DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #166
brandip22
Busy obsessing over my next trip!

HI folks! I just wanted to join the board- I just found it- crazy! I own at SSR and live in Watson or Denham Springs if you aren't familiar with the area. I only read the last page and saw two other folks from Denham- cool! We're going back May 22nd- well, leaving on the 21st once I am done with school (teach in EBR). Anyway, nice to see you all!

Oh, this would be a good place to ask! For those that drive, where, if anywhere, do you stop for the night? Since we won't get off until about 6 Friday evening, I want to stop somewhere about 4-5 hours away. When mapping it, I saw a little town called Defuniak Springs that we could do. What do y'all do? Thanks in advance!
December 2006- SSR
October 2007- OKW, but just did US/IOA
May 2010- SSR- Baby Nate's first trip!
November 2010- BWV/VWL with DS(8)
March 2011- THV- extended family trip
Mardi Gras- just me and DH- Shhhh! Don't tell the kids!
June- DCL Dream with cousin!
Thanksgiving 2012- SSR- WL for a THV!
brandip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #167
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblanch View Post
Any of your schools have Spring Break on an odd week due to LEAP testing in mid April this year?

Ours is typical the week after Easter(April 5-9 this year) but was moved to the last week of April(April 26-30) because of LEAP. We are taking full of advantage of what should be a great time to be at WDW. Just wondering if others parishes or schools are doing similar and it may end being a mini Mardi Gras at WDW that week.
We have that same week off and am I glad! Last year WDW at Easter was a mess because of the crowds.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #168
brandip22

Oh, I forgot to say- our Easter Break is March 29-April 5th- I think that's the week before Easter and the Monday following. If it was the last week in April, we'd definitely go then instead!
December 2006- SSR
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #169
Camping Cat
It looked like A Small World gone mad
I'm sweet and nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandip22 View Post
HI folks! I just wanted to join the board- I just found it- crazy! I own at SSR and live in Watson or Denham Springs if you aren't familiar with the area. I only read the last page and saw two other folks from Denham- cool! We're going back May 22nd- well, leaving on the 21st once I am done with school (teach in EBR). Anyway, nice to see you all!

Oh, this would be a good place to ask! For those that drive, where, if anywhere, do you stop for the night? Since we won't get off until about 6 Friday evening, I want to stop somewhere about 4-5 hours away. When mapping it, I saw a little town called Defuniak Springs that we could do. What do y'all do? Thanks in advance!
We like to go as far as possible the first day but Defuniak Springs would be fine. For us, Marianna is almost exactly halfway to WDW so we usually stay there on our way home.

Jan B.
aka Praline (cuz I'm sweet and nuts)

Camping Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #170
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblanch View Post
Any of your schools have Spring Break on an odd week due to LEAP testing in mid April this year?

Ours is typical the week after Easter(April 5-9 this year) but was moved to the last week of April(April 26-30) because of LEAP. We are taking full of advantage of what should be a great time to be at WDW. Just wondering if others parishes or schools are doing similar and it may end being a mini Mardi Gras at WDW that week.
I'm a teacher in Ouachita Parish and my kids attend Monroe City Schools. We have spring break in mid March (15 - 19). Last year they made us wait until after LEAP and it was horrible. The kids really needed a break before mid - late April. Keep in mind that we don't have a Mardi Gras break up here. We get one day off for Presidents Day and that's it. Everyone complained and the powers that be actually listened to us for a change! SOOO guess where my gang and I will be March 13 - 20!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #171
brandip22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix View Post
I'm a teacher in Ouachita Parish and my kids attend Monroe City Schools. We have spring break in mid March (15 - 19). Last year they made us wait until after LEAP and it was horrible. The kids really needed a break before mid - late April. Keep in mind that we don't have a Mardi Gras break up here. We get one day off for Presidents Day and that's it. Everyone complained and the powers that be actually listened to us for a change! SOOO guess where my gang and I will be March 13 - 20!

Just wanted to say HI- I'm actually from Monroe, but moved down here after I got married in 2000. I went to jack hayes and ouachita. My family is still up there and my niece goes to Neville. Anyway, it's fun to see folks from "home."
December 2006- SSR
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #172
disfountainofyouth
BCV since'02,SSR since '06

Brandip22-When we leave late we usally stay in Quincy just West of
Tallahassee. (a little over half way point) Our Spring break is before Leap this year.
DI '00
OKW '02
BCV '03, '06, '08, '09, '10x2, '11, '12x2, March '14
BWV '05, '07, '08, '13
VWL '08, '11, '13
Disney Dream '11
disfountainofyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #173
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Just wanted to say HI- I'm actually from Monroe, but moved down here after I got married in 2000. I went to jack hayes and ouachita. My family is still up there and my niece goes to Neville. Anyway, it's fun to see folks from "home."
Hi back atcha!

My oldest 2 sons went to Neville, one is there now and 2 more of my kids will be there next year. I have a sister down in your neck of the woods. Like you, she married and moved south where her husband's family lives. She's a Disney nut too.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #174
bblanch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix View Post
My wife is also a teacher and concerned about the long stretch of school before Spring Break at the end of April. It's not as drastic as your parish though. We have off 3 days for Mardi Gras as well as Holy Thursday & Good Friday. It will be strange having a Spring Break where 3 1/2 weeks later we're out of school for summer.
bblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #175
bblanch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Cat View Post
We like to go as far as possible the first day but Defuniak Springs would be fine. For us, Marianna is almost exactly halfway to WDW so we usually stay there on our way home.
We always like to stop at the Marianna exit 142 for the night. Plenty hotels and places to eat to choose from, and a Walmart all right off I-10.
bblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #176
brandip22

wehavesix- that's cool. My neice is a Freshman Cheerleader there- Cassidy Thornton- may they know each other? My DH is actually from Delhi, but we just wanted to move away while we were young and able! At the time, I was a banker, so it was easy to get a job anywhere I wanted to. Dh's work had a new location opening in BR and we're huge LSU fans, so that's what we did! We are total transplants. But, we love it here. Since we are in Livingston Parish, we actually fit in a bit more here in the country than we probably did in the city! LOL
DH is really sold on driving all the way through now and just having a nap before dinner. That'll save a little money as well. At least now I can start planning the first day!
December 2006- SSR
Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #177
crys5
Mouseketeer

We are from Houma...just bought at Animal Kingdom in November...haven't been home yet...can't wait until the end of March!!!! and for Thanksgiving 2010!
2007.... POP & BWV & POP (Nov.)
2009...POP & BWV(FEB/march) 2010...AKV...with 17DD& her friends (march/april )(1st trip home)
2010..pop century & AKV kidani...w/my family,my sister's family (Nov.18-26)
2011..october AKV KIDANI
crys5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #178
Camping Cat
It looked like A Small World gone mad
I'm sweet and nuts!

Quote:
DH is really sold on driving all the way through now and just having a nap before dinner. That'll save a little money as well. At least now I can start planning the first day!
Be careful not to tire yourselves out too much. We've done the drive straight through and it took us 2 days or so to recuperate. :-) Of course, we are close to being considered senior citizens and tire a lot easier than we used to. When you cross the state line into FL, pick up some of the coupon books for hotels just in case you change your mind during the drive. We've found some fairly nice places in Tallahassee and Lake City. We like Lake City because then we are only a few hours away from WDW and get there early the next day and are refreshed and ready for fun. You'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do. :-)

Jan B.
aka Praline (cuz I'm sweet and nuts)

Camping Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #179
VLee
DIS Veteran

Wehavesix and Brandip22 -- special "hi"! I live in Monroe (orginally from Haynesville -- yeah, how about the Golden Tornado -- State Champs --- again, and again, and again.)

Our next trip is first week of May. I retired last summer and spent a whole month in Disney, resort hopping.

Already planning my next trip after May. We have a Disney TA cruise scheduled, but may end up postponing it for another year.

We love LSU and the Saints!!!!
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #180
brandip22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Cat View Post
Be careful not to tire yourselves out too much. We've done the drive straight through and it took us 2 days or so to recuperate. :-) Of course, we are close to being considered senior citizens and tire a lot easier than we used to. When you cross the state line into FL, pick up some of the coupon books for hotels just in case you change your mind during the drive. We've found some fairly nice places in Tallahassee and Lake City. We like Lake City because then we are only a few hours away from WDW and get there early the next day and are refreshed and ready for fun. You'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do. :-)

Nah, we've done the drive straight through every year, I was just thinking maybe we'd stop this time....guess not, though. I do plan to stop when we cross to get the books though, just in case- thanks for the reminder! I remember the last time we went, we hit Tallahassee right about lunch and ate at McAlsiter's. There were Gator folks everywhere (not sure why Gators there) and my son had fun (5 at the time) yelling Geaux Tigers. Anyway, I am still trying to look at all the options as I know we are not for sure to getin the room when we arrive for a nap. I'd like to be refreshed personally, but I know the baby won't sleep well in a hotel and then I won't either! It kills me not to have a definite plan, but oh well. I have to move on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLee View Post
Wehavesix and Brandip22 -- special "hi"! I live in Monroe (orginally from Haynesville -- yeah, how about the Golden Tornado -- State Champs --- again, and again, and again.)

Our next trip is first week of May. I retired last summer and spent a whole month in Disney, resort hopping.

Already planning my next trip after May. We have a Disney TA cruise scheduled, but may end up postponing it for another year.

We love LSU and the Saints!!!!
Hey VLee- we went to the champ games as niece was cheering. I love how two teams from up there won even though I went to Ouachita and had a hard time cheering for Neville! We saw the end of the Haynesville game, though. I cannot imagine staying for a month- wow! That would be so very cool. Maybe once the kids are grown we can do that- or at least I can do that!
December 2006- SSR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: