Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
ecamc
Earning My Ears

Help with selling my china dishes

I am considering selling my china dishes to earn some extra money. They have been packed up and unused for so long I know I wouldn't miss them and I definitely could use the money.
Does anyone know of how I should go about this, who to contact, online resources..things along those lines. I sure would appreciate any information.
Thanks so much!
ecamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
LynnTH
DIS Veteran

The only site I know of is replacements dot com. My SIL buys lots of items there. It is a site where you can find pieces to match what you have (or that have broken). They also buy sets of China. I have never used them but you can call them with what you have and they will quote you a price.
LynnTH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
trip
family trip planner

I have purchased some additional pieces for my china set from replacements.com and had success with them.

They do buy china also but I haven't sold them anything. Here is a link
http://replacements.com/misc/packship.htm
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
ecamc
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the quick responses. I will definitely check this website. It's a place to start..now wish me luck !
Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
The Moonk's Mom
DIS Veteran

Just a quick note...replacements may not buy if it is a newer pattern or if they have a really big stock of your pattern already...that is the deal with mine right now.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
kbkids
Loves the World in February
I'd like to choke me a chipmunk!

My experience with them is that they will buy only if they have a demand for the item. I sent a request in awhile back to try to sell my MIL's china. No response for several months until they had a "request from someone to purchase the china." What they didn't know - and I wasn't purposely trying to do that, was that I had gone in and requested it myself because I wanted to see how much they would turn around and sell it for. I didn't sell it to them, as what they were offering me just wasn't worth it.

Hope you have better luck. I just bought a bunch of pieces of my own china off eBay. I'm reluctant to try to sell much lately though just because their fees have gotten so ridiculous.
kbkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
PaulaSue
I have a purple car too and love it
Even I need a nap now and then

Thanks for the link. My Mom is looking for some pieces and if we can't find them this summer (yard sales) I might suprise her for Christmas.

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2 Birthdays, 1 Anniversary, Priceless...1/06

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2nd Trip, 1 Week with Family and Friends...10/08

F&W, Music to our ears...10/11

Tire Pros "Family" is going to Disney...1/15
PaulaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

I sold an entire set of china (really, really ugly pattern!) for almost $700 on Ebay years ago. It was a hand-me-down set when DH and I got our first place, and I almost threw it out rather than putting it on Ebay. Research your pattern and see if it sells well on Ebay. If it does, it's worth it to list it. If not, it's really not worth the hassle to list and then package it up for shipping. The shipping part was a little tough (I really didn't want anything to break, and one plate still did unfortunately). Still, though, for nearly $700 it was worth the effort!
LoveBWVVBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Cass
www.casshew.com

You might just try advertising on craigslist to sell locally,

that way you don't have to worry about the super careful packing you have to do to ship it.

I sold some china on eBay years ago and some pieces arrived broken - it was a real pain to sort out with my buyer.
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
rockyroad
DIS Veteran

If there is someone in your area who does estate sales you might call and ask them for advice.

Check for consignment stores in your area.

Do you have an antiques mall, with individual sellers? Perhaps one of them would be willing to place your china in their booth.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
ecamc
Earning My Ears

I might give Craigslist a try. I haven't done that before, but I have looked at the site several times.
We do have several antique type malls with individual booths, so I could check into that fairly easily.
I am not really the ebay type but I will probably check it out anyway. You never know what option will turn out to be the best.
I have a Noritake pattern and quite a bit of it, so I really need to get a list together I guess and move on from there.
Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
rockyroad
DIS Veteran

I would just hate to try to ship china.

Years ago I had some china sent to the house from Goldsmith's, now Macy's.
It was good china that had been discontinued and was on clearance.

When it arrived at the house a bunch of it was broken...and they couldn't replace it. It was just sad. I have looked at china on e-bay, but the possible shipping problems could it into a big headache.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Cass
www.casshew.com

honestly, I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. It would be so much better to just have the new dish owners take them away in their car, safe and sound than have them broken in shipping.

I hope you have some luck on craigslist
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
StillPinballFamily
Mouseketeer

We sold our wedding china on ebay several years ago. We never used it - it was lovely (Wedgwood), and we had several unique pieces that were only available outside the US. Replacements Inc. would have only offered peanuts, so we didn't go that route.

We did use ebay, after checking out the best way to do it. What we found was that by breaking up (not breaking! ) the set, we made A LOT more money than just offering the bunch of it together as one item. Sets consisting of items just like ours didn't get any bids at the time, and even groups of place settings didn't. But we cleaned up! Potential buyers usually want to add more of certain pieces (like just four more plates or six bowls or...?) to their own collections and are *really* willing to pay for those. But they don't want what they don't want - if that makes sense. We packed things VERY well, made shipping insurance mandatory and not a thing got broken. We sent the pieces all over the country and ended up making many brides and families happy with their purchases. And we loved the decluttering - and cash So, good luck and do your homework on what is actually selling — not just being listed — and for how much, on ebay.
StillPinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
JandJ
If I close my mind in fear . . . Please pry it open
I had a very productive day ... yesterday

I've sold 2 sets of china and a set of crystal stemware through a local vendor recommended by replacements.com. Check with replacements and see if there is a local vendor in your area, that way you won't have to pack up and ship your china. But, they won't take everything. DH had a Noritake set from his first marriage (of course I didn't want it) and they didn't have a demand for it so they wouldn't buy it. I ended up just giving it to a friend who liked it. Also, you can negotiate with local vendors. I sold one set for $200 and then inherited a very nice antique set and they offered me the same. I countered with $350, they gave me $300, and I was happy with that. Good luck!

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel Mother (1940 - 2005) Daddy's little girl (1933 - 2008)

Egypt, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, 7 Caribbean islands, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, 12 states, DC - check! Where to next??
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: