Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
LaLalovesWDW
DIS Veteran

Apparently going to WDW solo is "sad and depressing" LOL

I'm running out of my snappy one-liners to come back at those who think that traveling ANYWHERE solo is "sad and depressing." I'm here at WDW now since Monday and, other than the constant reminder that I need to work out more because my body is like a bowl of jello right now, I have been having a wonderful time!!! But at least once a day, I run into someone who gives me this look like I just told them I have terminal cancer when I tell them Im here solo... one guy even said that the thought of him going on a vacation alone, especially to Disney is "sad and depressing." As I said to him, "aww whats sad and depressing is that the obvious insecurity in your personality renders you handicapped in initiating new interactions and experiences without the crutch of others, but its ok...bless your heart." I said it smiling so it wouldn't sting as much, but he got the point. LOL I really don't have that generalized idea of those who chose not to travel solo. I do understand that this is not everyone's cup of tea...but don't knock my hustle if its what I enjoy just because you don't understand. But I digress... heading to Bongos tonight for good Cuban food and drinks!!

Fun day trips - 1978 and 1986 * Offsite - 1990 * Offsite - 2002 * CBR - Christmas Week 2004 * CBR - December 2010* AKV - May 2011* WDW Dolphin Dec 2011* *CBR~Aug 2012* *CBR~Aug 2013*SSR ~ Dec 2013* *SSR ~ April/May 2014*

Just Me ,DD , and DK
LaLalovesWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
barbaraann
Chicago Gal

Some people can't do anything alone. Personally, I love going solo, and I have a trip coming up in August.

I hope you continue to have a wonderful time on your solo trip.

Don't worry about those who don't understand. Not sure why people feel the need to impose their feelings on others, and discount your feelings.
barbaraann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Disfan1968
Mouseketeer

Good for you! I hope you have a blast. And I hope you are using Disney trans so you can enjoy a few cocktails at dinner!
2014 Art of Animation.
Next Trip: Port Orleans Riverside- Summer 2015
Disfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
SueDonym3
Mouseketeer

Yup!

total strangers or people I know seem to react the same when I say I am going alone...esp. to Disney! My favorite was the time a friend suggested I travel with someone else...My response was, I know I could. But I do not want to. That is the difference. Glad you added the "bless your heart" that always softens the blow...
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
cajunbaby1
DIS Veteran

Well I went back in Dec and absolutely loved not having somebody say... what another shop, are u having yet another margarita? LOL I loved every minute of my 8 day stay. No worries or cares. Yes at times I got a little sad, but quickly got over it. I'm planning on going back this Dec. you do all toss little things you don't get to do when u travel with others. Or better yet do absolutely nothing at all and hang out at the pool ( pool bar)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
Goldensonny
Earning My Ears

I've long since stopped caring if people think it's weird to go to the parks by myself, or anywhere for that matter. I've got my first trip to Disneyworld at the end of this month, and after that will head down to the Caribbean. Slowly wandering the parks for five days followed by a week of sitting on white sandy beaches, enjoying tropical beverages sounded like a good time to me. I hope you enjoy every minute of you sad and depressing vacation!
Goldensonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
ArielseekingEric
Mouseketeer

I loved going solo. No deciding what to do, no meeting up for lunch. Stopped to do attractions/movies that my other friends won't stop with. Eating what and when I want. Leaving hotel when you want. Some of my friends just "have to eat breakfast in the food court" before leaving for the park. (As long as I have coffee and granola bar I'm fine). Able to park hop if wanted. I have gone with groups as small as just 2 and as big as 8. I like my solo time. I even went to Australia last year solo. (Couldn't find a travel mate due to price). Had a blast.

Enjoy your time.
ArielseekingEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Vino Monkey
Earning My Ears

Last edited by Vino Monkey; 07-02-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: deleting profile
Vino Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
pkelly6
Mouseketeer

Love traveling solo! Doing what I want, when I want. Not worrying about any one else. Love, love, love. Enjoy!
pkelly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Irishman
Earning My Ears

Love going solo...MY pace do what I please.I have meet different people from different places and laughed.....I missed going this year..hopefully later in the year if all goes well
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I haven't gone completely solo yet, but in September I will go 4 days solo before DH comes (for another 3.5 days for TOT weekend). I absolutely can't wait!!! (especially since food and wine fest will be going on)

I had one day solo last year when BFF had a conference and it was so relaxing just going where ever I wanted, eating whatever/whereever/whenever I wanted.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Luv2Run
Mouseketeer

Thankfully, no one has ever commented on me being alone during the trips I've gone to WDW solo, but my snappy comeback would be "Well, I'm the best company I can find, so why wouldn't I want to share this with myself?". That should shut them up real quick.

Feb. 2011 - Offsite, June 2011 - Offsite/Contemporary, Feb. 2012 - Offsite/OKW, Nov. 2012 - All Star Music, Feb. 2013 - BLT/Offsite, Feb. 2014 - All Star Music
Next: Feb. 2015 - Port Orleans Riverside!
Luv2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Grimbold
Earning My Ears

I'm going to be going on my 1st Solo holiday next year and it will be to WDW.

The good thing about it -

I can do what I want when I want and not have to worry if the other person finds it boring, doesn't like it etc.

Will be strange, but hey. All part of the Journey :D
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

Will be there solo a week from tomorrow for almost a week-long stay - so excited, and don't care what anyone thinks! Enjoy (I know I will)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Suelala
Mouseketeer

I am in the middle of planning my first solo trip, and I am having so much fun with it! I will spend the first part of the trip with family, but I planned to stay several extra days after they leave. So far, I dont think I will have any problem filling up my time. I have booked Keys to the Kingdom tour (yay!), and am thinking about MNSSHP, too. I may have a dismeet for that one. I plan to see some of the other resorts, shop at my leisure,(and I can outshop many of my friends and family!), have a cocktail by the pool, a margarita in Epcot, and another one at Bongos. (Those are yummy!) No, the drinks will not be all on the same day! There is just so much to see and do, and I get to do it at my pace, stop when I want to, or go til I drop. I might feel a little lonely at sit down meals, but I have made several dining reservations and I am not going to let it stop me. I am counting down the days!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: