Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #16
Pootle

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki.young View Post
Well the post has just come and in it are the papers. I'm going to take them with me next week and see how I get on if I visit the DVC sales office!
Mine haven't arrived yet, but that's my plan too. I tried to call my guide a few days ago to arrange this (read on the US boards of someone doing it) and got a message telling me she's getting married and will be away for 3 weeks but giving me alternative 1-800 numbers to contact stand-ins. Just when I wanted a 407 number!! I'll just make the call as soon as I arrive and hope for the best. I believe it's quite simple to arrange.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #17
Revtel
Mouseketeer

Well, I just called our nearest Notary Public who is in Lytham, and she told me the following:-

The minimum fee for one document with one signature is £80 plus VAT. If it is an international document (such as Disney!) there will be additional fees which she could not specify without seeing the document.

She also told me that this is the nationally agreed rate for the service within their Society.

(I'll be dropping a line to Disney later!)
Revtel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #18
Revtel
Mouseketeer

I just sent this email to our vacation guide at Disney. I'll let you know what response I get!

We have now received our documents with regard to our declining the offer to extend our interest at OKW.

I see that we have to engage the services of a Notary Public in order to do this. I have looked into this, and I am told that the cost to me will be a minimum of £80 (plus tax), and will probably be more if the document (which she hasn't seen yet) is a US legal document. To make it easier for you, this is going to cost me around $200, probably more, and I am not at all happy about this. I did not ask for this "offer", you know I don't want it, and yet it is going to cost me a significant sum of money just to turn it down. I understand that Disney gave everyone a credit of $25 on our last dues bill, but this is nowhere near sufficient to offset the cost. It may work in the US, but not here!

I am sure I am not the only UK member who will feel very badly treated by this.

So advice please. Are Disney going to cover the cost of this and if not, why not?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #19
Skallywag
DIS Veteran

Have just got off the phone to Disney regarding this and they are having many people telephoning in with this problem. We are going to be in Orlando after the Panama cruise and they have told us to take the papers with us and they will sort out there. Apparently the office is in Saratoga Springs and I sincerely hope we do not have to mess about too much and waste time on our holiday for this. Told them we did not have this to do when we purchased and people over here feel bad about it.

She could only advise people to phone in on the freephone number and get advice from them but told her I would post so people are aware.
Brenda
Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
mikki.young
Knows Dreams do come true!

We just had a second lot of papers arrive. I know we have two contracts and a sub contract but the initial offer/decline paperwork listed them all together. If we were not heading out to the states and planning to do it there I would be getting very cross.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
Revtel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki.young View Post
We just had a second lot of papers arrive. I know we have two contracts and a sub contract but the initial offer/decline paperwork listed them all together. If we were not heading out to the states and planning to do it there I would be getting very cross.
Thanks for that.

I just realised that we have two contracts for OKW, and the paperwork so far only covers one of them. Does this mean that there will be another set of documents to be certified?

Twice the price, no doubt!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #22
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallywag View Post
Have just got off the phone to Disney regarding this and they are having many people telephoning in with this problem. We are going to be in Orlando after the Panama cruise and they have told us to take the papers with us and they will sort out there. Apparently the office is in Saratoga Springs and I sincerely hope we do not have to mess about too much and waste time on our holiday for this. Told them we did not have this to do when we purchased and people over here feel bad about it.

She could only advise people to phone in on the freephone number and get advice from them but told her I would post so people are aware.
Brenda
Thanks for that - I just realised that we have 3 contracts in total so it will be much easier for us to take them over to saratoga to get them signed.

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #23
Bexx

Enjoys the UNIQUE Magic Kingdom
Crazed by the twiddly bits

Oh this is ridiculous!! Looks like I will have to pay a notary fee, as we're not going back to WDW for a couple of years yet.

NOT happy
~ WDW MK Day Trip Jan 83 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Nov 92 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 93 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 95 ~*~ WDW Offsite Dec 96 ~*~ WDW Dixie Landings Jan 99 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 99 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 02 ~*~ WDW Old Key West Feb 05 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 05 ~*~ DLP Day Trip Jan 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Cheyenne Dec 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Santa Fe Nov 07 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Portofino Bay Feb 08 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Jan 09 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge March 09 ~*~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Feb 10 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 12 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Aug 13 ~

Been there ... Done that ... Definitely going back!

Bexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #24
Skallywag
DIS Veteran

Am not convinced that a notary in US has the same qualifications as one in our country and feel this is something that should be clarified by Disney also.
Somehow feel that they are the same as people over here who can sign your passport photo and application and would be worth checking up on.

I am a parish councillor here and often sign people's documents for them (and don't charge like doctors seem to. If this is correct then perhaps your local councillor or even school teacher carries the same qualifications as their notary. Have you phoned Disney to find this out - may be worthwhile doing that. We would definitely not spend money out to get these forms witnessed as has been said previously we have not asked for this, it was not in our original contract and there was no mention of it. We did not do this when we purchased. Our forms were sent over to us here in England and we signed and returned.

Just wonder if one of our US friends on the boards could tell us what qualifications you need to be a notary in their country.
Brenda
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #25
OlderMan
DVC Member Since 1997

Notaries Public here in the US are used mainly to verify someone's identity and signature.

If the person(s) is/are not personally known by the Notary Public he/she/they must provide identification sufficient to prove who they are and their signature. Usually a drivers license, state issued ID card or passport suffice. Fees for this are usually capped by state law ($10 range) or waived if there is a business relationship between "you" and the NP. For instance, most bank branches have one or more NP's, and they don't usually charge a fee if you have an account there.

Sounds like the definition of "Notary" should be clarified by DVC for you in the UK.
OlderMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #26
Pootle

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexx View Post
Oh this is ridiculous!! Looks like I will have to pay a notary fee, as we're not going back to WDW for a couple of years yet.

NOT happy
Have you phoned them Becky?

I called last night and as I expected, it is simple to arrange to do it if you are over there and has been said, they are very aware of the issue of cost in the UK.

I am hoping they will find a way around it for those of you not about to visit soon - surely they MUST? £80 plus is a ridiculous amount for people to pay under the circumstances.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
Skallywag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderMan View Post
Notaries Public here in the US are used mainly to verify someone's identity and signature.

If the person(s) is/are not personally known by the Notary Public he/she/they must provide identification sufficient to prove who they are and their signature. Usually a drivers license, state issued ID card or passport suffice. Fees for this are usually capped by state law ($10 range) or waived if there is a business relationship between "you" and the NP. For instance, most bank branches have one or more NP's, and they don't usually charge a fee if you have an account there.

Sounds like the definition of "Notary" should be clarified by DVC for you in the UK.
Quite agree there are many people in this country that can witness signatures etc. but are not solicitors nor notaries.
Bren
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #28
Bexx

Enjoys the UNIQUE Magic Kingdom
Crazed by the twiddly bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
Have you phoned them Becky?

I called last night and as I expected, it is simple to arrange to do it if you are over there and has been said, they are very aware of the issue of cost in the UK.

I am hoping they will find a way around it for those of you not about to visit soon - surely they MUST? £80 plus is a ridiculous amount for people to pay under the circumstances.
I haven't received my paperwork yet Moira, but once I do I will give them a ring. As Brenda suggests, it may well be possible to find someone less expensive to sign them!! If not, I will be tempted to put the money I would be paying to a Notary towards a mini break to WDW - money better spent IMHO!!!
~ WDW MK Day Trip Jan 83 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Nov 92 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 93 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 95 ~*~ WDW Offsite Dec 96 ~*~ WDW Dixie Landings Jan 99 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 99 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 02 ~*~ WDW Old Key West Feb 05 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 05 ~*~ DLP Day Trip Jan 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Cheyenne Dec 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Santa Fe Nov 07 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Portofino Bay Feb 08 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Jan 09 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge March 09 ~*~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Feb 10 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 12 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Aug 13 ~

Been there ... Done that ... Definitely going back!

Bexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #29
PhilUK
Mouseketeer

We got ours done last week at Saratoga Springs. We spoke to a lady called Jennifer who was one of the most helpful people I have ever met.
We hadn't even received the paperwork before going {remember for some reason DVC documentation doesn't come from Florida} but she managed to get everything sorted within an hour and then got us a ride back to BWV in the Tour Van {we had "Sailed" from Downtown Disney}.

Good Luck !

Phil
PhilUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #30
mickeyuk
Earning My Ears

We have not had our paperwork yet but I remember when we bought in 1994 they said we needed a Notary....however I just got a friend of mine who was a solicitor to sign and had no problems....so what would happen if you got a normal solicitor to sign these new documents.......how would they know

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: