Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #436
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynk View Post
Does anyone know what the official bank of WDW is? What brand of banking is listed on the majority of ATM's throughout the park. I'm wondering if the CP students can opt for direct deposit into their current bank, and use the ATM's as needed. I'm going to ask this question on the CP students board as well. Thank you.
My daughter set up a direct deposit to our credit union. All the Disney ATMs are on our no fee ATMs that she can use to get money. She said it was really easy and she's been using the Disney ATMs and she hasn't seen any fee online when she looks at her account.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #437
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
They had Partner's representatives at the Housing meeting my daughter attended her first day and she set up an account either that day or the next.

Liz
Maybe she'll go that route instead?? Who knows- it is up to her. Thank you for the useful info. I will pass it along.

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #438
Emily.Moore
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
Well you would think but unfortunately that is not always the case - that is awesome for you guys though! Insurance (like so many other things) is certainly one thing that is not uniform across the board.

Liz
yeah

right
Emily.Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #439
cp'ersmom
Mouseketeer

Work location??

I was told in a previous post that once the student pays the fee they are given a job location, ie: Main Street. My daughter hasn't received that information and we are leaving in a few days for the Aug 12 check-in!!! Does anyone know how she finds out her location?

Been bunches and bunches of times
First time Aug 1971 and all we saw was the welcome center.
cp'ersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #440
Donnaksmj
LovinDisney

I'm pretty sure they find out once they get down there and check in...
good luck
Donnaksmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #441
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Yes, they are assigned the location, but it is done internally since things will change over time. Their exact location is decided about two weeks before arrival, the student will find out on Day 2.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #442
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp'ersmom View Post
I was told in a previous post that once the student pays the fee they are given a job location, ie: Main Street. My daughter hasn't received that information and we are leaving in a few days for the Aug 12 check-in!!! Does anyone know how she finds out her location?
My DD found out her second day of orientation. It was frustrating for me to not be there when she found out since we were worrying about work shoes.
BUT for me, it was time to cut the "strings" and trust my DD. She works in AK and they have to work brown shoes/hiking boots. She's found some shoes that work and we may look for hiking boots when we visit her later this month. I bought her some gel insoles to put in whatever shoes she got and she says that really helps.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #443
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

don't forget that you do have a week to get those shoes, so try not to stress too much! It is nerve-wracking, not knowing to the bitter end (or happy beginning!), but it's a fun memory, that rush of knowledge...

For all you worried parents out there, if your CP gets placed at All Star Merchandise, know they are in great hands and I promise to be a good "mama" to them! (although, I'll whip 'em into shape... )
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #444
cp'ersmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. Yes we were stressing about the shoes (amoung other things) but I feel better knowing she has a week. The gel insoles are a wonderful idea!

Is it true they changed the check-in to a 2 day procedure now, Traditions being on the second day?

Been bunches and bunches of times
First time Aug 1971 and all we saw was the welcome center.
cp'ersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #445
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Check-in has been a 2 day procedure for many years. Traditions is not until day 3 or 4.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #446
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

This thread has been a wealth of information! Most of the questions I had have already been answered.

I have 2 DS- both interested.
One in CP- he's a college senior graduating this coming December and has only one opportunity to apply- Spring 2010.
The other is 19 and did one year of college, but it wasn't a good fit. He is considering Career Start as a possible option, if they open applications for the Spring or Fall 2010.

Both of them go off our medical insurance in January- but I have learned we will have to find our own- WDWCP or not.

Here are my questions:
1- It seems like start dates in January vary greatly. What dictates when a student starts? Can they pick their start date? I have seen dates from early Jan all the way to the 25th.

2- When a CP or CS has family visiting and staying in a Disney hotel- can they stay with them? I understand the CP cannot have visitors stay in their apartments, but can they go out and stay in the hotels and still fulfill their work schedule? (Each would have their own car available)

3- Can Career Start kids take classes too? Or are they only for CP students?

That's all for now.
I understand applications should be opening up very soon for Spring 2010- we will be watching the website!

Thanks in advance.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #447
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
This thread has been a wealth of information! Most of the questions I had have already been answered.

I have 2 DS- both interested.
One in CP- he's a college senior graduating this coming December and has only one opportunity to apply- Spring 2010.
The other is 19 and did one year of college, but it wasn't a good fit. He is considering Career Start as a possible option, if they open applications for the Spring or Fall 2010.

Both of them go off our medical insurance in January- but I have learned we will have to find our own- WDWCP or not.

Here are my questions:
1- It seems like start dates in January vary greatly. What dictates when a student starts? Can they pick their start date? I have seen dates from early Jan all the way to the 25th.

2- When a CP or CS has family visiting and staying in a Disney hotel- can they stay with them? I understand the CP cannot have visitors stay in their apartments, but can they go out and stay in the hotels and still fulfill their work schedule? (Each would have their own car available)

3- Can Career Start kids take classes too? Or are they only for CP students?

That's all for now.
I understand applications should be opening up very soon for Spring 2010- we will be watching the website!

Thanks in advance.
First - and I am not sure of this but I was under the impression that Career Start was only available for students straight out of high school and for your younger son to participate he would need to take at least one college course the semester he was wanting to apply.

The start dates are what are available when you accept your program and are on a drop down type menu. My daughter had alot of choices available when she accepted but I have heard there are times when only one or two are available.

Absolutely they can stay with you (or anywhere else for that matter as long as they are paying their rent or have a waiver to live elsewhere). And the discounts are better if they do stay with you! While my daughter was a CP I came down three times and each time she stayed with us and then just left from the hotel for work. She still works at Disney and we stayed at the Poly over the 4th and she worked two of the nights we were there and she did the same then.

Not sure about classes for Career Start - for some reason I am thinking no but someone with more knowledge of the program will come along shortly.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #448
khancock
DIS Veteran

CareerStart is open to anyone who has graduated high school within the previous 4 years. When they started it, it was for immediate graduates, but they extended the time frame. From what I can tell on the various boards, more people who took a bit of college and then took some time off are doing it than those who are straight out of high school.

They do have classes.
http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/c.../learning.html

CareerStart is a streamlined version of the CP. Shares the same basic idea, but not as many offerings (types of jobs, classes).
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #449
tlynk
DIS Veteran

CP students dropping out- is this normal?

My DD has only been in the Disney CP for about 2 weeks now, and already one roommate went home and two more are contemplating it? Almost everyone she knows is homesick and regrets applying now. Is this norm? DD says she is sticking it out, but is disappointed to be losing some new friends.

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #450
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynk View Post
My DD has only been in the Disney CP for about 2 weeks now, and already one roommate went home and two more are contemplating it? Almost everyone she knows is homesick and regrets applying now. Is this norm? DD says she is sticking it out, but is disappointed to be losing some new friends.
I think its fairly common - I know my daughter went through a bunch of different roommates including several who chose to leave, several who were termed and several who changed rooms.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: