Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #106
kathi29
DIS Veteran

Let's see...

Assorted candy to split between the kids baskets and eggs that are hidden -$20
2 iPods - more than I care to admit

On the bright side, we reuse the baskets every year. When DD was a baby I bought nice baskets for the kids, and we have used them every year.
kathi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #107
juliana_sd
DIS Veteran

Wore clothes we already had - $0
Basket, grass, plastic eggs - saved from years past, $0
Candy - Maybe $10 total but about 75% of it got taken to work. (I put a few pieces in the plastic eggs, plus a chocolate bunny)
Gramma got a DVD to put in there so $0 for me
Flat of strawberries from the strawberry field for Easter breakfast and for strawberry pie - $30 (That was my big splurge!)

$40 total

ASMo May 2008 - We're baaa-aack
Our mother/son, too much fun, SURPRISE ENDING vacation!
juliana_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #108
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana_sd View Post
Wore clothes we already had - $0
Basket, grass, plastic eggs - saved from years past, $0
Candy - Maybe $10 total but about 75% of it got taken to work. (I put a few pieces in the plastic eggs, plus a chocolate bunny)
Gramma got a DVD to put in there so $0 for me
Flat of strawberries from the strawberry field for Easter breakfast and for strawberry pie - $30 (That was my big splurge!)

$40 total
A flat of strawberries for $30!!!! Our strawberries are running $8/flat ... are those strawberries made out of gold?

For our Easter, I spent maybe $15 on goodies for her basket... I really only spent about $10 (including buying a new pail/shovel combo as the basket) but my mom freaked out that I didn't buy any candy to put in it for her so she picked some up ... gotta love Nana's. I don't honestly see why a three year old needs a bunch of candy, but hey, what do I know, I'm only her mother.

Other than that, we didn't do anything else. We aren't religious, so no need for new church clothes and I worked all day serving people who came out for breakfast, so I just made a lot of money. We didn't do anything special for dinner either, as I was too tired after working all day ... I think we had chicken nuggets.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #109
lntsmom
Soarin' is addictive!
I got home and realized I only got 3 sets of arms

I have two boys...

I bought each one a basket for his first Easter and reuse the baskets every year, so no cost there.

The one thing that shocked me was the price of grass this year. Mind you, in the town where I live the choices are two grocery stores or WalMart. I paid $1 each for 2 bags of grass. $2

Candy (1 mixed bag of chocolates, 2 bags of jelly beans, 2 chocolate bunnies, 1 bag of gumballs, 1 bag of malted milk balls) $13

Plastic Eggs (This is the first year in 12 years I had to buy plastic eggs...my old stash didn't make the move with us.) $3.50

Clothing...my older son needed a new shirt/t-shirt $21 on a good sale at Kohls. Everything else was either purchased last year or was hand-me-downs. $21

Eggs and vinegar $4.14 (I had dye I got on clearance last year.)

Filler for baskets (Two PS2 games, 2 finger kites, bubbles, 2 books, bubblebath, plastic horseshoes game) $70

Dinner at Cracker Barrel: $26

The clothing I don't really consider to be an Easter cost, as my son can wear the outfit to school regularly. The plastic eggs will get reused, so that cost is negligable, too. The biggest expense was the PS2 games. I spread the cost out over 2 months, so it wasn't too painful this year.

I have to add a question here, after reading the other posts: if you aren't Christian, why would you celebrate Easter or at least adopt the traditions of the Easter celebration? Some years ago we had wonderful neighbors who were Hindi. On Easter I invited their young son to come gather eggs at our house. They reciprocated by inviting my son to one of their holiday dinners. But, they didn't take up a tradition of giving Easter baskets and I don't even remember the name of their holiday. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't Christian would celebrate any of the Christian holidays.

Easter isn't about spring...there are pagan holidays that celebrate spring. Easter is about salvation and eternal life: it is about Jesus Christ sacrificing himself for our redemption. As others have mentioned, Easter is the most important holiday in the Christian tradition. In the Catholic church, Easter Vigil is the most important Eucharistic celebration in the church year. My family observes Lent beginning with Ash Wednesday and observes and prepares by fasting, abstinance, and attending Holy Week church services in addition to regular weekly services. We also take part in service activities during those 40 days. Easter is not about the baskets and candy, it is about a celebration of eternal life. Without the observation of personal denial during Lent, the Easter message is fairly hollow. All of the trappings that go along with it are signs of celebration- the celebration of Jesus' personal denial in return for our eternal life. They are ways to initiate children into the beliefs of our faith...providing symbols of new life to strengthen the gospel message.

I can't imagine any circumstance under which I'd decide to celebrate something I don't believe in.

And, as a comment as to why we do baskets and eggs and new clothing...they aren't antithetical to the message of Easter at all. Easter morning is THE celebration. Everything leading up to it is solemn, but Easter morning is about joy. As Christians, my children understand the symbolism of the things we do to celebrate. They aren't worldly and meaningless.

Last edited by lntsmom; 03-24-2008 at 05:25 PM.
lntsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #110
mamalle
DIS Veteran

Great post Intsmom

we have these questions on our refrigerator door this week:

kids- How would you explain to a friend why we celebrate easter?

Parents- which do you think is more significant for christians: Jesus' birth or Jesus's resurrection?
mamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #111
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lntsmom View Post

I have to add a question here, after reading the other posts: if you aren't Christian, why would you celebrate Easter or at least adopt the traditions of the Easter celebration? Some years ago we had wonderful neighbors who were Hindi. On Easter I invited their young son to come gather eggs at our house. They reciprocated by inviting my son to one of their holiday dinners. But, they didn't take up a tradition of giving Easter baskets and I don't even remember the name of their holiday. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't Christian would celebrate any of the Christian holidays.

Easter isn't about spring...there are pagan holidays that celebrate spring. Easter is about salvation and eternal life: it is about Jesus Christ sacrificing himself for our redemption. As others have mentioned, Easter is the most important holiday in the Christian tradition. In the Catholic church, Easter Vigil is the most important Eucharistic celebration in the church year. My family observes Lent beginning with Ash Wednesday and observes and prepares by fasting, abstinance, and attending Holy Week church services in addition to regular weekly services. We also take part in service activities during those 40 days. Easter is not about the baskets and candy, it is about a celebration of eternal life. Without the observation of personal denial during Lent, the Easter message is fairly hollow. All of the trappings that go along with it are signs of celebration- the celebration of Jesus' personal denial in return for our eternal life. They are ways to initiate children into the beliefs of our faith...providing symbols of new life to strengthen the gospel message.

I can't imagine any circumstance under which I'd decide to celebrate something I don't believe in.

And, as a comment as to why we do baskets and eggs and new clothing...they aren't antithetical to the message of Easter at all. Easter morning is THE celebration. Everything leading up to it is solemn, but Easter morning is about joy. As Christians, my children understand the symbolism of the things we do to celebrate. They aren't worldly and meaningless.
I didn't see any posts where anyone said they didn't celebrate or believe in Easter, but since I mentioned buying toys to celebrate Spring in my post I feel I should clarify. We do believe in Easter and celebrate Easter. That is separate from the reason why I buy toys. The toys are to celebrate Spring, the church service and family time are to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. To us spring means rebirth so it seems appropriate to me that we put outside toys in an "Easter" basket.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #112
Heather1101
Mouseketeer

2 Spongebob DVD's for DS7 -$24
1 DVD for DS13-$14
Jamba Juice Gift card for DS13-$10
Candy-$15
Easter egg dye kit $1.44
2 Doz. eggs $4.44

Assorted fruit and dip for Easter beach party w/ friends - $10

$78.88 total

If we were to cook our usual Easter dinner, it would have added $20 to the total.
Heather1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #113
DawnM
Dawn

I actually REBEL against getting new clothes for Easter!

We wore clothing we already had.

I spent about $8 for candy (bought Valentine's Candy for 75% off after Valentine's Day).

The Easter Baskets are cute cloth type that i re-use every year.

All the kids care about is that I hide Easter eggs for a hunt for them.

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #114
barbeml
Has lots of magic to share with others!
Is Test Track Ever NOT Broken?
Kyan will never love me
Wanted Dead or Dead: The thief who stole my Mickey antenna topper

Quote:
I have to add a question here, after reading the other posts: if you aren't Christian, why would you celebrate Easter or at least adopt the traditions of the Easter celebration? I can't fathom why anyone who isn't Christian would celebrate any of the Christian holidays.

Easter originated as the spring equinox celebration named for the Goddess Eoster, so yes, Easter IS ABOUT SPRING.

I am not religious, but joyfully celebrate Easter to welcome spring. I'm sure the economy appreciates all of the non-Christians who celebrate spring.
I'd rather pay The Mouse than a shrink. '84 Offsite. '97 & '98 Port Orleans. '99 Disneyland. '00 Port Orleans. '02 Poly. '03 & '04 CBR. '05 POFQ & CBR. '06 CSR. '08 CBR & Poly. '09 Poly. '10 Poly. '11 celebrated the big 50 at the Poly! '12 FIRST DCL/Polynesian! March '14 First Stay at WL / Oct. '14 Rum Runners at WL / 3/15 Yacht Club
barbeml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #115
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well ... to answer your question ... my parents brought my siblings and I up in a very strict Southern Baptist home. My mother didn't believe in showing us other religions, so I didn't learn about most religions until I was in 10th grade. Maybe it was b/c of my mother's strict upbringing, but I am choosing to teach my daughter about all religions. I am agnostic, but don't believe in teaching my daughter that she has to believe these things b/c I do.

She only gets an Easter basket b/c my sister is 10 and a diehard believer in things like the Easter bunny and Santa ... so how do you explain to the 10 year old why the three year old didn't get anything. Out of all the holidays we've celebrated so far, my three year old has liked Hanukkah the best. We haven't even gotten into the fact that Christians like Nana believe that Jesus was ressurected on Easter ... we have plenty of time for that.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #116
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

I actually just wrote about the opposite of this on my blog. Check it out!

Easter on the Cheap

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #117
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

2.50 1 Parsnip Pete, really horrible chocolate for almost 15 year old DS who insisted he still needed an Easter basket

Free Church

1.39 Boiled eggs from fridge to make egg salad sandwiches

Free Hershey's Pot of Gold for some semi decent chocolate

170.00 Dinner and tip at a Japanese steakhouse with both our children to celebrate Easter..... PRICELESS!

(We've started a new tradition a few years back as so many family members, or sometimes even us, are gone during Easter. We now pick a place we usually don't get to many times during the year. It is just us and our two children, eating together and enjoy each others' company. We did Greek Town last year. Dinner was cheaper than this year, but then we turned around and dropped 60 bucks on the bakery next door! LOL)mmm baklava!

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #118
SadieDog
Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open
Hell's Kitchen time
The thing got inside my shirt and was slithering around

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbeml View Post
Easter originated as the spring equinox celebration named for the Goddess Eoster, so yes, Easter IS ABOUT SPRING.

I am not religious, but joyfully celebrate Easter to welcome spring. I'm sure the economy appreciates all of the non-Christians who celebrate spring.
We celebrate for the same reason.
SadieDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: