Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #1771
jce2
Mouseketeer

Things must be moving fast at Disney right now! My daughter applied for Fall Advantage on Friday, almost immediately got the web-interview, finished it last night and already has the phone interview set up. As a parent I have mixed emotions but take a great deal of comfort that she has a long-time friend already down there. She is hoping for a hospitality (hotel) position.

WDW 1990, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2013
DL 1997, 1999
Next up? WDW in December 2014!!

jce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #1772
SilverMickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jce2 View Post
Things must be moving fast at Disney right now! My daughter applied for Fall Advantage on Friday, almost immediately got the web-interview, finished it last night and already has the phone interview set up. As a parent I have mixed emotions but take a great deal of comfort that she has a long-time friend already down there. She is hoping for a hospitality (hotel) position.
I wish this were the case for my son, He applied however has not been given the chance for a web based interview. The waiting is killing us! I hope he can move on with this as he is a great young man, and a Disney nut!

Good luck to your daughter!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #1773
mccreel
Mouseketeer

Fall advantage dates

My son has applied for the fall college plan and has his phone interview on Monday. Everything I can see just says Fall Advantage from August through early January. Anyone know how far into January it goes, what date is usually the ending of it? Just wondering because we need to coordinate him going back to college after he finishes the program (If he were to get in).

Thanks
Melissa
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #1774
jobro912
Mouseketeer

Fall Advantage runs mid May/June to early January. Fall runs August to early January. Both end the same day. My son just did Fall 2013 and their last day/checkout of housing day was January 3.
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #1775
hightown
I feel need for speed--Rockin' Roller Coaster

Joining the other parents again in the 'waiting room'.

DD applied for WDW the first day that applications opened. She got to skip the WBI since she applied last program (Spring 2014) and passed that. She applied for Spring really late and was held on a waitlist into December but they had everything filled. So this time, applied first day. She did her personal interview on Monday and now we simply wait.

I think several of her high interest roles are hard to get - concierge, hospitality, photopass, transportation. Also attactions and merchandising.
But she's pretty much open to anything except housekeeping.

She's already talked to her advisor and if she's able to do the program will get 3 internship credits but will need to take 3 on line courses through the school so that she can keep her scholarship. That's scary considering the hours they work during Disney's high season.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say HI while we all wait this out.

Sharon

18 TRIPS BETWEEN 11/99 AND 06/08. Have stayed at: POFQx3, POR, WLx2, BWI, YCx2, AKLx3, POLY, CBR, CSR, POPx2, SSR, Dolphinx2, HARD ROCKx2, Royal Pacific

DISNEY WONDER 5/12/05: WWTBAM MILLION POINT WINNER #97 CRUISE
hightown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #1776
mobish
Mouseketeer

Good luck to your daughter! The waiting is so hard, been through it three times. My daughter did two CPs then finally landed her dream position as a PI at Fairy Tale Weddings. We will go through it again as she tries for a full time position when her PI ends in June. No matter what happens from here this has been an incredible experience for her. There is nothing like WDW on your resume.
mobish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #1777
carol-lamb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightown View Post
Joining the other parents again in the 'waiting room'.

She's already talked to her advisor and if she's able to do the program will get 3 internship credits but will need to take 3 on line courses through the school so that she can keep her scholarship. That's scary considering the hours they work during Disney's high season.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say HI while we all wait this out.

Sharon
My daughter took 3 on line courses through her university this past summer while doing the CP. She had no trouble and still had time for plenty of fun. In fact, she went seasonal and is planning on going down to work this summer and will be taking more on line classes to stay on course to graduate in December.

Good luck to your daughter. Hopefully she won't have too much of a wait. My daughter worked at Kilimanjaro Safaris and loved it. She extended twice. She is going down in a couple of weeks to work during her Spring break. I think I have lost her to Disney!
Spring '86, Summer '89, Spring '92, Summer '97, Summer '98, Summer '01, Spring '03, Summer '04, Summer '05, Christmas '05, Summer '06, Christmas '06, Summer '07, Christmas '07, Summer '08, Christmas '08, Winter '09, Summer '09, Fall '09, Christmas '09, Easter '10, May '10, Summer '10, Fall '10, Christmas '10, Spring '11, Summer '11, Fall '11, Christmas '11, March '12, Summer '12, Fall '12, Christmas '12, January '13, March '13, April '13, June '13, Disneyland August '13, January '14, March '14, June '14, July '14
carol-lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #1778
chefmb
DIS Veteran

Hi! My son is in his last semester and this will be his only chance to apply for the CP. He passed the WBI very quickly and has his phone interview in just over a week. He did not get into an overseas teaching program that he was interested in, and this was the other thing he really was hoping to do. Fingers crossed! It's nice to find a thread with other parents in the same position!
chefmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #1779
dmsr8
Earning My Ears

My DD is applying for Fall Advantage. Her phone interview is Mar. 1st, character/performer audition Mar. 11th. I have a few (sorry, more like a lot!) questions as a possible 1st time CP parent:
1) Coming from Utah and no family/friends nearby - how highly would you recommend we fly out with her to get her settled? (she lived at college and took care of all expenses her 1st year...BUT, she was only 30 min. away from home and visited about 1-2x/mth. She is 18.)
2) Since she is doing the audition, will she hear only after all auditions are finished in April or could she hear sooner? Do they have phone interview results at the audition (if she does well on both) could she be told then?
3) If she reaches 5'3" on her good days what does that make her Disney height? The thread talked about fur, fairy, and princess height but what about parade performers? (She is a Dance Major and to get college credit for her scholarship she has to have a related role.) Also, do any of the characters dance so that would count?
Thanks for all who have contributed to this thread! It's a great resource.
dmsr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #1780
leeg229
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsr8 View Post
My DD is applying for Fall Advantage. Her phone interview is Mar. 1st, character/performer audition Mar. 11th. I have a few (sorry, more like a lot!) questions as a possible 1st time CP parent:
1) Coming from Utah and no family/friends nearby - how highly would you recommend we fly out with her to get her settled? (she lived at college and took care of all expenses her 1st year...BUT, she was only 30 min. away from home and visited about 1-2x/mth. She is 18.)
2) Since she is doing the audition, will she hear only after all auditions are finished in April or could she hear sooner? Do they have phone interview results at the audition (if she does well on both) could she be told then?
3) If she reaches 5'3" on her good days what does that make her Disney height? The thread talked about fur, fairy, and princess height but what about parade performers? (She is a Dance Major and to get college credit for her scholarship she has to have a related role.) Also, do any of the characters dance so that would count?
Thanks for all who have contributed to this thread! It's a great resource.
1. I'd say, if it's convenient (time-wise and financially) do it, but it is definitely not necessary. Some people like to show up completely alone and make friends right off the bat and others like to spend time with their families for a few days before venturing off on their own to make friends. Ask HER opinion too.
2. She will not hear anything at her audition. It is possible that she could be accepted to the program BEFORE the audition as a performer pending her audition. If she doesn't perform well at the audition her role will be switched to another role.
3. I'm not sure what height you need to be for a dance in a parade or show but I THINK you need to be on the taller side. Someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #1781
dmsr8
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg229 View Post
1. I'd say, if it's convenient (time-wise and financially) do it, but it is definitely not necessary. Some people like to show up completely alone and make friends right off the bat and others like to spend time with their families for a few days before venturing off on their own to make friends. Ask HER opinion too.
2. She will not hear anything at her audition. It is possible that she could be accepted to the program BEFORE the audition as a performer pending her audition. If she doesn't perform well at the audition her role will be switched to another role.
3. I'm not sure what height you need to be for a dance in a parade or show but I THINK you need to be on the taller side. Someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks! I did ask her take on it and while she would love help (especially transportation) those first few days, her first choice is for us to visit in the fall since she would be gone for almost 8 mths. Good to know about the program acceptance. At least we would know how she did on her phone interview. One of the other college board threads had a post of someone cut at 5'6" because they didn't have openings for that height. So hopefully this year they need a lot of petite dancers.
dmsr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #1782
chefmb
DIS Veteran

DS Got Accepted!

My DS just got his acceptance email today. He had his phone interview Saturday and we were prepared to wait 2-3 weeks before hearing anything. He got his email today for Fall 2014--Quick Service Food and Beverage. I'm very excited for him!
chefmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #1783
reesecup
Mouseketeer

I haven't read through all of these posts yet but wanted to subscribe to this because our DD just got accepted yesterday!! I don't think she knows what job she has been assigned yet because she hasn't gone in to "accept" yet. Do you find that out after she does that? Also, does it affect any with student loans that need to be paid back? Can't remember if it's just after she graduates or if this would mess things up? Thanks! She listed these as her top job choices: Full service Food and Beverage (she's got experience as a waitress which I know she won't get but hoping maybe a hostess position), Character Attendant (I've heard this can actually get stressful so I don't know), Character role(she goes to audition soon) and attractions. After things I've read, I told her I think I would have gone for custodial. Sounds like they have a lot more freedom and fun but I don't know!
reesecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #1784
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesecup View Post
I haven't read through all of these posts yet but wanted to subscribe to this because our DD just got accepted yesterday!! I don't think she knows what job she has been assigned yet because she hasn't gone in to "accept" yet. Do you find that out after she does that? Also, does it affect any with student loans that need to be paid back? Can't remember if it's just after she graduates or if this would mess things up? Thanks! She listed these as her top job choices: Full service Food and Beverage (she's got experience as a waitress which I know she won't get but hoping maybe a hostess position), Character Attendant (I've heard this can actually get stressful so I don't know), Character role(she goes to audition soon) and attractions. After things I've read, I told her I think I would have gone for custodial. Sounds like they have a lot more freedom and fun but I don't know!
She should know her job. DD called me excited she was accepted, I asked what job and she said that the email didn't say. Then she went back on the computer, went to her dashboard or a link and it gave her the job and the wage. We have no first hand experience with loans but this is a college internship and should not affect that. Once she graduates they should kick in for payment.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #1785
reesecup
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
She should know her job. DD called me excited she was accepted, I asked what job and she said that the email didn't say. Then she went back on the computer, went to her dashboard or a link and it gave her the job and the wage. We have no first hand experience with loans but this is a college internship and should not affect that. Once she graduates they should kick in for payment.
Oh, thank you for that information! I told her what you said so she went back to look again and it was there! She is in Full Service Food and Beverage (kind of figured that one). Before I go back to reading on these posts, are there any parents/students who have worked Food and Beverage and have any insight? Will she be working pretty late hours? I'm guessing she will get a hostess type position going by the description. Thank you!!
reesecup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: