Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #196
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKED WILLY View Post
A Few Posts Back You Noted That You Had To Get Additional Coverage For You Daughter... My Daughter Can Be Covered On Our Policy Only If She Is Still Ft In School , As The Cp Program Is Counted As Only 6 Cr By Her School She Has To Take A Couple On Line Courses..., They Will Not Accept The Disney Courses Either...
My Question Is What Company Did You Get You Policy From ?? My Daughter Feels Two On Line Courses Will Be Too Much With A Ft Job Also.../

Thanks

Assurant - our regular State Farm agent was able to arrange it.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #197
WICKED WILLY
CRAZY FOR WDW

thanks
WICKED WILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #198
WICKED WILLY
CRAZY FOR WDW

message for GApeach0407

thanks... but who would she talk to regarding getting some xtra time for her course work... she isnt in the disney classes ...will they still give her some study time .??

thanks
WICKED WILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #199
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKED WILLY View Post
thanks... but who would she talk to regarding getting some xtra time for her course work... she isnt in the disney classes ...will they still give her some study time .??

thanks
I "heard" that you can get time off for non-disney classes, but I do not know anyone who actually got it. In most cases she'll get the same day off each week, so she should just plan on spending the whole day on homework and make sure she manages her other time off.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #200
mrsmith
Earning My Ears

I have a question about blackout dates. I am a school teacher and the only time we can visit out daughter is on springbreak which are blackout dates. I realize that she can not use her free passes to get us into the parks on these dates, but my question is can she get into the parks on those dates when she is not working? Thanks for your help.
mrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #201
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post
I have a question about blackout dates. I am a school teacher and the only time we can visit out daughter is on springbreak which are blackout dates. I realize that she can not use her free passes to get us into the parks on these dates, but my question is can she get into the parks on those dates when she is not working? Thanks for your help.
Yes. She should be able to get in with her ID.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #202
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

what are the black out dates specifically?

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #203
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
what are the black out dates specifically?
They are dates where the Maingate does not work (which means the CP, or CM, can't get people into the parks for free on those dates).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #204
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
They are dates where the Maingate does not work (which means the CP, or CM, can't get people into the parks for free on those dates).
thanks Joanna, but I was asking if you knew what the dates are for the blackout, I already understood what the term meant.

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #205
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
thanks Joanna, but I was asking if you knew what the dates are for the blackout, I already understood what the term meant.
It depends on the Park, and Management does reserve the right to add additional black out dates, as well as black out Cast IDs, based on projected Park Attendance.

For example, last here at the DLR, Management added 5 October as a Main Gate and Cast ID Blackout Day, due to the Miley Cyrus disa...*cough* I mean Party .

Walt Disney World Resort (Bay Lake, Florida)

Magic Kingdom Park:
  • 14-15 February
  • 3-17 April
  • 3 July - 1 August
  • 26-28 November
  • 24-31 December

Epcot:
  • 7-14 April
  • 24-31 December

Disney's Hollywood Studios:
  • 8, 9, 13-15 April
  • 3-5 July
  • 27-28 November
  • 26-31 December

Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
  • 15-16 February
  • 6-16 April
  • 27 November
  • 26-30 December

Disneyland Resort (Anaheim, California)

Disneyland Park
  • 1-3 January
  • 3-19 April
  • 4 July
  • 10 July - 16 August
  • 27-28 November
  • 5, 6, 12, 13, 19-31 December

Disney's California Adventure Park
  • 3-19 April
  • 25-31 December

Disneyland Resort Paris (Marne-la-Vallée, France)
Contact Disneyland Resort Paris directly for current Blackout Dates for both Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park.

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People's Republic of China)

Hong Kong Disneyland:
  • 1-26, 31 January
  • 1 February
  • 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31 October
  • 19-31 December

Tokyo Disney Resort (Urayasu City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan)
Walt Disney Company Main Entrance Passes are not valid for entry to either Tokyo Disneyland Park or to Tokyo DisneySea Park

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..

Last edited by glendalais; 01-26-2009 at 12:11 AM.
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #206
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post
Walt Disney World Resort (Bay Lake, Florida)

Magic Kingdom Park:
  • 14-15 February
  • 3-17 April
  • 3 July - 1 August
  • 26-28 November
  • 24-31 December

Epcot:
  • 7-14 April
  • 24-31 December

Disney's Hollywood Studios:
  • 8, 9, 13-15 April
  • 3-5 July
  • 27-28 November
  • 26-31 December

Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
  • 15-16 February
  • 6-16 April
  • 27 November
  • 26-30 December
...I hope you didn't know that off the top of your head!
So I guess it's a good thing to do CP during the fall, because you don't have to deal with not being able to invite people down to go anywhere during the first half of April... Thanksgiving and Christmas blackout isn't that bad, and I expected that anyway. I'm surprised New Year's Day itself isn't on there though.. I thought that would have been busy too.
ZeroToHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #207
ptc
Parent of Spring '08 CP participant

One parent's persperctive

I dropped my daughter off last week in Orlando and thought I'd share observations that might help other parents plan.

My overall impression of the check-in process is very favorable -- it's a well run program, at least based on what we experienced the first couple of days.

We got there on Tuesday -- her check-in time was Wednesday morning. We had flown down, so there were certain things we didn't pack that we bought that first day -- towels, sheets, pillows, bulky stuff like that.

WEdnesday morning, check-in was at 9:00 -- we got there at 8:30. She had already connected with three other CPers via Facebook, so they were set in terms of roommates -- I don't know how it works if you go there without having picked a roommate ahead of time.

The process of checking in took about 90 minutes -- they meet their roommates, find out where they are going to live, get their keys, and have a criminal background check. While she was checking in, there was a separate place for parents to gather and do things like set up automatic payroll deposit, pick up some reading material geared towards parents and families, and view a model apartment. There also was a presentation for Disney parents.

When she was done with check in, we drove over to her apartment. The check-in is at Vista Way -- she's living at Patterson Court which is about a mile or so away. Patterson Court is right across the way from Chatham. all three complexes are laid out similarly -- each complex has15 to 30 buildings, all three or four stories, each with about 15 apartments. Each also is a gated community, meaning that no one gets through the front gate (the only entrance) without a pass or ID.

My daughter is in a two bedroom apartment. Each bedroom has its own bathroom and a closet that is shared. There's also a combination living room, dining room and kitchen. The apartments come furnished with very basic things -- beds, nightstands, a shared dresser with mirror in the bedrooms. The living room has a sofa, matching chair, coffee table, two end tables, and a small desk with chair (this can fit a desktop computer and printer). There's a dining room table with four chairs.

The kitchen has a basic set of pots and pans as well as plates, bowls, cutlery, glasses, cups, can opener, cooking utensils. There's a microwave, a nice size refrigerator with freezer, eletric stove, and dishwasher.

Things we bought after she moved in -- a toaster oven, a mattress pad (the mattresses are twin size, plastic covered, very ligh and basic), a bulletin board (you can't attach anything to the wall), and a lamp for her bedside table.

Patterson is the newest complex -- the apartment was so clean I thought that maybe she was the first one to live there, but I found out later that people had just moved out two days before -- they cleaned it very well.

Later on on that first full day, my daughter went to a meeting at one of the complexes to go over all the housing rules and regulations -- this took abot two hours. Then she was free the rest of the day.

The next day, she went to a 10:0o meeting to find out where she was working and to sign up for classes. This meeting took about 90 minutes, also. Then she was free for the next 24 hours (I left town later that second day.)

So, as a parent, if you are trying to figure out when you can see your student those first couple of days -- the first day they are busy about 90 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the afternoon, starting about 3:00. and the second day they are busy about 90 minutes in the morning and then free. The third day is the Traditions session, which lasts about four hours (I had left town by then).

Hope this helps.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #208
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
I dropped my daughter off last week in Orlando and thought I'd share observations that might help other parents plan.

My overall impression of the check-in process is very favorable -- it's a well run program, at least based on what we experienced the first couple of days.

We got there on Tuesday -- her check-in time was Wednesday morning. We had flown down, so there were certain things we didn't pack that we bought that first day -- towels, sheets, pillows, bulky stuff like that.

WEdnesday morning, check-in was at 9:00 -- we got there at 8:30. She had already connected with three other CPers via Facebook, so they were set in terms of roommates -- I don't know how it works if you go there without having picked a roommate ahead of time.

The process of checking in took about 90 minutes -- they meet their roommates, find out where they are going to live, get their keys, and have a criminal background check. While she was checking in, there was a separate place for parents to gather and do things like set up automatic payroll deposit, pick up some reading material geared towards parents and families, and view a model apartment. There also was a presentation for Disney parents.

When she was done with check in, we drove over to her apartment. The check-in is at Vista Way -- she's living at Patterson Court which is about a mile or so away. Patterson Court is right across the way from Chatham. all three complexes are laid out similarly -- each complex has15 to 30 buildings, all three or four stories, each with about 15 apartments. Each also is a gated community, meaning that no one gets through the front gate (the only entrance) without a pass or ID.

My daughter is in a two bedroom apartment. Each bedroom has its own bathroom and a closet that is shared. There's also a combination living room, dining room and kitchen. The apartments come furnished with very basic things -- beds, nightstands, a shared dresser with mirror in the bedrooms. The living room has a sofa, matching chair, coffee table, two end tables, and a small desk with chair (this can fit a desktop computer and printer). There's a dining room table with four chairs.

The kitchen has a basic set of pots and pans as well as plates, bowls, cutlery, glasses, cups, can opener, cooking utensils. There's a microwave, a nice size refrigerator with freezer, eletric stove, and dishwasher.

Things we bought after she moved in -- a toaster oven, a mattress pad (the mattresses are twin size, plastic covered, very ligh and basic), a bulletin board (you can't attach anything to the wall), and a lamp for her bedside table.

Patterson is the newest complex -- the apartment was so clean I thought that maybe she was the first one to live there, but I found out later that people had just moved out two days before -- they cleaned it very well.

Later on on that first full day, my daughter went to a meeting at one of the complexes to go over all the housing rules and regulations -- this took abot two hours. Then she was free the rest of the day.

The next day, she went to a 10:0o meeting to find out where she was working and to sign up for classes. This meeting took about 90 minutes, also. Then she was free for the next 24 hours (I left town later that second day.)

So, as a parent, if you are trying to figure out when you can see your student those first couple of days -- the first day they are busy about 90 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the afternoon, starting about 3:00. and the second day they are busy about 90 minutes in the morning and then free. The third day is the Traditions session, which lasts about four hours (I had left town by then).

Hope this helps.
Very good -- just one comment though - there are several housing meeting times - my daughter checked in during the morning (before 9 like yours) yet her housing meeting time was 1:00 so she was done by 2:20 her first day.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #209
ptc
Parent of Spring '08 CP participant

I figured there must be several different slots for check-in, the housing meeting, traditions, etc., just because of all the students arriving in the same week. Still, it all went very smoothly.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #210
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post

How did you go about picking the complex you want to live in? Or do they assign you one? And can you pick how many roommates you want? For instance, say I have a roommate decided, and we want to have a one-bedroom... can we get that just by asking?
ZeroToHero is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: