Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer

Ooo-de-lally Tour September 2007: Day 9 (An unusual dinner date!!)

Wednesday 26th September: SHAMU SHAMU

HURRAY
HURRAY
And
HOOOOOOOOORAAAAY!!

We were on our way to Seaworld again - which incidentally has been officially crowned my “happy place” until further notice.

Usual routine for the morning ensued. Up, washed, I Ride Trolly, arrived at park in good time. No problems getting into the park - the only issue we had was deciding what to do first. We did have a vague plan of action in that we definitely wanted to see Believe and were going to be dining with Shamu in the afternoon… it was to be our official Orca day!

Everyone else was heading for Dolphin Cove to feed the dolphins but having done this on day 1, and also having been to Discovery Cove since then, we opted out and headed for the Sting Ray area instead. Purchased four trays of little fish for $10 and spent quite a long time feeding the rays and taking vidoes & pictures of each other. The rays were WAY more hungry than on our first visit and were quite frantic to begin with. They settled down after a while though and we had a great time letting them swim over our hands a hoovering the fish up. There was a fairly annoying staff member on duty who had an issue with anyone above 4ft tall standing on the kids step - regardless of the fact all the kids were busy feeding Flipper over at Dolphin Cove and at that precise moment couldn’t give a monkeys about the rays. Not that I am above shoving small children out of the way - I will if I have to - but this woman would not leave people alone. It was all “Sir, it would be easier for you if you didn’t stand on the step” and “Mam, if you stand here you won‘t have to use the step” etc etc. It’s quite difficult concentrating on the picture or video you are trying to take with someone like this wittering on in the background… so I told her to go away, as did a number of other people. Politely of course. What she had failed to notice was that everyone was trying out different spots all around the pool and were quite happy deciding for themselves if they wanted to risk using the step or not.

Our intention was to go straight to Wild Arctic but for whatever reason this area of the park didn’t open till 10am. Still, we were keen to do as much as we could at each park and this gave us the opportunity to try out the Sky Tower. It wasn’t busy at all and we paid our $3 each and were on the next ride. Both really enjoyed this - we could see the Orca’s in their pools and took a good look at how Aquatica was coming along. Once back on terra firma we couldn’t resist the dolphins any longer and headed over to the Nursery area. Most of the dolphins were docked round the side of the pool and seemed very chilled out which was nice to see.

We were feeling quite relaxed ourselves - the sun was shining and it seemed like a good idea to sit out and have ourselves a lovely breakfast. We chose the Cyprus Bakery and opted of a dipped croissant, cheese danish and an OJ. All was lovely and I’ve got to be honest - the whole pace and atmosphere of SeaWorld really suited us more than the Disney parks we had been to so we were pretty much revelling in it!

During our trip the Clyde and Seamore show was closed for rehab which was a real shame but did leave an opening for Pets Ahoy. We made the 10.45am showing a little early so got to watch the Mime (who I believe would be working the C&S show had it been on) torture the late comers - very funny!
We both loved the show and loved the fact all the animals are rescues even more. I have had numerous rescue pets myself and know how great it is to build up an animals confidence and see them actually start to enjoy life! Hats off to the trainers and the very talented stars of the show.

Obviously Wild Arctic had opened by this point so we headed over, stopping briefly to watch the Pearl Divers do their thing on route, and also having a quick sqiz at Shamu’s Happy Harbour. We took the simulator route through Wild Arctic this time which was fun but I prefer the main attractions - the animals! We spent quite a long time wandering around and watching them. I particularly enjoyed seeing the young Beluga’s playing together.

The Shamu show was due to start at 13.00 and we were keen to get good seats as this was really our only opportunity to see it.

We hightailed it over to the stadium for midday and got a good spot for queuing. We did well to arrive early as although the park was quiet obviously EVERYONE wanted to see the show. We got great seats smack bang in the middle of the first row behind the splash zone and then proceeded to marvel at the amount of people who turn up with 5 minutes to go and seem surprised that there aren’t any seats!

I really enjoyed the show - the orca’s are beautiful and so was the music. The whole storyline is very cheesy but that, I think, is to be expected. Shamu was more than impressive and the trainers had a lot of energy! I preferred the Blue Horizons show but still enjoyed Believe and it was great to see the Orca’s do their thing.

We went straight to Pacific Point Preserve after Believe and bought some more fish to feed to the seals and sealions. These guys have such great personalities that I could watch them all day! I tried my best to get fish to the seals but the problem is that if you have to throw the fish too far the birds will fly in and steal it. Still, I think I managed to get them a fair share. We had riden Kraken on our first trip to Seaworld so our ride for today was to be Journey to Atlantis. Now, I would like to say at this point that I was right the sitting at the front is a good ploy as most of the wave goes over your head at the bottom of the drop. Unfortunately I was not aware of the little dip round the corner which sends some kind of tidal wave over the front of the boat. I was not at all impressed and had to wring out my trousers… not much I could do about my trainers though! We did buy the ride photo which in retrospect I am happy about - but at the time I was in a bit of a boo!!

I soon cheered up though as our next stop was the underwater viewing area at Key West. You’ve got to love the dolphins and there was also a random man outside with an alligator that I got to touch… very cool! He was softer than I thought he would be. Whilst in the area we also visited the manatee’s and then headed back through the park via Turtle point and the Dolphin Nursery (again!). The sky had started to look a little ominous and we took shelter in an arcade just in time. It was only a shower really and as soon as it looked a bit brighter we ran over to the underwater Orca viewing area. There were four orcas swimming around plus a couple who were coming in and out of the pool. The two youngsters were very playful and seemed interested in the people. I got some pictures and also a bit of video before it was time for our dinner date.

Thankfully the weather had cleared and at 3.55pm we were handed out lanyards and welcomed to Dine with Shamu.

We had a cracking table - in the middle right next to the pool edge! The food was yummy although it was a bit of a queue to get to the buffet and we also had ourselves a couple of beers. It was fantastic to see the orca’s up so close. We had a mother and calf - who was so cute trying to copy mum and the trainers seemed really pleased by the little ones behaviour. We got a talk about their training methods and saw some impressive up close tricks. The trainers also came round at the end to sign cards and answer any questions. The whole experience was great - the only negative I can come up with is that it was a little rushed to get food and sit down to make sure you didn’t miss any of the session. Obviously you were free to head back to the buffet at any point - and we did for dessert which was lush by the way - but I was more interested in watching what was going on in the pool!

The weather broke again after we had left our dinner date and we had to take shelter next to the Shamu Stadium. We felt very lucky that the rain came when it did this day. It could easily have ruined our plans by stopping the 13.00 Believe show or our Dine with Shamu but it didn’t! I felt badly for those who had gone for the later Believe show as we heard the announcement saying it was either cancelled or postponed because of the weather. Still, I didn’t feel too bad as we had done everything we wanted to do, and again had a fantastic day at Seaworld... and here are our happy faces to prove it!

Last job was to get over to the shop and buy our magnet and a couple of other souvenirs’ before hopping on the Trolly back to the hotel. Having had our dinner early we just popped into the the 7/11 for Slurpees and snacks and spent the evening at the hotel playing pinball and watching the season premier of Criminal Minds (which I love!)

I have made a little video of Blue Horizons and Believe:

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=c47a7e94.flv
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

great day. Love the piccies of Shamu. dine with shamu looks quite good.

My dd5 is going to marry shamu apparently, not quite sure how that is going to work out
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Another great day
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

What a wonderful day
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Lovely report. I love Sea World too, it makes a nice relaxing day after one spent lining up at Disney.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
KittyKitty
DIS Veteran

Great report! This is a different vacation then most, so I am enjoying it. Also liked the videos.

Couldn't find segment 7 tho. Want to know what the AK cast member told you.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
KittyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great day

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
Beth__WDW23/6/02
you can never mock anything until you have a try for yourself

Great day,and fantastic pics
Old 04-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

What a lovely day x

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone - we had a great time so it's fun to write about it.

If anyone is looking for previous installments all of the links can be found here:

Ooo-de-lally Tour - September 2007
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great trippie.Just off to read from the beginning.Glad you put a link up for the previous days.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

A lovely relaxing day. I love the pace of Seaworld and that you can just wander round soaking up the sunshine. I love the beluga whales, I could watch them for hours.

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

sounds like you had an amazing day

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

Sounds like you had an amazing day.

I'm rather enjoying the change of pace of this trip report...rather than non-stop Disney which some others can be (no offence meant to anyone, I'd be the same in Orlando trying to spend as much time in Disney Parks as poosible )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: