Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
To be honest I am not a doctor so I can not answer those questions for you, I wish I could. I only know what we were told about my son's issue which is different from yours. It sounds like you are scared of it being more serious. From what you have writen I believe you know what would make you feel better. First, call you mother so you have someone close to you to talk to about it and second, call your doctor and tell him/her your concerns and write down the questions you have asked here and get an experts opinion so you will feel completely comfortable in what and why. I am sure even talking to your doctors nurse might help you feel less fearful. Let us know what happens until then you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Thnaks so much for your support and help. But when I tell my mom, she always says: "leave it... it will go away eventually, or: I don't want to go to the doctor again...." You will also be on my thoughts and prayers. Hope your DS will be ok during surgery. Please tell us what happens with him...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

I still think you would feel better calling the doctor and at least speaking with his nurse to get your questions answered. I do feel that if you doctor is saying not to worry that you shouldn't but I also understand why you are worried. I will let you know how things go.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Thanks alot! ( not being sarcastic)
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #19
MiniGirl
DIS Veteran

Disneylover2, I have been going back and forth about what to say to you. I don't know how old you are, and I feel I should be talking to your mother instead. Is it hard? Like a peanut is under your skin? Or is it kind of soft? Like it might be fatty tissue. Regardless, please, please, please, go get this checked out. Keep going to doctors until you find one that will remove it. If your mom won't take you, tell her you want a doctor's appointment for your birthday, Christmas, or whatever other gift giving occassion may be coming up. That'll let her know how serious you are.

Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing, and more than likely it is, but at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.

eBay ID: Beachside*Designs -- Etsy ID: BeachsideDesigns

Last edited by MiniGirl; 03-27-2008 at 05:43 PM.
MiniGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGirl View Post
Disneylover2, I have been going back and forth about what to say to you. I don't know how old you are, and I feel I should be talking to your mother instead. However, please, please, please, go get this checked out. Keep going to doctors until you find one that will remove it. If your mom won't take you, tell her you want a doctor's appointment for your birthday, Christmas, or whatever other gift giving occassion may be coming up. That'll let her know how serious you are.

Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing, and more than likely it is, but at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.
MiniGirl, thank you for your concern. I am 12 years old(female), going to be 13 on May 25. Maybe I should wait one more month, eventhough you told me to go get this checked out right away.It got smaller overnight! Wow! Now it's the sze of a nickle! Hope it stays that way and then go away.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGirl View Post
Disneylover2, I have been going back and forth about what to say to you. I don't know how old you are, and I feel I should be talking to your mother instead. Is it hard? Like a peanut is under your skin? Or is it kind of soft? Like it might be fatty tissue. Regardless, please, please, please, go get this checked out. Keep going to doctors until you find one that will remove it. If your mom won't take you, tell her you want a doctor's appointment for your birthday, Christmas, or whatever other gift giving occassion may be coming up. That'll let her know how serious you are.

Well, it kinda semi. It's no like really hard like a paenut, but it's not that saoft. You can move it a bit. When you touch it you feel a firm mass. But reaaly, it's more hard than soft. Still there............

Last edited by Disneylover 2; 04-09-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Disneylover 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #22
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

I felt my mouth hurting when I swallowed and guess what? I saw an infected tonsil! It's on the same side as my enalrged lymph node. The tonsil isn't with white dots, so that's good news. it's just bigger than normal and it hurts alot. angwill, how is your DS?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #23
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

bump
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #24
angwill

DS's bump is still there but we set up with the surgeon to get it taken out and biopsied on the 21st. My DS voiced that he would really like it removed because he is uncomfortable with it being there. I was talking to a friend who said he has had a swollen lymph node since he was a little boy and he is in his 40's now and has never worried about it. I forgot to ask if he ever even told the doctor about it or chose not to. Different strokes for different folks. Ironically, my DS has only had a flu for one day all winter so he has had no infections. Hope your sore throat gets better.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #25
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
DS's bump is still there but we set up with the surgeon to get it taken out and biopsied on the 21st. My DS voiced that he would really like it removed because he is uncomfortable with it being there. I was talking to a friend who said he has had a swollen lymph node since he was a little boy and he is in his 40's now and has never worried about it. I forgot to ask if he ever even told the doctor about it or chose not to. Different strokes for different folks. Ironically, my DS has only had a flu for one day all winter so he has had no infections. Hope your sore throat gets better.
Thanks! Prayers for DS and you!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Going to doctor this week...hopefully. Sore troat isn't gone yet. It's been 13 days, maybe he can give me antibiotics or something. 3 days 'till angwil's DS biopsy..prayers everthing goes well!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #27
cgrobin
Earning My Ears

I guess I should start off by mentioning I'm a Hodgkin's Lymphoma survivor....

If you have a bad feeling about the node, you should follow insist on a biopsy as it's the only way to definitely know if a node is cancerous or not. If it's nothing, you'll have peace of mind. If it's something, you catch it fairly early.

Most doctors presume because lymphoma is rare, it's not lymphoma.

Nodes enlarged do to lymphoma are NOT painful. Sometimes there are other symptoms, sometimes not. I had no symptoms other than the mass on my neck.

There are three types of biopsies.

Fine needle rarely get a good sample, so it can be a waste of time.

Core biopsy (what I was diagnosed from) can be done by some Ear, Nose and Throat doctors in the office. The numb the area so it's not painful.

Excisional biopsy is the removal of the entire node. Best 'sample', but has a slight chance of causing lymphedema.)

For more information on Lymphoma, Google lymphomainfo
cgrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #28
Disneylover 2
I'm DISappearing!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrobin View Post
I guess I should start off by mentioning I'm a Hodgkin's Lymphoma survivor....

If you have a bad feeling about the node, you should follow insist on a biopsy as it's the only way to definitely know if a node is cancerous or not. If it's nothing, you'll have peace of mind. If it's something, you catch it fairly early.

Most doctors presume because lymphoma is rare, it's not lymphoma.

Nodes enlarged do to lymphoma are NOT painful. Sometimes there are other symptoms, sometimes not. I had no symptoms other than the mass on my neck.

There are three types of biopsies.

Fine needle rarely get a good sample, so it can be a waste of time.

Core biopsy (what I was diagnosed from) can be done by some Ear, Nose and Throat doctors in the office. The numb the area so it's not painful.

Excisional biopsy is the removal of the entire node. Best 'sample', but has a slight chance of causing lymphedema.)

For more information on Lymphoma, Google lymphomainfo
Thanks on the information.

Update:
I went to the doctor, and he did NOT want to biopsy it. He jst said that the node is still enlarged because there's a bacteria there and the node keeps it there so it won't go to the rest of my body. He said that the node will stay enlarged for the rest of my life.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #29
cgrobin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover 2 View Post
Thanks on the information.

Update:
I went to the doctor, and he did NOT want to biopsy it. He jst said that the node is still enlarged because there's a bacteria there and the node keeps it there so it won't go to the rest of my body. He said that the node will stay enlarged for the rest of my life.
Nodes do swell when they are dealing with infections. When we get 'swollen glands', it's the nodes handling infection. And they usually go back to normal size when infection clears up. They don't usually 'last forever', and the definitely don't hold the bacteria there forever.

He claims it's bacteria. Did he say which type of bacterial infection? Did he put you on antibiotics? Unfortunately a lot of doctors blow it off as an infection, even though they can't find evidence of one, without checking for lymphoma.

Is it only one node? Is it on your neck right below the ears (where I'd get swollen glands as a kid) or someone where else?

Did he check your other nodes manually? The proper way to see if other nodes are involved is to have a CT scan. Some nodes are inside the body (chest, or stomach area) and can't be felt by examination.

Common areas where lymphoma appears is by the collar bone, under the arms and in the groin near where your leg is attached.

I hope the doctor can find and treat an infection. It just upsets me when they dismiss a swollen node with excuses, not diagnosis.

Can you imagine a woman telling her doctor she's got a lump in her breast, and being told it's probably a cyst and to do nothing? They do it to lymphoma patients all the time.

When I was first diagnosed I went through x-rays, a battery of blood tests for everything from mono to Cat scratch fever. I had high dose antibiotics that made me sick, but didn't shrink my nodes. The checked for oral, breast and lung cancer, figuring one might have metasticized to the nodes.

Finally I had a CT scan that showed not only were the nodes in my neck swollen, but also in my chest between my lungs. The biopsy was the last test, and proved it was lymphoma. It took over a month to rule out everything else, before they'd run the test to prove what it was.
cgrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #30
angwill

Disneylover,
Good news with my DS his lymph node they removed was benign so nothing to worry about. I really wasn't worried but I think it made him feel better.

Angela

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: