Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #91
lisaross
DIS Veteran

I don't know how many Grams per ounce, but my 1st run at cashing in my gold, i got 920.00 and price that day for an ounce was about 937.00 i don't know how to figure it out but maybe someone here can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhoe View Post
So far here's what I've been offered for 18.5 grams of 14K gold in small thin chains, one thicker heavier rope chain & a couple thin bracelets. I'm not taking either yet.

1. small local jeweler weighed & offered $6/gram for $111
2. craigslist local guy (based on info I provided in email) about $100

I wish more people would get their weight & price per gram for comparing. I still think I'm being screwed based on the math in that article from earlier in this thread.

ETA: Meant to include that based on math in the article, and based on their figure of $958 / ounce for 24k gold at the time, my 18.5 grams of 14K gold should be about $180. Even higher with todays prices.

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING (on hold)

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #92
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

cash4gold.com

Okay, I got my mailer from cash4gold.com today. It seems pretty legit. from what I've read on it. It came with a little ziplock-type baggie to put items in and a card with my address printed on it that I was to put in the envelope with the baggie. It had a tracking number for me to copy down so I can check on the progress on their website. There were two options for payment to choose from on the card, paper check or "fast cash" where you send a voided check and they will deposit your $ into your account (I think that one charged a fee). I wasn't comfortable with giving them access to my bank account so I opted for a check. I just put it in the mail today, it says it will take 3-5 days for payment, I assume that's after they receive it.

The address is in FL so it will probably take about a week to get there since I'm in WA state.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #93
lisaross
DIS Veteran

Also checked my recipt and i had 1 H.S. ring which was 10K and for that ring i got $55.00 - not sure what the price was for 10k!

hope this helps.

lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaross View Post
I don't know how many Grams per ounce, but my 1st run at cashing in my gold, i got 920.00 and price that day for an ounce was about 937.00 i don't know how to figure it out but maybe someone here can!

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING (on hold)

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #94
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preb View Post
Woops! I hit submit before I finished answering!

The going rate here is 10% for the party host. Since that could really add up quickly, I'd make sure to have a nice spread for your guests! Will he let you serve "drinks" at his shop? If not, maybe 5% would be more inline. Have your people RSVP so you know what to expect. We had 23 people on Wednesday.
Thanks for the tips-- I was wondering about the drinks in the shop thing, too. We haven't gotten that far in the planning-- he is checking with the local PD to make sure it's OK.

I'll post when I have more info!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #95
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Those places that send you an envelope to send your gold into them really raise my red flags. I'm sure you'll get paid, but I bet you get paid a heck of a lot less than what you might get by taking it down to a pawnshop or jewelers. Unless I'm missing something here, you don't get a chance to approve or disapprove the price they give you, so really, they can give you whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be generous.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #96
Clemson Cruiser
Earning My Ears

Last year I used Goldkit.com. When they receive your package,they price it and send you a quote via email for your approval before they proceed.

Well, they claim they never received my package. I didn't consider sending it certified, getting insurance, etc. Lesson learned. After several months of back and forth they sent me a settlement for $33. This was for several broken chains, 3 bracelets, and at least 2 rings, probably more. I am now sick after reading what others are receiving.

Next time I will go locally where I have more control.
Clemson Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #97
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn View Post
Those places that send you an envelope to send your gold into them really raise my red flags. I'm sure you'll get paid, but I bet you get paid a heck of a lot less than what you might get by taking it down to a pawnshop or jewelers. Unless I'm missing something here, you don't get a chance to approve or disapprove the price they give you, so really, they can give you whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be generous.
Actually, you have 10 days to say "no" after you get your check. If you don't get the check mailed back in 10 days you can still call them and they will send you back your jewelry as long as you don't cash the check.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #98
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Ah ok, that does sound a lot better then.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #99
Tricia1103
Earning My Ears

I just took some jewelry into a local jewelry store the other day. I took in:

1 pr of earrings
1 THIN ankle chain
1 THIN necklace (no pendant--chain only)
1 bent ring
1 THIN ring
1 broken bracelet

Total = $154

My mom took in a lot more stuff including a pendant with 3 diamonds. She ended up with $2100 for the pendant and $550 for the misc gold.

Our 6th visit: 9/3-9/11 2014 POFQ

Tricia1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #100
vellamint
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson Cruiser View Post
Last year I used Goldkit.com. When they receive your package,they price it and send you a quote via email for your approval before they proceed.

Well, they claim they never received my package. I didn't consider sending it certified, getting insurance, etc. Lesson learned. After several months of back and forth they sent me a settlement for $33. This was for several broken chains, 3 bracelets, and at least 2 rings, probably more. I am now sick after reading what others are receiving.

Next time I will go locally where I have more control.
This is what makes me nervous also. It says the envelope that you send it in is insured but for how much? Maybe it would be better to go to the Post Office and insure it yourself? Anyway I sent away for the kit also and may send in a bunch of missing half earrings just to test it out.....

Also - does anyone know ANYTHING about these jewelry parties in NY....I would LOVE to host one of these if it is legal. And could anyone explain to me why it wouldnt be legal. Is it because of tax laws or something?
05/14 Disney College Program #2! Kidani
02/13 Disney Fantasy & CSR -- 05/13 AKV Mothers Day!! -- 06/13 WL -- 08/13 OKW --10/13 POR F&W/MNSSHP -- 12/13 ASP MVMCP/Candlelight! -- 02/2014 Disney Fantasy
01/13 -- Disney College Program!! - SSR
02/12 Disney Dream -- 08/11 BLT - Kids 1st Trip "Home" -- 09/11 POR F&W/MNSSHP
11/2010 Disneyland Paris For My GIRLS SWEET 16!! (Sequoia Lodge)
08/09 All Star Sports -- 11/09 BWV & Disney Wonder -- 2/2010 The Disneyland Hotel -- 10/10 BLT F&W/MNSSHP
01/09 Grand Floridian & Disney Wonder -- 8/08 Hard Rock Hotel & Cypress Pointe & Pop Century --
2/08 Animal Kingdom Villas --
8/06 All Star Movies & Venetian Villages -- 4/06 Grand Californian
3/05 Wilderness Lodge Villas -- 8/04 Disneyland & DCA -- 2/04 Boardwalk Villas -- 8/03 HIFS & Marriott Cypress Harbour
1/03 Beach Club Villas & Old Key West -- 4/02 Radisson Twin Towers & Caribbean Beach -- 8/00 Holiday Inn Sunspree
vellamint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #101
gardenhoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
Actually, you have 10 days to say "no" after you get your check. If you don't get the check mailed back in 10 days you can still call them and they will send you back your jewelry as long as you don't cash the check.
Actually, they need to have the check back in their hands by 10 days after the date on the check. In those 10 days, they need to get the check out of their office, it goes thru the mail, you decide & you mail it back, & they acknowledge they received it.

As fas as not knowing how much they will pay, their website does give what they are paying for each type of metal. I ordered a kit yesterday, BUT then realized that their great price per pennyweight for 14K was for 10 oz - 50 oz. That's alot of gold. I only have 18.5 grams. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce.

So my question now is, WHAT ARE THEY PAYING FOR LESS THAN 10 OUNCES? I'm not sure if I'm going this route yet after all.
gardenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #102
mantaz
I just thought my computer was tired of dissing

Here is what I took yesterday to my local jewlery store. I got $400. I was happy. Most of it came from working in a clothing store. People lost necklaces, earrings, and bracelets all the time while trying on clothes. They never came to reclaim it so the finder got to keep it.

I would definetly try local jewlers over sending it through the mail. If you don't like the quote then try another store.

mantaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #103
wdw_dine_junkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhoe View Post
Actually, they need to have the check back in their hands by 10 days after the date on the check. In those 10 days, they need to get the check out of their office, it goes thru the mail, you decide & you mail it back, & they acknowledge they received it.

As fas as not knowing how much they will pay, their website does give what they are paying for each type of metal. I ordered a kit yesterday, BUT then realized that their great price per pennyweight for 14K was for 10 oz - 50 oz. That's alot of gold. I only have 18.5 grams. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce.

So my question now is, WHAT ARE THEY PAYING FOR LESS THAN 10 OUNCES? I'm not sure if I'm going this route yet after all.
www.goldfellow.com lists smaller weights, that's why I figured I'll give them a try.
wdw_dine_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #104
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

I'm from central MA and would be interested in attending a gold selling party if anyone is organizing one. Also, in the Worcester Telegram this week there was a large article about the price of gold. It mentioned a jewelry store in Southboro that had a gold purchasing day or days recently. Shouldn't be too hard to track down.
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #105
JacobsMommy11002
DIS Veteran

Depednding where in MASS it is, I may be interested, too
JacobsMommy11002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: