Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
bellebuzzandpooh
Mouseketeer

Are you currently saving specifically for Disney?

If so, what are you doing and when are you planning on going?

We're thinking about going in January. (Has anyone ever been then and is it a decent time?)

I've just started really cracking down and saving again. I've upped my jewelry business sales intentionally. I'm doing a lot more pay per post blogs that I get paid for. All of that money gets transferred straight from paypal to a vacation savings account so I don't spend it!

This week we're doing a necessities only buying week. An entire month (or more!) would be ideal, but I'm so out of practice that we're doing baby steps and starting with a week. Absolutely no eating out, buying things just because they're on clearance, no sodas, etc. Next month, I'll do two weeks of this rather than one. Then relax a bit a week and maybe do a take and bake pizza or something so my kids don't think they're going to die.

Soon we'll be planting some vegetables and shopping at the Farmer's market to help offset grocery costs. Food is just so outrageous lately! And I'm all about helping local farmers if I can.

I forgot to add another HUGE thing we're doing to save! We're flipping a house right now and hopefully will sell it this summer so a good chunk of that money will go toward Disney too.

So I'm curious what everyone else is doing right now to save for Disney?

Ebay id - pamperingbeki

Last edited by bellebuzzandpooh; 04-16-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: scatterbrain-ness
bellebuzzandpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
MEM
DIS Veteran

We are DVC members so we are ALWAYS saving for the next WDW trip. I have a set amount direct deposited into a distant credit union every pay day (twice a month)...there are fees for more than 3 withdrawals a month so that helps!

I also have a WDW cotton candy tub that I hot-glued the lid shut on and use that for my change jar - the popcorn buckets I used to use are too easy to "borrow" from. Both DH and I have the Disney Visa and use our reward dollars for one TS meal per trip, plus souvenirs.

Yard sales are not a good way for me to make money since I always get (and only seem to get) those people who will create a giant pile of my stuff and give me some offensively low offer for the whole lot. When I say "no", they walk away, leaving me to rearrange everything all over again (sorry for the rant!)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
MEM
DIS Veteran

To answer another question - January is a great time to be there, if you are not flying through a snowstorm to get there!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
bellebuzzandpooh
Mouseketeer

Oh yeah, I am starting to gather things for a yard sale this summer too. I don't keep much around so it's hard to get enough to do a sale! I take a load to the Salvation Army about once a month or so.

And my kids are going to do a lemonade stand again this summer. They did one last year and saved all the money they made and ended up with about $80 to spend on souvies at Dis.

Thanks for the tip about January!

Ebay id - pamperingbeki
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebuzzandpooh View Post
If so, what are you doing and when are you planning on going?

DH is going to D.C. with DD11 in September so I am taking DD and DS to Disneyland while they are gone. It's going to be a trip on the cheap but I could not give up the chance to go when I could swing it for so little. To save I am picking up OT crisis shifts at work. Here's the breakdown: Also one of my best gfs is joining us with her DS so we'll share gas and the cost of the hotel.

Gas: $100
Hotel: $225
Hoppers: $522
Food/souvenirs: $400

I can do this for under $1,300 which is less than 1/4 of what it usually costs. We are saving by staying off property which is totslly doable at Disneyland.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
GoofyFairie
DIS Veteran

I have to save specifically for Disney or we couldn't go. We don't have the money to vacation. We don't have credit debt, but even with college degrees, we are just getting buy. The economy is killing us. I squeeze out every bit of chage and paper I can get in a jar. I am afraid it is going to be 2 more years before we can go back to Disney and it is the only place where the stress melts away and everyone is happy. I wish we could go every year.

I've been Boo'd! Thank you suprgrlx! And agnes!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow's just a dream away!
GoofyFairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
bellebuzzandpooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFairie View Post
I have to save specifically for Disney or we couldn't go. We don't have the money to vacation. I wish we could go every year.
Ditto!

Ebay id - pamperingbeki
Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I also do the automatic deposit to a credit union of which I don't have an ATM card.

I will also do expotv again soon. I don't know why, but I am actually scared to do this again. I get stage fright, but I managed just fine in the summer to do this last year.

And I let it be known around the office that I will gladly do office stuff on the side (from my home) if anyone needs a part-time after-hours secretary. I am okay at Excel and I've made a few spreadsheets that calculate hours/pay that people seem to like.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
vegasnative
DIS Veteran

Yes we are currently saving to go to Disneyland in August. We have our outbound flights paid for. They have not released the dates for our reutrn flights, that is supposed to happen on Friday. We will pay for those when our stimulous money comes in May. I have 1 park hopper ticket paid for, need to get the other 4, and have the hotel reserved but not paid for. I'm kind of all over the board, aren't I?

Anyway, I have been to Disneyland several times in Jan. Never been to WDW in Jan, don't know where you are going. Jan. is an excellent time to visit Disneyland. With the exception of MLK weekend, that is busy!! But we have been the weekend before and that has been fabulous...walk right on rides!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
sylvenmaid
SAHM to One Little Buzz Lightyear!

We are saving for our WDW trip next year. I'm still fuzzy on the dates since it depends on when dh can get off next year but we'll know by Nov the exact dates. I still have a bunch of stuff that I was going to sell on ebay but decided to sell it all on IOffer instead. I also have some old gold that I'm going to send off this week. Between the 2 I should have half the trip paid for. I have a big change jar we have been saving for our spending money and we will just save all year long. So far we have well over $100 so hoping to hit around $300-400 by the trip. I am also selling Tupperware so hopefully I can contribute $100 or so a month towards it with my profits. My dh makes a good bit of O/T each week so I will take about $200/mo in a fund for WDW. This way we can easily pay for it w/o having to sacrifice our regular income. We still need to save for a newer car for dh and some remodeling.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
MomtoGKC
DIS Veteran

I'm not saving money this trip (thanks mom!!!), but I am starting to save food for the trip. We live in FL so we drive to WDW, that makes it easy to bring lots of our own food and save TONS of money once we get there. So, for the past few weeks I've been paying extra attention to the Buy One Get One Free sales at Publix. I have a huge box already filled with snacks and juice boxes! It makes it much easier on our budget to buy two or three things extra a week than to try and do one big Disney shopping trip the week we're leaving.

Mom to DD 13 , DD 11 , DS 9

1975-present - Too many trips to remember - CR, Poly, GF, BWI, BCV, WL, AKL, ASMu, POR, CSR, Dolphin, Swan, Treehouses (old), cabins, tent camping, SOG when it was the golf resort

A few offsite - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Buena Vista Palace, Nick Hotel
MomtoGKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
problemchild718
DIS Veteran

We are also DVC members and are ALWAYS saving for Disney. It comes directly from my paycheck into a vacation fund. I also use my extra grocery money (it motivates me to use coupons) and use some of my medical flexible spending account $$$ for WDW

1977 Contemporary 1985 Off site 1987 Contemporary 1993 Caribbean Beach 2000 Contemporary 2004 Offsite 2005 POR engagement trip 2005 Bought SSR 2006 OKW trip 2008 SSR
problemchild718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

I have a vacation ING account that I put a set amount per pay check in. This is for all vacations, not specifically Disney. But most of our trips end up at Disney so....
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
delmar411
DIS Veteran

we save each month plus extra cash from Ebay/CL and similar. I'm on track to have enough saved up for our Dec trip then we'll start over again.
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
DisFlan
DIS Veteran

I'm ALWAYS saving for Disney - but just for tickets and food. And gas money to get there.

I know this sounds strange to a lot of people, but the biggest thing we did to cut the cost of a Disney stay was joining DVC. We joined before my husband retired and we bought with cash - it paid for itself two trips ago. Our resort stays are now prepaid through 2042. We pay membership dues yearly, but they are far less for us than what hotel bills would be for a trip, even at a moderate. We can now go every year, stay in upscale surroundings - and afford it. We also have the luxury of inviting family to join us at no increased cost. The 2-bd villas have plenty of room.

If we want to skip a year, we can rent out our points or stay for a longer time when we do go. So far, we haven't done this. We look forward to going every year too much. And the kitchens in the villas cut back on the cost of food. (We really didn't realize what a cost difference this would make.) We don't HAVE to eat Disney's expensive food if we don't want to. But we like to do at least a few Disney TS meals while we're there (that's what I'm saving for).

We have been VERY glad we did this. If we hadn't, we were looking at going maybe once every 3 or 4 years.

DisFlan

SSR 9/25/09 - 10/02/09

Last edited by DisFlan; 04-16-2008 at 02:03 PM.
DisFlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: