Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Operation: Garden Grill, Day One Part Two

As we finished up our refreshing swim, we dried off, and made our way up to the room to get ready for dinner. After showering and getting dressed, we skipped down to the bus stop. Well, not really, but we could have skipped. We were so happy to be in our favorite place.

Our dinner reservation that evening was for Garden Grill. We’d never been there before, so I thought we could try it for PH’s birthday. Well, we made it to the bus stop at around 5:30 to give ourselves enough time to make our 6:30 ADR. Clearly, we must have just missed the last Epcot bus because it was about 5:55 when another one showed up. I was nervous that we would be late for, or miss our ADR since AKL is not exactly close to Epcot. We made it to the park with just a few minutes to spare, and we made our way over to The Land.

We took note of how packed the place was and decided that it was doubtful that we’d be able to do much of anything after dinner. I went over to check us in and grabbed our buzzer. We took a seat over on the benches next to the restaurant and decided to people-watch as we waited. There wasn’t really much time for that, since the buzzer went off about five minutes later. Once we were seated, we waited a few minutes for our server to come over and introduce himself and take our drink order. He asked if we’d been there before and then went into the explanation of how the dinner went. He didn’t, however, explain that characters would be coming around as we dined. I’m glad I already knew what to expect. Anyway, he sped away and we sat a bit dazed. PH and I decided we weren’t too impressed with the server so far.

Shortly after he left, the first friend of the evening stopped by, and it was Mickey! We hadn’t seen farmer Mickey before, so it was neat and he looked really cute in his outfit.

Then came his pal Pluto.

By this time we had our drinks and first course, which was salad and cornbread and biscuits. Private Happy and I enjoyed the cornbread, but everything else was … eh. Private Goofy wasn’t really impressed with any of it. He’s a tad picky, though.

Next was time for the main course. There was chicken, steak, catfish, potatoes, and green beans. We didn’t care for the steak or the green beans, and the chicken was okay. We did enjoy the potatoes and the catfish, however, and asked for more of those.

While we were waiting, we got visits from these guys.

Chip liked PG’s pen. It lights up when you press down to write with it. We have a Minnie, and Tigger pen like this, as well:

When we got our seconds on potatoes and fish, we were a bit under-whelmed at the portion, considering how little of the other food we actually ate. This, along with the hasty treatment, as well as taking forever for a single refill on our drinks, caused PH and I to deduct even more points from this server. After we finished our meal, the dessert came. It was tasty, but nothing I would write home about. Then, the server showed up with the check, which I paid for in cash, along with the tip, and ultimately had to leave. I generally wait around on the server when paying cash to make sure they get it, but this guy was taking forever, and I was tired of sitting there by that point. The restaurant is cool as it turns, but we’d pretty much made a full revolution by the time we were done with desert. So, that was my cue to exit, and exit we did. PH was stuffed!

Overall, it was a good dinner, and the characters were great. But, I can scratch this place off of my list of restaurants to try. I doubt we’ll be going back there anytime soon, if at all.

After dinner, we decided we would call it an evening and make our way out of a packed Epcot. It was pretty windy that evening, but not cold. It felt really good outside, and we were in our happy place. It couldn’t have been better. We made our way over to the AKL bus stop and waited for just a little while for the bus to get there. As we were there, we took this.

After we got back to the hotel room, we were greeted by turn down service and chocolate. I almost had to fight PG for my chocolate. He loves candy, especially chocolate. Can you tell this was our first time in a deluxe hotel?

Then we settled in to watch a little t.v. before getting some z’s.

Well, the boys watched t.v., I don’t care for JETIX, but I seem to know a lot about it since I am forced to watch/listen to it every single time we go to Disney. PG always commandeers the television while in Disney, and it’s as if there are no other channels on the set. I tried many times to pry the remote from his hands, but none of my maneuvers worked. Resistance was futile so I gave in to the cartoons and the Power Rangers, and whatever else was on there. Did you know that Jackie Chan has a cartoon? UGH…

Anyway, our first evening in our lovely hotel was great. We bid goodnight to our new animal friends and drifted off to sleep.

Up next: Day Two Part One, Operation: Chef Mickey’s and TTA

Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
ampc3
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR great report! beautiful family...
I can't believe you were able to keep the trip a surprise, that is soo cool! I never would have been able to keep my mouth shut ~lol

Can't wait to hear more!

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #18
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampc3 View Post
Just found your TR great report! beautiful family...
I can't believe you were able to keep the trip a surprise, that is soo cool! I never would have been able to keep my mouth shut ~lol

Can't wait to hear more!
Hi there! Thanks so much!

Yes, it was really hard keeping the surprise, but it was well worth it. I don't know if I'd ever be able to do it again, though.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

You're trip report is starting out awesome!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see how surprised they are when they find out they are going on a cruise.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
You're trip report is starting out awesome!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see how surprised they are when they find out they are going on a cruise.

Thanks so much! The cruise surprise was the BEST!!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Operation: Chef Mickey's and TTA, Day Two Part 1

Day two began early due to our 9:30 AM reservation at Chef Mickey’s for breakfast. We all got showered and dressed, and made our way to the AKL bus stop. It was a tad bit overcast this morning, and we were hoping it wouldn’t rain. After a brief wait, the bus for the Magic Kingdom pulled in, and we were off. The plan was to hop over to the monorail and catch a ride to the Contemporary. As we were passing the MK, we could see that it was nearing time for rope drop and the opening ceremony was set to begin momentarily. We had some extra time, so we decided to wait for it, and watched from outside the entrance. Once the train with the characters showed up, we left to get to the monorail station so that we wouldn’t be late for breakfast.

As we were waiting for the monorail, the CM at the station gave us some “wings” stickers. They are basically "pilot wings" stickers. PG promptly stuck his new badge of honor on his shirt and PH decided later to stick his on his wallet. I tried to tell him that it would never stick, but he chose to do it anyway. Ah well. Anyway, once the train got there, two of us were invited to sit in the front car. Well, since there are three of us, I offered for the boys to sit up front, but PH declined. PG ditched us rather quickly and hopped aboard the front car. PH and I sat in the second one, and pretty soon we were off. It was a nice, pleasant little ride and quick as a flash, we were pulling into our destination. As we descended the escalator into the resort, we could see the hordes of people that had converged upon the Contemporary. There were a few large groups of young people, and we hoped that they weren’t ALL dining at Chef Mickey’s at that time.

We still had some time to kill, so we decided to check out a couple of shops while we waited. PH and PG took these pictures as we were wasting time, lolly-gagging around.

Grumpy is PH’s favorite.

After this, we decided it was time to check in for our ADR. Shortly after checking in and getting our picture taken, our buzzer went off and we were seated. PH was given his birthday placemat, so that made him smile. Here's our photo.

The food was great as usual, and we had a great time with the characters, once they showed. Mickey and Goofy were there pretty quickly, but for some reason, it took a while for Minnie, Pluto and Donald to make their rounds. We were pretty much done eating by the time they made their way to our side of the room. They eventually came to see us and it was wonderful to see them, as always. Goofy and Mickey gave the birthday boy some extra attention, which was very nice. We just love Chef Mickey’s. Birthday boy LOVES breakfast, and he loves buffet’s. CM’s is his absolute favorite. Here are a few pictures from the morning.

As we were leaving, I heard someone yell my son’s name, so I turned around to look, not thinking they were actually calling him. Turns out I was wrong. It was one of his many football coaches. This will make the second time we’ve seen someone from the boys’ school at Chef Mickey’s. Pretty popular place!!

After we wobbled out of CM’s, we made our way back up to the monorail station so that we could head over to the MK. As we exited the monorail, we could see that the place was completely mobbed with people. Rather than force our way through them, down Main ST, we chose to ride the train to Toon Town. We took the “secret passage” to Tomorrowland, and were met with another huge mob of people. We’ve been to WDW during Spring Break before, but this was the busiest we have ever seen “The World”.

Anyway, we made our way over to Space Mountain to secure fast passes. Once that was done, we headed over to see what the wait time was for Buzz. It was quite literally, out of this world, so we passed on that. We decided, instead, to ride the TTA a few times while we waited for our FP time. We love the TTA. It is so relaxing, and it is truly a people-watcher’s dream. I enjoy watching all of the people, going here and there, imagining where they are from and so forth. The TTA is the perfect ride after a meal, too. It’s certainly our favorite.

Anyway, after a little while, it was time to hop off and head over to SM to get our ride on. Only PH and I enjoy this one, so it was he and I again, while PG waited patiently for us. It was a great ride, as usual, and afterward, we agreed that we didn’t feel up to managing the crowd that day, so we decided to take the train back to Main ST USA, where we would make our exit. Lots of people were still entering the park as we exited, so this pretty much put a stamp on our idea of getting out of there.

A little animal-watching and a trip to the pool would be the order of the afternoon.

Up next: Operation: Mama Melrose, Day Two part 2

Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
BrittBritt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryncesa View Post

As we were leaving, I heard someone yell my son’s name, so I turned around to look, not thinking they were actually calling him. Turns out I was wrong. It was one of his many football coaches. This will make the second time we’ve seen someone from the boys’ school at Chef Mickey’s. Pretty popular place!!
I love this picture! It's so funny to see him with this small dessert. The dessert makes him look even bigger/taller!

We've also seen people we knew at the most unexpected places in Disney. DH and I were picked to be the extras in the Backlot Tour. As we were taking our places in the scene, someone from the audience was screaming out DH's name. Who would have thought #1 we'd be picked, and #2 we'd know someone there! Coincidence!
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #23
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBritt View Post
We've also seen people we knew at the most unexpected places in Disney. DH and I were picked to be the extras in the Backlot Tour. As we were taking our places in the scene, someone from the audience was screaming out DH's name. Who would have thought #1 we'd be picked, and #2 we'd know someone there! Coincidence!
How cool is that?! I can't wait to see who we run into next time!!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Operation: Mama Melrose, Day Two part 2

When we last left off, the recruits and I were high-tailing it out of the MK with record speed in an effort to escape the huge crowds and the searing sun. Our plan was to head back to the hotel and grab lunch and a swim. The bus arrived fairly quickly, and we were off.

Once we got back to the AKL, we decided to head down to The Mara to grab lunch. We got burgers and nuggets and decided to eat outside since it was a really pleasant afternoon. Lunch was uneventful and we went back up to the room to digest, rest, and animal watch. It was so neat being able to step out onto our balcony and watch our new animal friends. PH was particularly into the giraffe’s. He would get so excited when they came near. I was glad that I’d decided on this hotel for his birthday celebration.

A little while later, we decided we would go down for a swim. We got changed, and took the elevator on down to the neat AKL pool. I wish I had pictures of it, but I can’t be trusted with my digital camera around water for too long. And, I didn’t want to leave it unattended while I was in the water. Anyway, we found a spot for me to hang out when I wasn’t in the pool, and made our way on in. I really like the look of this pool. The boys enjoyed swimming and splashing a while, and I decided I needed a drink . I had been eyeing the pool bar, and this was as good a time as any to head on over there and see what I might like to sample. When it was my turn, I told the bartender to make me a Mango margarita. At least, I think that’s what it was. As he handed it over, I gave him my KTTW card for payment. I took a sip of the drink, and it was good. As I was sipping, I noticed that the bartender had to swipe the card a few times. Hmmm. What was going on here? Finally, he comes over and says that the card wasn’t authorized for charging. I was like, what do you mean? I had authorized PH’s card, as well as mine, so there shouldn’t be an issue. He hands me back the card, and turns out that I was carrying PG’s card. DOH!! I felt like a complete idiot. So, I hand him my license and tell him I’ll be back with the correct card. UGH!! So, I power-walk back to the elevators, and up to the room to get my card, all the while hoping that my yummy drink wasn’t all melted and watery when I got back. When I returned to the bar, there was a line. Luckily, the bartender waved me up to the front, so I could pay and get my drink and license back. All of that all because I had to have a little drinky-poo. Whatever. It was good, and after all that I should have gotten another one.

Anyway, shortly thereafter, it was time to leave the pool and head up to get ready for our evening at DHS. We love this park, if only for RnRC and ToT. PH and I can’t get enough of ToT. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be in the cards for us to be able to ride as much as we wanted this particular evening.The wait for the bus this day was fairly short, so we were on our way in a flash.

Once at the park, we leisurely made our way down the street towards the hat.

PG and I took a seat on the fountain at the corner while PH went to secure FPs for ToT. I took these shots while we waited.

So pretty.

I just love those huge bunches of balloons.

The wait for RnRC was 50 minutes, so it wasn’t looking very promising that we’d be able to ride this one today, since there were no more FPs being given out for that one. Once PH was back, we decided to mosey on over towards the restaurant. We had a bit of time still, so the boys decided to ride Star Tours. They enjoy this one, but me… not so much. I took a seat on a bench and waited (people-watched) while they rode. While I was there, a family came by to take a break. The mom and one of the two little girls went off to the restrooms while the dad stayed behind with the older little girl. It was a really cute family. Well, the dad took a seat on the bench that I was on, and made room for his daughter to sit down. She chose not to, because the seat was next to me. How do I know that the little girl didn’t want to sit next to me? Because the bench next to us became free, and the dad moved over there and the little girl sat next to him. Ah well… anyway, it wasn’t too long after this that the boys showed up and we decided to take a look in the Muppets store.

I picked up a couple of items including a stuffed Kermit and Miss Piggy. I love them. Anyway, after that, it was time to check in for dinner at Mama Melrose.

We had to wait about 20 mintues after our reservation time to be seated. Once we were in, it was nice to be back. We’d been there once before, and it’s one of PH’s favorite places for dinner. We first enjoyed the calamari, and both boys ordered the pizza as an entrée and I enjoyed the chicken parmesan. It was a nice dinner. After that, we decided it was time for our date with the creepy elevator operators over at ToT. As we made our way over, the boys posed for this one.

We got right on ToT and enjoyed our ride as usual. We love this ride. We went up, and I thought we’d go up once more before we dropped, but we went straight back down. WE LOVED IT!! I can’t recall the number of times we dropped, but it was really fun. After that we wanted to ride again, but the wait was really long, and there were no more FPs. We decided to hang out a while, and then get in line for Fantasmic. I believe I have decided that I won’t’ do this ever again. I have seen this show enough times now that I don’t feel the need to get in line to see it again. If I can’t make it into the theater as a “walk-in”, then, I won’t be seeing the show. It was a cool night out, but when you get a group of people lined up (bunched together ) on a path to a theater, it becomes hot and uncomfortable. Nope, won’t be doing that anymore. Nonetheless, when we did make it into the theater, PH went over to grab some snacks while PG and I found some seats. PH came back with some of the stalest popcorn I have ever tasted in my life. Part of me wanted him to take it back, but the other part of me didn’t want to deal with the hassle. Then, it was time for it to begin. I wasn’t ready. I’m never ready. I absolutely hate it. What? No. Not Fantasmic. I hate THE WAVE. I hope upon hope every time we see this show that no one will start the wave, but my hopes are always dashed. At least, this time, it didn’t last as long as I’ve seen it last in the past. Whew!

Fantasmic was great as usual and we left the theater happy! I will never forget the first time we saw Fantasmic and PG had this to say of Mickey once he heard him speak, “He even sounds cuddly.” I swear I will never forget that . After the show it was time to head back to the resort, but PH was bummed. It was EHM at DHS and he wanted to stay. But, unfortunately, it wasn’t to be. We had to get up early the next morning in order to make an Epcot rope drop so that we could accomplish everything we wanted to do that day. So, he dealt with his disappointment and we were on our way.

DHS was great. We love that place, but we don’t really spend all that much time there. We enjoy rides more than just about anything. But, if I ever do a trip without the boys (perish the thought!!) I will take some time and really look around and enjoy more of this park.

Up next: Operation: EP and MK x2, Day 3 Part 1

Last edited by Pryncesa; 04-30-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: precision is key
Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

heyyy! Great TR! You have me completely hooked, can't wait to read the rest and find out how the rest of the surprises went!!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
evildiva
Reading "Twilight Series" has produced unhealthy expectations in men.

Great trip report! I love your photos!

June 1990 Grovsners, April 1995 Magic Music Days (Kissime), April 1997 Magic Music Days (Kissime), July 1997 Cocoa Beach, May 1999 Daytona, November 2005 Pop Century, Apirl - May 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 Pop Century, April 2009 Pop Century (solo), October 2009 All Star Sports (solo), December 2009 Pop Century, April 2010 Pop Century 30th B-Day Trip, October 2010 Pop Century, December 2010 Boardwalk Inn/Podcast Cruise/Beach Club, October 2011 Pop Century, December 2011 Pop Century Solo Disapalooza, November 2013 Pop Century Jingle Jungle 5k, Sept/Oct 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #27
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your report! I can't wait to read about the sea portion of your vacation.

And you sure do have a couple of handsome boys there, Mom!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #28
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhockeymad View Post
heyyy! Great TR! You have me completely hooked, can't wait to read the rest and find out how the rest of the surprises went!!
Thanks you, and thanks so much for reading! Stay tuned!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildiva View Post
Great trip report! I love your photos!
Thank you, you are too kind.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #30
Pryncesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartgoofy View Post
I'm really enjoying your report! I can't wait to read about the sea portion of your vacation.

And you sure do have a couple of handsome boys there, Mom!
I'm so glad to have you. We really enjoyed the sea portion most!! I can't wait to get to that part! I gotta move this "land" part along.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: