Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #121
Fall1
DIS Veteran

Thank you to the OP! I could not believe it, I brought about 7 pieces of old gold jewelry, junk really that I never would have worn and got $500 for it!! I could NOT believe it! That should just about cover our flight for our next trip!!
Oct 2004 GF/BC Honeymoon, Oct 2005 BC, May 2006 BC, Oct 2009 BCV (twins 1st trip!), Oct 2010 BCV, Feb 2011 AKV, Oct 2011 BCV, Dec 2011 AKV, Mar 2012 SSR, Nov 2012 BCV, Apr 2013 BCV, Oct 2013 SSR, Apr 2014 1st Disney Cruise!! & BCV
Upcoming December 2014 BCV & 1st Universal trip!
me DH DS 7 DD 7
Fall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #122
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Fall1, sending you PM with questions.
gardenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #123
disneydreamer21
disneydreamer

I've been following this thread and I've gone from scavenging for gold jewelry in my old jewelry box, to begging my DH to sell his college ring! How sad is that! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has heard of their gold being only 21 carats? My DH's ring says clearly, 21 carats. Am I crazy or blind? His ring is SUPER HEAVY! I could get a fortune!
disneydreamer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #124
DISNEYLOVER70
Speaks softly but carries a big stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYLOVER70 View Post
I am going to try to make it the gold buyer tonight after work. If not, I will have to go on Saturday.

Here is what I dug out of my jewelry box:

14K : 2 band rings (1 wg, 1 yg)
1 CZ stone ring yg

2 pendants (teddy bear, 1/4 amethyst solitaire)

1 rope bracelet with filigree center design

2 necklaces ( 18" hollow rope, 24" twisted chain)

10K : 3 rings ( lab ruby wg, lab emerald yg, blue topaz yg)

1 tie tack with "R" raised on it and 3 diamonds (good size diamonds too)
bought at an estate sale, only paid $25 for it, I thought I would remove the diamonds one day but that was 15 years ago!!

My husband just laughs at me. He's like "You are starting to scare me, hope you don't sell me and the kids" I said "No, I would sell myself first" He said "I don't even think so". We have so much fun messing with each other!!

Anything to get to Disney I told him!!

Wish me luck. I will be happy with anything. I will let you all know how I make out. Anyone want to make any guesses?? More Disney money.................Woo Hoo

Update~ Got 315.00 for my stuff!!!! Going to dig for more stuff to sell

DISNEYLOVER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #125
DMickey28
DIS Veteran
Comes from a very square 1950's Leave it to Beaver type family.
Kaboom! is my new best friend!

OK I pulled out my old gold. Not too much but some old rings from boyfriends in HS and some chains, necklaces and stuff.

How do I go about looking for someone to sell this to? I have googled but came up with the mail in places but nothing local.

Do you think calling a local jewelry store and asking them? Mostly we have the chain places in malls and such. I am around Ft. Lauderdale FL but going up to Orlando for a few days. Anyone in any of those areas that can recommend where to start?
DS#1 Alexander Stephen 2.5
DS#2 Ryan Bradford Arrived 3.22.2010 @ 9:58AM 7lbs 13oz 20 inches
DMickey28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #126
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I've been following this thread too and I've scrounged up a few things. But I can't find any markings either. How can you tell what is gold and what isn't? I don't want to go in with junk pieces.
I'd love to do a home party too. Anybody know of anything in NH or where in NH to take gold?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #127
mom23boys
DIS Veteran

I brought some jewelry to a local shop on Thursday.

Some broken braclets (san marco, byzenten, etc.)

2 rings, kind of thin gold.

Several thin ankle bracelets and thin necklaces most of them kinked and broken.

I got $414 for all of it.

I was excited. None of the stuff was sentimental and was just taking up space.
2005 - BCV; Jan 2006 - FW Cabins; Sept 2006 - CR - 15th Anniversary Trip with DH ; August 2007 - Poly; July 2009 - Beach Club - family of the day upon check-in and upgraded to club level. YEAH February 2010 - Kadani Villas - Animal Kingdom; 2013 Caribbean Beach - DS play baseball at WWS and won the tournament

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me : DH DS DS DS
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #128
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Look in phonebook under: jeweler / pawnshops / gold buyer or refiner. Look for the ads that say they buy gold. I've had no luck with anyone quoting me over the phone. As stated earlier in this thread, none of our mall stores buy gold. I had to go to a small-town locally owned jeweler but his price is low ball at $6/gram, so I didn't take it. You can look online also for places, just do your research on them!! OP of thread had a mall jewelry repair kiosk buy hers. Ours doesn't. Research, research, research.

All my pieces were marked 14K IF they were. I had to use a magnifying glass to read some, but I have bad eyes.

On bracelets & chains & anklets, I found it either up by the clasp, on the clasp or on the clasp tongue.

On rings, it should be inside were you would engrave something.

I put the pieces that were marked 14K into 1 baggie & others into a different baggie. The jeweler could tell the 14K pieces just by looking at them. On the unsure pieces, he quickly looked at the bunch & pulled out 1 that looked like gold to him & had to read the marking. The marking was for something else, but I don't know what it was for but it must look like gold if he pulled that 1 piece from the bag to check it. Same for the old boyfriend ID bracelets which looked like gold, but they are marked with something else.

Other pieces you can just tell from the color when compared to real gold.

I'm glad everyone is making money. I'm just super bummed that you all list a couple of items & are making lots more than I am. boohoo

Last edited by gardenhoe; 03-09-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #129
preb
DIS Veteran

Run a magnet over your stuff. If it sticks, it's not gold!

HIFS 3/01
HIFS 11/01
Vistana Villages 9/02
Dolphins Cove/Disneyland Hotel 2/03
Disney Magic-Eastern 9/03
Disney Wonder 4 day and BCV 11/04
Universal RPR and PBH plus Daytona 500 2/05
Girls Only Trip POP 11/05
Nick Suites and Hard Rock Universal 1/07
Universal Hard Rock/Marriott Cypress Harbour 11/08
Girls Only Trip POP 5/10
Contemporary/Disney Dream 1/11
Universal Hard Rock Spring Break 2014
preb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #130
dizkids
DIS Veteran

Sorry if this has asked, but what about gold items with stones in them. I have a diamond heart necklace. Do you get the stones back or do you have to have them removed before? I also have rings that are ruby and diamond(small) and same for sapphire and diamonds.
dizkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #131
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizkids View Post
Sorry if this has asked, but what about gold items with stones in them. I have a diamond heart necklace. Do you get the stones back or do you have to have them removed before? I also have rings that are ruby and diamond(small) and same for sapphire and diamonds.
Are you using an online place? If so, you need to remove them before sending in the gold.

The stones will need to be removed by someone (you or them) in order to weigh just the gold.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #132
SunKat
My Mom made me wear those Wonder Bread bags
Between the hot slides and the short shorts sometimes we just got stuck

I'm loving this thread! Today I rummaged through my jewelry box and found a few things that I can sell. Four earrings (each has lost their mate), a charm, a ring, and a fairly thick bangle bracelet. I can't wait to find out how much I get for them! I think I'm going to go to a local place that buys gold but also seems to be a jewelry store/pawn shop type of shop. I'll report back tomorrow!
Beach Club December 1992 , Beach Club December 1994 ,Beach Club December 1997 Beach Club December 1999. Caribbean Beach Resort February 2005 and 2006(& a side trip to Naples and Sanibel Island) Pop Century February 2006. $aving for our next Trip!$!!

"'I can't bite you.... 'cause it will hurt...."
- Rob Pattinson, NYC, 11/4/08 ....
SunKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #133
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Anyone near SALEM, NH?
http://www.eagletribune.com/pubiz/lo...061005449.html

If anyone tries the Cash for Gold place on Rt 28 (527 S Broadway, Salem, NH) interviewed at end of the article, please let me know. I'll be driving right by there on Sunday. I would be interested in knowing what you were paid per gram or pennyweight for 14K. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #134
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

I wasn't offended at all. It just made red flags go up for me that hadn't been there before. Thank you for answering the questions & being honest.

The "no soliciting" thing is a DISboard rule. If you can find a way to be helpful & answer questions without plugging your company in every post, they might let you stick around longer. lol

We are a tough bunch here when it comes to our Disney funds. We work HARD for that money.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #135
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

I had a feeling last nights dialogue would be deleted by the mods. Glad I copied & pasted the one post with answers to my questions. I'm feeling better about the online company this morning.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: