Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

New prescription glasses

I hate going shopping for new glasses. Has anyone comparision priced the major chains? I'm looking at Sears, JCPenneys, Pearle, For Eyes, Walmart. I have to have progressive lenses and a prisim.
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

My experience is that Sam's Club usually has the best deal and you don't need to be a member to use the services of the optical department.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

I utilize Costco!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

UGH - I just went through this. I ended up at Pearle, mostly because they were most convenient and gave me the AAA discount, which worked out better than their current "free pair" promotion, because believe me, you probably wouldn't want the ones they are giving you for free. I also had a coupon for a free eye exam.
I cancelled my Vision insurance because when I fugured out what I was paying in premiums, the $50 they gave me toward the frames just wasn't worth it.

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I've personally found Costco to be cheapest. Otherwise Lenscrafters/ Pearle with AAA discount.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I'm glad to see this thread! I am doing the same thing. Shopping for eyeglasses. Ugh. I went to BJ's and found a pair I thought was ok. With the bells and whistles it came to $237. I heard Wal-Mart has quality glasses for less, so I went there too. I guess I have shopping overload. The only glasses I liked were on a picture on a model in the Wal-Mart eye glass store. I asked to see that pair. They don't carry it. Who does that?! Advertise something they don't have? Ugh. So I didn't look any more.

The rectangular shape is really in now. I haven't found a pair that l'm comfortable with at this point. There are some variations on ovals that I'm not excited about. Nothing seems to stand out so far! I might need to wait.

I'll have to look into Costco and some of the others mentioned. Good luck to you OP (and me) finding the right pair at the right price!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
LAH LAH
1244.22 Miles from the Magic

PP~ Sorry you had a bad experience at WalMart...that is where we do all of our glasses shopping and have been VERY pleased.

Good luck with your search!
LAH LAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleconnection View Post
PP~ Sorry you had a bad experience at WalMart...that is where we do all of our glasses shopping and have been VERY pleased.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks. I'm sorry my experience came across as "bad". I was just frustrated. They did have a lot of designer frames and very competitive prices. The people there were very nice and actually did look and then remembered they didn't carry that one pair. I was polite about it. Thanked them after looking at all the frames for a good bit. I may go back when I'm really in the mood to try on frame after frame again.

Eye glass shopping is daunting. I should have my DH or a girlfriend go with me. It's tough to decide!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Bibbidi
DIS Veteran

I just ordered some progressive lenses with the anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings. My insurance paid in full for the eye exam and they covered $120 of my frames and $90 of my lenses. I still put out $250. Then I decided I hated what I ordered, so now I've reordered and am not sure about the cost difference. I ended up this time with a pair of Marchon Flexon frames. They are the flexible frames made of a titanium alloy. The only reason I got them was because they actually looked good on me compared to all the other ones I tried on, designer and all. I don't anticipate a big bump in price. Buying from my optometrist and having them do all the insurance paperwork was much easier than with my husband's prescription. He went to the same eye doctor, but then got his glasses at LensCrafters. Only real difference is he had his glasses in one hour and I'm still waiting (nearly 2 weeks since my reorder) for my new pair. The insurance though through LensCrafters had to be manually submitted by us.

By the way--try this website framesdirect dot com
You can upload a picture of yourself and try out lots of different frames. That's what I did so I had an idea of the style/colors that looked good on my face before I went back to reorder. My husband said one mistake was OK, but two was not
Bibbidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
sharonmickey
DIS Veteran

I shopped around for the best deal a couple years ago and ended up at Penneys (where they were having a sale). I liked the new glasses and the fit great. However within three months the finish was rubbing off the arms. I took them back and after a bit of complaining and haggling they exchanged them for a new pair. The same thing happened to the second pair. Penneys would not give me another pair.

I gave up and went back to Walmart.
5/11/10-5/16/10; 12/17/11-12/23/11 - Pop Century
sharonmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

Thanks all for the info. I think shopping for glasses is almost as bad as shopping for a new bathing suit. Maybe if I get alor of caffeine tomorrow I'll start comparative shopping. First thosugh, i have to visit home depot and get a price adjustment. The washer/dryer I bought just 2 weeks ago is now on sale. Wouldn't it be nice if what I hopefully get back from homedepot will pay for my glasses>
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
shelly3girls

Disney mom

I was pleasantly surprised at LenCrafters! I thought I would have to pay an arm and a leg for new glasses. Two years ago I paid over $300 for a new pair. It turns out that my insurance company now has negotiated prices at LC. I have a benefit of $100 towards glasses. I picked out expensive frames (about $200) and the most expensive lenses. After my benefit and discout for the negotiated insurance price I paid $90.

I was really happy especially since I did not even know about the possible discount. Their service was great also!
shelly3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
autumnbaby9
DIS Veteran

I buy mine from Costco. I had to payout of pocket because my insurance will only cover CL or Glasses, not both. Since my CL cost more ($250 for 4 boxes)I used the insurance on them. The frames I picked out were $39.99 and the lenses cost me $90.
autumnbaby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
pepperderr
DIS Veteran

My son who is now 8yo, got his first pair of glasses just a few months ago at Sears. They were very nice. I think the deal was buy one get one free so I bought him a regular pair and then paid a bit extra on the free pair because they have the magnetic sunglasses on them. I love those glasses and want to get a pair for myself before we go to disney world. The sunglass part is separate but fit the frame perfectly with a magnet. I was told they do have the adult version. I can never find a pair of sunglasses that fit my frames right. We went to walmart and hated them. They didn't seem to know what they were doing or anything about the glasses or insurance or anything. I would never shop there.
pepperderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #15
Forevryoung
DIS Veteran

We have a non-chain place here where I get my glasses. While they don't run sales, their prices are decent.

However, their customer service is amazing and they are wonderfully helpful! Getting a new pair of glasses is actually fun and pretty quick.

Maybe looking for a non-chain place would make it a little easier/more fun and personalized and then you can call around for the best price?
Forevryoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: