Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #91
katerkat
I wine a lot...it makes me feel better

We don't do big time baskets. So Russ' was just:

$2.50 for a silly toy with jelly beans
$1.00 for bag of chocolates
$1.00 for a chocolate bunny
$17.00 for "Here Comes the 123s" CD/DVD (mainly because Mommy wanted it )
Basket and grass were reused and free, so less than $25 for the whole thing.

I spent $80 on mix-and-match shirts, shorts, socks and hat at Gymboree and made him wear the nicest ones of the bunch. Everything else can be worn all summer. And I made him wear shorts even though it's 40 degrees out.
katerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #92
sylvenmaid
SAHM to One Little Buzz Lightyear!

I spent less than $40 on Easter this year including items to make gift bags for my religion class of 12 kids. The most expensive thing I bought was a webkinz for ds. We don't do special outfits here since it's just ds and no one on either side of the family cares. LOL! We don't really do much on Easter Sunday honestly. We did have a big BBQ at my mom's yesterday but I used meat we already had like chix and pork chops. I was able to clean out my fridge and freezer plus I have enough leftovers for a couple of days. No cooking for me!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #93
lorisnuts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnna4140 View Post
Payment for my sins when He died on the cross - priceless!!!!
Well said!!!!

My daughter doesn't like candy. She would rather have an apple than a hershey bar. So I do get her things like art supplies, gel pens, a journal,or stuffed bunny.

But this year My DD just couldn't figure out how the Easter bunny got her the exact 2 pairs of flip flops she wanted from disneyshopping this year.
lorisnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #94
lisaj68
Mouseketeer

let's see......

a night at the museum dvd for $10
1 bag m&ms $2
1 bag chocolate $2
peanut butter cup eggs $2
jelly beans $2

$18 divided by 2 baskets = $9 ea.

both girls were able to wear their dresses from last year, older dd needed new shoes - $5 at walmart, other dd was able to wear her ds old shoes that were still in good shape.....
Old 03-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #95
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan2 View Post
When we were kids we used the same basket each year. On the night before Easter we would leave out Easter Baskets (with grass and cellophane) out and when the Easter Bunny arrived he would fill the basket.
That is how I did it growing up and so did DH. I can't imagine what the heck you would do with all those old baskets every year! Heck, I had seven siblings--could you even imagine??

I realized upon my kids finding their baskets that they hardly got any candy. I usually do some little gifts, which I did this year too, because I would rather cut down on the candy, but they really don't have a lot of it in there. Oh well. They have all been spending money on candy lately anyway!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #96
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Ok after reading other posts i am going to update mine:

DD-8
101 Dalmatians DVD bonus set- 20
fairies bulletin board, and wall decorations- 4.00 & 6.99
kangaroo webkinz- 12.99
Minnie slippers 4.00
new ds stylus 3/5
grace the dog -AG 18
Kit's scooter -AG 24
2 AG books-22
1 tinkerbelle book-4.00
1 big box smidgens- 6.25
1 GH Rudy the rabbit 5.99
Jelly Beans- 2.00
Peeps .99
my girls use the same basket and grass from their first Easter =0

DD- 12
Webkinz Himalayan- 12.99
Felicity Summer outfit- AG -20
3 AG books 25
Mario Party for ds-24
Felicity's Lamb-AG-8
Disney world karaoke machine CD set- 12.99
I big box smiggins-6.25
1 peeps.99
1 GH Rudy the Rabbit- 5.99
Jelly Beans- 1.99

DH spent $45 on his kids Easter gifts ages 15&14
I gave my mom $30.oo towards Easter dinner at her house

2 egg kits= 0 personal expense because the daycare children dyed eggs as an activity

Grand total just about $350. a lot ,but not bad for 4 kids, and dinner for a family of 6. I just prefer to give my kids books, and activities that foster their imagination , even in if it is Mario Party 8, at least they are using their brains to play it. I do buy some candy but I would rather spend more money on gifts then candy- just my personal choice.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #97
Mom B
DIS Veteran

Okay, this Easter was way different for us! The kids are all grown up now...until we moved to our new house last year I was still doing Easter baskets for the 4 grown kids, plus the spouses, plus the 4 grandkids...but since we moved and I can't even get AT the Easter baskets cuz they're in the shed behind a mound of snow...anyway, most of them were out of town this year so I spent about $6 in candy to have around the house (it was the only "dessert" we had for Easter dinner) including $2.19 for a little plastic toy filled with M&Ms for the 22 yr old daughter who has been staying with us (temporarily...)

The $162 for groceries I spent yesterday didn't count, right??? Except maybe for the ham, the frozen roll dough, gravy mix, and frozen corn...the other stuff was just stuff we'd pretty much normally buy.

Now if I could just get the REST of my spending down...!!
PO 11/92, WL 10/97, OKW/VB 1/99, ASMo/OKW/Royal Mansions 10/02, BWV 1/04, SSR/BWV 1/06, OKW/VB 1/07, SSR 1/09, VB/AKV/SSR 1/10, VB/OKW 1/11, VB/AKV 1/12, VB/First Members Cruise on the Disney Dream/AKV 1/13, BLT 9/13, 40th Anniversary OKW 1/14, VB/AKV/VB Family Reunion Trip 10/14 - The best is yet to come!

10/2004 DVC members Vero Beach 5/2008 DVC members Old Key West 1/09 DVC members Animal Kingdom Kidani
Mom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #98
jeankeri
I threw cartons of milk at yuppies but don't tell anyone! What gets talked about on the DIS, stays on the DIS!

I filled my 2 DS's baskets for $45. Really cut down from past years. They had a great day!!
Me, DS 18, DS 17 'the furbabies'
jeankeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #99
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

DD15 and DS12 each were given $15.00 to help pay for something they wanted. We did not decorate for the extra time was priceless for me. They both wore clothes that were already in their closests. Dinner was food I would have purchased normally. My kids do not usually eat candy/chocolate often but I went to the local candy shop (sorry I am a chocolate snob and they have the best chocolate) for $26.00 they got 1 small box of flats, one hollow small soccer ball, one small hockey puck, one white chocolate bunny (very small), 4 butter eggs, 2 molasses suckers, 1/4#sponge candy, and one small bag of jelly beans. So Easter was $56.00 and they will bring any leftover candy to school on Tuesday to share and it will be out of the house then and gone.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #100
Grumpy'sWife4Ever
DIS Veteran

Just a quick peek at the kids' baskets as they found them this morning......they are for DS 10, DS 6, and DD 3.5....

And I have to add that my six year old's FAVORITE item was a dinosaur pop-up book I found at Dollar Tree. I wish he would stay that easy to please forever.....
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #101
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Lets see how this breaks down:

They both got new baskets for $10 each. Now that they're getting older & aren't as hard on them they'll probably have them for a long time.

DS10 [$40]

-Jonas Brothers Concert t-shirt (bought by a friend at a concert) $30
-ScoobyDoo DVD (free from Motts applesauce) $0
-Shower gel from B&BW (got a free lotion when I bought it) $10

DD7 [$12]

-Hannah Montana Karaoke CD (free from Club Libby Lu) $0
-3 pairs of socks from the GAP (clearance) $2
-Pink Twinkle glitter from Club Libby Lu (On Clearance) $5
-4 little My Little Pony figures (after Christmas clearance) $2
-blue hearts & cross necklace (clearance from a Christian store) $3

Clothes:

DD: Dress $30 & tights $2
DS: Shirt $25 & shorts $2 (clearance at Wal-Mart)

Candy: about $10. 2 bags of wrapped candy & an oversized egg with candy inside for each.

So, lets see, about $140. I honestly didn't realize there was such a difference between the kids baskets. DD got more stuff but DSs stuff cost more.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #102
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaNJ25 View Post
Toddlers baskets- 2 DVD's $30, 2 sets of disney store flips and sun glasses $12, one large premade basket full off outdoor toys $12.00 =total for both of them $54

8yos basket; 5 hard cover american girl doll books $15.00, 2 Nintendo DS games $30, googles $1.00 total $46

15yo's basket; Contact lenses $25, went to walgreens and got misc items.. red bull, beef jerky, lead pencils, highlighters $15: total $40

also spent $20 on gertrude hawks candy from school fundraiser.

So approx total for 4 kids $160 YIKES!!!

I do buy dressy easter outfits since I know they wont wear them again. I did make my 3yo daughter a pair of custom princess jeans to wear.
I would love to know how you managed these so cheap!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #103
Tissa
DIS Veteran

I probably spent under $15 dollars.

Easter basket, grass & plastic eggs all saved from last year. Actually it's been about 3 years since I first bought them.

No new Easter Clothes, they have a closet full so no need to buy new for one day.

Candy consisted of a bag of jelly beans, a bag of individual packs of M&Ms and a couple of chocolate bunnies. They each got a bottle of big bubbles.
That's it. My mom has a way of placing everything that makes it look like they got lots of stuff. Besides the fun comes from finding the eggs and hiding them again to find again. They could do this all day.

Dinner came out of the grocery budget since we have to eat anyway so no added expense there.

Really I never saw Easter as a time to spend, spend, spend.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #104
holly7347
Mouseketeer

Lets see

I made the girls dresses. Not sure exactly what I paid for fabric. It was $8 a yard but 40% off and I bought 4 yards. Then I decided to use a different dress pattern so I needed more fabric. The additional fabric I bought was not on sale. About 3 yards at $8 each.

Each DD got a hat - $1 and $7

Only the youngest needed a new pair of shoes $9

They each got a DVD $15, $15.

And they each got a stuffed bunny $1, $1.

I don't buy them candy as they get enough from school and other family members. Easter spending is pretty low around here since they both have March b-days as well. The dresses I made doubled as Easter and b-day dresses and they wore them to get pictures taken as well so not sure that cost should all apply to Easter.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #105
timzagain
Rena

We've never practised the kids to elaborate Easter gifts. I did little gift baskets of candy once or twice. Then we started doing an egg hunt and did away with the individual candy baskets.

Now that they're are only 2 children in the family of egg-hunting age, we scaled back on the hunt. Bought way less candy, reused the plastic eggs for the fifth year in a row, filled some with money ($1 bills), reused baskets etc. The children are not allowed to keep the candy; it's the thrill of the chase for them. At the end of the hunt the candy is rounded up and everyone present, adults included, share in the goodies.

Easter dinner wasn't very elaborate either - had an extra ham that was given to us at Christmas and the usual Sunday fare.

We spend about $15 in candy - some of which wasn't even used. I've put it away to dole out as treats over the next few weeks
timzagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: