Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
eeyorefan74
DIS Veteran

How much do you tip for a pedicure?

I'm sure there have been lots of tipping threads but I'm having no luck with the search function. Anyhow, some friends gave me a gift certificate for a pedicure for my birthday. I'm clueless when it comes to tipping. Do I tip and if so, how much? And while we're on the subject, what do you usually tip your hairstylist? I've been going to cheap walk in places for so long I don't know what the going rate is for a real haircut.
eeyorefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Yes, I usually tip 15% of the price.

So a $20 pedicure gets a $3 tip.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
PrincessKitty1
Epcot is my happy place.

20% is a good tip for any salon or spa type service, IMO.

The Dolphin Fountain (photo taken from our room!)

PrincessKitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

20% if I'm happy with the work (i.e. not too rough, no nicking through carelessness, pleasant).
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
katerkat
I wine a lot...it makes me feel better

I go to the same place once a month, where the pedicure is $20. I pay $25 total. It's a bit high, but still cheaper than "salon" pedicure prices and the women do a really, really good job. And they remember me even though it's only once a month.
katerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
anna_chronistic
Mouseketeer

What about if the pedicurist (is that a word?) isn't paid for the work?

I ask because I recently started going to a cosmetology school to have various things done -- waxing, haircuts, etc. After my first visit, I discovered the students are not paid for the work -- they have to complete a certain number of hours. The services are therefore MUCH cheaper than going to a salon (plus they are required to abide by very high sanitary standards, which I appreciate!).

I usually also try to go during half-price days. So a leg-wax that would usually cost $33 (already half the price of the local salon) is only $16.50. Then I tip about $10. Is that not enough? Too much?

I started going to the cosmetology school b/c the spa I previously went to had some icky, unhealthy practices, it was super expensive, and I only recently discovered the CS had such services available. I highly recommend cosmetology schools if you are worried about health issues!
anna_chronistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
JandJ
If I close my mind in fear . . . Please pry it open
I had a very productive day ... yesterday

Depends on the service. If she's good I'll do 20%. If I go to the same person for a spa service over a long period of time I'll tip more.

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel Mother (1940 - 2005) Daddy's little girl (1933 - 2008)

Egypt, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, 7 Caribbean islands, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, 12 states, DC - check! Where to next??
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
LadyyRedd
Someone stole my toothpaste/Chapstick routine!
I'm in the "whatever's clean" crowd too!
I'm sort of the pancake anti-thesis!

$0
I do'nt get them! Never have. I can't stand having someone else touch my feet.

Kimya

LadyyRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
MaryKLady
DIS Veteran

Hi, manicurist here!

Take into consideration what type of place it is. I work in an upscale spa. We get $35 for a plain ped and $45 for a spa ped. I typically get tipped $10 and $15 on those services. My regulars typically give me $15 and $20.

Also, keep in mind the tech only gets a percentage of the price, typically 50%. So if that person just gust gave you a good ped and spent an hour doing it, 20% for a tip is good because she only got $10 from that $20 ped. If you got a rockin' ped, round it up a bit.

Unless she was annoying, rude or did a cr*ppy job...then tip low or not at all. If you do tip low or not all for any reason, make sure you tell the owner or manager what happened. They want to know if someone isn't pulling their weight.

7/2014 Disneyland-10/2012 Fantasy's First Halloween-1/2010 DCL Magic-1/2010 Polynesian- 7/2009 6th Birthday Trip-12/2007 A WDW Christmas-1986 Contemporary
MaryKLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
moonbeams4
Mouseketeer

I just was thinking of this question today myself. I received a gift certificate for my birthday and used it today. I don't know the difference between a spa pedicure or a regular one because this has only been my 2nd pedicure and the 1st one was at this same place. This place calls it a spa pedicure and charges $23.

Anyway, the girls don't speak very good english at all, and point a lot to what they want you to do. I think they do a good job. They don't keep the same person working on you though. This happened the first time too. Somewhere in the middle of the pedicure the one girl gets up, and the other sits down to finish. Then the first girl goes over to the customer the other girl was working on. SO, if you made it this far, who do I tip? I tipped $4 and gave each $2. Don't know if that's the right thing to do, but that's what I did. What would you do?
moonbeams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

10% if I end up bleeding from a bad clip with the cuticle nippers

15% for a normal, passable pedicure.

20% for a relaxing pedicure or if they throw in a bit of extra time with some extra lotion.

I usually end up at 20% since once I find I place I like, I stick with it as long as possible.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

I was thinking about this too! I just want to know where are you girls getting a $20 Pedicure???!!

When (usually every other week)I get a french pedicure the price is $32. I tip the girl $5. I get a french manicure every week and it is $17 and I tip the girl $3. This isn't in a spa, just a regular nail salon.

When I get my hair done, I get it dyed and cut and the cost is $65 and I tip her $10.(she is also the owner of the salon)
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
anna_chronistic
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Desnik;24387393]I was thinking about this too! I just want to know where are you girls getting a $20 Pedicure???!! [QUOTE]

Right now, our local cosmetology school is doing a special: $20 for spa mani AND pedi. As in both, together, for a total cost of $20. It's an insanely good deal. I think the money basically just goes for supplies and overhead, b/c the students aren't paid (hence the previous question about appropriate tip).

Of course, patrons are essentially guinea pigs for the students to practice on, but they're getting a grade, so they try to do it well!
anna_chronistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
mamalle
DIS Veteran

mine cost $25 for a combo manicure/pedicure and I tip $8.00. If I just get the pedicure for $17 I tip $5.00..
mamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
MaryKLady
DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm hoppin' up on my soap box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeams4 View Post
I...They don't keep the same person working on you though. This happened the first time too. Somewhere in the middle of the pedicure the one girl gets up, and the other sits down to finish. Then the first girl goes over to the customer the other girl was working on. SO, if you made it this far, who do I tip? I tipped $4 and gave each $2...
That is ssoooo annoying. Why do they do that?!? I think you tipped perfectly, who gets up in the middle of working on a client?!? Wierd.

BTW, any place you can get a mani/pedi for $25 or the like, watch out! 1/2 the time the techs aren't licensed and their tools certainly aren't clean. Two stories:

1: I am a licensed manicurist for 14 years. I took two of those years and went to work at a podiatrist's (foot Dr.) office. The Dr.'s were not thrilled with people getting peds because of all the fungus and infections they saw in their office. Keep in mind they only saw the "peds gone bad" in the office...I would ask those patients where they had their ped and every time it was at one of these "chop shops". If not being cleaned properly, those whirlpool foot baths can be filthy! I don't want to freak you out so much as to make you aware. If you're not sure how they are cleaned, ask! You have the right to know.

2: I once got a client fom a "chop shop". She was sitting having a ped when the state board walked in for their annual inspection. The girl at the front desk announced their arrival. The girl working on my client and about 5 others got up and ran out the back door! These women, obviously, were not licensed. I'm not saying these women aren't good at what they do, I am saying they may not be trained on proper cleanliness techniques. Hense, the annual inspection.

In conclusion, ask. Ask how the ped stations are cleaned, their tools are sanitized and to see the licenses of their employees. Those licenses should be displayed where you can see them and there should be a picture on every one.

...hoppin' off now.

7/2014 Disneyland-10/2012 Fantasy's First Halloween-1/2010 DCL Magic-1/2010 Polynesian- 7/2009 6th Birthday Trip-12/2007 A WDW Christmas-1986 Contemporary
MaryKLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: