Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #106
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

I FOUND A CONVERSION TABLE!!
http://www.kitco.com/jewelry/dwt-oz-gram.html

Ex: I know I have 18.5 grams of 14K gold. It was weighed per jeweler.
So I type in 18.5. Check off the grams button & click submit.
The answer comes back as:
18.5 grams = 11.8971061093248 DWT = 0.59478875032633 Ounces

I can take that 11.9 DWT (pennyweights) & go to any of the online sites to see how much they are paying per pennyweight for 14K gold.

So.... my local jeweler wanted to pay me $6 per gram for 18.5 grams or $111.
That goldfellow.com site pays $13.76 per DWT (pennyweight) which is 13.76 x 11.90 = $163.75

A difference of $52.75 which is A LOT considering my small amount of jewelry. NOW YOU CAN DO YOUR COMPARISON SELLING TOO!!!!
I'm uploading a photo to show just how little gold I have. (Hope this works. First time posting photo.)

Remember, if you are looking at the .59 ounce answer from the conversion table & thinking you can just multiply .59 times todays gold price....the gold price is for 24K gold. 14K is only 58.3% (??) of 24K...and then you have to subtract all the middlemen cuts out of that. Dealer, refiner..... You might get 60% (per that article metioned much earlier in thread.)
Ex: My .59 ounce x $980/oz (just using a price for todays gold) x .583 (58.3% since I have 14K not 24K) x maybe .60 (60% if I found a generous buyer) = $202.26.

You can see my jeweler was REALLY cheap at $111.

Last edited by gardenhoe; 03-08-2008 at 02:27 PM.
gardenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #107
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhoe View Post
Actually, they need to have the check back in their hands by 10 days after the date on the check. In those 10 days, they need to get the check out of their office, it goes thru the mail, you decide & you mail it back, & they acknowledge they received it.
That's true that it's 10 days from the date on the check, but it also says that "If you have any concerns that your check will not make it in time please call (our number) to speak to one of our customer service representatives so that we may pull your material before the refining process begins. No questions asked."

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #108
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

I checked out that goldfellow.com site. At least I know what I'll be paid since I have WAY less than 10 OUNCES. And they take video of envelopes coming in & being opened. Photo of your items sent to you with quote. I'm still doing some research, but I like sounds of them more now than the cash4gold site. I might not use cash4gold even though I requested a kit.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #109
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

I printed out my kit for **********. Along with filling in the packing list they have, I think I'm including that photo I took of my gold IF I GO THIS ROUTE. Or I'll take another with the gold & the paperwork all together. Just more documentation as to what I sent them. I think I'll also include the weight of gold on the paperwork since I know what it is.

They use FedEx & the envelopes are insured for $500. Tracking #s. Photographed & videotapped when opened.

I'm usually not a gambler at all. If my amout was much larger I probably wouldn't even think about doing it online. I'm thinking about taking the chance on this one to get the most that I can since prices seem to stink locally.

I've got one more place I want to call. Its the place roadtripper is talking "party" with.

Last edited by aka-mad4themouse; 03-10-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: removed link to spammer website
Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #110
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Gardenhoe - Thanks for the info! I was laughing at your pic because DH has that exact same rope chain and bracelet. But he hasn't said I can sell them. He is pondering turning over his class ring, but I think it is only 10K.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #111
ZanneMarie
DIS Veteran

This is a really interesting idea. I have a ton of 10k award pins/pendants from a company that I am no longer with and I have no interest in keeping them. I also have a bunch of 14k jewelry (bracelets/rings) from this same company that is really quite chunky and gaudy that I never wear. I am totally game for selling it ALL!!

There is a 'show' in my area this weekend that I may try to get to. You know one of those companies that use the meeting rooms at a local hotel. I am a bit leery but hopeful. I wish I had had a chance to price other local stores to see if anyone was buying and at what price.

The company doing the show is Goldmans..their website is www.bestpricegoldmans.com. Has anyone heard of or used them? I guess it might be worth the drive just to check it out.

Last edited by ZanneMarie; 03-08-2008 at 08:16 PM.
ZanneMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #112
wdw_dine_junkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhoe View Post
I printed out my kit for *********. Along with filling in the packing list they have, I think I'm including that photo I took of my gold IF I GO THIS ROUTE. Or I'll take another with the gold & the paperwork all together. Just more documentation as to what I sent them. I think I'll also include the weight of gold on the paperwork since I know what it is.

They use FedEx & the envelopes are insured for $500. Tracking #s. Photographed & videotapped when opened.

I'm usually not a gambler at all. If my amout was much larger I probably wouldn't even think about doing it online. I'm thinking about taking the chance on this one to get the most that I can since prices seem to stink locally.

I've got one more place I want to call. Its the place roadtripper is talking "party" with.

If you go with *********, please let us know your experience. They are sending me an envelope in the mail, I hope to get it this week.

Last edited by aka-mad4themouse; 03-10-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: removed link to spammer website
wdw_dine_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #113
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post
Gardenhoe - Thanks for the info! I was laughing at your pic because DH has that exact same rope chain and bracelet. But he hasn't said I can sell them. He is pondering turning over his class ring, but I think it is only 10K.
As you can see from my picture, that rope chain is the only thing of significant weight that I have. I'm thinking of "misplacing" another one that DH still wears daily along with an eagle charm on it. ($$$$ ) I need a smilie sticking finger in her mouth to gag. lol

I sure wish our high school rings were gold. However our school forbid the ring company from selling us gold rings that year because the price had sky rocketed to $500 / oz at the time. They said it was a waste of money.

I hope this doesn't become addicting. lol DH is on his 3rd wedding ring from me. He wears them out so badly. #1 & #2 are sitting in the drawer all bent up & thin. I lost my original wedding set. I'm on a replacement set too. lol

Oh. It turns out the 2 ID bracelets from boyfriends & some other misc pieces were not gold. Too bad because they were nice & heavy. There is still a 90's light chain & charm holder in the drawer. No way could I sell my mickey charm. lol

DH comes from a gold family. I sure don't. I would love to go thru his mother's jewelry box or his former step dad's. lol

Last edited by gardenhoe; 03-08-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #114
bgsnmky
DIS Veteran

I am curious if anyone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area has sold any jewelry.

Also, has anyone had any luck finding information on the goldswap company for the house parties. I haven't been ablt to find anything.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #115
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

I wasn't able to either.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #116
4fosterkids
DIS Veteran

I'm curious if anybody in So California has had any luck selling or has seen any of these parties advertised.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding markings on a few things that I'm almost positive are real gold. Any suggestions? I need to invest in a magnifying glass too
DCL Fantasy 6/12* Dis Diva's DL trip 2/12*WDW 570 Girls trip 1/12 * Aulani trip 8/29/11 * WDW 3/2011*Dis Diva DL 3/2011*DCL Cruise to nowhere 1/2011*Zeta Beach trip WDW AKL 7/2010, Dis Diva's girls trip to DLR 2/25-3/1*Disney Magic Panama Canal 8/08 TOAL *Island GirlsWDW trip 10/07*Paradise Pier Concierge 08/07*Girls trip to WDW 2/07*Parker's Wish Trip on Wonder 12/3/06 *Girls WDW Trip 9/29/06* WDW Poly & WL Holidays 12/05*DL Hotel 9/05 * Disney Magic West Coast 7/2/05*WDW Pop/Polynesion 3/04 * WDW AK/ GF 3/03*DL Grand Californian 9/02 * WDW Beach Club 3/02*WDW Beach Club 4/00 * DL Disneyland Hotel 9/00
4fosterkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #117
Jaycey'smom
Mouseketeer

I was reading all your posts and thought I had a few broken/old peices that I could sell. So I called my Aunt (who used to own a jewerly store) and asked her if she could tell me how much I could get. All of my stuff was 14K and she gave me over $14 a gram. And I know that 24K is worth about $21 a gram right now b/c I was wearing a Krugerand my dad bought for me from her so she showed me how much it was worth. I don't know if I will be wearing it as much anymore...lol! Oh I forgot to add for the little bit of stuff I took her she gave me $431!! and I did not have alot!
Jaycey'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #118
Misty89
DIS Veteran

so where do we check at local places? Like chain type stores or independents? I have some stuff and i do not wear any of it ( all from when i was a teenager)
I sure could use a few extra $$!!!!!!!!!!!

Tina
Old 03-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #119
mnasmom3
Dear mnasmom3,
You are not tagless
Sincerely,
The Snarky Purple Fairy

Just cleaned out my gold and I have 2.5 ounces of 14 and 10k golds I'd like to unload. Anyone in SE michigan know the best place to do this? I'm also considering a goldswap type party if anyone has any contact info for someone reputable in SE Michigan.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #120
ZanneMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnasmom3 View Post
Just cleaned out my gold and I have 2.5 ounces of 14 and 10k golds I'd like to unload. Anyone in SE michigan know the best place to do this? I'm also considering a goldswap type party if anyone has any contact info for someone reputable in SE Michigan.
I went to a sale held in a hotel conference room today and had a good experience. I had done lots of research ahead of time and did talk them up in price but they were not too far off from what I had been seeing online. They are based in Flint and will be in Ann Arbor area next weekend I think. Their website is www.bestpricegoldmans.com. I don't know if they do parties...I was going to ask but forgot while there.

I am editing to add: I went back to the goodfellow website and some others that I had been using for comparison pricing and the price that I got a the hotel sale today was within $2 of what I would have gotten sending it in and better than I estimated using other website info. I am thrilled that I did so well!!! I think I am going to call this place and see if they will do a gold party for me.

Last edited by ZanneMarie; 03-09-2008 at 04:01 PM.
ZanneMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: