Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Dustless Cat Litter that Really Works??

We have 2 cats and always seem to have problems with cat litter. Specifically, whatever room the litter boxes are in gets covered with a layer of litter-dust and it also spreads outside the box. It's gross.

Currently we use Scoop Away. I've tried the crystal litter but then we just ended up with little crystal balls all over our linolium/hardwood floors.

What do you use and does it work:

1) Odors
2) Dust-free
3) Little to no particles spreading

THANK YOU!!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
MsLeFever
WPASADI II Co-Winner
Wants to be the #1 WPASADI!
Won't beg for a tag but will rewrite disco songs!
Eating chocolate is a good cure for anything and everything!

My felines and I are "Feline Pine" fans - not too dusty - not stinky AT ALL (and I am not always very good about scooping)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

My cats are addicted to Ever Clean, which is unfortunately dusty. (Tried once to switch to "World's Best Cat Litter" and immediate terrible punishment for me - peeing and pooping on the bed!! It was great for spill and dust control but very unhappy in cat world.) I have found that if I take the box outside when I add or refill, and pour from as high up as I can, at least some of the dust wafts out in the pour. Ever Clean is a high quality scoopable product with good odor control. I have found it helps to put a straw or otherwise perforated mat under and around the box to catch and control some of the spillage.
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Calliaz
DIS Veteran

Will your cats use the covered boxes? This cuts down on dust and odors. I have the big covered boxes (from Target) and we fill them with the non-clumping Fresh Step. We have a little plastic mat in front of each box that cuts out a lot of the stray bits. We don't scoop the pans daily. We just dump and replace the litter once a week.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Ugh, Scoop Away is the WORST for dust. We used it for so long b/c you could get it cheaply at costco. Finally it occurred to me that maybe litter wasn't supposed to be this dusty (durrrrrr...I'm a doofus). We've tried a few things...learned that 98% dust-free is largely BS (really disliked the Exquisite brand from Petsmart -- still very dusty). Right now we're trying out Arm & Hammer and have been pleased so far. But it's still not perfect. I accept that with any scoopable clay there will be some dust, but haven't liked any of the non-clay alternatives so far (pine, etc). Still hoping for some new invention.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLeFever View Post
My felines and I are "Feline Pine" fans - not too dusty - not stinky AT ALL (and I am not always very good about scooping)
I was wondering about the pine...may need to just try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
My cats are addicted to Ever Clean, which is unfortunately dusty. (Tried once to switch to "World's Best Cat Litter" and immediate terrible punishment for me - peeing and pooping on the bed!! It was great for spill and dust control but very unhappy in cat world.) I have found that if I take the box outside when I add or refill, and pour from as high up as I can, at least some of the dust wafts out in the pour. Ever Clean is a high quality scoopable product with good odor control. I have found it helps to put a straw or otherwise perforated mat under and around the box to catch and control some of the spillage.
Darn these dusty cat litters!! Yeah, I figured my cats may revolt against me switching litters...may need to incorporate the new litter slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliaz View Post
Will your cats use the covered boxes? This cuts down on dust and odors. I have the big covered boxes (from Target) and we fill them with the non-clumping Fresh Step. We have a little plastic mat in front of each box that cuts out a lot of the stray bits. We don't scoop the pans daily. We just dump and replace the litter once a week.
We haven't tried a covered box, but I'd be willing to give it a try. We had the automatic litter box but the motors on 2 of them gave out after 9 months. That's too expensive!

We try to empty them both every day but intentions are definitely different than actions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
Ugh, Scoop Away is the WORST for dust. We used it for so long b/c you could get it cheaply at costco. Finally it occurred to me that maybe litter wasn't supposed to be this dusty (durrrrrr...I'm a doofus). We've tried a few things...learned that 98% dust-free is largely BS (really disliked the Exquisite brand from Petsmart -- still very dusty). Right now we're trying out Arm & Hammer and have been pleased so far. But it's still not perfect. I accept that with any scoopable clay there will be some dust, but haven't liked any of the non-clay alternatives so far (pine, etc). Still hoping for some new invention.
Now, you tell me!! Yeah, we've been getting our litter from costco since it is so cheap...but as soon as we're done our three 40 pound containers ( ) or when I've reached my limit, we are switching!!

Thanks guys for the suggestions!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
KigerKat
DIS Veteran

I really like the Arm & Hammer cat litter that comes in a big orange bag. I can't remember the exact name, but it's the only one they have in a bag. It has the best odor control, doesn't track quite as much as the others, and no dust!!

It also clumps better than most others.

Previous Trips:
October 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010 - Pop Century
May 2011 - Pop Century
December 2011 - DL (off site)
May 2012 - Pop Century
August 2012 - Pop Century
September 2012 - Saratoga Springs
November 2012 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Art of Animation
September 2013 - Coronado Springs
KigerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
kathi29
DIS Veteran

I use Feline Pine for my kitty. It's the least amount of dust and tracking that I have found after trying several litters.
kathi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KigerKat View Post
I really like the Arm & Hammer cat litter that comes in a big orange bag. I can't remember the exact name, but it's the only one they have in a bag. It has the best odor control, doesn't track quite as much as the others, and no dust!!

It also clumps better than most others.
Great! 2 votes for A&H!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi29 View Post
I use Feline Pine for my kitty. It's the least amount of dust and tracking that I have found after trying several litters.
Great! 2 votes for FP!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
KigerKat
DIS Veteran

And if you are really into new gadgets and gizmos, you could give something like this a try:

http://www.catgenie.com/

Previous Trips:
October 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010 - Pop Century
May 2011 - Pop Century
December 2011 - DL (off site)
May 2012 - Pop Century
August 2012 - Pop Century
September 2012 - Saratoga Springs
November 2012 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Art of Animation
September 2013 - Coronado Springs
KigerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Marshay

Quote:
And if you are really into new gadgets and gizmos, you could give something like this a try:

OH, that is great!! A mini-toilet for your cat! I'll have to do some research on this to see if it really works (and lasts!)

Actually, we did buy the other one -- the automatic one that scoops it up and places in a container for you to remove.

The first one the motor died after 9 months...so we waited until they brought out the Super Deluxe one, thinking they improved it ... nope, the motor died again after about a year. When I'm paying $100+ for a Cat Scooper, I expect it to just last longer.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
shades
DIS Veteran

PaPurr is paper litter - but look and clumps like clay. Not much dust at all - but, tracks really bad. Unfortunately, my cat seems to be allergic to all of the clay clumping litters.

Our cat was always sneezing and had snot-bubbling noises going on all of the time. I've tried just about every single kind of cat litter on the market because I read that clay litter can clog up cats' sinuses. I've tried Feline Pine but didn't like it because of the way it falls apart and I couldn't really clean out the urine - and poo just sits on top. Odor was horrible, IMO.

Sweat (wheat litter) was yucky - gooey & messy. The litter made out of corn stinks even when it is new and my cat hated it.

Papurr seams to be the answer - it's paper - no clay dust. Clumps well. Contains smell as well as any other litter on the market. The only downside is that it is kind of expensive - $10/bag - and, I've only found it at Petsmart. I always have to keep a couple of bags on hand since I can't just run to Target for a bag.

Good luck!
shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
CheshireVal
Can you stand on your head?
I didn't realize there was more than one way to pronounce onion!
For me, there's something very sexy about Sayid...

We use a covered box, which does cut down on the dust but doesn't completely eliminate it.

We go through a LOT of litter-- almost one "box" a week. (our male has had crystals/urninary blockage issues, so he's on prescription food that makes him pee a lot). So... we usually buy whatever we have a coupon for.

One bit of advice I can tell you is to never, ever, EVER buy Fresh Step. It is by far the dustiest litter out there. AWFUL.
CheshireVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
HALEYSMOMMOM
DIS Veteran

Well. I don't have a cat, but I have a litter trained bunny, and I have to use something natural,( cause they might eat it), and I always use feline pine. No dust at all! No smell either, and bunnies can be stinky!

HALEYSMOMMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:

I love that! Does it work well?
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: