Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

Anything I can do for nausea caused by antibiotics?

I'm taking a strong antibiotic for this sinus infection, tonsillitis and bronchitis that I have. As far as my actually illness, I'm feeling better -- although I get tired very easily.

What I can't stand is how queasy the meds are making me! I follow the instructions and take it after a meal. But it doesn't matter. For the next several hours, I feel hungover-queasy.

I teach young children, and there's no way I can work like this! There's also no way I can stay home until I'm off the meds. Suggestions????
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
JustineMarie
I am honored to be the first leader

Try taking it with a large glass of milk. My daughter is on strong medication and this seems to help her
10/84-offsite...3/98-Allstar Sports...9/01-POR...11/02-POR...12/03-POR...2/04-POR...10/04-SSR...11/04-OKW...1/05-SSR...11/05-OKW...1/06-BWV...4/06-SSR...8/06-BWV...1/07 BWV...5/07 BWV...8/07 OKW ...1/08 BCV...5/08 BWV...8/08 BWV...11/08 SSR...1/09 BWV...5/09 BMV... 8/09 DCL...9/09 CSR...10/09 OKW...4/10 DCL 8/10 WLV...11/10 WLV...1/11 DCL...11/11 WLV...11/11 BLT...1/12... BLT-4/12...BLT-1/13...BLT-8/13
JustineMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

You might have to ask for something else. It's important to take a full course and that's not likely to happen if they're making you feel sick.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013

Last edited by Pea-n-Me; 03-30-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Jockaroo
Can the Tag Fairy see a photo of your Scottish Terriers?
I still like corn in my apple crisp!

When I've taken the meds that upset my stomach, I would always take them with an Instant Breakfast (milk and the chocolate drink powder). It was the only thing that helped me.

You might also try eating some of the live culture yogurts. You might have upset the balance of good bacteria in your digestive system.

Feel better soon.
Jockaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Letís just say that Mr. Feeney came out ďwell doneĒ

DISboards Moderator

The antibiotics that we are usually on have to have a BUFFER in the belly to let it slide into and not cause an upset stomach....unless it says to take on an empty stomach then eat something and then take the med..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
DisneyPhD
Too old is when you stop breathing.
Keep them supported or else they will make you pay later
I sometimes worry every stupid thing I say is going to follow me around forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockaroo View Post
When I've taken the meds that upset my stomach, I would always take them with an Instant Breakfast (milk and the chocolate drink powder). It was the only thing that helped me.

You might also try eating some of the live culture yogurts. You might have upset the balance of good bacteria in your digestive system.

Feel better soon.
Yep eat yogurt, and take probioitic pills if you got them (you can get them at any health food store, even most drug stores and trader joes.) they are the culture in yogurt. When you take antibiotic's it wipes out all the bacteria, good and bad so always eat yogurt when you do. It might help with the queasy feelings too.

I am allergic to a big group on antibiotics (penicillin and sulfa based), and another big group makes me feel the same way you are talking about. (emicin). When I had a root canal when I was pregnant there was very few antibiotics I would take and the one I did made me SOOOOOOOOOOOO sick (like I wasn't already I was 12 weeks pregnant.) Bad memory.
DisneyPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Cool-Beans
Flippin' PINK
Finally admitted itís her flippin' cat
I always had a thing for Agent Almeida
Queen of the Crow

Sometimes taking them with food helps, often it doesn't.

IMO, the smart thing to do would be to call the doc and tell him that you keep throwing up and ask if he can give you something else.

You didn't ask, but as an FYI, you probably aren't allergic to the drug. You are probably suffering with nausea as a side effect of the drug.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

I'll try drinking milk -- but I hate yogurt, so that won't work.

I did tell the doctor, and she said it was a normal side-effect. I'm not throwing up, just feeling very queasy-icky.

6 more days!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
DisneyPhD
Too old is when you stop breathing.
Keep them supported or else they will make you pay later
I sometimes worry every stupid thing I say is going to follow me around forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie_me View Post
I'll try drinking milk -- but I hate yogurt, so that won't work.

I did tell the doctor, and she said it was a normal side-effect. I'm not throwing up, just feeling very queasy-icky.

6 more days!
If you won't eat yogurt consider the probitoic pills (they have cheese and other dairy products with them it it now too.) They might help.

Good luck, been there done that. I would talk to your doctor and see if any other meds will work. Because what I can take is so limited, I sometimes I have to tough it out.
DisneyPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I had a medication that made me feel like that once and the Dr. prescribed another medication for the nausea. When I got home and read the label its the same stuff that's in Dramamine or Bonine (seasick medication). You might want to try that as I found it helped.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
dejr_8
DIS Veteran
PhD - Who wants Pizza?
Pretty far out is a relative term

call for a new script... Does you Dr have a 24 hour answering service?
I would call today and get it filled today so you don't have to go to work sick.

I'd rather be approximately correct than absolutely wrong.
Ick and Yuck
Russell Hantz: Sole Survivor and Winner of Survivor Samoa
SHEEPLE: my new favorite word.
dejr_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
DawnSunshine
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineMarie View Post
Try taking it with a large glass of milk. My daughter is on strong medication and this seems to help her
STAY AWAY FROM MILK WHEN TAKING ANTIBIOTICS. Antibiotics work by "binding" with your body's enzymes on a cellular level to kill the infection. When you drink milk, the molecules in the milk bind to your enzymes BEFORE the antibiotic has a chance to bind to it, thus, blocking out the antibiotics ability to kill the infections and rendering the antibiotics not only useless, but creating a buildup of the medicine and creating a toxic environment in which your body can become septic. Dairy in general (but ESPECIALLY milk) shouldn't be eaten or drank while your taking ANY kind of antibiotic.
DawnSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
DawnSunshine
Earning My Ears

P.S. ~Pure Ginger herbal tea with honey is great in treating nausea unless the person taking it is under the age of 3. Honey can cause brain damage in toddlers.
DawnSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

DD takes a daily antibiotic for acne and has been told not to drink milk with it or to eat a lot of dairy at the same time she is taking it.

She has only had one episode of nausea which was when she took it on an empty stomach. Now she eats a few bites of dry cereal before she takes it and a few more after in the mornings, and after dinner in the evenings. She has not had trouble since.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
HeatherH
Earning My Ears
Okay, okay, I cry uncle, I AM quirky too!
I got the last tag of the night!

Please note the OP was in 2008!

Pretty sure the antibiotics and nausea are gone by now.

ZOMBIE THREAD bumped by a brand new poster with a milk and antibiotics agenda?
HeatherH is offline   Reply With Quote