Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
rag10576
Earning My Ears

Disney buying rights back for Marvel

Looks like Disney bought back the rights from Paramount for 4 Marvel movies. Makes you wonder what long term plans are if they will eventually buy back the rights from Uni/comcast.
rag10576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

I was never into the marvel superheroes but I just watched the avengers the other night and loved that movie. I think they could do some great things with them
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

The Paramount rights were easy because they were for films that already exist, and Paramount has no ongoing stake in the Avengers wing of the Marvel movie universe.

Fox and Sony are far more difficult, nigh impossible. Fox has a very strong interest in maintaining the X-men universe and will continue to make films so long as they are reaping profit. As far as I know, their agreement allows them to keep the rights in perpetuity so long as they are actively making films.

Same deal with Sony and Spider-man.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Fox seems pretty committed to pulling off thier own Marvel movie universe. Fox recently brought Mark Millar into the fold to oversee linking the Fantastic Four reboot to the X-men universe to make a Fox Marvelverse, similar to how Whedon has been overseeing the Disney owned Marvelverse.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
Looks like Disney bought back the rights from Paramount for 4 Marvel movies. Makes you wonder what long term plans are if they will eventually buy back the rights from Uni/comcast.
When Disney acquired Marvel in December 2009 for $4.2 billion in cash and stock, Disney knew that that Marvel had movie deals with several studios and that Universal had the theme park rights east of the Mississippi for all the top Marvel characters.

Disney bought the distribution and marketing rights to 2012’s “Marvel’s The Avengers” and this year’s “Iron Man 3” from Paramount. Now Disney acquired the rights to four existing Marvel superhero movies (the first two Iron Man movies, "Thor," and "Captain America: The First Avenger") from Paramount.

I'm sure that the execs at Disney wish that Disney could reach mutually beneficial agreements with Fox and Sony too. So far, neither of those looks likely.

The theme park rights are another matter. Here's what I wrote earlier this year:
If Disney had owned Marvel back in the 1990s, it's doubtful there would now be a Marvel Super Hero Island at IoA.

However, the status quo of having Marvel Super Hero Island at IoA works well for Marvel (Disney) and Universal.

Universal invested a lot of money in 1998 and 1999 to build Marvel Super Hero Island. That investment has been paying off ever since. Although Harry Potter is now the "star" at IoA, the Marvel Super Hero Island helps to make IoA a full-day park with highly repeatable attractions.

Universal continues to have a top-notch immersive attraction in the form of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride, which was upgraded to digital 3-D projection. In addition, Marvel Super Hero Island also has timeless thrill rides that appeal to guests who like that sort of thing: Doctor Doom's Fearfall, The Incredible Hulk Coaster, and Storm Force Accelatron. IoA's Marvel section continues to be a popular themed land. And let's not forget the revenue from dining and merchandise.

Marvel (Disney) earns licensing income and merchandise revenue from the deal. It's a steady stream of pure profit for Marvel (Disney), without having to invest hundreds of millions of dollars to build something new. (Disney likes deals that provide pure profit.) It also keeps the characters in front of guests, helping to build an audience for new Marvel Studios movies.

If Disney wants to invest substantial capital in its own Marvel attractions, Disney (with its international partners) can do so at Disney parks California, France, Japan, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

It's good business for Universal to keep the status quo.

It's good business for Disney to keep the status quo.
For the reasons above, Disney buying out Universal's theme park rights to Marvel remains very unlikely.

Universal is required to sell Marvel merchandise at IoA. What a great deal for Disney! It means that Disney makes money off IoA guests.

Universal's Marvel right are for the comic book versions of the Marvel characters. If Disney develops its own Marvel theme park presence in California or elsewhere outside of Universal's region, Disney can go with the movies versions. That being said, the comic book versions are actually more timeless.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I basically agree with Horace.

My take is there will be three levels of expenses.

Not expensive at all (from Disney's view) - buy up and destroy all unsold merchandise Universal has that is Marvel themed (including bags and promotional materials that exist at the time.

Pretty expensive - to pay for the design and all expenses of re-theming all Marvel-related attractions.

Extremely expensive - to buy back the rights and the non-compete agreement.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Agreed with the above...this was solely about distribution rights of movies, and has zero to do with theme parks.

Distribution rights these days are something of a holdover from the old studio system. Nowadays the same company often is both the producer and the distributor, except for smaller studios like Marvel Studios, who needed a larger company as distributor. Now that Marvel Studios is part of Disney, it makes sense to bring it all in house, and then there are no questions about rights in the future as well.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

Im glad they are buying up the rights. I was confused when Avengers came out and you would find it all at Disney and Universal.

I think Disney does better merch, so Ill be happy to see some Marvel and Avengers stuff in the stores.

Its all about the toys for me.
Tinkerboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboy00 View Post
Im glad they are buying up the rights. I was confused when Avengers came out and you would find it all at Disney and Universal.

I think Disney does better merch, so Ill be happy to see some Marvel and Avengers stuff in the stores.

Its all about the toys for me.
Disney is not "buying up" anything new related to theme park rights or merchandise rights, beyond what Disney gained when it bought Marvel in December 2009. Universal owns the theme park rights east of the Mississippi, subject to certain terms and conditions.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

What movies are we talking about? What movies did Paramount have rights to?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
The ones they already distributed - Iron Man/Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America I believe.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Darkwing981
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and of course The Avengers.
Darkwing981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing981 View Post
Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and of course The Avengers.
Disney purchased back The Avengers quite some time ago, well before the release of the movie, along with Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 2 was the fourth movie in this package.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Agreed with the above...this was solely about distribution rights of movies, and has zero to do with theme parks.

Distribution rights these days are something of a holdover from the old studio system. Nowadays the same company often is both the producer and the distributor, except for smaller studios like Marvel Studios, who needed a larger company as distributor. Now that Marvel Studios is part of Disney, it makes sense to bring it all in house, and then there are no questions about rights in the future as well.
I'm going to disagree.... slightly. (Assuming we are talking about the Marvel purchase in general, and not this specific buyback).

Besides the cash-cow that Marvel Studios movies are currently, A secondary reason for Disney's Marvel purchase was the ownership of the back-animation catalog. The timing of the purchase coincided with Disney's rebranding of their ToonDisney Cable network to the boy-centric DisneyXD. The Marvel purchase instantly gave Disney a massive amount of programming that would fit the new target demographic for this channel's programming schedule.

So IMHO, the deal wasn't JUST about the Movies... But it was all about Media. There was the obvious theatrical movie angles, but there was also a large factor in Disney increasing it's catalog of IP which targetted the young male demographic. [something that had been lacking as the Disney Channel started skewing dramatically towards the young Girl demographic with it's programming, and the marketting of the 'Disney Princess' and Faries lines had grown]

But the Theme Park rights.... down at the bottom of the considerations.

(Honestly.... I can also see this same logic and priority list being applied to the Lucasfilm purchase.)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I'm going to disagree.... slightly. (Assuming we are talking about the Marvel purchase in general, and not this specific buyback).

Besides the cash-cow that Marvel Studios movies are currently, A secondary reason for Disney's Marvel purchase was the ownership of the back-animation catalog. The timing of the purchase coincided with Disney's rebranding of their ToonDisney Cable network to the boy-centric DisneyXD. The Marvel purchase instantly gave Disney a massive amount of programming that would fit the new target demographic for this channel's programming schedule.

So IMHO, the deal wasn't JUST about the Movies... But it was all about Media. There was the obvious theatrical movie angles, but there was also a large factor in Disney increasing it's catalog of IP which targetted the young male demographic. [something that had been lacking as the Disney Channel started skewing dramatically towards the young Girl demographic with it's programming, and the marketting of the 'Disney Princess' and Faries lines had grown]

But the Theme Park rights.... down at the bottom of the considerations.

(Honestly.... I can also see this same logic and priority list being applied to the Lucasfilm purchase.)
No, I was talking about the buyback of distribution right of the four movies from Paramount...

I agree that Disney purchased Marvel for everything that came with it...I was only referring to Marvel Studios specifically with regards to distribution rights of movie/TV properties.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: