Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #121
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post
You're right....time capsule! It instantly took me back. I almost cried.
Memories from that trip....wow!!

Ok here we go, it was DH's first trip ever. We had been married 3 years by that point. I bought the trip with my first paycheck at my new job. I went through a travel agent because back then we did not have a computer/internet, and I hadn't been since 1984 with my parents. I booked us less than 30 days in advance! The travel agent did my ADR's and I didn't know half of what she was talking about. There was no dining plan then as far as we knew. We only had one ADR because we only ate one TS meal the entire 5 days we were there. It was in Italy. We were more CS people back then.

We drove straight through to Orlando in one day. It took us 14 hours. By the time we got there we were not amused. We were so sick of being in the car we couldn't even see straight.
We flew by the seat of our pants for the entire trip. No plans what so ever. But back then we were much younger, much thinner, and much faster. We got a lot done! We stayed at the Grosvenor because that was the only place that had an opening since I booked less than 30 days in advance. This trip was before Animal Kingdom, and while River Country was still open. We chose to do Blizzard Beach instead. I wish we would have chose RC since it's closed now. Back then there were no big thrill type rides at WDW. I think the biggest "thrill" ride was Space Mountain or maybe Splash Mountain because of the drop. BTMRR wasn't too bad either. I do not remember ever riding Pirates of the Caribbean. I rode it for the first time last year (2007). I have no idea how we missed it before.

One night we went to Pleasure Island. Back then you needed a ticket to get in even on the streets. We checked out every single club there for at least a minute or two all the way down the street. We did the comedy club and then we danced 2 songs at 8-trax and then headed over to Maniquins for the rest of the night. We got a little (read-LOT) tipsy, then got on the dance floor which slowly spins and when we wanted to get off, we didn't know where we were because it put us in a different spot than when we got on. That was a fun night! We walked back to the resort.

When I found the ticket, all these thoughts came flooding back. Then I immediately thought "WOW what a difference between then and now!" Now I'm addicted to planning and we know SO MUCH MORE than we did back then. It made me smile, abandon the flood in the laundry room, and run to get my camera so that I could take a picture of my 1997 Walt Disney World ticket with my digital camera to send to my husband in email at work, and to post on the internet to my friends on the DIS. My, my, my how times have changed.

Here is a pic of DH back then. He would kill me if he knew I posted this. The fanny pack is red not pink. It's a scanned picture so it's dark and the colors are off. He would soooo kill me if he saw this.
I only have this on the computer because I just did a picture slideshow for his birthday. I will have to go look for the rest of these pictures tomorrow. There is one of me too except my fanny pack is blue. I can't believe we both wore fanny packs.

I LOVE looking at old pictures from WDW! What a cool find. That picture with the fanny pack is hillarious. Are you gonna post the picture of you?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #122
Beana9802
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
This might have to replace Space Mountain as my new Background image! Ice is back with a brand new invention!

°o°

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #123
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Hey Blue, ya get a chance to dig out any more pics?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #124
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdisfan View Post
Our honeymoon was in Dec too! We got married on the 5th so we would have been there starting th 6th. DH also proposed to me in WDW.

Okay, so sorry Blue, I promise that's the last time I'll hijack your thread.

Boatwright's is pretty good, even though it's not real Southern food. We ate there in Feb. It would do in a pinch, since you're staying there. Did you decide where to eat that night?
I still haven't decided where to eat. I liked Scotts idea about GF so that's an option. I've got "stuff" (see below)going on right now and I can't seem to be able to do trip planning! It's killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
December, too...How funny

But we missed ya by a few weeks.....

December 25th thru January 8th

Blue...while you are there, you have got to hit I think it is called t he COTTON GIN at POR.....

Have the most fun Piano Player there...does drunk sing alongs....ya get the picture. ..but it is Disney ,so PG rated
Sounds like a fun time! Do they let kids in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmu View Post
So neat you found that ticket.
Wish I had a ticket from my first trip.
It was back in 1974

I love vintage pics.
Are you going to put more up?
Hope so.

Binder is looks good.
Mine needs help.
I have been neglecting it lately.
I love vintage pics too! I will be looking for more. Wasn't able to today....I will post why shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
I LOVE looking at old pictures from WDW! What a cool find. That picture with the fanny pack is hillarious. Are you gonna post the picture of you?
As soon as I can get to it I will post it. I mean, it's only fair right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beana9802 View Post
This might have to replace Space Mountain as my new Background image! Ice is back with a brand new invention!
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Then I flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop? Yo - I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

It is so scary that I still know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Hey Blue, ya get a chance to dig out any more pics?
Not yet. Hopefully tomorrow. See my next update to find out why.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #125
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

The Ticket / Counter Service

Ok, I was planning on talking about what Counter Service meals we may be doing but that will have to wait till the end of this update.

Today my washing machine died. I washed a load of clothes and it worked fine. I got to the 2nd load and it just died!! Can you freakin' believe it?? Do you think the ticket had anything to do with it?? Perhaps I should put it back under the washer to see if it starts working again. Needless to say, I was aggravated again today. Seems like stupid things just never stop around here. So, I was dealing with this today. Plus, doing workbooks with DS plus running errands. Then DS's soccer game was this evening. So, by the time we got home we had enough time to eat and clean DS up and put him to bed. I didn't get to look through the picture box.
The neat thing is that tomorrow I will head to my mothers to do my laundry because there is no way I'm letting it build up for 3 days until DH can go pick up a new washer. She has the pictures of our trip in 1984....or so she says. I haven't seen these in years!! I will be looking for those while at her house tomorrow. Then hopefully when we get home, I can go find the one's from 1997.

Ok, so on to the Counter Service locations.......
These are the one's we tend to enjoy or are considering trying this time:
Magic Kingdom:
Cosmic Rays
Columbia Harbour House
We were able to try both of these last time and didn't get a bad meal at either one. They are staying on our list!

EPCOT
Le Cantina De San Angel (Mexico) - We did this one last time and it was OK. I think the only reason I'm not saying "good" was because I really don't remember what it tasted like. I was sick, the wind was blowing all the food off of the table, and it started raining on us while we were eating. We may give this another try. Not sure though because there are so many to choose from in Epcot!
Electric Umbrella - May try if we are in the vicinity when it's time to eat.
Liberty Inn- This is on the list in case we can't find anything else that appeals to us in WS

ANIMAL KINGDOM
We are doing lunch for this one at Yak & Yeti so we probably won't be doing a CS here. But our list is:
Flame Tree
Pizzafari
Restaurantosaurus (McDonalds)

DISNEYS HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
Toy Story Pizza Planet - DS has already "told" us we are eating here.
Toluca Turkey Legs - this is for DH because he STILL hasn't been able to try that darn turkey leg!!

So that's our CS in a nutshell. What are your favorite Counter Service locations at Epcot??
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #126
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

sorry about the washing machine....

Tangierine Cafe is one of my favorites as far as food goes. Service was very slow though....
Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #127
jlindemer
Mouseketeer

Your CS lists look good. What family with a child under 8 can go to DHS and NOT eat at Pizza Planet???!!! It's on our list too! I think they would rather eat there than Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's!

Make sure you google the store that you are buying the washer at! I never buy anything without taking a coupon! Here's one for 10% off one item at Best Buy....https://moversguide.usps.com/img/cou...clientarea.gif. It's good until April 30.
As my DS says..."Mommy's Cheap!" I look at it as....Mommy's Cheap so we can go to WDW!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #128
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Sorry about your washing machine

I can't wait to take DS to Pizza Planet...that will be right up his alley

I don't really have a favorite counter service place at Epcot as i have only tried two, Sunshine Seasons(eveything was bland to me) or Electric Umbrella(had a bad experience there and have not been back yet )

Sorry I could be more help
Old 03-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #129
AUdisfan
DIS Veteran

We always eat at the Cantina de San Angel. Maybe this time you'll actually be able to taste food. I think it's good. That and the pastry shop in France are about the only places we ever eat at EPCOT.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #130
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post

Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Then I flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop? Yo - I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

It is so scary that I still know this.
Ice Ice baby.................
Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #131
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Sorry about the washing machine, that happened to us back in May, we had a huge pile of laundry to do and the washer just up and died on us. Luckily we were able to get a new one quickly.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #132
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your washing machine!!

We didn't end up eating anywhere at Epcot in October. If we were to eat CS it would probably be Liberty Inn - Alex & I are picky... and I don't like the lines at Sunshine Seasons - I think we ate there once (2002?) and had a lot of choices, but had to wait in 3 different lines (for a long time).
Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #133
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

The washing machine stinks. That happened to me last year. It sat in storage for 3 years so that might have effected it. Had to buy a new one.

If you like Fish and Chips, that CS in UK has great ones.

I didn't know until recently that Yak and Yeti had CS. We would have eaten there on our trip if I'd known.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #134
Shmu
DIS Veteran

Sorry about your washing machine.
Reminds us of what great technology we have today. (Well, until it breaks.)

I'll be waiting patiently for pics. Hope you have some fun time looking through them.

I'm with Jordan as far as CS meals.
Tangierine Cafe is my favorite. Discovered it last trip and it's the only CS meal I remember.

We have never eaten at Pizza Planet. I am wanting to try it this year, just for the novelty of it if nothing else.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #135
betsywdw
DIS Veteran
Any old tag

Sharky pimped it and now I'm here Glad to read along! I now need to back and catch up!

Official Stylist of Disland

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: