Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #376
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp'ersmom View Post
Does anyone know the thought process behind not telling the cp'ers where they will work and live till they get there? Seems to me it would be much easier for everyone involved if they knew ahead of time.

My daughter is in Merch, arriving on the 12th of August. We are all flying down and making it into a little family vacation so the hope is we can use 1 suitcase for 3 of us and fit most of her stuff in 3 others.

Another question, can the family be there for the registration part or do we drop her off and wait till she gets the green light to move in?

THX
I think part of it is they don't know based on availability/need.

There is a family tent on the Vista grounds during the registration process and they take tours from there. You can do that until your daughter gets through registration.

My advice (not that you asked) is to be early for registration -- they open it early so she gets through the process faster. That way you can get on with the moving in part faster.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #377
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone know the thought process behind not telling the cp'ers where they will work and live till they get there? Seems to me it would be much easier for everyone involved if they knew ahead of time.
They don't know.

A person is placed in their role based on the interview (Attractions)

After the fee is payed then they are placed in an area (Adventureland)

About 1-2 weeks before they arrive the AREA will place them in their specific location (Pirates of the Caribbean).

The CP office does not make that final decision so there is no way they could tell anyone ahead of time.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #378
cp'ersmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the answers. We plan to be there a few days before check-in so the hope is to get there as early as possible for check-in.

Thanks for telling me about the tent. Are the tours of the housing areas or the whole resort?

I really am as excited as she is!!

Been bunches and bunches of times
First time Aug 1971 and all we saw was the welcome center.
cp'ersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #379
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. We plan to be there a few days before check-in so the hope is to get there as early as possible for check-in.

Thanks for telling me about the tent. Are the tours of the housing areas or the whole resort?

I really am as excited as she is!!
It's a tour of the housing facility - including a sample apartment, the bus stop area, pool, clubhouse etc.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #380
cp'ersmom
Mouseketeer

Great Thanks!

Been bunches and bunches of times
First time Aug 1971 and all we saw was the welcome center.
cp'ersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #381
Aiden
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if you can take classes when participating in the Spring Advantage Quarter?
Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #382
brigadoon
Earning My Ears

Hi. My daughter arrived from Scotland this week and has been told she'll be a lifeguard at Wilderness Lodge, which is fine by her. As she understandably wants to spend all her free time sightseeing, shopping and partying with her new friends, she's only giving us minimal info by email.

I'd just like to know what hours lifeguards work, how many days per week and also if they can change location at any point. I'm sure she'd like to experience working at other hotels and one of the water parks, but I'm not sure if it would be possible.
brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #383
mickey4ever
Mouseketeer

How hard is it to say goodbye?

Hi! My daughter and I are very very close. We will be taking her to Disneyworld to start her intership on Aug. 8th. She has to be checked in by Aug. 12th. We go to Disney every year so she is familiar with the parks and the way of the World. I know it is going to be hard to leave her there and say goodbye on the 16th. and that 5 months isn't that long. Please give me any advice that will help me make it easier on us.
mickey4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #384
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey4ever View Post
Hi! My daughter and I are very very close. We will be taking her to Disneyworld to start her intership on Aug. 8th. She has to be checked in by Aug. 12th. We go to Disney every year so she is familiar with the parks and the way of the World. I know it is going to be hard to leave her there and say goodbye on the 16th. and that 5 months isn't that long. Please give me any advice that will help me make it easier on us.
We leave in a week to check my youngest daughter in on June 15th. And she turns 21 while at the World. So far, we have scheduled the whole family for WDW in August and we will video chat between our two macs. I plan on sending her care packages and snail mail letters with pictures of her dog. I don't know that it will be any easier to leave them when your family is so close. My oldest is expecting in Nov and my youngest is upset that she will not be here when the baby is born. All I can say is thank goodness for our macs and video chatting.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #385
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Bus safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey4ever View Post
Hi! My daughter and I are very very close. We will be taking her to Disneyworld to start her internship on Aug. 8th. She has to be checked in by Aug. 12th. We go to Disney every year so she is familiar with the parks and the way of the World. I know it is going to be hard to leave her there and say goodbye on the 16th. and that 5 months isn't that long. Please give me any advice that will help me make it easier on us.
I'm taking my DD in August as well. It still hasn't really sank in yet! I could use some advice as well- I feel for you. I'm sooo nervous about DD using the bus system in the wee hours (if she works late). There is no way she can bring her car this trip.

Does anyone know if there are lots of students on the buses? I'm worried about where she will be picked up and dropped off and if there will be people around in well lighted areas? Does the bus pick up and drop off students in the apartment complex or do they have to walk in? The unknown is not sitting well with me.

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #386
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynk View Post
I'm taking my DD in August as well. It still hasn't really sank in yet! I could use some advice as well- I feel for you. I'm sooo nervous about DD using the bus system in the wee hours (if she works late). There is no way she can bring her car this trip.

Does anyone know if there are lots of students on the buses? I'm worried about where she will be picked up and dropped off and if there will be people around in well lighted areas? Does the bus pick up and drop off students in the apartment complex or do they have to walk in? The unknown is not sitting well with me.
For all of my CPs (and will be for my upcoming CP), I didn't have a car, so had to use the buses. I never had too many problems with them (for the most part), and there were always other people on the buses. The buses drop off inside of Vista, and drop off right in front of Chatham. However, those at Patterson have to walk back (the buses do not stop at Patterson).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #387
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
For all of my CPs (and will be for my upcoming CP), I didn't have a car, so had to use the buses. I never had too many problems with them (for the most part), and there were always other people on the buses. The buses drop off inside of Vista, and drop off right in front of Chatham. However, those at Patterson have to walk back (the buses do not stop at Patterson).
Thank you! I will need to make sure she tries to stay at Vista or Chathom.

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #388
GreatWideSomewhere
Mouseketeer

Another thing to consider is that whenever I was getting off the buses after working into the early morning hours, there were always other people getting off with me, not to mention others out and around the complex.

My Mom worried about me at first too, but we did okay. Although, when one of my friend's parents learned we had to walk through the complex to get to our apartment, she told us to use the jugs of milk we had just bought to defend ourselves... It was pretty funny imagining what that might look like! Thank goodness we never ran into any problems.
GreatWideSomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #389
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWideSomewhere View Post
Another thing to consider is that whenever I was getting off the buses after working into the early morning hours, there were always other people getting off with me, not to mention others out and around the complex.

My Mom worried about me at first too, but we did okay. Although, when one of my friend's parents learned we had to walk through the complex to get to our apartment, she told us to use the jugs of milk we had just bought to defend ourselves... It was pretty funny imagining what that might look like! Thank goodness we never ran into any problems.
Milk jugs! I like that one!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #390
mrsmith
Earning My Ears

My daughter just finished the college program. She said riding on the bus was very safe, but........ if we had to do it over again, we would let her take a car. She was a character performer and went to all the parks. Sometimes it would take her over 90 minutes to get from her apartment at Chatham to her work spot, especially during the busy season. She had a great time and her only complaint was the bus system. Sometimes the bus would be late, one time it didn't show up at all, and the drivers were unkind (definately not Disney employees). She knew other cp's who had voiced their concerns to Disney, but nothing was ever done about it, and evidently it has been a problem for many years. CP's are just told to leave 2 hours early. On the plus side, she did read a lot of books sitting on the bus for so many hours! We are from a small town where you can drive anywhere in 10 minutes. She said she would never live in the big city because of the transportation.
mrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: