Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #1531
Kaler131
DIS Veteran
 
Kaler131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 984.61 from "The Mouse"
Posts: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Good luck to them , my dd checks in on the June 3rd
__________________
Me DH DD19DS16DS13 DS10 DDog

WDW Trips: Offsite 1984,1994,1997,2000 ; ASMu 1999,2009, 2012 ;ASsp 2001 ; Poly/OKW 2002 ; POP 2005,2006,2007, 2008, 2012, 2013; HRH ; DLR 2012; AOA 2013; POFQ 2013; CBR 2013; BCR 2013
Kaler131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #1532
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,019
DISboards Moderator

Well, dd just finished up her first year of college. She is more convinced that she wants to apply for the DCP in her senior year and hopefully be able to participate in that as soon as possible after graduation. Then, after time in the CP, she hopes to be offered a job and be at WDW for awhile.
She is a theatre major....so, any advice from parents with theatre major kids that did this?? She knows that she most likely won't get into entertainment....yes, she is pretty talented vocally and is a decent dancer, but she is 5'10'' with red hair, so realizes she will be limited.
I'm curious as to what her timing would be in senior year, with her graduation in mid-May. What programs would she be able to apply for?
__________________
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #1533
Wishes Count
I Make the Magic! CP 2010
 
Wishes Count's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Well, dd just finished up her first year of college. She is more convinced that she wants to apply for the DCP in her senior year and hopefully be able to participate in that as soon as possible after graduation. Then, after time in the CP, she hopes to be offered a job and be at WDW for awhile.
She is a theatre major....so, any advice from parents with theatre major kids that did this?? She knows that she most likely won't get into entertainment....yes, she is pretty talented vocally and is a decent dancer, but she is 5'10'' with red hair, so realizes she will be limited.
I'm curious as to what her timing would be in senior year, with her graduation in mid-May. What programs would she be able to apply for?
If she wants to apply for the program immediately following her graduation she would be applying for the Fall program. Applications for this program are usually released in late Jan or early Feb so she would apply at that time during her senior year.

Entertainment can be hard to get into. The CP only offers character performers which you need to attend an audition for. Your daughter might actually have a better chance because she is 5'10'' but it really depends on what they are looking for at the time.
__________________
Wishes Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1534
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Well, dd just finished up her first year of college. She is more convinced that she wants to apply for the DCP in her senior year and hopefully be able to participate in that as soon as possible after graduation. Then, after time in the CP, she hopes to be offered a job and be at WDW for awhile.
She is a theatre major....so, any advice from parents with theatre major kids that did this?? She knows that she most likely won't get into entertainment....yes, she is pretty talented vocally and is a decent dancer, but she is 5'10'' with red hair, so realizes she will be limited.
I'm curious as to what her timing would be in senior year, with her graduation in mid-May. What programs would she be able to apply for?
Also I've never heard of anyone being offered a job from Disney. You have to do like everyone else and go to casting about 6 weeks prior to your program end and apply for different positions. The only time I heard of offers are very high up positions and people who are already in the company and already on transfer lists when a new project comes up.

If she wants to stay at WDW after it is worth trying for PIs and MIs as well as the CP. I tried for all 3 an first round got the CP an second time got further into PI an MI interview process but was only accepted for extension on my CP. I didn't take it but rather went seasonal with my position.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #1535
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,019
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
Also I've never heard of anyone being offered a job from Disney. You have to do like everyone else and go to casting about 6 weeks prior to your program end and apply for different positions. The only time I heard of offers are very high up positions and people who are already in the company and already on transfer lists when a new project comes up.

If she wants to stay at WDW after it is worth trying for PIs and MIs as well as the CP. I tried for all 3 an first round got the CP an second time got further into PI an MI interview process but was only accepted for extension on my CP. I didn't take it but rather went seasonal with my position.
I think 'offered' was the wrong choice of word!! I think I actually meant more like 'she wants to try to get a job there and stay on'!!
__________________
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #1536
jobro912
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Baytown, Texas
Posts: 154

My son is a Theatre major and just finished his freshman year. He will be going for the Fall 2013 program on August 12. He is going to be working custodial. So it has nothing to do with his degree, but does involve a lot of guest interaction. He did audition for character. As someone else said, it depends a lot on height and what they are looking for at the time. He measured 5'11" I think, and progressed through the whole audition and wasn't taken. In his case I think he was too tall, and too short. LOL. Too tall for a lot of characters, and too short for the really tall ones.

If she will be graduating in May, she will be able to apply for Fall or Fall Advantage. Fall runs August-January 3 this year. Advantage runs May/June through January 3. Applications for this program opened in February this year.
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #1537
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro912
My son is a Theatre major and just finished his freshman year. He will be going for the Fall 2013 program on August 12. He is going to be working custodial. So it has nothing to do with his degree, but does involve a lot of guest interaction. He did audition for character. As someone else said, it depends a lot on height and what they are looking for at the time. He measured 5'11" I think, and progressed through the whole audition and wasn't taken. In his case I think he was too tall, and too short. LOL. Too tall for a lot of characters, and too short for the really tall ones.

If she will be graduating in May, she will be able to apply for Fall or Fall Advantage. Fall runs August-January 3 this year. Advantage runs May/June through January 3. Applications for this program opened in February this year.
Well, the LOTS of GUEST INTERACTION depends!!!! Depends on whether he gets a park or a resort!!! Not all custodial CPs get assigned to a park! Some get placed at resorts and there isn't nearly as much guest interaction there! Just sayin....
Speaking from first hand experience of DD who is currently there!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #1538
jobro912
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Baytown, Texas
Posts: 154

^^^ Yeah, that...here's hoping. He doesn't much care as long as he has that CM ID to get in on his days off.
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #1539
racefans44
Mouseketeer
 
racefans44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87

My son returned to Orlando and signed in last week to begin his second CP. He will be a lifeguard. His first program was wonderful and he is really looking forward working in a different position this time.
__________________
Hoosier Disney Fan!

racefans44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #1540
gasman61
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 99

Timing on day of check-in?

Sorry if this has been covered. I did scroll back through a couple of pages and did not see an answer.

My son checks in on May 27. I am wondering what sort of free time he will have on that day after check-in. We are planning to get supplies at Target or Walmart, but I am wondering if we would have time to get to a water park. We already have several non-expiring water park tickets.

Any advice about move in day from other parents would be appreciated!

Last edited by gasman61; 05-22-2013 at 08:33 AM.
gasman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #1541
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman61 View Post
Sorry if this has been covered. I did scroll back through a couple of pages and did not see an answer.

My son checks in on May 27. I am wondering what sort of free time he will have on that day after check-in. We are planning to get supplies at Target or Walmart, but I am wondering if we would have time to get to a water park. We already have several non-expiring water park tickets.

Any advice about move in day from other parents would be appreciated!
Day of check in wont be too much free time for water parks. I got to check in at 4 am sat around until 9 was out of casting and such by 11 and to a park by 12 but that was a park that was open until 11pm so I didn't feel like I was wasting a ticket. Also I was the first bus to casting and also had people unpacking my stuff while I was at casting so it is extremely hard to say if it is worth it.

The next day has loads if free time especially if he has the first housing meeting.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #1542
gasman61
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 99

Thanks for the reply. I am flying back home on the 2nd day, so that won't work for me. We actually might have enough time on the day before check-in.. if we get up and on the road in time! Will make that a priority now that I know we can't count on check-in day being enough time for a park.
gasman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #1543
pmdeve
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 706

When they have completed their College Proogram do they have a Graduation Ceremony?
pmdeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #1544
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdeve View Post
When they have completed their College Proogram do they have a Graduation Ceremony?
There is a graduation but it is for CPs only. Also it isn't like the read our names. We just go pick up our gift an ears and then get pictures. I didn't go I just picked it up as I was checking out.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #1545
gasman61
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 99

A couple of comments here

1. My understanding from the mom of an alumni is that there is a graduation ceremony, but it is only for the CP graduates. Parents cannot attend.

2. I did get my DS all settled in for his program this week. Check in was on Monday, and he left the Holiday Inn at 7:15am(with all his roommates, who had all stayed there) and walked to 8am check in. The students arriving were divided into several groups, and my son's group had a 10:30 bus to Casting. He was finished there (and for the day) and back to Vista Way at around 1:30pm. We went to lunch and shopping at Walmart and had plenty of time for getting him settled in his apartment.

3. On his 2nd day, everyone has a meeting at 10:45. My understanding is that it does not last too long, but if you are counting on your child driving you to the airport on day 2 I'd recommend an early morning or late afternoon flight.

4. I am pretty sure he (and all the roomies) are free on Day 3. If you want to spend a day with your child when they don't have any conflicts you will need to stay through this day. They do not receive their park passes (for themselves) until Traditions, so if you'd want to spend a day together in the parks you'd have to pay for your child this day.

5. Traditions is on Thursday. I am not sure how much time that takes since it hasn't yet happened. My son has actual work on Friday (although his roommates are completely free that day).

Hope this helps other parents trying to plan hotel stays/flight times! I think, if I could plan in hindsight, I would have scheduled my flight back on Thurs rather than Tues. I might have considered changing hotels after Monday, too, because the Holiday Inn is not the cheapest place to stay and has a pretty rotten location, traffic-wise. It was a very pleasant place to stay and is wonderfully convenient for the CP check-in, but after that process is done there is just plain too much traffic to pick this location over the thousands of other hotels in the city.
gasman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: