Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

united airlines

Just checking on united site and it seems like they changed their carry-on rules. Does anyone know if ill still be okay with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack? Thanks
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
Just checking on united site and it seems like they changed their carry-on rules. Does anyone know if ill still be okay with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack? Thanks
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx

"United Airlines will permit one bag plus one personal item (see below), per customer to be carried on the aircraft.

The maximum combined linear measurement (length + width + height) of carry-on bags must not exceed 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches (114 cm).

In addition to one carry-on item, you may bring one personal item such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or an item of similar size."

As far as I know, it has not changed recently.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

Thanks on the mobile site the backpack is no longer showing as being acceptable. Its not a huge backpack so fingers crossed
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL
 
n2mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Virgina
Posts: 17,754

I've always carried a regular size backpack (with my small purse and paperwork inside of it along with a few snacks) and as long as it fits easily under the seat in front of you, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been flying Jetblue for the past few years, but recently they left my airport and United is my only option now. We are booked on them next month, so it will be my first time flying them again. Not looking forward to it at all as Jetblue has spoiled me over the years. I wish they would return to Dulles, but don't think they will.
__________________
2014 TRIPS
Oct. 18-Nov 1 @ BWV

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,063

I fly UA frequently and nothing has changed in their carry-on rules. No airline can list every item which can qualify as a carry-on! As long as the item meets the size requirements, it's good. A backpack is fine.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Lady Lady
Mouseketeer
 
Lady Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 167

I have several flights booked on United and I am constantly told about the change of carry-on policy. I don't see any obvious change from all my prior flights. So I am constantly confused about what changed.
Lady Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lady View Post
I have several flights booked on United and I am constantly told about the change of carry-on policy. I don't see any obvious change from all my prior flights. So I am constantly confused about what changed.
I don't know who is telling you it changed, but I looked at it and I don't see anything different. Don't worry about it.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Lady Lady
Mouseketeer
 
Lady Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 167

It was stated on the United Home Page in Latest News (Changed bag rules and Optional Services.) And I saw the notice every time I look at my reservations on the mobile app and the regular web page.

However now they are now stating the change was only for international travel. They must have received a lot of questions about the "change". It definitely was not obvious like I stated before.
Lady Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran
 
LOVEMY3KIDDOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 5,607

How strict is the overhead bag size rule? More specifically, it says 22" high...my carry-on is 24". Many other airlines allow 24". Unfortunately, we are flying home on a different airline than what we are flying down. So, I would hate to check a bag on one and use it as a carry-on on the other (because of the fees). Thanks...just trying to plan ahead and see if I need to figure something else out for our carry-ons.
__________________
Me DH DS (17) DD (14) DS (9)

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
LOVEMY3KIDDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
How strict is the overhead bag size rule? More specifically, it says 22" high...my carry-on is 24". Many other airlines allow 24". Unfortunately, we are flying home on a different airline than what we are flying down. So, I would hate to check a bag on one and use it as a carry-on on the other (because of the fees). Thanks...just trying to plan ahead and see if I need to figure something else out for our carry-ons.
Carry-on bags have to meet size restrictions or they won't fit in the overhead compartments. If your bag is too tall, the bin won't close. See if you can find a smaller bag or you'll have to check it. The 22 inch limit is not unusual (AA, Delta, US Airways, etc., all have a 22 inch limit).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran
 
LOVEMY3KIDDOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 5,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Carry-on bags have to meet size restrictions or they won't fit in the overhead compartments. If your bag is too tall, the bin won't close. See if you can find a smaller bag or you'll have to check it. The 22 inch limit is not unusual (AA, Delta, US Airways, etc., all have a 22 inch limit).
Yeah...that's what I was figuring...I know we usually fly airtran and this bag has always been ok...now with United it looks like it'll be a no-go. You would figure all the overhead bins on aircraft would be standard. Oh well...another expense before we leave I guess. Thanks for the input!
__________________
Me DH DS (17) DD (14) DS (9)

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
LOVEMY3KIDDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Yeah...that's what I was figuring...I know we usually fly airtran and this bag has always been ok...now with United it looks like it'll be a no-go. You would figure all the overhead bins on aircraft would be standard. Oh well...another expense before we leave I guess. Thanks for the input!
They do vary but the problem is a 24" may not fit wheels in on many aircraft, it will have to go sideways which means it takes alot more space.

I wish they would have a standard, for the lower amount. It's ridiculous that some people drag on huge luggage that doesn't fit lengthwise and then other people are forced to check theres.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran
 
LOVEMY3KIDDOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 5,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
They do vary but the problem is a 24" may not fit wheels in on many aircraft, it will have to go sideways which means it takes alot more space.

I wish they would have a standard, for the lower amount. It's ridiculous that some people drag on huge luggage that doesn't fit lengthwise and then other people are forced to check theres.
I agree...if it were standard across the board, there would be no questions. I don't want to keep anyone from fitting their luggage but wasn't sure if there was maybe some wiggle room on the airlines that list a shorter limit. I think all airlines should go with the 22" rule and avoid any potential issues. Thanks for your response!
__________________
Me DH DS (17) DD (14) DS (9)

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
LOVEMY3KIDDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
I agree...if it were standard across the board, there would be no questions. I don't want to keep anyone from fitting their luggage but wasn't sure if there was maybe some wiggle room on the airlines that list a shorter limit. I think all airlines should go with the 22" rule and avoid any potential issues. Thanks for your response!
There's no wiggle room. You can't make a hard plastic bin bigger. All airlines cannot have the same luggage measurements because they fly different types of planes and the overheads are different sizes, depending on the type of aircraft. Bins are even different sizes on the same plane. For example, if you're flying on a 2 aisle aircraft, the bins over the middle seats are usually smaller than the bins over the seats on the sides.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
I've always carried a regular size backpack (with my small purse and paperwork inside of it along with a few snacks) and as long as it fits easily under the seat in front of you, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been flying Jetblue for the past few years, but recently they left my airport and United is my only option now. We are booked on them next month, so it will be my first time flying them again. Not looking forward to it at all as Jetblue has spoiled me over the years. I wish they would return to Dulles, but don't think they will.
I'm taking my first JetBlue flight out of National next Wednesday. I was not pleased to read the article in the Post about how overextended National is now. We'll see how it goes, but my hopes are not high. We've just been so spoiled by Dulles (especially those morning flights where there's barely a security line).
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.