Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
mikki.young
Knows Dreams do come true!

Studio coffee mugs

Have you seen the thread on DVC miscellaneous about the mugs and glasses being taken out of studios? I don't like the sound of this!
Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Pootle

DIS Veteran

I am disturbed by this and sent in my views to Member Satisfaction a couple of days ago - had the automated response but no proper reply yet.

Contact details: DVCMemberSatisfactionTeam@disneyvacationclub.com

As I've previously posted, I intend to get an Owner's Locker on my next visit and so will always have own coffee mugs (and kettle etc ) but I think this is a backward step on so many levels.

Let's hope they change their minds.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

Yes I have and I'm definitely going to write to Member Satisfaction on this!
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
.....As I've previously posted, I intend to get an Owner's Locker on my next visit and so will always have own coffee mugs (and kettle etc ).....
I was just going to post to say that perhaps nows the time to get an Owners Locker as you can have your own mugs, plates, cutlery etc.,

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
KayleeUK
Still here.....

I haven't seen this. What is the reasoning behind it, does anyone know?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Pootle

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeUK View Post
I haven't seen this. What is the reasoning behind it, does anyone know?
Thought to be hygiene rather than cost-cutting. Think there has been something in the media about a problem - not sure of details or even if it was Disney. I'm assuming that because there is no dishwasher in the studios, making sure mugs and glasses are cleaned properly is logistically difficult. Just my take on it, the 'official reason' may be very different . This action - which was not announced - has been made worse by someone in MS sending emails in reply to complaints stating that studios had never had real coffee mugs and glassware!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
mikki.young

shouldn't have given Jims email out

Last edited by mikki.young; 03-12-2008 at 02:25 AM. Reason: main DVC boards say email not permitted
mikki.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
dutchie027
Earning My Ears

i can confirm, we just got back from SSRS in a studio last week and had the disposable glasses in lieu of mugs which you'd find in a 1, 2 or 3BR GV...
dutchie027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #9
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

This move will definitely make studios out to be less 'deluxe' than the other DVC accommodations.

Like Moira, I plan to keep mugs, glasses, plates and cutlery in my Owners Locker when I get it so, for me personally, the lack of mugs at the resort won't be such a big issue - but I still don't agree with it!

If hygiene is the issue, I wonder how other resorts (not just DVC) deal with the same 'problem' when they provide in-room coffee making and glassware . Unless this becomes an industry-wide decision for all romms without thier own dish-washer, it certainly seems an OTT reaction.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #10
cindycastle
Earning My Ears

We have recently returned from 7 nights in an AKV studio (23 Feb - 1 March) and they still had mugs (well more like cups) and glasses. Wonder whether these are to be withdrawn in the near future. We usually take our own mugs from home as the ones provided are never large enough for my cup of coffee, so it will make no difference to us if there are no mugs.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

This is a real backwards step. It was bad enough that there were no proper plates, cutlery or wine glasses in the Studios, but to remove the mugs, glasses and washing-up liquid is a real backwards step. When dh and I stayed in a Studio at SSR last August, we had just four paper plates, four paper bowls and no cutlery whatsoever for an 8 night stay! They claim the decision has been made because there are no dishwashing facilities. What on earth do they think a sink, washing-up liquid and a tea-towel constitutes?

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
mikki.young

It is daft. Maybe if enough people email and complain they will come to their senses. And this all from a problem that was found at the Contemporary!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
1000th happy haunt
My source is knowledgable, but unofficial
In awe of Maleficent & her powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycastle View Post
We have recently returned from 7 nights in an AKV studio (23 Feb - 1 March) and they still had mugs (well more like cups) and glasses. Wonder whether these are to be withdrawn in the near future. We usually take our own mugs from home as the ones provided are never large enough for my cup of coffee, so it will make no difference to us if there are no mugs.
It looks like the changeover occured on 5 March.

Rita

1000th happy haunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

I am suprised by how cross I feel about this, the lack of proper plates and cutlery has always bothered me, I admit when we checked into our studio for the first time and discovered plastic and paper I was shocked. I have always purchased a wine glass because the thought of drinking wine from the tumbler provided goes through me, but they were useful for juice and I enjyed my coffee from a proper cup. It seems that Owners Locker grows more appealing for us.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
Thought to be hygiene rather than cost-cutting. Think there has been something in the media about a problem - not sure of details or even if it was Disney. I'm assuming that because there is no dishwasher in the studios, making sure mugs and glasses are cleaned properly is logistically difficult. Just my take on it, the 'official reason' may be very different . This action - which was not announced - has been made worse by someone in MS sending emails in reply to complaints stating that studios had never had real coffee mugs and glassware!
H hon

Mmmm I don't like this at all - I am going to send an email to them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: