Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2003, 11:55 AM   #31
TINKFAN3
Begone terrible TMJ fairy and bring TINKFAN3 relief!
How do you spell relief (for my TMJ)? M-A-S-S-A-G-E

Cool

My DS had sea lice 2 years ago. He had a rash everywhere and it itched unmercifully!
When I took him to the DR and asked about sea lice the DR laughed and said he never heard of it. Well, the next year we bought the Safe Sea for sea lice and no one had the bumps except for my DS#1who thought he was too cool...well the critters got his legs!
My advice is get the Sea Safe!
TINKFAN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #32
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

O.k. I bought the SafeSea for our upcoming cruise on 3/29. We're doing the Stingray City snorkle and planning on doing some snorkling at Castaway Cay. My question is do I need to apply the SafeSea for both or just on Castaway?

I'm allergic to some types of sunscreens so I'm going to have to try out the SafeSea before we go. My reaction to the Safesea may be worse than the potential of getting attacked by Sea Lice!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #33
TINKFAN3

I would put it on both places. I am unsure what is the 'season' for sea lice. You may want to find that out since you are sensitive to sunscreen. It could be you won't need any. We go in June and I know that is the season for the pesk things.

Have a great cruise!!
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 8,2003 8:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to my Disney Vacation (June 8, 2003) :D</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'DW here we come!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Old 03-30-2003, 06:22 PM   #34
dizneykids
DCL Fire Cruise Survivor
Does NOT have too much time on her hands!

BriarfoxinWA...

when you return, please post your experience with the SafeSea. i, too, have very sensitive skin and have trouble with certain sunscreens. i've bought two bottles of the safesea (there are 5 of us with 3 days of planned ocean time), but am a little reluctant to use it myself given my hypersensitivity. sometimes, a reaction to a lotion can be worse than the problem that requires the lotion!
dizneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:38 PM   #35
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

dizneykids

why not test a little bit of it on your skin now...long before your cruise...
that way you'll know if you're sensitive to it or not...
Old 03-31-2003, 12:03 AM   #36
dizneykids
DCL Fire Cruise Survivor
Does NOT have too much time on her hands!

oh, that i will do, but with sunscreens, i've found that what seems okay at home can be a problem when applied and worn in intense sun and heat. it's weird, i know, but that's my life
dizneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #37
Verniebird
Earning My Ears

Sea Lice

Do the beaches post anything saying anything about an infestation? Also, going on the May 10 Western with stops in Key West, Gr Cayman, Cozumel & Castaway Cay. Is sea lice more concentrated in the Key West/CC area? Or should we use it at Cozumel and Gr Cayman also? I have 1 bottle to use for 2 people, will that be enough?
Verniebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:46 PM   #38
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

dizneykids - I have the same problems with sunscreen. I can try it on a "test spot" prior to going and really using it and have not problems. But when I'm out in the sun with it on I would break out in a rash.

We all used the Safesea only at Castaway Cay. I had no problems at all with it. I did test it out at home, but that doesn't always work for me. We made sure that we snorkled in the morning fairly early and avoided stirring up the turtle grass. We didn't see any evidence of jellyfish at that time. We did have a family sitting near us on the beach come back from snorkling late in the afternoon that said the small jellyfish were terrible. (We did see some about the size of a fifty cent piece out at the adult beach.) Apparently they were very thick and their daughter had been stung.

On our 3/29 cruise the weather wasn't nice enough to try going to the beach anywhere else - so I can't comment on whether there were any posted signs about the Sea Lice.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:16 PM   #39
happylady
DIS Veteran

Re: Sea Lice

Quote:
Originally posted by Verniebird
Do the beaches post anything saying anything about an infestation?
Yesterday, we were at a great public beach (Carlin Park in Jupiter) just north of West Palm Beach. And, yes, they did post the possibility of sea lice.

Sea lice is a nickname, and probably only know in the Central and South Florida area. The water has to be in a certain temperature range for the there to be a problem....just as the water is warming up for the summer from @ March to July. In a post on this thread from a year ago, I related how my son became victim last year. We've never used any of the products on the market, but just rinsed VERY, VERY well after getting wet.
9/07 SDV Scrapbook Weekend at the Contemporary
6/25/06 Carnival Sensation -Bahamas
8/11/05 SDV Scrapbook Weekend at the Contemporary
8/13/04 SDV Scrapbook Weeekend during Hurricane Charley at the Contemporary
11/01/03 VWL
05/10/02 CSR
10/13/01 Disney Magic Cruise - Eastern Caribbean
Fort Wilderness 3/94
Fort Wilderness 12/85
Honeymoon-offsite 1981
WDW every year since 1975
First visit in 1973
happylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #40
laf
Earning My Ears

Last year, end of May, we ran into sea lice in Grand Cayman. Local divers told us the theory is it's an increasing problem due to the warming of the earth's oceans...

Well, we survived, and will look for preventative products this year!
laf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #41
Verniebird
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. I am currently on the May 10 Western and it is Sunday morning...heading into Key West. Will be sure to pack my SafeSea when we leave today.
Verniebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #42
AprilsZoo
Why worry?

Quote:
It's a giant ocean out there and there are lots of those liittle guys swimming around. Some of them may not be as smart as the others and may not know that their 'season' is over, or they may have lost their calendar.
Obviously, some must survive the "off-season" in order to reproduce the following year
Could be that they move out to deeper or warmer water during part of the year and therefore humans aren't exposed to them during those months.

April & the Zoo
2 Zookeepers & a house full of monkeys

Why worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better.
~~~Walt Disney
AprilsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #43
LG123
Mouseketeer

Question

Do I need to worry about the Sea Lice in December?

Disney Wonder 12/4/11 ~ B2B Mariner of the Seas 11/1/09 & 11/8/09 ~ Freedom of the Seas 9/07 ~ Explorer of the Seas 10/06 ~
Rhapsody of the Seas 10/05 ~ Disney Magic 12/03 ~ Majesty of the Seas 9/03 ~ Majesty of the Seas 11/02
LG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:59 AM   #44
snowiit
DIS Veteran

We're cruising in just about 3 weeks. Is there anywhere at a brick and morter store that you can pick this up? I'd be worried if I ordered online it might not get here in time.

Nancy
Old 07-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #45
TINKFAN3

We got back from our long....vacation a week and a half ago. We did not use 'safe sea' and this time no one was infested with sea lice. We went into the ocean at every stop too. The ocean was 10-15 degrees colder then normal so this may have had an effect on the sea lice. We looked for safe sea at the normal spots where we found it years prior-Ron Jon's and Cocoa Beach Surf-but they don't carry it anymore! If you have time and don't want to chance an encounter I suggest ordering it. You will not be able to purchase it at the corner pharmacy.
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 8,2003 8:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to my Disney Vacation (June 8, 2003) :D</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'DW here we come!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: