Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Into the Wilderness (Lodge!) with the Disney Snob...April 2008

Welcome to another Disney Snob trip report...featuring Emma, her four wacky brothers, the loveable buffalo Sunrise, plenty of new adventures, and 500+ pics!! Use the following handy dandy index to find chapters (there's usually about one a page) and journey with the Snobbishes into the Wilderness....Lodge!

INDEX!
Pre-Trip...
-Introduction...this post! scroll down!
-Travel Plans (+ Sunrise Photo Shoot!)...p.1 post 8
-Disney Wardrobe...p.2 post 21
-Can't I Just Leave for Disney Already?...p.3 post 39
-Plato, Packing, and Princesses...p.4 post 49
-Preview Pics...p.6 post 76

The Trip...
-Day 1
--part I...DEPARTURE!...p.7 post 92
--part II...Getting There is Half the Fun!...p.8 posts 110 & 111 (ME and Poly)
--part III...Crowds and Cinnamon Buns...p.10 posts 136 & 138 (MK)
--part IV...the Snobbishes v. the Crowds...p.11 post 160 (MK)
--part V...PAAARTY at the Contemporary!...p.12 post 176 & 177 (Chef Mickey's)

-Day 2
--part I...Sunrise and Stylish Luggage...p.14 post 197
--part II: We Journey into the Wilderness...Lodge ...p.14 post 209
--part III: More Exploring...p.16 post 233 (Old Faithful Club!)
--part IV: Out of the Wilderness and into Hollywood!...p.17 post 249
--part V: Around and About MGM...p.18 post 263
--part VI: From Frenzied Dancers to Peaceful Wilderness...p.19 post 275 (Block Party Bash and WL Room)
--part VII: Dessert and Magic...a Lovely Disney Evening p.19 post 285 AND p.20 post 286

-Day 3
--part I...Sunrise Tours the Animal Kingdom...p.21 posts 307 & 308
--part II...It's Yak AND Yeti time!!!...p.22 post 320
--part III...Escapades at Epcot...p.23 post 334

-Day 4
--part I...Sunrise at the Magic Kingdom...p.24 posts 350 & 351
--part II...THE DREAM!!!!...p.25 post 371
--part III...Portrait of Four Magical Lands...p.27 posts 396 & 397
--part IV...Excuse Me, This Hammock is Reserved...p.28 post 410

-Day 5...The Closure Update...p.29 post 425

Introduction

A herd of two dozen or so buffalo roam across the wilderness of my wall, forming a rather familiar shape.

And these are no ordinary buffalo either. They are Disney buffalo…

Disney’s Magical Express…which I will be taking for the very first time this trip!!

He’s supposed to be a Jungle Cruise skipper…get it? (If you don’t, that’s ok…my mom thought he was cowboy at first… )

Cinderuffalo

Every day another of these unique creatures leaves the herd and makes its way happily into my drawer. They’re happy to go because when another buffalo leaves the herd it means this Disney Snob and her buffalo are one day closer to being at Disney World!!

But no, I’m not bringing a real buffalo to the World. And no, I’m not obsessed with buffalo either. There are two reasons buffalo are forming such an integral part of my trip into the “wilderness” this April. The first you have most likely guessed. My family and I will be staying at the…

Wilderness Lodge! (I stole that pic from the Disney World website, but pretty soon I’ll have my own pics of the WL to post!)

Can you say YEE-haw! ? I know I can!

AND, not only are we staying at the majestic WL, but thanks to Aramis’ (my brother who is a CM) discount, we will be staying concierge (for only 3 nights, but still!)!!

Can you say YEE-haw YiPEE ki-YAY. You know I can!

But you haven’t met Aramis or the rest of my folks yet, have you? Well let’s get on with it!

Emma: You may know me already from my previous trip reports (check out my signature!). I'm your Disney Snob (a title which I’m sure many of you on the Dis are used to being called!), Princess-wanna-be, avid Jane Austen fan, American Girl Doll Collector, lover of all things chocolate and all things Disney, AND college freshman. Phew! Did I cover everything? I think so…moving on…

Betsey: That’s my mom! Super creative, super fun to be with. She’s the Disney planner extraordinaire. BUT this trip she’s letting me take over the reins and plan a few days myself! My plans include a few more adventurous restaurants (I’m really hoping to eat at the Yak n’ Yeti!) and making time to see the new DHS (that’s so weird to type…I still like MGM better!) parade.

Joe: That’s my dad! He’s pretty serious, and won’t really admit he likes Disney but I think he does. He likes historical and scientific stuff, (he drags us to national parks in the summer...some of which, I must admit, are fun) so I think he’ll like the Wilderness Lodge.

Aramis: The cast member brother. He’s in the Disney College Program. Just turned 21. He's into video games and his Wii. The technical reason for this trip is to pick up Aramis from the College Program and help him haul all his stuff home!

Porthos: The cool dude brother. He’s a sophomore in high school…I’d say the title “wise fool” fits him pretty nicely! For some reason he claims to like high school. He’s into sci-fi and military stuff. He loves the roller coasters at Disney.

Athos: The nature-lovin’ brother. A sixth grader who loves animals of all descriptions…mammals, creepy-crawlers, and of course…prehistoric! He loves the Animal Kingdom and Stitch.

Dart: Short for d’artagnan. (I have four brothers, so I name them after the three musketeers+Dart!). He’s the littlest…four years old, but still really cute and still willing to give Minnie Mouse a BIG hug!

There’s one more member of the Snobbish party I’d better introduce you to…and she is the buffalo I’m bringing along!

This is Sunrise. My trip mascot. See, I’m not comfortable posting identifiable pics of myself or my family on the web, BUT I will post as many fun pics of Sunrise as possible. In the past, I’ve brought along an American Girl doll to do photo shoots of, but since this is such a short trip, Sunrise gets to come instead!

Oddly enough, I didn’t buy Sunrise just to be this trip’s mascot! See, back during my winter break, I fell in love with the show Sunrise Earth on Animal Planet. Anyone ever heard of this show? Basically, everyday they show the sunrise for a whole hour in some different part of the world. But what’s best is that there is no commentary. All you hear are the sounds of nature…birds chirping, a stream running, the wind blowing through the trees. It’s so restful! And one morning there were buffalo roaming through the fields. They were so quiet and cool. My mom somehow found a stuffed buffalo and sent it for my birthday!

But now, of course, Sunrise is the perfect mascot for this trip and has thereby demanded that she be brought along! (so she didn't actually VERBALLY demand it, but you get the picture! )

SO now you pretty much know the basics! A short spring trip to the Wilderness Lodge with one snob, two parents, four brothers, and one buffalo! Sound like fun? Then stay tuned!

Up Next: flight drama and Disney World shopping!! (p.1 post 8...scroll down!)

Last edited by AGPrincess; 07-20-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Yay for a new snob TR! And I love Sunrise!
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
dizprincess717
LOVE: It will not betray you, dismay or enslave you - it will set you free.

Hey Emma! I'm so happy I finally get to catch your TR right at the beginning! You'll love the Lodge. It's by far my family's favorite resort.

Isn't Sunrise Earth amazing? I loved the one where they were filming, I believe, Buddhist monks. The chanting was so peaceful. Love that show!

Just Believe

November 1991 -- Fort Wilderness April 1993 -- Caribbean Beach June 1996 -- Wilderness Lodge
Christmas 1998 -- Wilderness Lodge June 2004 -- Fort Wilderness March 2005 -- Caribbean Beach
January-May 2006 -- CP Splash Mnt. Hostess March 2008 -- Off-Site December 2008 - Off-Site
June 2009 -- All-Star Sports November 2012 -- Old Key West November 2014 -- Old Key West

But if I know you, I know what you'll do...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
Yay for a new snob TR! And I love Sunrise!
Yay for the first poster! Glad you like Sunrise...she is really cute, though I do say so myself. They should start making more stuffed buffalo and fewer stuffed bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Hi Emma! I'm so excited that your back with another PTR!! I'm definitely coming along for the ride. Love the buffalo! I can't wait to see what adventures Sunrise finds!!
lol...I'm sure Sunrise will find plenty of adventures! I really want to take her pic by the buffalo topiaries outside the WL (though apparently they aren't always buffalo...sometimes they're geese?? ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizprincess717 View Post
Hey Emma! I'm so happy I finally get to catch your TR right at the beginning! You'll love the Lodge. It's by far my family's favorite resort.

Isn't Sunrise Earth amazing? I loved the one where they were filming, I believe, Buddhist monks. The chanting was so peaceful. Love that show!
Wow! I've never seen the one with the Buddhist monks! There was one with hot air balloons that I thought was pretty cool. I don't get to watch it very often at college b/c my roommate likes to sleep in. Oh well. This summer I'll be watching it every morning!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
tubachick
DIS Veteran
Official DIS "good thread" popcorn supplier

POP 10/12**CR 5/12**POP 2/12**POP 10/11**POP 7/11**POP 3/11**WL 1/11**WL 12/10**POP 10/10**CR 08/10**CSR 07/10** POP 05/10**POP 02/10 ** WL 11/09**WL 08/09**POP 06/09**POP 03/09** ASM 1/09**YC 8/08**ASM 4/08 **ASM 10/07**WL 9/07**DL/PP 4/2007**DCL 3/2007 ** CBR 3/2007**YC 8/2006**CBR 3/2006**CR 8/2005 ** WL (Honeymoon Suite)2/2005**WL(DISNEYMOON Concierge level) 4/2003**ASM 12/2000**ALS 1/2001
LAST! IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE!
Hail thee Babylonia, the goddess of women and all things fertile, and the landmark of the bathroom
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
LISAMWDW
DIS Veteran

I just found your new trip report! I'm in for the third trip! Yahoo!
**2010 DISNEYLAND
2011-ROSEN SHINGLE CREEK**2014-CORONADO SPRINGS & DISNEYLAND

Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Travel Plans (+ Sunrise photo shoot!)

Travel plans…hmmm…that title makes it sound simple, and yet it was actually pretty complicated.

See, my family generally drives to the World. It takes us about a day and a half, but even with gas and a night in a hotel room, it is still cheaper and less painful than paying for seven people to fly to Florida!

My family still is driving to Florida, but since my college is no where near their driving route, I’ve got to find another means of transportation. Here's what I'm thinking....

BUT, unfortunately I do not attend a monorail-adjacent university... So I've got to fly. I’m sure most of you are familiar with how onerous figuring out flights to Disney and such can be, but for me it was a new experience. My family hasn’t flown to Orlando for quite awhile!

And it’s not that I dislike flying. In fact, I think it’s kinda exciting to see new airports and people watch and all that. But flying into Orlando proved to be rather tricky.

First there was the dilemma of when to leave. My family will be getting in on Tuesday night. But I didn’t want to miss too much class. Or work. Or choir. Urgh! See how this is getting complicated?? I won’t drag you through all my deliberations, but eventually I decided that I could leave Tuesday morning and it wouldn’t kill me or make me fail or make me get fired or make me get kicked out of choir. hopefully. Then I could catch a flight back on Sunday.

If only it had been that simple. First off, my family is driving back on Saturday so the boys don’t miss school. That means I would have to leave Saturday. OK, fine. A shorter trip than I’d like, but not the end of the world.

Then I started looking at flights. Flying back Saturday cost an arm and a leg. There was NO way I was going back as early as Friday, and even when we considered finding a place for me to stay Sunday night, flying back Sunday still cost an arm and a leg and several other appendages to boot. There was a flight going into Sanford on Tuesday and out on Saturday that wasn’t horrible, but when we factored in the cost of the taxi ride, it was just as bad as the others.

Things were looking grim. I even started thinking (GASP!) that the trip was not meant to be, and that maybe I should just let my family go without me.

But then I remembered my duty as a trip-reporting Diser and kept looking!

Luckily, I didn’t have to look long! My mom got a letter from Delta warning her that the points my family had accrued over the past year were about to expire. AND it said that she could transfer all those points to another account (namely mine!). SO. We transferred the points.

And there still weren’t enough points to get a round-trip from my college to MCO!

So we had to get creative. I got a cheap one-way ticket to MCO for SUPER early Tuesday morning THEN, I’ll be driving back home with the rest of my family on Saturday, have an evening at home on Sunday, then fly back to college Monday morning! We used the points to get a round-trip ticket from home to college (the returning leg is for when I return home for summer vacation!). It ended up costing us $10 + howevermany points!

So I’ve got some pretty convoluted travel plans, and I’ll be missing a few classes on Monday morning, but at least I’ll be with my family for a little longer and even have a night at home!

Some other exciting travel tidbits:

-My flight on Tuesday leaves at 5 AM, BUT gets into Orlando at 10:40 !! I’ll be at Disney World in time for lunch!! (maybe at Earl of Sandwich – yum yum!)

-I’ll be using Disney’s Magical Express for the first time!!! I’m sooo excited for this! None of my family has ever used ME either, so it’ll be fun telling them about it!

-Unfortunately my mom couldn’t get 4 nights at the WL, so we’ll be staying Tuesday night at a different resort. ME will therefore be taking me to…

the Contemporary! We’ve only got one night here, but it should be fun. We haven’t stayed here since the rooms were renovated, so I can’t wait to check that out!

-My mom got my ME booklet and luggage tags in the mail last week! My family is coming out to see me over Easter, so she’s going to bring it with her then! We should also have some time for shopping (DISNEY WORLD shopping, of course!!) while they’re here, so I will definitely have some more things to report soon!

I felt bad this trip was so sparse photo-wise, so I did a mini photo shoot of Sunrise figuring out what to pack...enjoy!

Sunrise Gets Ready

Sunrise! What are you looking for?

"Disney supplies of course! Are we going to bring the penny book or this princess puzzle?"

"What about this?"

"Or this? (Geez, Emma...practically everything you own has the Disney princesses on it!)" Too true...

"We CAN'T forget the Disney Diary!"

Finally Sunrise just gave up and left the packing to me. Now she spends her time DISing!

I hope everybody has a happy Easter!!

Next Update: p.2 post 21

Last edited by AGPrincess; 05-25-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Good job making it all work. I can't wait to hear about the Contemporary. How's Aramis liking the CP? Any more plans on you doing it?
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
dizprincess717
LOVE: It will not betray you, dismay or enslave you - it will set you free.

** the travel debacle seemed to be a nighmare! So glad you were able to figure it out AND get to spend some time at home with your family.

So. I was at work on Thursday - I work at Barnes & Noble. And I was back in kids. And what do I see? A buffalo that looked an awful lot like Sunrise!

Can't wait to read more!

Just Believe

November 1991 -- Fort Wilderness April 1993 -- Caribbean Beach June 1996 -- Wilderness Lodge
Christmas 1998 -- Wilderness Lodge June 2004 -- Fort Wilderness March 2005 -- Caribbean Beach
January-May 2006 -- CP Splash Mnt. Hostess March 2008 -- Off-Site December 2008 - Off-Site
June 2009 -- All-Star Sports November 2012 -- Old Key West November 2014 -- Old Key West

But if I know you, I know what you'll do...

Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
BabyPiglet
Stop Child Abuse NOW
I'm incredibly obsessive about keeping my fingernails clean
See, I have goals I want

Woohoo! Loved your others TRs, can't wait for this new one.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubachick View Post
Welcome, and pass the popcorn! (Actually, since it's Easter, I think we need some chocolate in here! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISAMWDW View Post
I just found your new trip report! I'm in for the third trip! Yahoo!
Nice to see you again (or rather hear...or read your post...or...you know what I mean! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Wow - you had me worried there for a few minutes that this trip might not happen for you! But since this is a PRE-TRIP REPORT I sorta figured you'd work it out!
I was pretty worried myself for awhile... That's why I waited to start my pre-TR...but now I'm sure this trip is going to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
Good job making it all work. I can't wait to hear about the Contemporary. How's Aramis liking the CP? Any more plans on you doing it?
Aramis does like the CP (especially when he gets to go over to Epcot for lunch! ). He really wants to come home with a bunch of money in his bank account though, so he's been working all sorts of extra shifts! I think that's what frustrates him the most -- you don't exactly earn a ton of money at the CP!

I would definitely love to do it, and I would especially like to try out for a face character or maybe a BBB hostess....hopefully something that involves princesses! However, I also want to go abroad and I don't want to delay graduation, so it looks like I'm going to have to wait until after my senior year of college!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizprincess717 View Post
** the travel debacle seemed to be a nighmare! So glad you were able to figure it out AND get to spend some time at home with your family.

So. I was at work on Thursday - I work at Barnes & Noble. And I was back in kids. And what do I see? A buffalo that looked an awful lot like Sunrise!

Can't wait to read more!
lol -- I think my mom actually bought Sunrise at a Barnes and Noble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiglet View Post
Woohoo! Loved your others TRs, can't wait for this new one.
Welcome back! I should have an update soon -- I got a bunch of cute things this weekend when my mom and I went shopping. I just have to finish taking and uploading the pics...and guess what was in my Easter basket? New crocs!! They're bright pink and green!! (They're flip flop crocs...I think the style is called Athens...I'll have pics soon!)

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful Easter!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
CPer'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post

I think that's what frustrates him the most -- you don't exactly earn a ton of money at the CP!
Now that's an understatement!! But there are so many other benefits to the college program that make it all worthwhile. My DD liked her CP so much that she stayed on as a CT after it was over and still goes down every couple of months to work for a day or so. That way she gets her Disney fix and keeps her ID And of course I can't let her go down all by herself so that's a great benefit to me too!!

Enjoy the rest of your planning

8/28-9/1 DL Dumbo Double Dare!
11/7-9 Wine & Dine
1/8-11 Marathon weekend
2/19-23 Princess GSC
5/7-11 Tink PDC
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
Pirate Me

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb."
Did no one come to save me just because they missed me?

Hey Emma ! My FAV trippie reporter Sooo glad to see you have another trip in the works Lucky you!!! HAPPY EASTER to you and the Snobbish family, ! Pink new crocs, love to see them, also Sunrise is adorable....lucky him coming along this time. Bet you will love WL, are you taking your ipod, again, pls be careful, this time Can't wait to hear more....

Home Resort: BCV
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of
view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." -Atticus Finch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: