Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #31
Plantlady
I eat a lot of pringles while I'm at the computer
I always aim for 15 minutes

Our last directv installer just ran the line through the window. She claimed she couldn't' drill into the concrete wall. I didn't point out, that we had holes drilled into stone.. that I was just SURE there was a nicer way to do it. It was hot, we don't have AC, I had pitty on her. Now we have cords coming in through our window. Oh so lovely.

My brother's last installer, for Dish Network, used his computer desk as a ladder, even though my brother has a million ladders around his house, and broke it.

Nope, we don't tip installers.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #32
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

As with any service person that comes in my house for a period of time, I offer them a can of pop when they are done.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #33
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

No, I also didn't tip the PPL people when they came out in -10* weather to fix my power. I had NO heat no light nada! tipping was the last thing on my mind!

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Nope! i agree that tipping has gotten out of hand. I'll tip the waitress, pizza delivery guy, my harirdresser and maybe a hotel maid, but that's it.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #35
dizneenut
PINK is my signature color

No.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #36
oceano
Earning My Ears

Huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybet View Post
Poor guy, he had to work to do his job, how horrible!

I must be a really bad person because I have never tipped the installer, even when he had to dig a hole to install the dish. Guess I thought that was what he was getting paid to do. Funny he didn't act like he needed a tip, didn't say he was underpaid, just did his job.

Based on what some are saying the installer should have tipped me after I moved everything on the TV, in front of the TV and moved the TV so he could install a HD dish and THEN he checked and found out we couldn't get the HD signal because of trees.

This installer ran an extra line to the customer's bedroom and "christmas" paid the installer in the form of a tip. I salute her as a Central Floridian for doing the right thing in a "right to work state".
As for Dish Network you are right if you want to split hairs you don't pay them for the pole and if your installer is nice he won't for burying the lines from the pole mount. Keep in mind, that our economy dictates that DirecTV and Dish network use independent subcontractors to keep costs down which may differ from the "cable man".
oceano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #37
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Nope, I wouldn't tip the guy. They make way more than minimum wage. I might offer a glass of iced tea, a bottle of water or soft drink but that's it.

We just had a TV repairman here yesterday and we didn't tip him. He has to come back a second time (to install the new parts) and can't make it until August 11. On his computer it showed the "estimated labor" for the job to be $500! The parts are going to be $350. From the way it went yesterday I'm not even confident the new parts are going to fix it. The TV is under a 3-year extended warranty and it says if they can't fix it they have to replace it. With $500 labor and $350 for parts for a 3-year old 42" plasma (Magnavox) I think they should just give us a new TV. But at $500 for labor alone, heck no there will be no tip!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #38
Tikitoi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by of the seas View Post
When we got Dishnetwork 2 years ago, the installer was talking about all the tips he gets. We never thought to tip. That day we didn't have any cash on us, so we didn't tip. Today we are switching to Directv and I'm wondering if we should tip him. Do you????
For doing his job. NO WAY. Geez, where would it end? The other guy was prob just fishing for tips.
OPINIONS ARE ULTIMATELY DETERMINED BY FEELINGS AND NOT BY INTELLECT Disneyland 2X...Disney Cruise 1X...Disney World 9X...And still counting for ALL...http://www.disboards.com/showthread....804324...Vegas TR

You're just a board...get over yourself!

Tikitoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #39
DawnM
Dawn

NO! And any installer who hinted around like that with me would get a call to his supervisor.

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #40
servicetechdtv
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkeogh View Post
I gave my installer a RC helicopter, a RC truck, and a couple beers.
Thats cool. I have a 8th scale rc truck and I bet he really appriciated it. We work very hard for the little bit of money we make. Thanks for understanding .
servicetechdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #41
lil mermaid
DIS Veteran

Did I tip the guys who came four hours late, put a hole in my roof, and threw the old dish into my neighbors's pool? No freaking way.

They were actually so horrendous that we received a $250 credit on our bill.
10/2000, Wilderness Lodge
11/2001, our Disney Wedding at the Pavilion! Wilderness Lodge
5/2002, Coronado Springs
5/2005, 7 day Western on the Disney Magic - Maddie's first birthday!
5/2006, Maddie's first trip to the World! Wilderness Lodge - Maddie's second birthday!
5/2008 - Maddies 4th birthday, and Joey's first trip to the World! AKL
1/2010, Polynesian, WDW 1/2 Marathon
lil mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #42
mckryan
DIS Veteran

Our DirecTV installer was here at 8AM on Labor Day and got the job done quickly and cleanly. Normally, I am not a tipper in a situation like this, but he was a great installer out working on a holiday (probably getting holiday pay, I suppose), and I wanted to show my appreciation.
mckryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #43
ICF
DIS Veteran

nope....
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #44
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

Just because a job might be dangerous does not mean the person should be tipped. My Dh worked in manholes for years, in the middle of traffic in NYC, he did not expect anyone to tip him.

...........................bored much?
snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #45
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daquix View Post
Wow, I am really disgusted by some of the attitudes in this thread.

I usually just lurk around the forum reading posts, but I was so upset by this post and thread that I had to register. Do you have ANY idea how much of that $500 estimated labor goes to the actual installer? ANY idea? Probably about $45.

Yes, about $45 for standing on roof tops for 2-3 hours and installing heavy satellites, incurring a real risk of falling and KILLING themselves. Standing on roof tops on hot scorching days and blistery cold days.

I'm having DirecTV installed at my new house right now. It's a blizzard outside right now and the installer is on the roof right now, trying to shield his face from the wind and snow. I asked him if he was allowed to call it a day and come back tomorrow. His response was "Not if I want to keep my job".

These companies don't care whether their workers get injured. As long as the job is done. Earth to everyone:
  • These guys are NOT mailmen just walking the street. Mailmen don't stand on roof tops in blizzards.
  • These guys are NOT bellhops just carrying luggage to a room. Bellhops don't get paid half crap for a job that could very well injure them permanently or kill them.
  • These guys are NOT barbers just cutting hair in a warm and cozy salon with a TV.

For the love of all that is good just stop comparing these people to other jobs that do not equate in any way, shape, or form. Do you want to know how real the danger is in this field? Read this article:

I sure hope the home owner didn't tip him. Eh, why tip the guy for just "doing his job".

Then I assume you must tip the construction workers and laborers who build your home too, right? After all it's a dangerous job, it's not just sitting in a cozy salon or "just walking the street"? I can't tell you how many injuries my Dad received as a carpenter or helped with on the job site. How many walls have fallen and crushed someone while the home was being built.

Do you tip the police or firemen too? Their jobs are by no means easy or safe either. I don't get your logic that skilled labor job that requires heights/ladders = tip.

I tip in situations where the employee is likely to make less than minimum wage..pizza delivery, waitress, newspaper delivery or in situations like a hairdresser but I would not tip the cable installer or the plumber as those are skilled labor type jobs that often make decent wages.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: