Oct!

Been bunches and bunches of times
First time Aug 1971 and all we saw was the welcome center.
cp'ersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #457
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp'ersmom View Post
None of my daughters roommates are talking about leaving but they are all having trouble getting along. I told my daughter it's early days, learn how to live with different personalities and you can add that to your list of job related benefits. Other than that she is loving it and taking full advantage of all that is offered.....already booked to visit in Oct!
My daughter and her roommates are now loving the program. She is really fortunate to room with a great group of girls. Out of 8, so far only one left due to receiving a full ride scholarship to her college. Some of the others are homesick, but decided to stick it out and are now having a ball. They don't want to leave the program, but say they will be ready to go when it is over. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over the next couple of months?

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #458
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My daughter and her roommates are now loving the program. She is really fortunate to room with a great group of girls. Out of 8, so far only one left due to receiving a full ride scholarship to her college. Some of the others are homesick, but decided to stick it out and are now having a ball. They don't want to leave the program, but say they will be ready to go when it is over. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over the next couple of months?
My daughter is also living in a 4 bdrm. 2 have left, one for medical reasons and the other because of extreme homesickness (first time to away from home and to WDW). They gained a girl from Shanghai. Everyone gets along. They have rallied to help each other out. One interesting thing, my DD's BFF thought she really wanted to work at WDW, and now she realizes that Florida would be a long way from Southern California and home. But isn't that one of the reasons they have this experience. My DD has learned so much since June about people and work. She can't wait for the Disney classes to start.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #459
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
My daughter is also living in a 4 bdrm. 2 have left, one for medical reasons and the other because of extreme homesickness (first time to away from home and to WDW). They gained a girl from Shanghai. Everyone gets along. They have rallied to help each other out. One interesting thing, my DD's BFF thought she really wanted to work at WDW, and now she realizes that Florida would be a long way from Southern California and home. But isn't that one of the reasons they have this experience. My DD has learned so much since June about people and work. She can't wait for the Disney classes to start.
That is neat the girls can help each other out. So. CA is a long way from Florida. We are from No. CA, so we can definitely relate. I wish I could afford to see my DD more often.

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #460
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is neat the girls can help each other out. So. CA is a long way from Florida. We are from No. CA, so we can definitely relate. I wish I could afford to see my DD more often.
This was suppose to be our year not to go to WDW, but my youngest was accepted. Thank goodness for our DVC and good airfare deals.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #461
Donnaksmj
LovinDisney

Anyone else have a child in the program that is completely miserable???? I feel bad,.....
Donnaksmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #462
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaksmj View Post
Anyone else have a child in the program that is completely miserable???? I feel bad,.....
Is your child miserable? Somewhere back a few pages, there was a post that referenced Lee Cockerell's blog and his letter to CPs. One of the CP or college DISers posted it and I forwarded it to my DD. He also had a later blog entry that she sent back to me that she said really helped her.

http://www.leecockerell.com/blog/ind...-Your-Promises

I say my DD loves it now, but even she will admit that the first month was hard work and a learning experience for her. She started in June, so she's been at it for 3 months. My youngest DD is our homebody and WDW CP is a big step for her. She's had some rough spots and being 3000 miles away certainly was hard for both of us.

Hang in there!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #463
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaksmj View Post
My DD isn't miserable- now that she is over the homesick part. I think she is having the time of her life. On her days off- she manages to always do something fun like go to the beach, etc... With that said she does not like her hours (very grueling), but I guess that is why she got hired- to work her tail off. I think she is learning a great deal about responsibility from the program. It is good for her to learn to not have mom or dad bail her out all the time. She keeps telling my DH how much she misses his cooking, and let me tell you- his head is swollen now!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #464
swissfamilyrobinson
Mouseketeer

Daughter considering Spring 2010 CP

I've been reading around on the CP Board, but can't seem to find out what I need to know. I hope someone can help us!!

Our situation:

My DD20 just completed her Associates Degree in Music at the local community college this summer. This fall she couldn't decide what to do, so she didn't enroll anywhere. After some career testing/counseling, she had decided to go on to a four year school in the spring to continue her education. However, when we contacted a couple of the schools she was interested in, they said their scholarship money wouldn't be available for spring - she would have to wait until fall (for the department scholarships - not Phi Theta Kappa, etc.)

So, she has now decided to apply for the Spring 2010 CP at WDW. (Very weird, that she and I thought of it on the same day, unbeknownst to the other!) From what I can gather, you have to be enrolled either FT or PT to enroll in the CP. And it's too late to apply for full term fall semester courses.

Our questions:

1. Would she be eligible to apply for Spring 2010 CP if she enrolled in a Term II Internet Class at the community college (which begins Oct. 8)?

2. Does she have to be enrolled anywhere for Spring 2010 (college wise) or can she wait until Fall 2010 to continue her studies at a new college?

I know our situation is convoluted - please let me know if I need to clarify anything! Any help anyone could give us would be most appreciated!!
swissfamilyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #465
NicoleRose
Mouseketeer

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this, but i'm pretty sure that you just have to be enrolled during the time of application. so if she just enrolled in some term II internet courses at a CC and applied while she was enrolled, that should be fine.
the website does say "Those who have taken college courses, but are currently taking "time off" from school are not eligible to apply." but if she did enroll in a class she should be fine since it also says "Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes in an accredited college or university in the United States and have completed at least one semester."

good luck!
NicoleRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: