Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer

Ooo-de-lally Tour September 2007: Day 11 (There are Lizards on the course!)

Friday 28th September - Golf, shopping, and a whole lotta eating.

We felt it was time for a break from the theme parks and relax a little.

Well actually, I had that cognitive dissonance thing going on as although I was tired, in a way I still wanted to combine BG, SW, IOA, US and WNW all into one day and create THE theme park frenzy extravaganza experience. The idea was there but the bodies were weak - and I’m fairly certain that my dream combination above is in fact impossible! So a day on I-Drive it was to be… and the culmination of our Crazy Golf Tournament. Just to remind everyone of events so far: I was seriously flagging as M had won both the first night Congo River Golf AND the Winter Summerland course at Blizzard Beach. Emotions were running high, the atmosphere was tense, and if I was claw this tournament back I would need all my energy… cue breakfast.

We did some good snoozing and managed to lie in until 9.30am. Once awake we could see that the weather was glorious and as sad as this might sound, we were both excited to be having breakfast at the I-Hop next to our hotel! The I-Hop really didn’t disappoint - M had a Pancake Combo and I went for Pigs in Blankets with a generous helping of syrup and some hash browns on the side. M’s breakfast was HUGE with 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, bacon strips, hash browns, tea, and orange juice. Mine was also more than enough and I don’t think either of us could have managed any of the bigger platters they have on offer. Well, maybe we would but that would have been it for the day!

We had taken some single use cameras to Discovery Cove and wanted to get the photo’s developed before going home so our next stop was Walgreens One Hour Photo counter… anyone seen the film??

M showing his slightly warped side there methinks! There were some other people there trying to use the self serve machine for their prom photos or something. They were struggling with the controls and the server was having to help them with everything. Pretty much defeats the self serve aspect and meant that I was standing there like a lemon for quite some time but eventually I deposited the cameras and we were on our way again.

We walked up to the other Congo River Golf course, paid our money, and chose the Livingstone Course. I have to say I had upped my game this day and had an absolutely storming round to beat M and put myself back in contention for the big prize.

Hole number 7 also provided an additional bit of excitement when M spotted a real live snake and did a move reminiscent of Steve Irwin to get this picture.

The snake was christened Brian and he was very obliging - posing for the photo before slithering away. It was blazing hot by now and we were very thankful for a pit stop at the restrooms and very cold water fountain after my amazing victory.

The plan for the day was to walk south along the drive, stopping at any shops we wanted to on route and playing Golf at whichever courses we fancied. Sadly the next shop we came across was Dominator Sports which obviously M was quite keen on. M started the day wearing the Dolphins cap that I had bought him at Downtown Disney but it was so very hot that really needed a cap with more air holes in. Bless him, he also didn’t like the idea of his posh cap (if there is such a thing!) getting all sweaty. So into Dominator Sports we went and M got himself a very snazzy Gators basketball cap. I got my own back by stopping next at the World of Denim and buying some slouch y Levi 518’s.

Enough of the shopping - we had more golf to play and it just so happens that we had arrived at Volcano Golf, Tiki Island. We opted for the Tikki Falls course and low and behold - I only won again. HURRAY - the score was equal and it would all come down to one deciding match. I don’t know about you but I could hardly bear the anticipation!! We both really liked how challenging the Tikki Falls course was while still being fun but I would say that it was a bit raggedy and not so picturesque as some of the other courses we played.

We had managed to arrive at Trolly Stop 15 (our hotel was at number 7) under our own steam, but as Pointe Orlando was our next destination we hopped on the Trolly to take us to stop number 24. On arrival we had a look round - I got some sketchers at Lady Footlocker, and M got a couple of T-Shirts. M had read that Dan Marino had a restaurant at the Pointe Orlando and this being one of his American Football heroes wanted to have a look. We found where it had been but alas it was obviously closed down so we had to find somewhere else for a bit of rest and refreshment. Thankfully the Hawaiian Rumble Golf course down the way had a Ben & Jerry’s counter. M chose chocolate, and I scoffed my way through vanilla & chocolate cookie dough. Mmmmmmmm!

Suitably refreshed we opted out of the Hawaiian Rumble golf as we had chosen the Pirates Cove course for our deciding round. However the Reebok Outlet store stood between us and pirates cove and the lure of new trainers beckoned. The store had a buy one get one half price offer on trainers and before we split to peruse the shoes I said to M “Come and find me before you buy anything in case I want something too”. M completely ignored me and by the time I had found the trainers I wanted and caught up with him he was stood there with a bag full of goodies already paid for! The sales assistant was lovely though and still let us have the offer which I thought was very good of him.

So with all of our purchases weighing us down we headed over to Pirates Cove golf. The server let us leave our things behind the counter and decided to play Blackbeards Challenge. The course was amazing with fantastic theming, and to add to the atmosphere there were Lizards EVERYWHERE!

We had a great time playing this course and to top it off I only won again… yep, I had taken the tournament 3 games to 2 against all of the odds! M went in the stocks as a punishment.

I believe my prize was picking where we were going to eat for dinner - there was no contest really as I had heard so much about Bahama Breeze and needed to check it out for myself. We were again very hot and sweaty people so we were very grateful to sink into one of the booths and order some ice cold drinks. There was so much on the menu that appealed that I for one had trouble picking. M is always more decisive than me and pretty quickly decided on the BBQ chicken with cheese, bacon, mash and brocolli.

I had one of those moments when you can’t decide between two dishes and have to make a snap decision when the server takes your order. I heard the words Calypso Linguini coming from my mouth and hoped that I had made a good choice.

I had.

I swear this was one of the nicest dishes I have ever had the pleasure of eating. The menu describes it as Calypso Shrimp Linguini: Tender shrimp in every bite...sautéed with garlic, scallions, creole spices and a touch of cream. Lighter portion available. I didn’t bother with the lighter portion and wolfed the lot!! M was also very pleased with his chioce. I have just asked him what he thought and he said “Splendid - my second favourite dinner (of the holiday)”. So it was a thumbs up all round for Bahama Breeze - there is no doubt that we would visit again.

A couple of beers later and it was time to head back to the hotel - the plan being to cool ourselves with a dip in the pool. Our dinner had plenty of time to go down as I’m not sure why, but we were waiting AGES for a trolly. One eventually showed up and we rode all the way to Walgreens at stop 9 where we got off to pick up our photos and walk back to the hotel. We threw ourselves straight into the pool but then had to make our escape as they started some kind of karaoke party at the pool bar… not our idea of fun!

We wanted a quite night and actually needed to do some washing so we popped over to the 7/11 for slurpees, snacks, and ¼’s for the washing machines. Spent the evening playing pinball, watching TV and doing washing intermittently. We had had a great day - and as is usually the case we had fantastic fun just mucking about and spending time together doing low key kind of stuff. Not that the Golf Tournament wasn’t taken seriously you understand…

Last edited by Daysleeper40; 04-16-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great trip report.We love IHOP for brekkie,we always have the combo platters of eggs,sausage,bacon,hash browns+those yummy to die for pancakes.Also love Bahama Breeze.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

what a lovely day

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Another brillant day
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

You're not alone - I too get inordinately excited about going to IHOP for breakfast! What a great day and a lovely idea to walk, shop, eat and play golf - sounds like my idea of heaven. Congratulations on your win!

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Congrats on winning the golf, sounds like a great way to spend a day!
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

pancakes are mega at IHOP

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

lovely day,congrats on winning the golf

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Another lovely day. We have never tried IHOP, sounds nice and the restaurant you went to on the night.

I picked up your film reference, made me feel a bit spooky as it was that type of film.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

Great report. I love IHOP...I'd go to the US just for that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: