Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Bete
DIS Veteran

Question I'm ready to go solo. Other solo travellers, tell me how you do your trip, please.

I'm going in December 2008 to enjoy the holiday season there. There are good reasons why I will be doing this trip solo. It boils down to going solo or not at all. I'll be going crazy with my new high definition video camcorder on this trip. I'm somewhat inclined to be alone; because, I want to concentrate on taking good video and pictures. I went with a cousin in Dec 2007 and I really didn't get to do as much video as I would have liked to do. I don't really think I want to join in any meets, either. My main reason is that I want to spend as much time doing video as I can on this trip. I don't think I'll be going again for a while; so, I really want to concentrate on doing video.

I'm thinking of doing breakfast at the resort food court; so, I can do it before the parks open. I will probably have an early dinner at a quick counter service place in whatever park I'm attending that day. If I'm not hungry, I may opt to wait until I return to the resort and I will have a late dinner there at the food court.

I've been to WDW many times and I've been to most of the table service restaurants. I have no real desire doing TS alone. I'm not self conscious, but I think TS is best enjoyed with the company of another. I may do a buffet like Biergarten; so, I can enjoy reserved seating at a Candlelight Processional in Epcot. It will depend on the speakers, if I go to one or not.

I'm spending 7 days for the trip. If I get done with all the video I want I may be more open to join in with others towards the end of the trip. I may or may not be able to coordinate any meetings at that point.

My real question here is do you think I'll be too lonely doing this plan? Have others spend 7 days all alone? I am feeling a little weird with this plan. I'm so use to going with others; I'm having a hard time knowing if this will be enjoyable.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
acm563
Passionate for Life~Are we there yet?~A dream is a wish your heart makes....~Can we all just get along~No more drama please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I'm going in December 2008 to enjoy the holiday season there. There are good reasons why I will be doing this trip solo. It boils down to going solo or not at all. I'll be going crazy with my new high definition video camcorder on this trip. I'm somewhat inclined to be alone; because, I want to concentrate on taking good video and pictures. I went with a cousin in Dec 2007 and I really didn't get to do as much video as I would have liked to do. I don't really think I want to join in any meets, either. My main reason is that I want to spend as much time doing video as I can on this trip. I don't think I'll be going again for a while; so, I really want to concentrate on doing video.

I'm thinking of doing breakfast at the resort food court; so, I can do it before the parks open. I will probably have an early dinner at a quick counter service place in whatever park I'm attending that day. If I'm not hungry, I may opt to wait until I return to the resort and I will have a late dinner there at the food court.

I've been to WDW many times and I've been to most of the table service restaurants. I have no real desire doing TS alone. I'm not self conscious, but I think TS is best enjoyed with the company of another. I may do a buffet like Biergarten; so, I can enjoy reserved seating at a Candlelight Processional in Epcot. It will depend on the speakers, if I go to one or not.

I'm spending 7 days for the trip. If I get done with all the video I want I may be more open to join in with others towards the end of the trip. I may or may not be able to coordinate any meetings at that point.

My real question here is do you think I'll be too lonely doing this plan? Have others spend 7 days all alone? I am feeling a little weird with this plan. I'm so use to going with others; I'm having a hard time knowing if this will be enjoyable.

Hi I have only did 1 solo and it was for 3 full days,(earlier this month) my initial thoughts were that I would be lonely and BORED... The exact opposite was true. The longest I have ever did WDW with family/friends has been 6 days and I have always been ready to come home because by then I am exhausted..However, on my 3 day solo I did not want to leave and I could have easily stayed another 4 days. I loved being able to stop and take pictures of anything and everything without someone rushing me. I loved doing things at my pace and just enjoying it and taking in all the MAGIC! If you feel like it will be a problem and you know you can do a repeat solo trip later then try 3 or 4 days and see how it feels, I dont think you will regret it. I enjoy and value my solitude but felt it would just "feel" weird to be at WDW alone but now I think it is what I prefer. There is just something about the magic of Disney that if you are a true Disney fan at heart it will capture you whether you are alone or with others. My next solo is in May (but meeting up with DISboard friends as well) I spend time at WDW every year for Christmas and the Candlelight processional is always on my agenda as it is beautiful and there will be even more things to see, video, and keep you occupied in December. So my advice is GO FOR IT!!!! What have you got to lose????
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
DisneyBride'03
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Balcony was great!
The closest I get to "camping" is the campfire!

I did my first solo last dec...am doing another in Sept.....its fun....you can choose to meet up with other disers..for parks..meals...etc....while i did not do 7 days...there are MANY here who do that and have a blast!

hopefully they will ding this thread and chime in! I am going in DEc again...but taking my DD who will 2 1/2 and my cousin.
***runDisney***2010 Inaugural Wine & Dine Half~ 2011 WDW Half~2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 Princess Half~2012 Disneyland Half~2012 Wine & Dine Half~ 2013 Princes Half~2013 Inaugural Dumbo Dare~2013 Wine/Dine

Upcoming: Aulani Feb 2014

1980 Poly~2003 Poly~2003 Poly Fairy Tale Wedding/Grand Floridian~2007 Pop~2007 YC CL DVC Owners ~2007 SSR~2008 BWV/DCL/AKV~2008 OKW~2008 SSR/WL~2008 ASMu/AKV~2009 VWL/BCV~2009 BLT/Swan/Kidani~2009 POFQ/AKL~2010 SSR~ 2010 YC CL/AKV~2011 POFQ~2011 Sports & OKW~2011 Kidani & BCV~ 2011 POFQ ~ 2012 BCV~2012 DL Hotel~2012 BLT/AKV~2013 OKW/BCV~2013 DL Hotel~2013 Pop/SSR
DisneyBride'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Candice30
World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.

my solo trip to disney was over 6 days and not sure i would stay that long again as i did start to get lonely by the end of the trip. one problem i may have had was to commando the parks like i was leaving in 2 days .

if you take things slow an take in the park as you will be doing if you are planning alot of video than you should be fine. i loved the freedom of going solo and did have a blast but not sure i could do xmas time. xmas is such a huge deal for me and my family so being there alone would not be a good recipe for me.
Candice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I went solo in late November - early December in 2005 and I had such a terrific time that I can't wait to do it again this year (same time)! It has the Christmas feel with decorations, etc., but it's not ON Christmas so I didn't get that lonely feeling I might have had if I had gone for Christmas day.

Since you have already been there and know what to expect AND you had a previous trip in which you didn't get to do the taping you wanted to because you had to think of others, this sounds perfect for you! As for the length of your trip, only you can know if you will feel lonely. But the advice given by Candice is great. Take your time and soak up the magic. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. But just in case, bring your cell phone (if you have one) and call your friends/family to break up the loneliness. But a word of advice ... don't keep your phone near your room key - I learned that lesson.

OH! Another tip/suggestion - get Pal Mickey and tote him around the parks. Even though he is just a little electronic gizmo, he's fun to have and it's a great conversation starter with strangers. I can't tell you how many people have approached me during trips to ask me about him.

Enjoy it!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

My first solo trip was last May. This was a 12 day trip and I was solo of all but 2 days. I didn't think that the trip was too long. I found that I was much mroe laid back and tended to head back to my resort in the afternoons before heading back to one of the parks in the evening. This year I am taking a 10 day solo trip in December. Of course December is a long way off so you never know, I may add another day or two.

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
Donald is #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Bete
DIS Veteran

I'm doing my deposit today.

I'm making the commitment and I'm going for 7 days. I think there's only one way to find out if you like going solo and that's to do it. I think Disney World is probably one of the best places to go solo in terms of safety, security, etc.

I will call back home if I'm feeling the blues and I'm too lonely. Talking with family and friends will help, if I need the comfort of it all.

I'm leaving a sickly mother that I caregive in the hands of my husband. I need a break and he's so helpful with doing this for me. I've had a rough year in this regard. I think it's one of the reasons I want to go alone. I don't want to feel obligated to anyone while I'm at Disney World. I'll be calling him everyday and then some to check up on everything anyway.

I still would like to hear how everyone handles their solo trips there. I would like to know if you go to TS meals or CS; do you see more shows and not as many rides, do you join in meets or not? I'm very curious about the details and schedule of a solo trip. Do you do a spa treatment? Do you mostly lounge around the pool? Do you relax and read a good book there? Do you try to do and see everthing at Disney World commando style?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Taja
DIS Veteran

My longest solo WDW visit to date has been 10 nights. A very nice number!

My first solo trip was in 1981--three nights. The only park was MK, but there was plenty to do. It was tagged on to a business trip in the DC area.

My second solo trip was in December 2003. Eight nights. I was still on the DL list, but could do more things than in August (injured both legs about two weeks before August visit). So that's what I did. My speed was slow--up from compound slow.

My third solo trip was in December 2004. Part of the time I was with a group from another board. I think I stayed 9 nights that visit. I spent a fair amount of time with the group the first four days. Most of them left after that, and I was almost completely solo. Met a couple of people for an attraction or meal, but mostly solo. Much more mobile than previous two visits.

The next solo trip was March 2007. Completely out of the blue. Everything booked two weeks prior. Six nights, which was a bit short, but still fun. Met with a family from another board at DTD for a few hours, then did some solo shopping. Not much, but a little!

Since I seem to be the walking wounded most WDW visits, I usually have a list of a few things I really want to accomplish during each solo visit. In March 2007, it was the afternoon parades. Of course, a few things aren't accomplished--haven't managed EE yet, although it was planned for March 2007. However, I met two wonderful ladies who were visiting WDW for the first time on the bus from PC to AK. It was their last day and they had no clue what they were doing! (They thought there wasn't much to do at EPCOT except watch IllumiNations!) You can guess where that went! Well, I did see the afternoon parade, as well as introducing two delightful ladies to AK.

Beyond that, I tend to take a project or two and a book or two with me. I usually have some hand sewing that needs to be completed, and I always have books to be read. Love reading, just don't have time for it regularly anymore.

Do what you enjoy. I'm not a spa or lounge-by-the pool person. If that's what you enjoy and need, include it in your plans.

I didn't do any TS restaurants during March 2007, as it was such a last minute visit. I found the PC food court to be quite adequate with a decent selection. Although I had stayed there two times previously, I really hadn't eaten there. Something else new!

If I manage my visit in December 2008 (pretty uncertain at this point--too much going on in my life, but I'm booking room only--just in case!), I'll probably be at WDW for 10 or 11 nights. Probably two or three TS ADRs, winging the rest. I'll do a grocery stop before arriving at WDW, so I'll have some staples on hand. It's pretty much a trade-off of cost between towncar with grocery stop and DME without for me when I'm solo. The advantage of the grocery stop is selecting exactly what I want at the store.
Taja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
pennylynn
Mouseketeer

I think solo trips are great. Because you get to do what you want, when you want and if there's things that you never want to do there's no one to bug you. You can linger as long as you want or go as fast as you want. It's a great time to explore all the little nooks and grannies everywhere. I have done table service when I've been by myself but not very much simply because I think table service meals are a great time waster. I like them, I just don't like taking so much time out of my day. But then I don't do the parks commando style so I'm probably taking more time at everything. Don't worry about getting lonely. Just start a conversation with the people in line with you, on the bus, where ever. If you need a conversation starter then bring something with you to give away to children. It's a great way to start a conversation. Wear a tee shirt from your home town or local college. Lot's of time someone will ask you about it. Or wear something lime green and see how many diser's talk to you. But mainly, just have a good time.
pennylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
ahoff
DIS Veteran

I just got back from a solo trip, three nights at BW and one at VB. It was very relaxing, went at my own pace and did and saw what I wanted to. Went on several single rider lines, and also spent a lot of time going to the parks just to listen to the various musicians, such as the Village Beatniks in AK, M,S&S at MGM. and Off Kilter and British Invasion in WS. One very cool guy was Jack Diamond, watch for him at MGM, one of the street performers that does some amazing card tricks and other assorted magic. Spent a good portion of a day just laying about the pool. And in the evenings there was JR and AC.
ahoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

OK, let's see. I already posted about the length of my solo stays, so I will concentrate on your other questions. I eat both CS and TS meals. I probably average almost 1 TS a day. I actually eat more TS solo than I do on group trips because my friends and family don't always want to spend the time every day for a TS. Since I am going more frequently now, I like doing the TS meals about once a day to relax and I don't feel like I need to see everything. For touring the parks, when I am solo, I try to get to the park at opening and then I do both rides and shows. I probably do more shows at Epcot when I am solo than I do not solo again because the people I go with don't go as often as I do so they don't want to spend as much time waiting for a show or demonstration. When solo, I also tend to head back to my resort mid-afternoon and spend a couple of hours relaxing at the resort: either on my balcony watching the animals at AKL/AKV, in my room relaxing, or a dip in the hot tub. I then head back to one of the parks in the evening for the fireworks. I tend to watch either wishes or illuminations almost every night. When I am with my sisters/their families, I won't do fireworks as much because they tend to want to head back to the resort.

I tried the SSR SPA on my May trip and I will probably do at least a massage at one of the spas during my December trip.

My touring has definitely changed. In the past, I wasn't exactly commando and I didn't follow a strict plan, but I did tend to do from park opening until after fireworks. Now, I tend to take a break in the middle of the day. I think that may have more to do with my buying into the DVC and knowing that I will be back each year so that I don't have to try to do everything. Actually, it could also be because I am getting older!

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
fakereadhed
The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

Quote:
I'm leaving a sickly mother that I caregive in the hands of my husband. I need a break and he's so helpful with doing this for me. I've had a rough year in this regard. I think it's one of the reasons I want to go alone. I don't want to feel obligated to anyone while I'm at Disney World. I'll be calling him everyday and then some to check up on everything anyway.

I still would like to hear how everyone handles their solo trips there. I would like to know if you go to TS meals or CS; do you see more shows and not as many rides, do you join in meets or not? I'm very curious about the details and schedule of a solo trip. Do you do a spa treatment? Do you mostly lounge around the pool? Do you relax and read a good book there? Do you try to do and see everthing at Disney World commando style?
Good for you!!! You need a break and a solo trip is a great way to pamper yourself. I took my first solo trip because I needed a break from my teenage DD with special needs.

My suggestion is to do whatever you don't do on trips with others. My family hates getting up early and hitting the parks, so that's what I did on my trip. If that's what you usually do, I'd recommend to do the opposite and lounge around by the pool. Figure out what your dream week in WDW is and make it happen(within your budget.) I did a lot of the attractions that my family thinks are "boring" like the American Adventure and One Man's Dream.

I enjoyed TS by myself because I got served instead of serving everyone else at home. The only place that was a little weird for me was the Sci-Fi since you have people sitting behind you at the same table. I highly recommend the Garden View Tea Room for afternoon tea! Very pampering and great solo.

I went to MVMCP solo and had a great time! I did the shows and parade and enjoyed the ambiance instead of doing the rides.

If you are worried about getting lonely, try to meet up with some DISers midweek for a meal or something.

Congratulations on booking your first solo trip!

fakereadhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Bete
DIS Veteran

Arrow Thanks to all for your comments

It's a real booster hearing all your personal stories about your solo trips. Thanks for sharing with me.

I would like to ask one more question. As a woman, did you ever get caught in a risky situation there? I'm not naive and I know bad things can even happen at Disney. I'm a little nervous about the resort surroundings and you can be isolated very fast at many of the resorts. Has anyone had any problems? What should I watch out for? I think I'll be very aware of my surroundings, but that may not be enough. Any hints would be appreciated. Should I use a strategy that if I'm alone with a stranger at the resort to go a different direction from my room or go to a public, more crowded area in a hurry? I don't want to be fearful, but I do need to be more careful or am I just parranoid?

Last edited by Bete; 03-19-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
fakereadhed
The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

Quote:
I would like to ask one more question. As a woman, did you ever get caught in a risky situation there? I'm not niave and I know bad things can even happen at Disney. I'm a little nervous about the resort surroundings and you can be isolated very fast at many of the resorts. Has anyone had any problems? What should I watch out for?
Honestly, I am from the suburbs near one of the most crime ridden cities in the country, and I don't let my guard down anywhere either. The only time I felt vulnerable was at Pop Century at night, walking along the lake alone, and I thought about alligators. That was the only time I felt freaked out about being alone. As long as you aren't naive you will do fine. I always look around, walk with confidence, and avoid dark areas or those lined with bushes. Plus, it would really tick me off if someone tried to mess with me, so they better be ready for a fight.

fakereadhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's a real booster hearing all your personal stories about your solo trips. Thanks for sharing with me.

I would like to ask one more question. As a woman, did you ever get caught in a risky situation there? I'm not niave and I know bad things can even happen at Disney. I'm a little nervous about the resort surroundings and you can be isolated very fast at many of the resorts. Has anyone had any problems? What should I watch out for? I think I'll be very aware of my surrounding, but that may not be enough. Any hints would be appreciated. Should I use a strategy that if I'm alone with a stranger at the resort to go a different direction from my room or go to a public, more crowded area in a hurry? I don't want to be fearful, but I do need to be more careful or am I just parranoid?
I have never encountered a situation at WDW that made me nervous. However, I tend to stay in well-lit areas and at night, I don't stray from the popular areas (i.e. there are always plenty of people around). Where it does impact me is where I stay. When I am by myself, I prefer to stay in one of the resorts that is 1 building. i.e. I like interior corridors when I am solo. That being said, I stayed at SSR solo for the first 1/2 of my May '07 trip and wasn't nervous at all even when I was going back to my room 10-11 at night.

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: