Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #151
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdisney44 View Post
Thanks Liz - you're a lifesaver!!

Do you, by chance, know the zip code? I don't know if there's more than one zip code for Orlando like there is for Chicago. Thanks!

There are a ton of zip codes -- let me think here 32821.

And actually when I mailed packages to my daughter I used the address and then the town was Lake Buena Vista, FL but occasionally the post office would cross that out and put in Orlando so I think either is fine.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #152
lovesdisney44
Mouseketeer

Thanks Liz. How did you daughter like staying in Vista?

Karen
lovesdisney44 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #153
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdisney44 View Post
Thanks Liz. How did you daughter like staying in Vista?

Karen
She did not have a car and really liked being right across the street from a Walgreens. That was the deciding point for her. I understand there is a Walgreens somewhat close to Chatham but its not right across the street and a doable walk at midnight ... this is literally right there.

The apartments are fine just not as shiny brand new as the others. I think the whole party atmosphere is overdone. I would call it an active complex with alot of people out and about but she was not subjected to constant partying or noise.

She did visit friends at the other complexes and thought they were nice but she was happy with the availability of Walgreens and the other stores/restaurants that were walking distance of Vista.

Liz
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #154
Goofymommaof2
Earning My Ears

Hotel management

Do students get an opportunity to ask to be in a hotel? My daughter would like to major in hotel management. Can't think of a better experience than Disney!

Off Prop 12/31/97
POP 8/12/05
AKL and POP 2/10/08
POP and AS 8/12/10

[DM] [DD 19] [DD 19]

Goofymommaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #155
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofymommaof2 View Post
Do students get an opportunity to ask to be in a hotel? My daughter would like to major in hotel management. Can't think of a better experience than Disney!
If they are in Hospitality they often work in a hotel - but that role is hard to get.

If they are in food service or merchandise they might be placed in a hotel as well.

Liz
Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #156
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
There are a ton of zip codes -- let me think here 32821.

And actually when I mailed packages to my daughter I used the address and then the town was Lake Buena Vista, FL but occasionally the post office would cross that out and put in Orlando so I think either is fine.

Liz
The CP apartments are in Orlando, not Lake Buena Vista... so make sure to put Orlando.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #157
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
The CP apartments are in Orlando, not Lake Buena Vista... so make sure to put Orlando.
Actually the address they gave my daughter to use for Vista did use Lake Buena Vista in it - there was no mention or Orlando - this was last year --

Liz
Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #158
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually the address they gave my daughter to use for Vista did use Lake Buena Vista in it - there was no mention or Orlando - this was last year --

Liz
They are all considered Orlando now. Lake Buena Vista is only Disney property, since we're not on their property we're not linked with them. The Lake Buena Vista zip code is 32830.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #159
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Time for college work and working at WDW?

Another CP parent question............

DD has been accepted into the program and very excited, but as a family we are wondering if she will be able to handle taking online courses at her current college while at WDW. Has anyone else had a child take online classes, and how were they able to juggle their work schedule? Do you think it is manageable?

Staying enrolled in college is a priority, and I wanted to get any feedback to ease her mind or help her figure out what to do. I know being accepted into the CP is an opportunity of a lifetime, but I feel going to college when your young (can live at home rent free, brain works better, etc) is an opportunity of a lifetime as well.

I read that the CP students get time off to go to WDW classes, but can they ask for time off to focus on their local college courses? We verified with her school that they won't give her credit for WDW courses, and she would have to take online classes in order to keep her enrollment status.

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC (x2), WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston): Disney Fantasy 10/15 (Eastern Caribbean). DVC Owner - OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #160
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynk View Post
Another CP parent question............

DD has been accepted into the program and very excited, but as a family we are wondering if she will be able to handle taking online courses at her current college while at WDW. Has anyone else had a child take online classes, and how were they able to juggle their work schedule? Do you think it is manageable?

Staying enrolled in college is a priority, and I wanted to get any feedback to ease her mind or help her figure out what to do. I know being accepted into the CP is an opportunity of a lifetime, but I feel going to college when your young (can live at home rent free, brain works better, etc) is an opportunity of a lifetime as well.

I read that the CP students get time off to go to WDW classes, but can they ask for time off to focus on their local college courses? We verified with her school that they won't give her credit for WDW courses, and she would have to take online classes in order to keep her enrollment status.
Honestly I think it would be very difficult - I think a full load of classes would be impossible - one to two would be doable but she won't be able to get time off for them - she has to have complete availability for the CP.

Depending on where your daughter is placed she might be working lots of hours. One semester my daughter worked a busy attraction at Epcot and many weeks she worked 50 plus hours. Her second semester she worked at AK which has shorter park hours and didn't work as many hours. That said she always did have two days off a week so if you are really disciplined you could spend your days off doing the school work but then you would miss out on alot of what else the CP has to offer.

My daughter returned to college after returning home but there was no problem with having to maintain an enrollment status so I can't comment on that but she did get right back into the swing of college after being off for the two semesters.

Liz
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #161
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Honestly I think it would be very difficult - I think a full load of classes would be impossible - one to two would be doable but she won't be able to get time off for them - she has to have complete availability for the CP.

Depending on where your daughter is placed she might be working lots of hours. One semester my daughter worked a busy attraction at Epcot and many weeks she worked 50 plus hours. Her second semester she worked at AK which has shorter park hours and didn't work as many hours. That said she always did have two days off a week so if you are really disciplined you could spend your days off doing the school work but then you would miss out on alot of what else the CP has to offer.

My daughter returned to college after returning home but there was no problem with having to maintain an enrollment status so I can't comment on that but she did get right back into the swing of college after being off for the two semesters.

Liz
Thanks Liz for your feedback. DD might have take only 1-2 fairly easy classes, but I'm still not sure if she would have much time off to do the work. I imagine her schedule will be demanding due to the role she was offered. One class might be all she can handle?

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC (x2), WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston): Disney Fantasy 10/15 (Eastern Caribbean). DVC Owner - OKW 2010
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #162
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Liz for your feedback. DD might have take only 1-2 fairly easy classes, but I'm still not sure if she would have much time off to do the work. I imagine her schedule will be demanding due to the role she was offered. One class might be all she can handle?
What role is she in?

One class I am sure would be manageable assuming there is no time they have to be on the computer all at the same time. Two is probably doable depending on the whole self discipline issue.

I have a MS and I would have a difficult time taking online courses while doing the CP -- not to say there aren't plenty of personalities out there that can handle it - I just know it would not be ideal for me to have done something like that.

Liz
Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #163
razzery
January 5th!

Quote:
I have heard of people taking up to 4 online classes and being fine with it. I plan on taking 3 online classes. I remember someone saying that you can register your classes with the recruiters once your down there so you can get certain times every week off to do homework.
razzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #164
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What role is she in?

One class I am sure would be manageable assuming there is no time they have to be on the computer all at the same time. Two is probably doable depending on the whole self discipline issue.

I have a MS and I would have a difficult time taking online courses while doing the CP -- not to say there aren't plenty of personalities out there that can handle it - I just know it would not be ideal for me to have done something like that.

Liz
She'll be doing QSF&B- it looks like if she goes college might have to be on the back burner for 1 semester.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #165
tlynk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzery View Post
I remember someone saying that you can register your classes with the recruiters once your down there so you can get certain times every week off to do homework.
This is good to know- if she decides to take 1-2 classes I will have her register with her recruiter. Thanks.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: